February 2017 Moms
Options

Finger food sizes

I am gradually introducing finger foods to my 10 month old and I was wondering about the sizes of food he should eat. Does anyone have pictures of sizes? Like chicken pieces, pasta pieces etc... I’m terrified my baby will choke.

Re: Finger food sizes

• Options
    I'm terrified of my little guy choking too... I cut the pieces ridiculously small, but I would rather him be able to swallow it whole if need be. I know some of the F17 mama's let their kiddos chomp off foods on their own. I don't have any pictures right now, but I'll take some tomorrow and post them.... this is all assuming you come back lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you. That would be so helpful and reassuring I’m getting this finger food transition
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Mandypandyoso here are a few pics of my LO (just click the spoiler button!)

I also cut up pieces super small...in the one pic, the chicken pieces are slightly bigger than what I normally like, but it was hard to cut those into small pieces!

My LO will be a year old on Thursday! (She was born 6 weeks early) but she eats very well with the sizes she’s given. She has just recently started to grab whole pieces of food and biting them herself. For example, this weekend she grabbed half of the pancake I was tearing for her and started eating it whole. I’m not quite ready for all that lol, but she seems to be.

• Options
    My son hates purees still so after talking to his dr we are starting some finger foods to see if he’d prefer feeding himself. So far we have tried egg broken into tiny pieces but he just played with it. Last night we tried roasted carrots. I made them about the length and diameter of my pinky. It was very soft like I could squish it easily with my fingers. He mostly played but did take one bite. He chewed and chewed at that one bite before swallowing but had no problems swallowing. 

I looked up a bunch of baby led weaning videos about choking vs gagging. It made me more confident. Good luck!
    Me: 33 | DH: 34
    Married: October, 19, 2015
    EDD 2/22/17 <3 DS1 born on 3/2/17
    EDD 3/8/20 <3 DS2 born on 3/10/20
    EDD 11/24/23
    (Formerly Marriedhamstermom Feb ‘17)

• Options
    My daughter has 6 teeth and counting and just turned 10 months. We get the organic puffs which are about the size of a cheerio. We also give her whole crackers and she bites off pieces herself. I somewhat vary the size of pieces I give her depending on the food but I try and use a cheerio size as a reference. She loves feeding herself now, and we also went with the baby led weaning concept. We do make her smoothies with purees and she enjoys them, but especially the last few weeks she has really gotten into feeding herself and will grab food right off my plate. I was so terrified of choking when we first started introducing foods, but I am more comfortable now and she seems to really have a good handle on eating safely. 
  • Options
    I think the rule is finger sized pieces... Now no clarification as to yours or theirs, but I go with theirs.  Or the cheerio reference is great too. Our biggest issue is that we can only give him a couple pieces at a time, or he puts all of them in his mouth immediately.
    He likes his food. For those who are mostly squishing... personally, I found that if I put the food in his tray, then feed him a piece from the tray, he will eat it. I think is easier for him to understand THIS is food, not here's a toy and I'll also give you food? At least it works with ds.
  • Options
    Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice. It helps when you have someone tell you things you know but are not confident yet with.
  • Options
    Sorry, we had a terribly busy day yesterday and I forgot to take pics. Today, he didn't eat any finger foods at breakfast, so I couldn't do a picture, but usually he eats scrambled eggs. I let them cook sort of flat, then cut them into skinny strip, then into smaller lengths so they don't break up everywhere. Today at lunch, he had part of a hotdog. I cut small rings off, then cut them twice in both directions making 9 pieces per ring. Is it probably too small, sure, but I am concerned over him choking and he only just started finger foods recently, so I'm trying to let him have tiny pieces to get used to new textures. As he gets used to the hot dog, I'll eventually just quarter cut it length ways, (and into small rings)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The Cheerio size is a great choice! That is mostly what I base the sizes I make off of as well. Wyatt refuses purees and has been wanting to feed himself for about 3 months now. We started out with the "meltable" options like the puffs and Cheerios. That made me feel better that if he didn't grasp the concept of chewing, it would melt on the way down. Now he eats everything we do cut into Cheerio size bites. I definitely agree with the weaning and the choking vs. gagging and also understand the fear of choking! Go with what you and baby seem to be comfortable with :)