January 2018 Moms
Options

Postpartum mommies 12/27

Since there have been so many early births in our BMB let's start a place where we can discuss it all....

We can eventually start different threads if this one gets too crazy long
So how are things with your LO on the outside?
Are you struggling with anything? Recovery? Breastfeeding? Other siblings?
GTKY: what has been your favorite moment so far with your new family?

Re: Postpartum mommies 12/27

• Options
    Glad your DH is being more sensitive to your needs @bainidhedub. Our oldest is sick right now too. I feel so bad bc she's miserable and just wants to be held. I'm glad my mom is here right now bc she's pretty much taken over her care for right now.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Stupid bump cut off the rest of my post...
    Things have been going well. I had to go back to the OB last week because I thought I pulled out a stitch. I didn't but she advised me that I need to chill out, rest more and take care of myself. It's been hard to balance with 2 kids now, like where do I find the time?!?!
    My favorite moments so far:
    When DD1 came to the hospital for when first time. She saw the baby and wanted her really bad until she moved. Then she was kind of like WTH, I think she thought she was a dolly.
    Second fav, I went to get DD1 when we got home. I asked her for a kiss and she gave me a kiss then asked for more (she's 18 months) she gave me 2 more kisses
  • Options
    Hey, ladies... holding a baby on the boob so let’s see what we get here... 

-Things with LO on the outsudecare good/bad/confusing. I definitely DO NOT have this guy figured out yet... what he likes/wants/what his major complaints are. He cries in a different and more intense way than DD did, so I worry. BUT doctor was happy with him and he eats from the boob regularly. I have an hour appointment with a lacy Atkin consultant Tuesday and can’t wait. His latch is hurting me a lot now and I sense I’m doing things poorly/missing tricks. 
    -DD was a handful the first night home but had been doing amazingly well since then. She acts out a little for attention but laughs about it too. I’m immensely proud of her for the innate love she has for him and her apparent desire to be helpful (even when she isn’t ACTUALLY too helpful lol). 
    -Recovery has its challenges. First night home I had a perceptions start to the baby blues and have had two emotional breakdowns, BUT (fingers crossed) I think I’ve maintained perspective and it isn’t getting WORSE. That’s something. Stitches hurt but not like last time (2nd v 4th degree tear), so I’ll take it. 

Omg I rambled. I do like the idea of this thread for ADULT interaction and support. 
    *TW*

DD1 EDD 9/29/2015, Born 9/24/2015

DS1 EDD 1/3/2018, Born 12/26/2017

BFP #3 3/21/2019, EDD 11/29/2019, MMC/D&C 5/7/2019

BFP #4 6/28/2019, EDD 3/12/2020 

• Options
    STM’s when did your milk come in? I’m only one day PP. I think it took 3 days with DS but can’t remember for sure. 
  • Options
    @sbishop426 Mine came in the first day I was home which was day 3. It wasn't as noticeable this time -- I only knew because DD started dribbling milk after a feed.

I use Hypnobabies! http://www.hypnobabies-store.com/link.cgi?affiliateID=472

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies!

Pregnancy Ticker

EDD: 1/6/2018
    Eva Jane: 7/23/2014

• Options
    Mine came in the 2nd night, less than 48 later. I've been horribly engorged all day. Any tips on dealing with engorgement? My first attempt at pumping didn't go very well.
    Me-37, DH-38
    Married in 2006, TTC #1 since Jan 2012

Baby Boy born June 1, 2015

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    mindaa said:
    Mine came in the 2nd night, less than 48 later. I've been horribly engorged all day. Any tips on dealing with engorgement? My first attempt at pumping didn't go very well.
    Supposedly hand expression is supposed to work well.  I used it on occasion, also massage out the hard spots before and during pumping.  Did you get a hands free pumping bra at all?  Really helps maintain positioning so you can pump and massage.
  • Options
    Second what @egirl1025 said. I apply heat and then massage the hard spots until you can see the milk coming out faster
  • Options
    My milk came in today and also dealing with engorgement. I’m getting him to nurse more often to help drain them a bit and that is helping some. 
  • Options
    egirl1025egirl1025 member
    edited January 2018
    Did anyone else retain a bunch of fluid post partem?  My feet are way crazy!  I mean I was bloated last time, but I had it before I gave birth too, but not this time...

