TTC After a Loss

Experience with D&C? Please share.

dragonfly87-2dragonfly87-2 member
edited January 2018 in TTC After a Loss
Sorry if this isn't the right place to post, but I wasn't sure. If it isn't, I can rename and erase the thread. I just couldn't think of another board or area that would be able to provide responses. I was previously a participant on this board after my CP back in December 2016 and you ladies were helpful, now I find myself in a different situation.

***TW***I am currently 8 weeks postpartum*** and I found out today that I have partially retained placenta that is causing non-stop bleeding. Because it poses a risk of infection or hemorrhage, my OB recommended a D&C. 

I have never had any kind of surgery or been put under before. I know it's a short procedure, but I have a lot of anxiety about it. The past few weeks have been a whirlwind of issues from dealing with an abscess in my breast that had to be surgically removed but while awake and with local anesthetic (making breastfeeding difficult on the right side), multiple rounds of antibiotics and now dealing with this. I don't know if it's having the procedure or just everything piling up that is making me anxious.

Given the unfortunate reality of why many of you ladies are on this board, I figured there might be some who had a D&C. Would you be able to share your experiences? Was it painful after for recovery? Does it impact future fertility? 

Thank you in advance.

Re: Experience with D&C? Please share.

• @dragonfly87-2 I’m not sure how others will feel but I’m fine with you asking this question here.

TW I had a D&C in early November. I was only 6 1/2 weeks and we were trying to test the tissue in the hopes of understanding my third loss. I was put under very briefly - I think the procedure was only about 15-20 minutes for me, woke up maybe an hour after I went to sleep. I had some cramping but they give you pain stuff which helps. I stayed in bed and rested that day and then the next day was back on my feet. I did have some residual cramping over maybe the next 4 days, but it wasn’t terrible at all. I did have the worst period ever my first cycle post-procedure. However,being pp I expect your first period will be terrible no matter what. 

The biggest risks are that your ute could be punctured or you could develop Asherman’s (adhesions). Make sure you have a dr who performs these procedures regularly. I think in your case the risk of NOT doing this is much highter to your overall fertility than having the procedure. Unfortunately it’s a pretty common procedure and is low risk. I would also ask your dr what to expect as your mileage may very given you just gave birth. Good luck to you.
  • dragonfly87-2dragonfly87-2 member
    edited January 2018
    @zamora_spin thank you for sharing your experience. Sorry for your losses and having to go through the procedure.

I agree the risk of not having it is greater than having it. My doc gave me a prescription of percoset for after the procedure. Having never gone under, I know its short, it gives me the most anxiety. 

Its reassuring to hear that it was mostly mild cramping after. I havent had my first PP period that I know of (can't tell between current bleeding), but you are right, its probably going to be bad regardless. 

ETA I have no idea how often my OB performs this procedure but my practice doesn't let us switch doctors. I will ask her but not sure of my options even if she hasnt done it much. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I've never had a d & c but have been put under a few times. It's no biggie. You wake up before you know it and feel like you just had a great nap :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @dragonfly87-2 I agree with @zamora_spin. I’ve had 3 each one has been the same experience for me.  I had never been under before my first one and that scared me the most too.   They gave me an IV and told me to relax the next thing I knew I was awake and it was over.  30 minutes tops.  I never used any pain meds at all cramps were so mild  and didn’t last long.  The bleeding has been different with each one.  I bled for a month after first one. 2nd one like a week and a half and this last one less than a week.  Periods are wonky for a while afterwards.  Hopefully things go smoothly for you
  • @Mack2342 thank you for your response and I am so sorry you have had to through this procedure so many times.
  • dragonfly87-2 I remember you from late 2016. Congrats on the rainbow baby and sorry you need a D&C. But it’s really not a big deal, procedure-wise. Mine was easy-peasy. I had one for my first MC. I was put under and didn’t have much pain at all right away. I was SUPER exhausted for several days after the surgery. I think I tried to do too much, too fast, because I felt ok… so I ended up with a lot of pain several days afterward. (I twisted/turned digging up sweet potatoes like 4 days post-op. *sigh* I’m an idiot). I can’t speak for future fertility since… I’m still here and obviously have had no luck. I guess be grateful you’re going in post-partum and that you have your LO at home, and that you’re not going in for a MC! 

