Anyone still go here? — The Bump
Dads & Dads-to-be

Anyone still go here?

I see the last posts were from September.  Typical for a guys discussion forum, I suppose.  Anyway, I'm a dad to 2 little guys (6,3).  Looking for a place to hangout, get some support and shoot the shit.  Life has been pretty lonely the past few months.  We recently got out of the military and are getting settled in at home.  We live near my wife's family (which we did before joining the service 5 years ago).  I'm enjoying my job, but I'm the youngest by far and all my same aged peers are those I supervise.  A coupe of friends I had before moving were from school and we lost touch.  I'm sure in time I'll find my place, but there is little time between work, commute, and kiddos.  W isn't all that social and she spends most of her time with her family so I do by extension.

I'm finding with little time to myself, to socialize, or be as active as I'd like (I'm a runner or maybe former runner is more accurate these days and enjoy working out) I'm feeling sluggish and irritable.  I hate that my day consists of work, dinner, homework with DS1, bath time, bedtime routine and by then I'm so exhausted and frustrated I'm yelling at the kids.  I'd love to be getting up early to workout, but it just doesn't happen.  It's a process and I'll get back there.  I'm planning on joining a running club in the spring and have cleaned out a space in the garage to workout.  So, I guess I'm prepping for a life change.  I've also found some relief in taking a few minutes to myself before putting the kids to bed.  A short reset helps to remember they aren't trying to be A-holes, they are just kids who are tired and tired kids tend to act like A-holes.

Yeah...so I really got nothing, just wanted to pop in and see if there were more than crickets here. 

Re: Anyone still go here?

• I see the last posts were from September.  Typical for a guys discussion forum, I suppose.  Anyway, I'm a dad to 2 little guys (6,3).  Looking for a place to hangout, get some support and shoot the shit.  Life has been pretty lonely the past few months.  We recently got out of the military and are getting settled in at home.  We live near my wife's family (which we did before joining the service 5 years ago).  I'm enjoying my job, but I'm the youngest by far and all my same aged peers are those I supervise.  A coupe of friends I had before moving were from school and we lost touch.  I'm sure in time I'll find my place, but there is little time between work, commute, and kiddos.  W isn't all that social and she spends most of her time with her family so I do by extension.

I'm finding with little time to myself, to socialize, or be as active as I'd like (I'm a runner or maybe former runner is more accurate these days and enjoy working out) I'm feeling sluggish and irritable.  I hate that my day consists of work, dinner, homework with DS1, bath time, bedtime routine and by then I'm so exhausted and frustrated I'm yelling at the kids.  I'd love to be getting up early to workout, but it just doesn't happen.  It's a process and I'll get back there.  I'm planning on joining a running club in the spring and have cleaned out a space in the garage to workout.  So, I guess I'm prepping for a life change.  I've also found some relief in taking a few minutes to myself before putting the kids to bed.  A short reset helps to remember they aren't trying to be A-holes, they are just kids who are tired and tired kids tend to act like A-holes.

Yeah...so I really got nothing, just wanted to pop in and see if there were more than crickets here. 
    Pretty much just crickets...

and believe me, all other dads feel your pain.  your former life is essentially gone and it's going to be years until you can get back to any kind of resemblance of how it was.

i have found very little in the way of dad support online and essentially run out of here 4 years ago when my son was born.

I try to get away for a solo weekend a few times a year - that helps a great deal
  • I feel like life definitely changed after kids.  But we had normal the past four years.  I think moving again has hit the reset button.  Even the last three moves in 4 years was okay in that our typical routine wasn't much different.  This go around, a lot has changed with DW going back to work and her dad picking the kids up from school.  It's like we went form no support to living/not living with her family.  Which is fine most of the time.  I actually really like them and we get along well.  

Solo weekend?!?  that's sounds amazing.  I'm just trying to carve out a few 45 minutes chunks of time a week to workout.  I think once we are actually settled in, there will be more time.  It's only been a few months in our new home so pictures and furniture is being moved a little at a time until it's just right...small random projects take up a good deal of time making the place ours.
  • Loading the player...
  • Dad support is basically non existent.  I feel like you need a consistent group to make it work, but you also need a consistent group to have a consistent group.  It's hard to feel supported with one post a month, but you need people to contribute to make things active in order to have more people feel like it's worth it...