Also in the car on the way home and I think my milk is starting to come in... Boobs feel hot and tingly.
  • Options
    My milk came in today and also dealing with engorgement. I’m getting him to nurse more often to help drain them a bit and that is helping some. 
    Ugh, my kid slept the entire first day home... Which was great except on the boobs. They are  doing much better the 2nd day.
    Me-37, DH-38

He settles her in her home as a happy mother of children, praise the Lord! (Psalms 113:9)
    And the peace of God, which surpasses all understand, will guard your heart and mind in Jesus Christ (Philippians 4:7)

• Options
    Thought I would share this here. We've been struggling with BF for 3 weeks. ( I EPd with DD1) Lo will latch but then not do much else, my BFF sent me this and it just may have have us before I have up 
    www.naturalbreastfeeding.com
  • Options
    I know there are a couple STM mom's here from May/June/July 2016 BMBs and I am wondering how you all feel about having two little ones now.  I have been feeling some guilt overall...

Also been having some breastfeeding issues as well... Going to see a consultant Thursday.
  • Options
    June 16 baby..... We are adjusting but it's been hard. DD1 has been super sensitive and crying more. Plus I feel like I'm locked up nursing or pumping all the time. On the flip side she's been super sweet giving DD2 her blankets and diapers 
    Hows it going for you @egirl1025
  • Options
    Also June ‘16 baby but never participated in the board, sadly. It’s been an adjustment for sure. The toddler has had more tantrums and needy. Luckily the newborn is a quick nurser (15-20min) so I’m still able to give him a lot of attention 
  • Options
    Well we are doing ok.  I am probably having the hardest time.  DH is a bit more attached to his Papa right now, but it is working since I have to spend more time with nursing and all.  I feel like I am cheating him a bit.  Nursing has been interesting...I have more milk than I know what to do with and DS2 seems to continually overeat causing spit ups and hiccups.  I will be seeing a lactation consultant this Thursday.  I hope it helps otherwise I am just going to switch to exclusively pumping.  At some point I need to go with what gives me the most piece of mind.

BTW I thought I had recognized both your bump names @burnsmommy27 and @sbishop426.  I think @ecolton01 may be from June 16 too?  A small group of us June 2016 are still active on a private bump board if you are interested.  
  • Options
    @egirl1025 a nurse at the hospital told me STMs tend to produce more milk especially if you have babies close in age. Not sure if there’s any evidence to back that up but thought it was interesting 
  • Options
    I would believe that @sbishop426 it's been so much easier to establish my supply this time.

I think it's pretty natural to feel that way @egirl1025. It's almost like you are giving up yoyr first baby in a sense, bc they aren't the baby anymore.
  • Options
    What’s everyone’s bleeding like ? I’m 7 Days pp and still having bright red bleeding, more like a moderate flow period with small clots ( like the size of a penny) I hemmoraged in the hospital with DD1 and it’s nonwhere near that level plus no big clots either.  Just curious to hear if my bleeding is still normal or if I should think about calling the doctor to check in.    
    DD1: 2/28/12
    DD2: 9/12/13
    Baby #3: Due January 2018

• Options
    I'm 8 days pp and bleeding is very light. Like I could probably get away with just a liner during the day.

Me-37, DH-38

• Options
    @PhillymommaX2 I'll be 7 days post tomorrow and still have clots, small dime-size ones, but the flow has lightened up considerably.  

How's everyone on the pain?  My lower abdominals feel like I have done a thousand sit ups.  My stitches haven't bothered me really at all and I have stopped using the Peri bottle.
  • Options
    ^^ sorry your abs are still so sore! 
     I wake up feeling good, but the stitches get uncomfortable by the end of the day.

Me-37, DH-38

• Options
    @egirl1025 I had one morning where I felt like I did 1000 sit ups. Very sore.  The feeling went away though. 

