June 2018 Moms

Weekly Questions | w/o Jan 8

Re: Weekly Questions | w/o Jan 8

• elsie42elsie42 member
    edited January 2018
    @LaceyBee522 I bought this pregnancy journal from Erin Condren but I haven't actually started filling it out yet...oops. I honestly was kinda superstitious/paranoid about using it in the first trimester in case something went wrong. I've been tracking/taking notes in the app on my phone though so I'm gonna start back filling it. 

https://www.erincondren.com/petiteplanner-pregnancy-journal?gclid=Cj0KCQiAs9zSBRC5ARIsAFMtUXFRkn1OPhVWWs6ilF5l46BYcpTRc7cM9uHIp_Cc58fQ5yuuDJQ5tcAaAki9EALw_wcB
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • @LaceyBee522 I bought one on Etsy! It's been great and has helpful prompts. It has space for weekly bump photos and a journal space for each tri. Theres a spot for nursery photos and shower info. I attached our extra US photos in the blank journal pages in the back.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/510040966/hello-mama-brand-pregnancy-journal-baby
  • Loading the player...
  • Austenista  Austenista member
    edited January 2018
    @catlady1215 I kind of feel you there. I haven’t even announced or anything on FB yet. My mother is crazy like other people on here have described and copy pastes everything I post to her page and it makes me feel weird. I know as soon as I post something she’s going to have it posted on her FB like she’s some kind of doting grandmother/mother (she isn’t) and it just feels icky. I think once I know the sex I might post something. 

Side by side bump pictures are interesting though like baby 1 at 17 weeks and baby 2 at 17 weeks. I enjoy seeing how mom’s carry differently. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Austenista I did a side by side yesterday at 16 weeks with this one and DD and holy shit. What. A. Difference. 
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • catlady1215 I totally feel ya with baby 2 and feeling like most everyone I know is kinda thinking “been there done that”.  Baby 1 will always be exciting to announce, but baby 2 (when nearly everyone you know is also on baby 2) feels very ordinary. 

@sunshineandwhiskey Lets see it!  That would be a fun STM check in.

• @buffalove1211 agreed! That should be added in the STM check ins sometimes. It'd be fun to see!
    me:35 DH:34
    DS: born oct 2012
    TFAS: BFP #1 aug16. miscarriage sept16
              BFP #2 nov16 MMC dec16. d&c jan17
              BFP #3 sept17  EDD 5/31/18
    fingers crossed for our rainbow baby
  • I have a pregnancy journal called “From Pea to Pumpkin” it’s weekly with questions and spaces for monthly pictures etc. it was a gift from a friend. I like it. I’m surprised by how little I have to say sometimes. But I’m glad to have it something I wouldn’t have gotten for myself. 
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • @doxiemoxie212 so glad YH is on board. I wouldn't mind checking it out myself. I'm sure everyone can benefit on some level. 

I have a journal I bought too. Nothing fancy, but am way behind. I almost feel like this is a journal, in a way. We post our pictures, share our days on many more levels than I'd ever document on paper, share what we want to eat, how we are feeling. Guess it would be awesome if there was a way to go through and select all the ones you wanted to print...voila, pregnancy journal. 
  • @LaceyBee522 Someone bought me this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0770434932/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) as part of a baby gift so I'm planning to use that. It has some little tidbits about pregnancy that I'm going to fill in. With DD, I actually didn't keep a baby book so I ordered an extra one to go back and fill out for DD. It has a few baby milestones in it but I like that it's something I can keep filling out as they grow. I don't feel AS behind filling it out for DD at age 6! Most of her major milestones I had documented on Facebook and through photos and videos so I can go back and grab dates. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • A friend sent me this bump journal when we found out we were pregnant. I was planning on getting more of a pregnancy planner like something to keep track of to-do's and questions and things like that. I used the bump journal once and I didn't like it. It made me kind of feel bad about not being really excited and enthusiastic in the beginning. I didn't have much to put down for any of the answers, I don't want to tape my actual u/s pictures in there, and I'm not about to get my bump pictures all printed off. I guess if you had a Polaroid it would be easy. I have found I don't really need the planner because there's not that much to keep track of. 

@Austenista you can hide things that you post on FB from specific people. Not saying that it would be the best route with your mom as it could create more harm than good, but you could hide her from you post for a day or two and then add her to it. I'm sure she would figure out that you had already posted it and get upset but it would at least give you a day to enjoy it for yourself. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• @krashke that might be a good plan. I don’t have many mutual friends and no friends on her side of the family. My relationship with her is complicated and I won’t bore you with too many details. Suffice to say she left the picture when I was young and I never lived with her or saw her much. She’s one of those narcissistic personality people. I went non contact with her last pregnancy but eventually gave in (against my better judgement) and let her back in. Now I wish I hadn’t. I have to keep her at arm’s length because she’s so problematic. Having the liberty to post things without them taken directly to her fb would be really liberating. It just feels yucky to have pictures of my baby taken and pasted on her page with all her awful political posts and her drunken whiskey and marijuana posts. Not to mention the fact that I can count on one hand how many times she’s actually seen him in person.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Austenista it also hides it from her seeing if a mutual friend likes or comments on it but that is moot if you don't have mutual friends. When you are going to post something it will show who you are sharing with and you can select "friends except..." and add her to the except. I'm sorry you've had to go through that with your mom. I wouldn't want pictures of my kids or things I post showing up with posts like that either. 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• @sunshineandwhiskey both adorable little bumpies!!

