Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

Chart stalk/Questions Week of 1/8

This is a thread where anyone can feel free to request a chart stalk, second-guess FF's interpretation, or post TTC-related questions, regardless of where in your cycle you are. Sometimes FF is wrong. That's where we come in. Get your second opinion here!

Re: Chart stalk/Questions Week of 1/8

• Options
    crookshanks10crookshanks10 member
    edited January 2018
    @darkstar42 Thank you for creating this! I'm loving your JLaw gif (: Now for a question... which I think you'll be able to help me with, you have lots of good advice! I'm using OPKs for the first time. On 1/6 PM I got my first(?) positive, on 1/7 AM I got an even darker positive, and I tested again 1/8 11AM and got a still dark positive. My DH and I HIO 1/6 and 1/7. I know everyday is not recommended, so since we have already HIO 2 days in a row, should we continue? Should I continue taking OPKs? Please forgive my lack of knowledge. You all are my only real source of trusted info. at this point.    
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @jrm_14 Thank you for such a detailed answer! I'm currently using First Response tests. My first positive looked to be just as dark as the control line and my second positive was much darker than the control line, so maybe that was actually my first true positive. I will definitely start temping. Is temperature supposed to be taken at the same time each morning or does that not matter?
  • Options
    @darkstar42 Thank you!! I need to get on the temperature grind!
  • Options
    @meladams10 Yep, it's best to temp at a consistent time. For me, as long as I temp within the same hour range every morning I can still easily see the temp shift at O. Once you start temping you'll get a sense of how sensitive you are to changes in temping time.
  • Options
    @darkstar42 Ah okay, that's good to know!
  • Options
    @zamora_spin Thank you! My weekday wake-up time is the same but the weekend's I would have to set an alarm to wake up to temp, as I sleep an extra hour or two. I'm glad to know that variation can occur. I was on BC for about 9 years so I'm unsure of how long it will take my body to regulate. Our bodies are so weird!! I think next cycle I will buy some OPKs that you suggested offline! I definitely have had better luck with the pink dye tests than the blue.
  • Options
    elothairelothair member
    edited January 2018
    Alright my fellow IF warriors - I need some guidance.

I have made an appointment with my GP for next week as we are now on cycle 11(plus 4 months ntnp) with no results and because I’m approaching AMA I want to get a jump on things if my doctor will allow it and give me an early RE referral (I know technically I have one more cycle before being considered IF)

What do I need to be asking for as far as initial tests? Is an RE referral a first step or is that something to save after my GP runs tests? Anyone have specific experience in the Canadian system since it seems we do thing a bit different up here often?

I never really thought I’d actually get to this point so while I’ve followed advice/questions threads I’ve apparently repressed a lot of information that I should have hung onto. 

DH is also going to be 40 this year and I assume a SA wouldn’t be a bad step to take - any ideas if he has to go our GP for this, or would it go through the RE? 

I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed and am hoping for some clarity and guidance and I know some of you are unfortunately really well versed in all this. 

Edited for clarity
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    This has been super informative!

I started w/ OPK and my second line only lasted, even faintly for about a 24h window. Is that not the norm? I'd just been aiming for at least EOD leading up to second line, and day we saw the second line.  Would love any advice if I've got this all wrong.

It'll also be interesting to see how temping aligns this month!
  • Options
    @elothair I'm not familiar with the Canadian system (paging @nitnat007!), but I'd say to find out if the RE will accept testing done by your ob/gyn or if they need to do all tests themselves. You don't want to have to repeat tests! MH asked his GP for a referral for an SA, and that worked out fine, but again, make sure the RE doesn't want to do this themselves. The first round of tests is usually cd 3 bloodwork (estradiol, FSH, and LH, if I'm remembering correctly) and then bloodwork at 8 dpo (prolactin, progesterone, and AMH). You'll likely need an HSG as well, to see if your tubes are clear and make sure there are no uterine abnormalities.

