1st Trimester
Options

Two sacs 1 heartbeat confirmed

Dr. saw two sacs at 6 weeks but could only confirm one heartbeat. Has this happened to anyone? Did you find out there were two heartbeats later  or vanishing twin?

Re: Two sacs 1 heartbeat confirmed

• Options
    Omg this is what I’m terrified of! Usually vanishing twin happens prior to 6 weeks and is uncommon after there is a heartbeat detected. But there have been cases where they missed the other baby this early on. Vanishing twin is just when you miscarry one twin usually due to improper implantation or chromosome defect early in development. But due to there being a viable embryo you body won’t pass the miscarryd twin and will reobsorb it. You’ll know for sure at around 8 weeks if they do another to see the heartbeats
  • Options
    My pregnancy last year I originally had two sacs noted at 5 weeks or so (no heartbeats noted), but I was miscarrying one of them. Came back a week or so later and there were two heartbeats in one sac. (Turned out, I was originally expecting triplets.) The identical twins eventually miscarried too, but weird things happen. Vanishing twin is pretty common. 6 weeks is also pretty early to see heartbeats, so that may change too.
    *TW*

TTC#1 - 6.3.16
    BFP#1 - 7.1.16, (mo-di twins + singleton) due 3.15.17
    MC singleton - 7.13.16 - 5w
    MMC identical twins - 8.5.16 - 8w+2d
    Misoprostol 4x
    D&C - 9.12.16
    Hysteroscopy - 11.21.16 - Retained tissue filling half of uterus removed, blocked left tube, benched for 2 cycles, on estrogen/progesterone for 30 days
    HSG - 2.7.17 - Asherman's Syndrome. Both tubes open.
    Hysteroscopy 2.13.17 - Incomplete adhesiolysis for Asherman's, benched & on estrogen/progesterone for 30 days. At least two more surgeries needed...
    Hysteroscopy 3.21.17 - Adhesiolysis for Asherman's, benched & on estrogen/progesterone for 30 days.
    TTCAL #1: 4.24.17
    Hysteroscopy 5.23.17 - Scars reformed. Adhesiolysis. Unsure what to do next...
    Fertility acupuncture - started 6.13.17
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    6w is still on the early side to see a HB, especially if you ovulated later and are not as far along as your LMP would suggest. They will probably do another US closer to 8 weeks and check again. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It's not unusual for twins, especially fraternal twins, to measure a few days off.  It's possible that the second sac was just far enough behind the first one that a HB wasn't visible that early.  It is of course also possible that you will lose one, but it really could go either way.  My sister just had twins, and at 6 weeks they "thought" they saw a second baby, but they didn't confirm it until 8 weeks.  6 weeks is sometimes too early to get a HB even on one baby, depending on how it is positioned.  I wouldn't worry too much about it yet.