• Options
    Has anyone thought about or are already using a post partem belly shaper/girdle?  I used the belly fit occasionally last time, but can't remember when I started.
  • Options
    Yes @egirl1025 I started wearing my belly band 1 week PP. The first time I had to have DH help me get it closed. Now I can do it by myself. I usually wear it for 4 to 5 hours a day. I also have a full body maidenform shaper I wear out of the house to hold it all in
  • Options
    So should we all purchase a belly band of some sort or just if we feel more jelly than wanted or something?  Or only if we have a c-section (I remember some ladies mentioning the hospital gave them one from a c-section) or is it something to ask for at the hospital no matter what type of birth experience you have?  I remember lots of mentioning of PP bleeding and what to do with that recovery but not many mentionings of belly bands or things to help get everything back in place...if that makes sense.
  • Options
    @conineml I bought mine to fight the jelly.  I think I am about ready to give it a try again.  I wasn't super diligent last time, but it did seem to help. 
  • Options
    Anyone having some post partum blues and/or anxiety? I’ve been crying almost everyday since baby was born...rarely for a good reason. I have a history of anxiety and it seems to have resurfaced this first week with baby. Specifically Anxious about nights because they are really hard right now. I spend all day dreading the night. Also just feel stuck in the house and having a hard time coping with these big changes! Would love to know it’s normal and others feel this way! And if you are experiencing it or have in the past, how did or do you deal? 
  • Options
    ^^ yes, I went through that after DS1, it's rough. Can't really say I dealt with it very well, but it did get better. The daily crying just kinda went away after a couple weeks, on its own, but the anxiety didn't really ease for a few months. (Once out of the newborn stage, where they feel so fragile).

It did help to get out for a walk each day. Dh was also around a lot to listen and to take.the baby if I needed a break.(like those nights when I just couldn't stand another minute of crying). Also went to a couple nursing moms group meetings to get out and talk to people. Definitely don't hesitate to reach out to someone for support. . 
    Me-37, DH-38

• Options
    I’m here!!!! 

J18 December Siggy Challenge: Christmas Movies
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mindaa thanks, those are good ideas. I’ll try a walk today :-) 
  • Options
    @cbrennan04 I had a lot of anxiety after I had my first. My OB suggested Zoloft but I decided to wait it out and felt better after a few months but if you need meds no shame! Being a new mom is so hard and can feel very isolating. Self care is super important so make sure you’re taking care of yourself and getting some me time even if it’s only for 10-15 minutes. I second going on walks or running an errand or two to get out of the house. And definitely talk to your significant other/support system about how you’re feeling. Hugs!!
  • Options
    I'm having super anxiety too. Mostly mine is an obsession with avoiding the outside world which is infested with deadly flu. I can't enjoy myself if I leave the house because I'm completely preoccupied with not breathing in the vicinity of other humans. I'm also feeling completely owned by my own boobs and scheduling either feeding or pumping every 2 hours or else! It's all a bit maddening.
  • Options
    I had anxiety after my first especially at night not knowing when you are going to sleep. I know it’s easier said then done but try to sleep when baby sleeps. And as a third time Mom, trust me it does get easier. I do remember as a ftm thinking I will never sleep again and that I was going to be in this anxiety induced hell forever but that’s not the case. There is a light at the end of the tunnel even if you don’t see it right now. 

• Options
    I’m here!!!! 
    Whoo hoo! 
    Me-37, DH-38

• Options
    Thanks all, I appreciate it. 
  • Options
    sbishop426sbishop426 member
    edited January 2018
    I know I speak for everyone when I say this but damn, I’m tired. We had a 2 week appt yesterday and the pediatrician asked if he’s doing 4 hour stretches at night and I just gave her a deer in the headlights look.. mine is up every 2-2.5hrs, sometimes 3 but that’s not as usual. And he has a hard time settling back to sleep after he’s fed/burped/changed. I know this is all normal but I hope by her mentioning 4hrs between feedings means he’ll get to that point soon. He did gain a whole lb since last week so maybe he hit a growth spurt. Until then... Zzzzzz 
  • Options
    @sbishop426 no way sleeping 4 hours straight yet haha. We are in the same boat, 2.5-3 and then baby is starving. Takes a while to get her completely settled/zonked out enough after feeding to put her down in a bassinet/rock and play. I feel your pain.....but everyone says it’s temporary! It has helped to take “shifts” with DH. I started pumping a little so he does one bottle feed at night and that improved my sleep dramatically! Getting a solid 4 hours straight of sleep is like heaven! The rest of the time I breast feed and baby hasn’t had problems going back and forth. 
  • Options
    @cbrennan04 thanks- you are right, it is temporary and I know it’ll get better. My first was a dream baby and we had to wake him up for feedings so this is new territory haha. I’ve started pumping but we haven’t given him a bottle yet. I might try having my husband give him one a night this week so I can catch up on sleep. I think he may have his days/nights mixed up still because he seems to sleep more soundly during the day so I’m going to try turning more lights on and having more background noise to see if that helps