April 2018 Moms

Breastfeeding/Supplementing/Formula Feeding

I shared this article in the Weekly Randoms and some said it would be good to have it's own thread since it talks about rethinking the Breastfeeding guidelines that WHO and AAP recommend, and it would make for some good open dialogue.  Thought it would be good information about how we need to support a mother no matter how she feeds her child.  Also BF does not come natural to every mom and baby so it your plans for BF don't go the way you planned that it is ok if you have to supplement or switch completely to formula feeding.  I know not everyone will agree and that's ok, but just because you don't agree with how a mom feeds her child doesn't mean you can't support her in her journey.  What works for you won't necessarily work for someone else.  I hope we can be supportive enough of one another that we won't face the dreaded mom guilt that comes with feeding, I know easier said then done.  

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/case-rethinking-breastfeeding-goals-163726732.html

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  DIStickerscom Ticker

DIStickerscom Ticker

Re: Breastfeeding/Supplementing/Formula Feeding

• Loading the player...
  • @klburke88, we have a breastfeeding thread you might be interested in. I'm sure once babies start coming many of us that have oodles of wisdom to share will do so!

https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12717098/breastfeeding-survival-guide

DS: EDD, December 19th, 2014. Born, December 19th, 2014!
    DD: EDD, July 18th, 2016. Born, July 19th, 2016!
    CafeMom Tickers

Baby #3: EDD, April 16th, 2016
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • ngolimentongolimento member
    edited December 2017
    @klburke88 I think the myth arose because of older babies.  Because sure, if you exclusively suppliment for the entire first month of a baby's life, then try to get them to latch onto a boob, they are going to be all "wtf?".  But if you start them out with boob time, and are forced to occasionally suppliment, they will prefer the boob.

With supplementing,  the only thing you need to be cautious of is to make sure your nipples get stimulated as well.  Think of your first week as the order box at the drive through.  How often you stimulate your breast will determine what you pick up at the window.  Let your kid at least try to nurse as often as they want before supplimenting, and that should be fine for your end production.   You even have the option of taping a feeding line to your nipple so your baby can be fed formula while "nursing" on you.  That covers both stimulating you, and feeding the baby.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @lindsye thanks! Can I ask how long between your milk drying up and milk coming back in for next kid? Just curious, I wonder if there’s a correlation. It will have been 18 months for me. 
  • @Puddlewonderful yeah it’s more like 6 months for me (all of mine have nursed until close to 18 months old), so that could definitely have affected it as well. I hope yours comes in faster for baby #2! It sure makes life easier when you can get into the routine and practice nursing right away
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @puddlewonderful I had delayed milk with my first but no issues with my second! I also had a C/S with the first and a VBAC with the second and 'they' say that can be a contributor. I had a 3 month gap between DS weaning and DD1's birth (holy crap I didn't realize it was that close until I wrote that out...). This time I'll have a 5 month gap and I'm already leaking colostrum... If you had little issues feeding your first, chances are you're body will figure out what's going on right quick with this one.

CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • This is such a helpful thread, thank you for starting this @Dumbgurl04!
    @sparklingdiamond I'm sorry you had to go through that at work.. I can't believe how difficult it is for women to get time to pump. In my mind, it shouldn't be something that others can dictate. When I was student teaching, I worked with a teacher who had to go in a tiny closet basically to pump and if I wasn't there, I'm not even sure who would have watched the class for the short period of time she was away. 

Has anyone used donor milk before? I know I had (still have) a lot of stomach (lactose intolerance) and skin issues when I was little so I wanted to look into other options in addition to formulas made for sensitive stomachs. Any insight would be great about donor milk or formulas made for sensitive stomachs, in preparation if LO does have some issues. I will definitely be following along with this thread.. it's so helpful and I'm thankful for everyone sharing their past experiences!
  • @dan0081 I'm in a support group for working breastfeeding moms and almost universally teachers and nurses get screwed because of their schedules and inability to have someone cover for them while they take breaks.

CafeMom Tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ladythrice I could totally see that being a huge issue having experience in both settings. I can sense the difficulty it would be to find someone even willing to watch over your classroom/patients while you pump and on the flip side, I could see how it would be challenging if you were the person asked to watch someone else's class/patients. There has to be a better way because I feel like women are essentially punished or at least put in a really challenging position (like having to ask people to cover them) for pumping at work.. It just seems crazy to me.
  • @ngolimento That is so awesome that you were able to be a donor! I always wanted to do that, but I reall only produced enough for DS.
  • dan0081dan0081 member
    edited December 2017
    @ngolimento Thank you.. that's extremely helpful to hear and amazing that you are a certified donor. What a gift to others! I didn't realize the no caffeine and drinking part of being a donor. I bet your milk was liquid gold.. avoiding all dairy products is extremely challenging. We will just have to see how LO does, but it's so helpful to hear your insight in case we do need a sensitive formula or donor milk. :) 

Edited to add: I had read that lactose intolerance is rare in infants, and I certainly don't think I had that when I was a newborn. I just know as I got older, all the dairy products would create so many issues for me. I miss cheese and ice cream so much.. especially now that I'm pregnant!  :D
  • @dan0081 we were able to utilize donor milk with DS as he had a slightly longer Hospital stay than normal, and was in the special care nursery (level below NICU). Because my milk didn’t come in during that hospital stay, he qualified for donor milk and that was great. Unfortunately the standards — in my hospital, at least — are pretty rigid for which babies qualify. When DD was born it also took forever for my milk to come in, but since she was a typical, healthy baby, they couldn’t offer us donor milk. I was disappointed but it wasn’t the end if the world, I was totally fine using formula. 
  • @kmalls That's so interesting to hear about the standards in place for donor milk. I figured if you wanted to use donor milk, you'd be able to (although I know it's quite expensive). It sounds like some of the qualifications at your hospital for donor milk is based on the baby's health and if the mother's milk has come in or not, correct? I'm certainly fine using formula if that's our option. I think with all the choices for formula it's just been a bit overwhelming to think about. :)
  • @dan0081 I guess? Honestly I don’t even understand it myself. I know DS wasn’t given donor milk immediately after birth, but after a few days it was suddenly an option. We asked for it with DD and they said they wished they could, but since she’s a healthy newborn she didn’t qualify. I didn’t really ask any more questions! 
  • kmalls said:
    @dan0081 we were able to utilize donor milk with DS as he had a slightly longer Hospital stay than normal, and was in the special care nursery (level below NICU). Because my milk didn’t come in during that hospital stay, he qualified for donor milk and that was great. Unfortunately the standards — in my hospital, at least — are pretty rigid for which babies qualify. When DD was born it also took forever for my milk to come in, but since she was a typical, healthy baby, they couldn’t offer us donor milk. I was disappointed but it wasn’t the end if the world, I was totally fine using formula. 
    I think the problem of getting donor milk through hospitals is that the demand is bigger than the supply.  NICU is first in line, then babies with special but not critical needs (jaundice).  The standards the donors are kept to are very high, so a lot of milk isn't even able to be donated.  At about 6 months I couldn't operate on no caffeine any longer since my baby sucked at sleeping, so I stopped donating to the hospital and just donated to my local mother's group.

I personally don't know the standards of services that sell milk, since I didn't want to make people pay  for something like that.  They might be more lax.
    BabyFetus Ticker