June 2018 Moms

Baby Names

Re: Baby Names

• srb1028srb1028 member
    edited December 2017
    My DH and I have only thrown a few names around but haven't agreed on one specific name for each gender yet (depending on if we are having a girl or boy).

The boy name that has really stood out to both my DH and me is Archer Matthew- middle name is after my brother Matthew who passed away in 2016 after a motorcycle accident.

The girl name that I really like is Cora Ruth - middle name Ruth after my deceased grandmother who was also my godmother. DH hasn't given much feedback on girl names because he is convinced we are having a boy. Our DS name is Gavin.
    26 y/o FTM (biologically)
    1 Child - Son - 9 y/o
    Married - DH 27 y/o 
    BFP: 10/13/17
    EDD: 6/22/18
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • ramblebeeramblebee member
    edited December 2017
    I love all the ideas here!! We are having the hardest time with boy names.

This might come across as a little wack-a-do BUT in today's day and age I totally recommend you google names on your finalist lists juuuuust to see what is out there or WHO might be associated already. Also, if you want to join me on level 2 and 3 of wack-a-do world... I've already claimed a gmail account with our girl name finalist and I'll do the same with our boy name. I'll also be reserving unique social media accounts so they are not available to others. I blame working in social media for all this.

Edit: I should also add that I am super conscious about digital footprints and do not intend to post anything on the social media accts.
  • Loading the player...
  • @silvergreen I've gotten over the worry about ways chuldren could be teased over names. Cruel kids will find a way to make fun of any name. Go with what you love. 
  • We don't know if babe ia a boy or girl yet. I can't think of girl names I like this time around. I'm loving Ezra for a boy though.
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I loved reading this thread! We’re having such a hard time with names. He says no to everything! 

He has a big German last name which starts with a Z and my last name will be our baby boy’s middle name (Bradley). I will probably change my name to his last name I just haven’t yet. 

We like Owen, Oliver and he likes Wyatt. I like Tristan (one of the Knights of the round table) and Cooper. I also really like Bradley as a first name but my family thought that was strange since it’s their last name.

I got some great ideas from this thread that I’ll have to run by him too. Carson, Felix and Ezra are cute...but with such a big last name I may need something without X’s or Z’s for the first name. 

Who knew picking names would be so hard!!? 
  • @helenbz my son’s name, Eaton, is my grandmother’s maiden name. I’ve got plenty of cousins/aunts/uncles with that surname. That’s why I liked it though. I was surprised no one in the family had decided to use it as a first name before me. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @helenbz My dad so desperately wants me to name this LO and DS when I was pregnant with him my maiden name. It’s not really first name material like Bradley is. If you love it, go for it. 
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @helenbz There is a little boy on our street named Wyatt, and I think it’s so cute. I never actually liked that name until I saw a little baby attached to it! Now I’m a fan.
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • I’m a little bummed this morning because I just told DH my #1 boy name is Mason Scott (Scott is his middle name too) and he shot it down because he knows a guy who owns a masonry business so that’s the first thing he thinks of. Boo! Well, two more weeks til we find out what we’re having anyways. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We are stuck on middle names. If a girl first name will be MaeLeigh. Hubs great Grandma was Ada Mae and his sister is Kayleigh. Now for the middles (we do two middles) Torrey Anne (my moms maiden and Ann is the middle name for several aunts on both side) or Anne Louise (my great Grandma was Etta Louise. 

Boy, Theodore. No family ties whatsoever. We will use David as one of the middle names but have no clue for the other. I suggested Torrey David, but hubs had any sold on that. 
  • So it's been awhile since I posted names BUT WE FINALLY AGREED ON A BOY NAME!!! IT'S A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE!!!! LMFAO

Quick update, girl name we picked really easily. As I mentioned before, I had a little voice in the back of my head saying to focus on girl names. We had a list of both genders, so I told my husband to go thru the current list and scratch off what he didn't like
    Which surprised me, there were names I thought he'd like and didn't.

Anyways .... so girl is Michelle Jaclyn

Recently we added more boy names because we couldn't make a decision - knowing the middle name we wanted - and it came down to the 4 names we added. One of which, my mum suggested.