Sorry you find yourself dealing with this, but you're in the best of company here. *hugs*
  • Options
    @elothair  @darkstar42 covered the basis well. Depending on the extent of NTNP, some doctors will count a few of those towards the 12. ((Hugs)). Sorry that you find yourself asking these questions. No one ever wants to think “let’s remeber all these things for later for when I need an RE referral.”  
  • Options
    @chopchop25 Not sure I'm understanding your question completely, but with OPKs, a positive is when both lines are the same darkness (or the test line is darker than the control). Any light pink line doesn't count as a positive. So if you're getting faint lines, you either haven't ovulated yet or you're past ovulation (I can't remember where you're at in your cycle right now). I apologize if I misunderstood your question and this isn't what you were asking! 
    *TW*
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD1: 8/2014  <3
    TTC #2: 6/2017
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
    BFP 10/16/2017 | CP 10/21
    BFP 12/18/2017 | CP 12/28
    BFP 2/15/2018 | EDD: November 2nd | It's a girl!
    DD2: 10/2018  <3
  • Options
    @offtoneverland I think my brain is just Friday afternoon mush, sorry about that but really appreciate you trying to interpret! Last month I did have one day w two solid lines, but it was just that day. In reading above I was starting to worry it lasted longer than that for most people! Didn’t ever have a day with the second line darker than the first. 
    All the instructions basically say to hurry up when you see that second line, but could it mean that you’ve missed the window?
  • Options
    @chopchop25 Oh, gotcha! Some people have a really short LH surge, meaning they might only see one positive, even if they're testing multiple times a day. Do you only test once a day? Once the line starts getting darker, or you start seeing more fertile signs, you can test twice a day if you want to try to figure out how long your surge is. I don't think it's really necessary to do that though if you don't want to. I don't really know if there's a true "norm;" it seems to vary widely. My first cycle using OPKs, I only got one positive even though I tested 2-3 times per day, so I thought I might have a short surge. But then the cycles after that, I've gotten positives for 2-3 days in a row. Bodies are weird. :) As long as you're seeing a positive though, that's a great sign and gives you an indicator so you can get good timing. 
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • Options
    Thanks @offtoneverland! You’re the best!
  • Options
    @chopchop25, yes it's normal to only get a positive OPK for 24 hours.  
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Options
    @darkstar42 Definitely do not want to repeat tests so that's super good to know. And thank you for the test info - I want to go in prepared so I can request specifics if need be because I've read stories from so many ladies with useless doctors. I like to think mine's pretty good (and has been up to this point) but since this is new territory I like to have ammo. I definitely know I'm in good company here - so much support and knowledge which I am so super grateful for!

@jrm_14 That's exactly it - I deluded myself into assuming I wouldn't need this knowledge!

@Sailing_Mama Thank you for that, that was super helpful! I am in BC and I'm pretty sure IVF is off the table anyways for DH - I am almost certain he won't be willing to do that level of intervention. Do you know if he can just go to a walk-in clinic and request a SA? He doesn't have a family doctor so relies on walk-ins but I think I could probably get my GP to take him on (which I would prefer but he is resistant to because he doesn't love doctors) if needed. I may take you up on your inbox offer as I come across issues, which I'm sure I will! Thank you so much!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @elothair sorry you’ve come to this point but you will find a wealth of support and information here no matter what you find (including if unexplained)

As another source you might want to have a listen to the podcast below on preparing for a first RE appointment - even if you don’t go yet it should have some hints. 

