1st Trimester

Bloat to Baby Bump

Hey all, I’m 4 weeks and 5 days pregnant and very bloated. Just wondering if the bloating typically subsides before the baby bump appears or should I expect my clothes to be tight until I buy I new ones? I know everyone is different, just want to know what your experiences were. 

Re: Bloat to Baby Bump

• I remember feeling bloated pretty well right away and all through first tri. I think I got a hint of a legit bump around 14-16 weeks. I started wearing maternity pants early - 10 or 11 weeks? - bc the bloat was unbearable! 
  • I bloat the 1st trimester. Typically start showing a bump around 16/20 weeks for me.
  • Loading the player...
  • lalala2004lalala2004 member
    edited December 2017
    Generally by the time the bloat goes down, a real bump replaces it. No in between.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Awesome.  I am so bloated - plus after the holidays to boot, that a coworker asked me if I was pregnant yesterday, at 3+4!  C'mon.... I was really hoping the bloat might subside a bit here....
  • @Businesswife When we told some friends I was pregnant one of them asked if that’s why I looked so poofy. :o I’m hoping he was referring to my complaint of the marshmallow like coat I was wearing. Definitely bloated though, I’ve already started using the hair-tie pants extender method. 
  • lalala2004lalala2004 member
    edited December 2017
    Generally by the time the bloat goes down, a real bump replaces it. No in between.
    I said this, but my bloat has definitely gone down, so I guess there is hope! (7+1 today)

Congrats, @BusinessWife and @SkilledSailor  ! Hopefully the September BMB will be open ina few days!
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• With both of my kiddos I bloated a ton from weeks 6-10, then it went away and I didn't get a proper bump started until ~22-24 weeks. I am team #becomfy though, so get new clothes if you want 'em!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @businesswife first of all...awesome to see you here, I'm so happy for you!  Second of all, with my second pregnancy I bloated IMMEDIATELY.  it was brutal.  But the worst was that an absolute stranger on the street stopped me at 16 weeks (16 WEEKS) to congratulate me on my pregnancy.  it was January, and I was wearing a winter coat, and this complete stranger was SO SURE I was pregnant that he was willing to comment on it in public.  I was NOT IMPRESSED.  I can't believe someone had the gall to ask you right after the holidays if you were pregnant, given that I can't imagine you are SO BLOATED at less than 4 weeks that you actually look pregnant.  like, those are Christmas cookies, lady.  give me a break.

I started wearing maternity jeans at about 10 weeks with my second pregnancy just because they're hella comfortable and I heart elastic waistbands.  if my sister didn't currently have all of my maternity clothes (I lent them to her and she gave birth in November) I might be convinced to put them on even earlier this time.  But that is largely because this Bonus Baby came before I actually lost all the weight from the last one, so basically I am screwed now.  Though I bet none of my coworkers will suspect a thing when I eventually tell them about it given that I was already heavier than normal.  is that a plus?  I'm not sure.  haha.

• edited January 2018
    @delujm0. Oh totally!  I think she also thought she was being clever bc they know I have an ongoing medical issue, but I never disclosed what all my random doctors appointments were for.  She has totally picked up on my BOTB tho when clients come in with their minis, so she is convinced all my apt have been BR.  Smart lady. ;)  but still.  DH is adamant that we not get into the whole treatment aspect when we do reveal the pregnancy, and I'm not sure how soon I want to tell work, (even tho one coworker knows, she is trustworthy I think, and not in a position to hold it over me).  So when the time comes, she can think what she wants about our apts (it's nobody's business if we needed X $$$ worth of covered fertility treatments to conceive, right?  Right.)

Congrats to your sister!!!  I did get some maternity jeans a while back, but I can't wear them at work.  Luckily my work pants are all stretchy with no closure so that are still working, just some tops are more flattering than others.  I made a couple comments about wanting to join the *gym*, and no one has said anything else about my chubbiness - although I'm sure they see it doesn't look like I'm exactly trying to diet bc I'm always starving at work and have been making a point to have a yogurt in the morning to get me through to lunch! Lol. I do have a few dresses I could get away with, but not every day, or people would think something was up.  Those will be better after I tell work which... at this point, I'm not sure when I should.  I *may* need to be able to grab a snack if I'm starving, or excuse myself if I think I'm going to throw up (thankfully we are not there yet) but I'm also afraid a bit of not being promoted as quickly once they find out... who wants to bother promoting a girl into a new role if you're just going to lose her a few short months later, right? :/

*typos
  • It's my first time round and I'm 11 weeks tomorrow (I think...). I've been really bloated for weeks now with constipation and gas to boot. Does it go away? Is there anything I can do?
  • It's my first time round and I'm 11 weeks tomorrow (I think...). I've been really bloated for weeks now with constipation and gas to boot. Does it go away? Is there anything I can do?
    Not much you can do, very normal during pregnancy. It will eventually decreases as you get further along.
  • So bloated... Ugh
    I do notice I feel better if I avoid salt, drink lots of water, go to the gym... You know the things I keep telling myself to do
    I feel way more bloated than my first pregancy.
  • 8.5 weeks now.. my bloating is almost nonexistent today and no nausea. I freaked out at first because for the first time in weeks i feel "normal," but sounds like it's normal for symptoms to disappear occasionally? 
  • 8.5 weeks now.. my bloating is almost nonexistent today and no nausea. I freaked out at first because for the first time in weeks i feel "normal," but sounds like it's normal for symptoms to disappear occasionally? 
    Yes it’s normal