Boy name will be ..... Wesley Jack

Which will both create a great story on how we got their names.

Michelle - my dad that passed was named Michael. That name would have been on the list anyways, but now it has more meaning. My nana {dad's mother} mentioned we're essentially doing his name but in feminine version since he was Michael John lmao

Wesley - my mum met a baby recently and really liked the name. Suggested it. So we can say "grandma named you :)" Also works because there's a lot of Star Trek and Star Wars in our lives {Wesley Crusher - TNG, also I felt flutters the first time while seeing Last Jedi" .... seriously help. Lmao!}

I'm so glad we decided before we find out gender next week! :)
  • We are having a girl in June and I think we are going with Brinley. My DH has been calling her that for the last 2 weeks since we found out she was a girl. I love it but I also love Harper. I've been trying new names and he says no to everything but Brinley. He's driving me crazy! I live Brinley but I'm stubborn and don't want to let him pick it. 
  • So DH and I have had minimal conversations around naming this little guy- but we seem to be stuck on Finnegan.  We both loved the name when we were pregnant with DD and so it's still at the top of our list.  The problem is our DD's name is Reagan and we call her Rey a lot.  Finnegan will be shortened to Finn- so our kids will be Rey and Finn.  DH is a HUGE Star Wars fan (our basement bathroom has Kylo Ren holding the toilet paper, a death star mirror, and "Rebel Scum" soap dispenser & we were planning on doing a Star Wars nursery) so everyone would assume we named them after Star Wars- but we didn't.  It makes us VERY hesitant to name him Finnegan, but we haven't really discussed any other names.  So June Bugs and Lurkers.... what do you think about Rey (Reagan) and Finn (Finnegan) as sibling names?
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• @jsl82, I think I would stay away from the names simply because they end the same. That’s the only part that would bother me. 
    I think Rey and Finn are super cute together. 
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married 6/15/13
    BFP #1 5/8/16, EDD 12/31/16- DD born 9/10/16 at 24 weeks 
    ~In our hearts forever~
    BFP #2 10/14/17, EDD 7/1/18

• I love those names together @jsl82

BabyFruit Ticker
  • LukesMom16LukesMom16 member
    edited January 2018
    @jsl82 I love both names and until you told me about the Star Wars connection I didn't even think of it and I've seen the movies.  We have a Luke and we're expecting a girl so everyone thinks it's funny to ask if her name will be Leia!
  • @jsl82 I adore Finnegan! I wouldn't count it out for the Rey and Finn reference. Granted, I'm not a huge Star Wars fan  (I really liked A New Hope but haven't seen The Last Jedi) but I don't think the association is an ubiquitous as say Luke and Leia :) And, if DD goes by Reagan and Rey is just a NN, its even less of an issue (that's how I read it, I could br wrong). 

The only thing that would make me think twice was if your friends are going to give you a bunch of crap about naming your kids after Star Wars characters. Even then, they'll get over it and your kids will have cute names :)
  • @jsl82 I’m not in to Star Wars so I’d have  never picked up on it. Just wanted to say that I really love the name Finn!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @jsl82 Not a Star Wars fan so totally wouldn't have associated those names with it. Think those names work well together, and surprisingly don't mind the matchy end sound. I typically prefer matching sibset names for twins/multiples, but I personally feel in your case they sound different enough to work! 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @jsl82 I love Finnegan and Finn! And I don’t think people will immediately make that connection. If they do, and they’re decent people, it’ll just be a second of a fleeting thought before they move on. Use a name that you love :)

@MissKittyDanger I loooove the names Wesley and Jack. Nicely done ;)

