April 2018 Moms
Options

Camera Recommendations?

I think I want a nice camera for keeping up with the babies (instead of my phone). Anyone have a camera they love or hate? Thank you for the advice!
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Camera Recommendations?

• Options
    I have a Nikon d3100 for 5 years now. If I were to get an upgrade I’d get the d3300 and a remote shutter. 
  • Options
    I know this isn’t what you’re asking, but portrait mode of my new iPhone is pretty darn good. We have a Nikon (don’t even know which model because we use it so infrequently) that we bring out for birthday parties etc, but 99% of day to day life stuff just ends up being on my phone because it’s so much easier. (And I can’t just leave the nice camera lying around where it’s accessible because toddlers/young kids :D ). So i guess i’m just saying that it might be worth investing in a phone with a really good camera as well, because that seems to be how I capture a great deal of our daily life.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Agree with @lindsye. I love my Nikon D3100, but I use my phone so much more. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @tooraloorah & @lindsye - very true that the phone is usually handy, my ‘beef’ is that I am always getting  warnings that I’m out of storage even though I send to cloud and remove from iPhone  :/ (first world problems)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @g_amoss I just bought a new iPhone with a lot more storage, because yeah - I definitely use it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    kmallskmalls member
    edited January 2018
    @g_amoss we bought a Nikon D3300 and it’s great (I’ve taken some GORGEOUS pictures with it) but yeah, it hasn’t come out of its box since we took pictures of our daughter at the hospital...15 months ago :#
  • Options
    I will add we don’t use the Nikon for day to day pics but I do milestone photo shoots and Christmas pictures with it. As well as big family portraits as well. (My Dad likes a picture with all of his kids and their families with his gf and her kids every year)
  • Options
    Yep I bought a nice new Nikon after having my ds2. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've used it. Like @lindsye im always using my iPhone. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I’m team Canon ;) I do use my phone for day to day but I love my DSLR camera and try to use it at least once every 2 weeks. We have a lot of great pictures hanging around our house that was taken with the DSLR. I feel I’m less tempted to print iPhone photos!
  • Options
    We bought a canon rebel t5 when our daughter was born. We got a refurbished one from canon and haven’t had any problems. Some photographer friends of ours told us that the actual camera body is less important than the lenses you use with it. So we splurged on some nice lenses. Like everyone else, we’ve probably gotten it out of the box less than 10 times since we bought it. The pictures we have taken are great though! 
  • Options
    We have a cannon and I use is about 4 times a year. I bust it out at birthday celebrations and activities. We have a long range lens and it works great when at dance recitals and other outdoor activities. My iPhone is my daily device, but it is nice having the Cannon on hand. 
  • Options
    One big thing I'd recommend (and I still haven’t taken my own advice) is a WiFi enabled SD card. I hardly use my Canon rebel t5 because it’s such a hassle to plug it in and transfer photos (can you believe that’s what we all did a mere decade ago? Lol). I think they run about $80 and the photos you take on the DSLR transfer directly to a cloud of your choice, even your phone. 
  • Options
    I started with the canon rebel t3i and have an additional canon mark 5d iii which I love.  I should pull it out more than I do, hopefully after the baby comes!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I have a canon rebel t3i with a prime lens that I loooooove. With the right lens you can take really high quality pictures. I did some from photography work during the 2016 local election cycle with it, and I was able to use a good majority of the pictures on websites and stuff like that. That was after a few years of learning how to use the camera and practicing with it, but even when I first got the camera and had no idea what I was doing, I was able to take some really beautiful pictures of my daughter when she was a baby. I definitely don't regret shelling out for my dslr.
  • Options
    I wanted a nicer camera when DS was born and debated spending the $$$ on a DSLR, I wasn't sure how often I'd actually use it. DH convinced me to get a less expensive, but high quality point and shoot, and I got the Sony rx100. The compromise was that if I felt the sony didn't do enough for me, I would upgrade to a DSLR. Long story short, I still use my phone way more frequently than my point and shoot (the camera itself is AWESOME!!) and I'm glad I didn't get a DSLR. The sony camera takes excellent pictures and has some manual functionality that I don't take full advantage of, and while I do pull it out from time to time, I find the moments I'm photographing are more on the fly when I don't think to take my actual camera with me.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker