May 2018 Moms

Twins: totally freaking out

So, I will be a FTM of TWINS on May 13th. Last night, I did what you should never do and read a bunch of horror stories about giving birth. I'm a bit squeamish (okay, a lot squeamish y'all- if we're being serious) and the potential of ripping "down there" during birth / needing stitches is HORRIFYING to me. Ugh. I'm especially worried about this since I have to push out TWO babies. Any words of encouragement??

Re: Twins: totally freaking out

• cups4cups4 member
    edited December 2017
    Ripping and episiotomies are common enough with just one baby. Luckily for me, with an emergency csection I have a 4-5 inch cut across my lower abdomen...
  • Loading the player...
  • edited December 2017
    Episiotomy and forceps for my first (single birth) Bad stitch job too so I'm actually hoping to tear this time and get it cleaned up. Labour is messy and unpredictable but you'll get through it. Try not to worry too much about it. @suchaglencoco is right, can't go back now. Maybe do more research around labouring techniques and pain management (drugs or natural ways) to ease your mind instead. 

• I had my twin girls vaginally, I tore.  If you have any questions or just want to vent, feel free to PM me.  

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP June 2013- blighted ovum, D&C Aug 2013
    BFP Oct 2013- twins!  A&H born May 2014
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• I'm a STM and had a baby girl with my first delivery, so no experience with twins. I had a first degree tear and honestly hardly noticed it. I had an epidural, so I didn't feel it during labor and didn't feel getting stitched. You're so euphoric at that point to be holding your baby, even without an epidural I've heard many moms don't notice. Definitely talk to your Dr about tearing naturally vs episiotomy. My Dr tries to avoid episiotomies as much as possible and said tearing often heals better. After labor when the epi wore off, I honestly didn't sense much more discomfort at the tear than I did in general from labor. I remember being freaked out about it prior to labor, but after it really wasn't anything to be overly worried about. I know some women tear worse than I did and everyone's experiences are different. It will be ok mama! 
  • I don’t have any twin experience but I’m a STM with a 15mth old. I was pretty terrified of labor and tearing but to echo what a lot of moms have been saying I had the epidural and didn’t feel much of anything. I tore a little internally and needed some stitches. As far as recovery goes I didn’t really notice being sore from tearing vs sore from pushing out a 8lb6oz baby. I did use the squirt bottle longer than I probably needed to just in case though lol 
    Some great advice I received from friends was take as many pads, pairs of granny panties and ice packs you can from the hospital. 
  • clee5711 said:
    I don’t have any twin experience but I’m a STM with a 15mth old. I was pretty terrified of labor and tearing but to echo what a lot of moms have been saying I had the epidural and didn’t feel much of anything. I tore a little internally and needed some stitches. As far as recovery goes I didn’t really notice being sore from tearing vs sore from pushing out a 8lb6oz baby. I did use the squirt bottle longer than I probably needed to just in case though lol 
    Some great advice I received from friends was take as many pads, pairs of granny panties and ice packs you can from the hospital. 
    Yes, definitely take all the supplies they give you. I made padsicles (witch hazel and aloe on pads and frozen) ahead of time to use when I got home. Dermoplast also helped. 
  • Most women will only have a first or a second degree tear. I know it sounds horrible, but you’ll be so distract by your babies that you won’t care! That being said, I had a third degree tear with my
    first and it caused a lot of problems for me. I ended up going to a urogynecologist and they referred me to physical therapy. That fixed the problem and I’ve since had 3 vaginal births with no tearing. Anyway, for anyone reading this, if you have problems with your vagina after birth, go see a pelvic floor physical therapist! They can help so much! 
  • First, congrats on your twins! I have a singleton (5) and twins who are 20mo. Birth, no matter how you go through it can be a scary experience. Honestly, once you are going through it you aren't really thinking about the scary things,  you are just ready to meet your babies! I had a vaginal birth with my daughter with two 1st degree tears and a c/s with my twins. Looking back I wouldn't say that one was any worse than the other. In the end we had/have three healthy happy kids, as well as a healthy mama. Deep breath, just take things one day at a time!
  • Congratulations on twins!  I don't have twins, but my cousin does and I know she had some "getting used to" when she found out.  Honestly, and not to freak you out, but labor isn't fun no matter what.  LOL  I know we had a thread not too long ago that went into all the "Oh no!  I forgot about XYZ after having baby #1".  We all decided to do it again though!  Even several twin mommys are pregnant again.  It's definitely worth it when you hold your baby/babies!  Being a mommy is the best, most exhausting, rewarding, frustrating thing I've ever done.  Just think... all the great moments (I love yous, sloppy toddler kisses, cuddles, etc), you'll have times 2! 

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • @JNCPro3130 yeeeeup I'm totally guilty for accidentally traumatizing the FTMs. #sorrynotsorry 
  • @suchaglencoco I don't think OP is coming back. I was honestly surprised at the effort put in this thread when OP has 4 non contributing posts and never introduced herself. But what do I know. I just tend to keep my mouth shut since we're too mean if we don't feed into the drive bys. But if the people who thought we were too snarky prefer wasting time on responses that OP will never read then be my guest. My two cents. Carry on.
    In hindsight... I shouldn't have responded.  UGH!  Why do I bother?  I responded to someone yesterday too.  I'm in a pissy mood today, so I will avoid drive-bys if they appear.  I'll follow the "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" motto today.

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • sandbar517sandbar517 member
    edited December 2017
    I've really been trying to keep my judgmental nature under better control, so I try to do the snippy, straight to the point, but not overly nice or bitchy answers.  That way, if they come back and say, Oh shit, I'm so sorry, I totally didn't see all those other threads! we can still kinda give them the benefit of the doubt, and at least give them the chance to redeem themselves.  Plus, I admit, I have a bit of a soft spot for other twin moms.  Most of the time, I've been trying to either ignore the drive-bys or do the "read the other posts and introduce yourself" and judge my further responses on how they react.  

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP June 2013- blighted ovum, D&C Aug 2013
    BFP Oct 2013- twins!  A&H born May 2014
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• kpc914kpc914 member
    edited December 2017
    @charlestonchew I agree. We have had a few drive-by's and AW posts (in my opinion) that people have been giving legit responses to lately. I bite my tongue and just lurk.....but, I have a pretty good intuition that the OP's aren't here to participate/interact and/or just want attention. 
  • @katievela, I hope you appreciated all of this great insight the ladies took the time to type out.

• katievela said:
    So, I will be a FTM of TWINS on May 13th. Last night, I did what you should never do and read a bunch of horror stories about giving birth. I'm a bit squeamish (okay, a lot squeamish y'all- if we're being serious) and the potential of ripping "down there" during birth / needing stitches is HORRIFYING to me. Ugh. I'm especially worried about this since I have to push out TWO babies. Any words of encouragement??
    Also qfp 
  • @katievela No worries! I've had a few hectic weeks as of late myself. Glad our answers have been helpful and discussions with your doctor have helped ease your nerves.