Gals. We are heavily considering a family name if we have a boy: Alan/Allan. I don’t really picture baby Alan (Baby Al? Nah.) but I think it’s a nice name and would honor a really amazing person in our family.  The person spells his name with two Ls but I kind of like it with one. In other news, I’m so convinced we are having a boy that we are probably having a girl. I like Evelyn Joy. We love older names in this family, haha. Im really set on joy as a middle name.
  • @pupsicle23 Jack is a family name {popular on both sides} but what about doing it as a middle name if you're not sold as first name?
  • @pupsicle23 What about Alana/Alanna for a girl? I've always thought it was a pretty name and it's also the name of my favourite book character/heroine as a young girl. :smile:
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • What do you all think  of Brooklyn Rae? My DH and I like Brooklyn but I'm not 100% sure. Here are my thoughts/concerns: DS is Benjamin. Are Benjamin and Brooklyn too matchy matchy? My name is Katelyn Rae. Is it weird that half our first names would be the same as well as middle name? MN will definitely be Rae as its a family name on both sides :) And lastly, we are trying to avoid trendy names and prefer more classic sounding ones...does Brooklyn strike you as trendy? I'm on the fence. As I type that all out, it sounds like I have a lot of reservations but I'm pretty sure I can overthink any name on our list.

Others that we like are Avery, Caroline, Ella (Ellie) and Sophie (although Brooklyn is the only one DH consistently likes...haha)
  • @katelynrae86, I don’t think Brooklyn and Katelyn are too matchy. I like Brooklyn but would definitely consider it trendy and not classic. 
    Caroline, Ella, and Sophie are a lot more classic and not trendy. 
    Me: 27 DH: 27
    Married 6/15/13
    BFP #1 5/8/16, EDD 12/31/16- DD born 9/10/16 at 24 weeks 
    ~In our hearts forever~
    BFP #2 10/14/17, EDD 7/1/18

• @katelynrae86 I think Brooklyn is beautiful! Brook is a solid shortened version too, if you like to do stuff like that. I like all the similarities within the family naming but obviously you have to like it! I feel like the other names are pretty common as well though and have heard Brooklyn much less actually!
  • @katelynrae86 If it's classic you're going for, then I wouldn't recommend Brooklyn. If I'm 100% honest, I immediately think of the Beckham's son when I hear the name, so I automatically jump to trendy. I don't think I've ever seen/heard the name used before that. Sorry. :(
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @KatelynRae86 if Avery is not trendy then its definitely starting to trend. I know 3 babies name Avery all born in the last 18 months. 2 girls, 1 boy.
    Me:27 DH: 31 Married Since: 08/2016
    TTC: 08/2017 EDD: 6/11/2018 FTM
  • @katelynrae86 I really like the name Brooklyn, but would agree that it falls in the trendy category. I have a cousin and two friends who all had daughters recently and they're all named Brooklyn. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• @katelynrae86 I would agree that almost every name on your list is trending right now. 

Sophia has been in the top 5 of girls names for quiet some time now (and was #1 in 2017). Sophie was #75.
    Avery has also been popular for a few years and was #23 last year.
    Ella was #24 and Ellie was #34
    Brooklyn was #45 (so at least it isn't in the top 20 girls names).
    Caroline is #98 on the 2017 list, but Caroline Rae just reminds me of the comedian Caroline Rhea (which may not matter to you- but is something to consider if you plan to call her by first and middle name consistently)

If you don't care about DD having a trendy name- they are all good choices and she will always be able to find something in the souvenir shops with her name on it.   If not having a trending name is important than Brooklyn & Caroline are your best options.   And really if you find a name you both agree on before the half way point- consider yourself a winner in naming a baby- we went to the hospital without a firm name for DD last time. 
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• I think we've finally decided, or rather my husband finally agreed.  We are going to have a Livia Ann.  I know all the comments about Livia vs. Olivia but I just didn't want her to be Olivia.  I love the name Livia, love that it's Italian (our last name is Italian) and that it had historical significance.  Yes I've probably doomed her to a life of, "Did you say your name was Olivia?" but we're not naming her for everyone else!

My takeaway from this is, if you love it and you can envision it, GO FOR IT!  Everyone else be damned!
  • katelynrae86katelynrae86 member
    edited January 2018
    Thanks for all the feedback, everyone! Don't apologize @silvergreen, I want the honest feedback :) And I guess I should clarify: I'm not against top 20 names necessarily, I just don't want one that will sound dated in 10 or 20 years (hello, every Katelyn I know was born between 1985-1995). That's so much harder for girls than boys. We're still totally up in the air...luckily we've got 5 months to decide.