• Anyone else feeling a little nervous about the flu spreading everywhere? I haven't had the flu shot yet, but I read a lot about how highly ineffective they are. But I've also heard that it protects baby even after birth as they can't receive the flu vaccine for the first 6 weeks. Worth it?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @silvergreen I think it's worth it. I haven't gotten one in the past 5 years or so, but being pregnant was a game changer for me. I did wait until I was out of my first trimester. Not because of any scientific reasoning. I just felt better about it. 

My boyfriend tested positive for influenza right before Christmas time and I didnt get it. While it is never 100%, and this year maybe even less than usual, something is better than nothing and I'm sure it had a part in why I didn't get it. After seeing how absolutely, almost deathly ill he was for 2 weeks, I will probably always get it from now. 

But yes, even with the vaccine, it still makes me very nervous how bad it is this year. Very scary. 
  • @silvergreen Getting the flu shot was the second thing I did after confirming the pregnancy with my dr. My work gives them to us for free so I got the preservative free shot. Even if it doesn't 100% prevent, it will significantly shorten the illness and it won't be as bad!
  • @silvergreen I agree with others who say get it. At my first appointment with my OB, she didn’t want me to leave without it. MH got the flu a week or so later, but I didn’t. Was so glad I had the shot. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @silvergreen definitely worth it. This year is so bad that anything to help is a good thing. 
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @silvergreen I have actually been mia most of this week because we are dealing with DD getting sick.  What started as a cold 10 days ago (within days of getting her flu shot) has quickly morphed into something much worse.  She was throwing up for 3 days and yesterday refused to eat or drink.  We had to come to the emergency room and were admitted to the hospital overnight.  She's been pricked and stuck with so many needles and has had an iv for just over 12 hours now.

DH caught her cold and Tuesday night coughed so hard he pulled a muscle.  He at least can take cold medine, babies under 2 can't take anything except Tylenol.  And pregnant ladies are limited as well.  I had a flu shot almost a month ago, so was the only one in our family protected by the shot when this bug started.  My throats hurts a little but I'm the least sick.

Get the flu shot, wash your hands all the time, and as soon as the LOs can get a flu shot get them one.  I never want to go through this week again.

me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• @silvergreen I've always been very pro flu shot. For me and DS. I can't get DH to get one but atleast I know us 2 are covered. They're saying this shot isn't covering the one going around most, but it's still suppose to help lessen symptoms if you do get it. 

And yes! I'm already an extremely anxious person this time of year cause sickness. But im having a rough time this year. We're staying home a lot, hibernating, washing my hands raw, i strip my kid as soon as he walks in after school then Wash his face and hands.
     I'd take a cold from now till April but if I hear flu or stomach bug, I kinda want to cry. 
  • @jsl82 I’m so sorry your family has been hit so hard by this flu season. I can only imagine how difficult it must have been watching your daughter go through all that. Sending you good/healing vibes!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Do you guys take an omega-3/DHA supplement separate from your prenatal? I try to eat salmon/other fish at least once a week and there is some DHA in my prenatal gummy vitamins but I'm wondering if I should be taking more. My Ovia app today said I should get 300 mg a day? 
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • @elsie42 I take the Zahler prenatal vitamin that has 300mg of DHA already in it. You take two capsules a day (one in the morning and one at night). Kinda pricey, but I figured it's worth it for the baby! If you're interested you can find them here: https://www.amazon.com/Zahler-Prenatal-Vitamins-Development-Certified/dp/B01KYBTSQQ :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @elsie42 Yes, I take the Happy Mama gummy supplement that has DHA in it. That’s in addition to my regular prenatal. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @doxiemoxie212 we all had one version of the flu already this year and when I asked my OB she told me not to worry about the shot at this point. I don’t know if that was good advice or not. I read last night that the shot is only 10% effective this year though which is kind of scary. 

Our governor (AL) called for a state of emergency and apparently the hospitals in Bham (where I am) are at capacity. 

Not going to lie, I’m kind of freaked out and we’ve already had one type this year. I’ve resolved not to take my 13mo or myself out right now if it can be avoided. We’ve already been through a flu and another virus this season so we are super over being sick. 