https://beatinfertility.co/first-fertility-clinic-visit/

Also there is a Canadian podcast called Fertility Friday that I listen to - but she’s very very detailed on each topic including more natural fertility methods if that’s what your DH is more comfortable with
    Me 43 DH 45
    Married 12/2016
    TTC #1 since 04/2015
    AMA, DOR (AMH 0.65, AFC 2-4) and autoimmune issues (RA, APS), low TSH, adenomyosis
    7 retrievals, 3 transfers
    Jun19 FET BFP, due date 7th March 2020, DD born Feb20
    Sep17 IVF1 - 1ER, 1F, 1ET, BFN
    Nov17 IVF2 - 1ER, 0F
    Jan18 IVF3 - 3ER, 1F, 1ET, BFN
    Feb18 - second opinion and additional testing
    Apr18 IVF4 - cancelled (E2 too high)
    May/Jun18 IVF4 - 4ER, 0M, 1F, 1 frozen day 3 (not best quality)
    Jun/Jul18 IVF5 - 5 ER, 3M, 2F, 2 frozen day 3 (not best quality)
    Jul/Aug18 IVF6 - 4ER, 3M, 2F, 2 frozen day 3 (good quality)
    Aug/Sep18 IVF7 - cancelled (cyst)
    Sep/Oct18 IVF7 - 3ER, 3M, 2F, 2 frozen Day 3 (excellent quality)
    Oct18 IVF8 - Cancelled (cyst and too low TSH)
    Oct18-Jan19 bringing TSH under control
    Feb19 ERA and hysteroscopy
    Mar19 Investigation for fibroid and adenomyosis
    Apr19 adenomyosis confirmed, polyps removed
    Jun19 FET after 2 months Lupron, autoimmune protocol, transferred two day 3 frozen embryos
    Sep17 - Pergoveris 10-17 Sep, Orgalutran 15-18 Sep, Ovitrelle 18 Sep, ER 20 Sep for 2 follies, 1 mature egg, fertilized, ET 1x 2d 4-cell embryo 22/09, 05/10 BFN
    Nov17 IVF2 - Pergoveris 2-14 Nov, Orgalutran 5-14 Nov, Ovitrelle 15 Nov, ER 17 Nov for 3 follies, 1 mature egg, did not fertilize
    Jan18 IVF3 - Pergoveris 30 Dec - 8 Jan, Orgalutran 5-8 Jan, Ovitrelle 9 Jan, ER 11 Jan 3 eggs, 2 mature, 1 fertilized, ET 1x 4d 12-cell embryo 15/01, 24/01 BFN
    May/Jun18 IVF4 - Rekovelle 25-29 May, Menogon 30May - 2Jun, Zomacton 25 27 29 31 May and 2Jun, Cetrotide 30May - 3Jun, Gonasi 3Jun, ER 5Jun 4 eggs, none mature, two matured overnight, 1 fertilized with ICSI, Frozen day 3 but not good quality
    Jun/Jul18 IVF5 - Rekovelle 21-24 June, Menogon 25Jun-3Jul, Puregon 4-5Jul, Zomacton 21 23 25 27 29 Jun, Cetrotide 25Jun-5Jul, Gonasi 6Jul, ER 8Jul 5 eggs, 3 mature, 2 fertilized with ICSI, 2 frozen day 3 but not good quality
    Jul/Aug18 IVF6 - Rekovelle 26-29 Jul, Menogon 30Jul-7Aug, Buserelin 26Jul-7Aug, Zomacton 26 28 30 Jul 1 3 Aug, Gonasi 7Aug, ER 9Aug 4 eggs, 3 mature, 2 fertilized (normal IVF), 2 frozen day 3 good quality
    Sep/Oct18 IVF7 - Menogon 19-30Sep, Buserelin 19-30Sep, Zomacton 19 21 23 25 27 Sep, Ovitrelle 1 Oct, ER 3 eggs, 3 mature, 2 fertilized with ICSI, 2 frozen day 3 excellent quality 

Fav Quote: The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return

• Options
    @emmasemm Thank you for that link to the podcast! I'm preparing for my first RE appointment in 2 weeks so I will definitely be giving that a listen to get as much info as possible before my appointment. 
    @elothair I'm sorry you find yourself at this point having to figure out what step comes next. I'm wishing you luck at your appointments and hope you won't find yourself needing to see an RE.
    *TW*
    BFP 8/3/2017 | CP 8/4
  • Options
    emmasemmemmasemm member
    edited January 2018
    @offtoneverland I can also recommend creatingafamily.org for lots of resources and information 
    They also have hundreds of podcasts. I drive minimum two hours each day, so I’ve got through a *lot* of IF podcasts in the last few years!
    ETA sorry you’re also needing to see an RE, but hopefully they can give you some quick answers and help you on the road to success very soon!