And funny you bring up Caroline Rhea @jsl82. We were considering Caroline if DS was a girl and I thought of her immediately...I like her (c'mon...who didn't like Aunt Hilda on Sabrina lol) but didn't necessarily want everyone to think of her when they saw DD. I mentioned it to a group of co-workers and they all said, "who?". They were all early 20s at the time...so I just felt old  :D

@LukesMom16 I had never heard Livia until a family friend named their daughter this 5 years ago. You're right, she will probably get used to saying, "Not Olivia, Livia," but its such a beautiful name. Congrats on having a name you love and have decided on!

edited for clarity :)
  • @katelynrae86 I'm like a decade older than most of my co-workers and I understand feeling old with pop references.  I also think that all names have a shelf-life so to speak.  Names last for 10-20 years in popularity before becoming an "old" person name and than 80 years later the name is back in fashion.  My husband's grandmothers name is Mabel- I can't pick a more classic old person name and it's coming back in trend.  In 50 years we (the Jessicas, Jennifers, Katelyns, Melissas, ect) will all be the grandma names, and our grandkids will be naming babies after us- thus starting the cycle all over again.

me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• @katelynrae86 thank you!  I'm sure you'll find the perfect name for your perfect bundle!  Good luck!
  • I love DS's name. It fits him perfectly. It's unique, but not too unique that people can't spell it. It has a great nickname.  

For the life of me, I can't come up with another boy's name (we are Team Green).  Names we have considered and disregarded:

Bastian (this may still be a contender)
    Rowan
    Whitman
    Watson
    Wolf (this is my husband's choice, not mine)
    Felix
    Oscar
    Elliott

Any other names that are similar out there?
  • @marcus7676 What about Ian? Would that fit into your list? I think that's a really cute name.

AFM,
    My husband is Spanish and is only interested in throwing out Spanish soccer players for boy names (we're team green, so I'm picking a girl and a boy name and he's picking a boy and a girl name, then we'll pick when they're here and we see what we have).

He's very clever and has chosen the name of MY favorite Spanish soccer player: Xavier. Would you guys find this weird in the states? It would be pronounced like "Zay-vee-er" not "Ex-zay-vee-er". and Nickname is Xavi (pronounced Sha-vee). Keep in mind husband's last name is classic Spanish and we live in a very multi-cultural city. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @LaceyBee522 I like it!  Though I bet you'll find you're correcting people a lot.  Worth it if your love the name though!

@marcus7676. What about something like Maxwell, Warner, Winston, Westley.  I like the list you've got going though!
    We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

• krash_krash_ member
    edited January 2018
    @LaceyBee522 I read it as "zay-vee-er" I don't know what the common pronunciation is so you/he might be correcting people but not a big deal IMO. Also, just to throw it out there if your H is Spanish what about Javier? 
    *TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• @LaceyBee522 I like it!  It's cool that it's a classic name and fits in with his heritage.  Super cool!!  And like @krashke said, I actually pronounced it your way when I read it too, even though I have heard it primarily the other way. 
    BFP #1 October 2008 | m/c Thanksgiving weekend | November 2008 | 7 weeks 2 days
    BFP #2 February 2009 | m/c March 2009 | 4 weeks 3 days
    Testing on mom and dad for possible reasons all came back normal.
    BFP #3 8/4/2009 | DD born 3/28/10 @ 38 weeks
    BFP #4 5/13/11 | m/c 6/15/11 | 8 weeks 6 days
    BFP #5 2/13/13 | CP 2/19/13 | 4 weeks 
    BFP #6 3/21/14 | Heard the HB on 4/16 | m/c 4/21/14 | 9 weeks
    Testing results all returned normal and baby was a GIRL.
    More testing on mom and dad for other issues all returned normal results.
    BFP #7 10/15 | DS born 6/4/16 @ 36 weeks 
    BFP #8 9/28/17 AHHH!!!  |  EDD 6/6/18

"Dear Lord, I would have loved to have held my babies on my lap & tell them about you, but since I didn't get the chance, would you please hold them on your lap & tell them about me?"
    All are welcome!

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @marcus7676 - What about Everett, Cormac, Dalton, Devon, Evan, Oliver, or Wyatt?

@LaceyBee522 - I like Xavier - there's Xavier University in Ohio that pronounces it the same way you do, so I don't think you'll have too much trouble with pronunciation. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018