Also, I keep seeing reports that tamiflu isn’t that helpful, and FWIW anytime I’ve taken it, it has helped tremendously. I don’t know if supplies are short and they’re perpetuating an untruth to discourage people asking for it, or if I’ve just been fortunate that it’s helped my whole family when we’ve been down with the flu. Lastly, the impression I received was that it was important I took it and everyone around me take it as a precaution due to me being pregnant. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @elsie42 I take the Smarty Pants prenatal gummies. It has 455mg of fish oil with 132mg of omega 3/dha/epa?

These are just what I could stomach in the beginning. Thanks for bringing up. I'm going to look into what's recommended. My OB never mentioned it. 
  • I take a vegan DHA supplement 
  • Question for S+TM's: did anyone change their hairstyle after giving birth? I'm just imagining spit up and tiny fingers grabbing/getting tangled. I know putting up your hair isn't a huge challenge, but I'm assuming in the middle of the night it might be nice to have one less thing to worry about. I'm thinking about changing up my style in the next couple of weeks and I'm thinking it might just be easier to go shorter?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @silvergreen I did for two reasons; 1) pp hair lose is a b*tch and I needed some bangs to help hide a bald spot and 2) my hair knots like crazy when it’s up in a pony or bun all day. I ended up donating like 9” to locks of love. 
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @silvergreen This may just be my kid, but my hair has been a total comfort thing for him since he was a newborn. When he was all gassy and fussy as a wee thing, he’d hold a handful of hair in each hand and nuzzle into my chest/shoulder. To this day, when he needs comfort, he sucks his left thumb and holds a lock of my hair in his right hand. He has luckily always been gentle. All this to say that I’ve been wanting to cut my hair, but I’m purposely keeping it long for this baby! We’ll see if I regret it.  :D

Overall, though, I never found long hair to be an issue. Throwing it up in the middle of the night was easy, and in everyday life, I find shorter hair needs more styling. So if you want to cut it, def cut it! But I wouldn’t cut it just for a baby.
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • @silvergreen immediately postpartum, it was great to be able to put my hair in a ponytail. I cut it short around 9 months pp because DS kept pulling it. I’ve kept it short since (DS is 27 months) but just started growing it out now since the hair pulling has stopped. 
  • @silvergreen I did cut my hair much shorter. For me a couple of different things influenced my decision. One was that I kinda just prefer my hair a bit shorter than it had gotten during pregnancy. I didn't ever make an appointment to have it cut while pregnant because it wasn't long enough to bother me till near the end when I was so uncomfortable already. Plus I felt like I already lived at the doctor's office so I just couldn't get up for another appointment. Around 12 weeks PP I was so over how long my hair was and I was ready for something shorter.

My other reasons were my son kept grabbing handfuls of my hair and pulling it out. I was so frustrated seeing a baby handful of hair that had just been pulled out. It hurt and it PP hair loss my hair was already thinning like crazy so losing more was just insult to injury. With the PP hair loss my hair was getting really thin at the ends and just didn't look good. Cutting it shorter made it quicker and easier to wash and style, made it look thicker, and also made it harder for my son to grab. Also, did I mention how many times my son spit up in my hair and it just ran down my ponytail from my shoulder to the ends of my hair. Gross. With shoulder length hair I didn't having to worry about that happening.

If you have long hair and you like it long I don't see any reason why you would need to cut it. I know some ladies with children who have long hair and love it. The enjoy having it up in a messy bun or whatever and that's their style jam. That isn't me. I hate having to put my hair up. Buns annoy me so much and my hair is too thin to look pretty in a bun. Different things work for different people so just find what works for you long or short or something in between.
    Me: 28 Husband: 31
    TTC#1: January 2015- September 2016
    Infertility, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
    Rainbow baby born June 6, 2017  ❤️

Baby #2 due June 12, 2018
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @marcus7676 @NamelessAria Ahhhh! Thanks for this! I totally have super fine hair and the more I read how many of you have experienced PP hair loss, I'm thinking I might need a wig!! :s 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @silvergreen I lost hair for about a year! So I cut it shorter to look more full.
  • @pupsicle23 Oh lord! I see my future...

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @silvergreen so I have hypothyroidism (causes hair loss), fine hair, and dealt with PP hair loss. Yes, it sucks and yes, I did cut my hair...but tbh, I kind of wish I hadn’t. It felt fuller with length to it than it did cut. Either way, I didn’t end up with it so bad that I needed a wig or anything. When I had it cut the stylist razored it to make it look fuller and so that helped. Just when it was so short I could really feel how little hair I had. When it was longer it was more deceptive. Regardless, the loss was manageable and while I would have preferred to keep my hair, it wasn’t the end of the world. Those tiny little hands of my son’s that were pulling and ripping out my hair, prompting me to cut it though? That wasn’t pleasant. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @silvergreen I cut my hair the week before my due date, so I wouldn't have to worry about it for a while after DD was born. I always just picked up my hair in a bun when it was time for me to breastfeed, bathe, change diaper, etc. Basically whenever I wasn't around baby. Also I didn't like my hair being in the way when I breastfed, which was pretty much all day err day.