***tw both Beat Infertility and creatingafamily have good info on RPL Testing in several episodes endtw***
    Me 43 DH 45
    Married 12/2016
    TTC #1 since 04/2015
    AMA, DOR (AMH 0.65, AFC 2-4) and autoimmune issues (RA, APS), low TSH, adenomyosis
    7 retrievals, 3 transfers
    Jun19 FET BFP, due date 7th March 2020, DD born Feb20
    Sep17 IVF1 - 1ER, 1F, 1ET, BFN
    Nov17 IVF2 - 1ER, 0F
    Jan18 IVF3 - 3ER, 1F, 1ET, BFN
    Feb18 - second opinion and additional testing
    Apr18 IVF4 - cancelled (E2 too high)
    May/Jun18 IVF4 - 4ER, 0M, 1F, 1 frozen day 3 (not best quality)
    Jun/Jul18 IVF5 - 5 ER, 3M, 2F, 2 frozen day 3 (not best quality)
    Jul/Aug18 IVF6 - 4ER, 3M, 2F, 2 frozen day 3 (good quality)
    Aug/Sep18 IVF7 - cancelled (cyst)
    Sep/Oct18 IVF7 - 3ER, 3M, 2F, 2 frozen Day 3 (excellent quality)
    Oct18 IVF8 - Cancelled (cyst and too low TSH)
    Oct18-Jan19 bringing TSH under control
    Feb19 ERA and hysteroscopy
    Mar19 Investigation for fibroid and adenomyosis
    Apr19 adenomyosis confirmed, polyps removed
    Jun19 FET after 2 months Lupron, autoimmune protocol, transferred two day 3 frozen embryos
    Sep17 - Pergoveris 10-17 Sep, Orgalutran 15-18 Sep, Ovitrelle 18 Sep, ER 20 Sep for 2 follies, 1 mature egg, fertilized, ET 1x 2d 4-cell embryo 22/09, 05/10 BFN
    Nov17 IVF2 - Pergoveris 2-14 Nov, Orgalutran 5-14 Nov, Ovitrelle 15 Nov, ER 17 Nov for 3 follies, 1 mature egg, did not fertilize
    Jan18 IVF3 - Pergoveris 30 Dec - 8 Jan, Orgalutran 5-8 Jan, Ovitrelle 9 Jan, ER 11 Jan 3 eggs, 2 mature, 1 fertilized, ET 1x 4d 12-cell embryo 15/01, 24/01 BFN
    May/Jun18 IVF4 - Rekovelle 25-29 May, Menogon 30May - 2Jun, Zomacton 25 27 29 31 May and 2Jun, Cetrotide 30May - 3Jun, Gonasi 3Jun, ER 5Jun 4 eggs, none mature, two matured overnight, 1 fertilized with ICSI, Frozen day 3 but not good quality
    Jun/Jul18 IVF5 - Rekovelle 21-24 June, Menogon 25Jun-3Jul, Puregon 4-5Jul, Zomacton 21 23 25 27 29 Jun, Cetrotide 25Jun-5Jul, Gonasi 6Jul, ER 8Jul 5 eggs, 3 mature, 2 fertilized with ICSI, 2 frozen day 3 but not good quality
    Jul/Aug18 IVF6 - Rekovelle 26-29 Jul, Menogon 30Jul-7Aug, Buserelin 26Jul-7Aug, Zomacton 26 28 30 Jul 1 3 Aug, Gonasi 7Aug, ER 9Aug 4 eggs, 3 mature, 2 fertilized (normal IVF), 2 frozen day 3 good quality
    Sep/Oct18 IVF7 - Menogon 19-30Sep, Buserelin 19-30Sep, Zomacton 19 21 23 25 27 Sep, Ovitrelle 1 Oct, ER 3 eggs, 3 mature, 2 fertilized with ICSI, 2 frozen day 3 excellent quality 

Fav Quote: The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return

• Options
    @elothair Sorry that I’m late to seeing this. The other ladies have definitely been on point with giving you some advice and completely agree with what they have said. One of the first things I would recommend doing is reaching out to your RE office and seeing what thief processes and wait times are. I have a 6-8 month wait list here as there is only one RE office in the province. So I immediate put us on the list. A referral from our family doctor was not needed for this. And then I requested blood tests from my family doc. Have a HSG scheduled and DH has a SA done. All of this is covered under Provincial Health so not a big deal if we have to run these again. The only thing I couldn’t get done was AMH, this can only be requested by an RE for some reason. This may be different in BC. I haven’t gone through an obgyn at all. 

I am am sorry that you find yourself in this position but please do feel free to reach out if you have any questions at all!! Always here to help out. *hugs*
  • Options
    @elothair What @nitnat007 said reminded me... if you do a referral through another doctor, most of the fertility clinics here do free consults. If you refer yourself, there is generally a fee (maybe $100?). Are you close to Vancouver? I have a few recommendations if you are
  • Options
    @emmasemm Thank you! I will be binge listening to that tomorrow!
    @offtoneverland Thank you - at least I know I have the option of an RE. It sucks to need it but nice to know there are ways to feel like you have some bit of control.
    @nitnat007 That is good to know - I will look into the local REs to see what the waits are!
    @Sailing_Mama Yes - I’m the suburbs of Vancouver! Recommendations welcome!
    Pregnancy Ticker