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1

• *lurking* TW @dragonfly87-2 I had a D&C after my MMC in March 2016 and the procedure was not a big deal at all, I was put under and went home the same day, back to work 3 days later. Bleeding lasted about a month, didn't really have much pain. As far as fertility goes *TW* I did conceive my rainbow baby 3 months later in June of 2016 so in my experience it did not impact me from that stand point. Are they going to track your hcg down to zero? I think that's important to make sure it's going down and they removed everything. 
  • @dragonfly87-2 I had a D&C after my fjest loss, and it looks like I’m the minority here, but they didn’t even put me under for it - I was awake the whole time. They told me to take some extra Ibuprofen beforehand, and afterwards, but otherwise they just did local anesthetic rather than putting me out for it. Honestly, the procedure itself was no big deal. It felt like period cramping, but wasn’t too painful otherwise. I bled for a few days afterwards, but was back on my feet the next day out and about. 
  • dragonfly87-2dragonfly87-2 member
    edited January 2018
    @pumpkinpancake: wow, I can't believe they didn't put you under and just had you take ibuprofen!
    @Spartanrd4 @dpjennifer thank you for sharing your experiences and sorry for your losses/having to go through that. It is reassuring that many felt it was a pretty easy procedure and not a lot of issues on the back end. Definitely grateful to have my LO at home and crossing my fingers it goes smoothly and this will be the last of my postpartum issues.
  • @dragonfly87-2 honestly, after having it done, I can’t imagine actually getting put under for it, since it was really not a huge procedure. To me, the risks of anesthesia and getting put under are worse than the slight discomfort of being awake for it. Though I really didn’t feel much as they were doing it. 
  • @pumpkinpancake: That's a good point. My doctor didn't even mention that as an option, so I might ask. I would rather not be put under if possible.
  • I was awake for a c section and that was really no big deal either
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • For a lot of D&C/D&E procedures, if you’re ‘under’ it’s not really full anesthesia, but some type of sedation combined with pain control that is much less risky than ‘real’ anesthesia. I’m grateful I was out for mine and I don’t really have any memory of what happened, honestly. 
  • @dragonfly87-2 I had a D&C after my MMC in September 2017. I was put under but I’ve had surgeries before so it wasn’t new for me. I think the recovery is different for everyone. My cousin went through it a month earlier with little pain and barely any bleeding. I however experienced terrible cramps the pain meds wouldn’t touch and I bled for a week afterwards sometimes with huge clots. Because my body wasn’t recognizing the MC I chose the D&C. Even though I had really bad cramps my period came back normal a month later. Hope this helps. Good luck with everything.
  • coco2787coco2787 member
    edited January 2018
    Like @pumpkinpancake I was also awake for my D&C.  I was given a mild sedative and fentanyl for the pain via IV.   The doctor talked to me the whole time and asked me about my pain level, if I was feeling too much they would just give me another small dose of pain meds.     I wasn’t given any drugs to go home with, ibuprofen was fine for the cramping and I honestly had very little pain following the procedure.  I took an exam for class the next day.   I can’t speak to future fertility since this is our first month trying after my loss.  
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • I had a D&C in September and was also awake like @pumpkinpancake and @coco2787.  I was like pumpkin and took three ibuprofen before and also two ativan for anxiety about the procedure.  The lidocaine injections to numb the cervix were not great but I didn't feel it after the first one.  I honestly think the worst part of it was the emotional component; it was very quick and I was loopy enough on my anti-anxiety meds that I don't even really remember the pain.  I pray I won't ever need another one, but if I did I would elect to avoid anesthesia and do it the same way as long as I had the Ativan.  
  • I had a D&C  yesterday. 9weeks. It wasn't bad at all. I was surprised. It was quick. I was under general anesthesia. I was crampy yesterday with some bleeding and very minimal cramping and no bleeding today. Emotionally this was crappy especially since today is my Birthday but physically it was ok. 
  • kikimi83kikimi83 member
    edited January 2018
    Hope all went well and you have a speedy recovery!
  • Hi,

Unfortunarely I had a miscarriage at 8 weeks. They gave me 3 options: natural, induced with medication and D&C. I wanted it to be as less invasive as possible but also to make sure the tissue got released, so I chose the #2 (induced with meds).
    Long story short, they had to do it twice because the first time was not enough to release the sac. Since all the process was very painful, I chose to have the D&C the same day when they told me the second induction was not enough to release all the tissue.
    After the D&C I thought that was the best decision I made because I went to sleep, did not feel anything and after waking up had minimal bleeding. After 2 months I got my period back and hopefully my husband and I will start TTC again.

I hope this is helpful
  • dragonfly87-2 Glad your D&C seemed to go well and you're recovering!  I also had issues with my IV when I did mine (The nurse apparently poked it THROUGH the vein, so then they had to jab my other hand. Meanwhile, I'm NOT good with needles. My DH described the second jab as me looking like I was in the Exorcist movie. LOL)

MC #1: D&C Oct 23, 2015 (7.5 weeks)
    MC #2: July 1, 2016 (5.5 weeks)
    MC #3: October 17, 2016 (CP)
    RE #1: RPL testing November 2016-January 2017
    MC #4: Feb. 28, 2017 (CP)
    RE #2: Additional RPL testing March-November 2017
    MC #5: January 2019 (6.5 weeks)

RE #3: More testing 2023. 
    Egg Retrieval Sept/Oct 2023, 2 good embryos after PGT-A testing.
    Surgery for endometriosis January 2024
    Lupron Depo March 2024.  Benched 3 months.  Hopefully FET after that.

#BitterHagPartyOf1