Baby Names

Mason? Luke? Or Henry?

Sunshine81112Sunshine81112 member
edited December 2017 in Baby Names
This is such a tough decision his edd is coming up and I’m torn by these names. My favorite name from as far back as I can remember is Mason. Regaurdless of popularity I have always awed over this name, and I can remember exact moments that stand out on loving this name way back when.  Luke is my husbands pic, but not Lucas. It just doesn’t really give me that bubbly feeling, and I’m not sure why. Henry has this cute appeal that always has my heart and I could see why so many love this name. DH does like it, but everyone insists they will just call him Hank, which is fine-meaning My inlaws so it kinda pissed me off to be honest. Why can’t we just call him what we name him!? My daughter Anna has been Annie from her birth dispite what I say so now 4 years later it is basically her name.  
Anna, and Wyatt. So what do you think?
 Mason, Luke, or Henry? 
Any advice is welcome! 

Re: Mason? Luke? Or Henry?

• I like Henry best but it sounds like you are in love with Mason.  If you can get your husband on board I think you will not regret it despite popularity because you have loved it so long.
  • My vote is Mason. It obviously is a very special name to you. It also goes well with your other kids names. 

I prefer Lucas over Luke. Luke to me is a nickname. I don’t dislike it, but I think he’ll have to correct people and clarify that his name is just Luke. That might get annoying.

Henry is nice too, but you don’t seem sold on it, so I would just eliminate it. 

Go for Mason. It’s a great name. I think you might regret it if you pass on a chance to use it. 

• Loading the player...
  • Go for Mason. It’s a great name. I think you might regret it if you pass on a chance to use it. 

This 100%.  It sounds like you know in your heart that this name is the right one.  And if your husband is on board with it too, then there is no reason not to use it.

• My vote is for Mason. I wouldn’t worry about popularity if you love it that much.

I have seen Luke used as a stand alone name and it doesn’t seem odd to me. I would mark Henry off the list. I think it sucks people call your kids by nicknames you don’t like, but I guess what can you do so I would avoid Henry. 
  • If you really love Mason and your H is okay with it, that sounds like the logical choice.  On the other hand, both Luke and Henry are great names as well that -- to me anyway -- have the same flavor as Mason and go well with your other children's names.  If you wind up compromising and naming him Luke or Henry, they're both great names!

My $.02 on the diminutive name thing:  I have a son named Timothy.  In our immediate family we refer to him as Timothy or Tim.  His dad, sister, and I never call him Timmy.  I have in laws who used to refer to him as Timmy when he was little.  As soon as he was old enough to assert himself, he gently began to correct these family members either by ignoring it when they would use it to call him over or by saying "People don't call me Timmy anymore -- that's a little kid name."  If you want your daughter to be called Anna, don't refer to her as Annie yourselves at home or in front of those in laws.  If you don't call her Annie, and she doesn't refer to herself as Annie, the problem will eventually correct itself!

If you name the new baby Henry and people refer to him as Hank, just politely say, "Oh, we aren't going to use that nickname.  He's just going to go by Henry."  Persist until they give up.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • I like Henry best. 
  • If you love Mason, go for it! I like Luke as a stand alone, and love Henry but hate hank. The potential of that nn made us cross it off the list.. 
  • Go with Mason, because you love it. I would put Luke in the mn spot. Win win Mason Luke!  (also, there are no common nn  for Mason)
  • I like Luke and Henry both a lot. Luke is a stand-alone name, and I don’t mind Hank as a nn. But it sounds like your heart is set on Mason, so I would go with that if your hubby is on board
  • I like Luke best with your other children's names. 
  • I just wish my husband liked the name Mason. Sigh, 
  • Mason. Hands down.
  • We have a Henry.  No one calls him anything other than Henry.  I absolutely adore his name.  We haven't regretted that choice for a moment!  We're having another boy very soon and we're finding it impossible to come up with a boy's name we love as much as we love Henry.  Henry is a traditional, classic, strong and handsome name.  You can't go wrong with it.  Good luck!  
    Baby girl Lila born 2013.
    Baby boy Henry born 2015.
    Expecting our capstone baby (boy) early March 2018.
  • I like Lucas or Mason the best if you are that set on Mason if go with that if you can get hubby on board. 
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• AmCheri said:
    We have a Henry.  No one calls him anything other than Henry.  I absolutely adore his name.  We haven't regretted that choice for a moment!  We're having another boy very soon and we're finding it impossible to come up with a boy's name we love as much as we love Henry.  Henry is a traditional, classic, strong and handsome name.  You can't go wrong with it.  Good luck!  
       Dean is nice with Henry
  • AmCheri said:
    We have a Henry.  No one calls him anything other than Henry.  I absolutely adore his name.  We haven't regretted that choice for a moment!  We're having another boy very soon and we're finding it impossible to come up with a boy's name we love as much as we love Henry.  Henry is a traditional, classic, strong and handsome name.  You can't go wrong with it.  Good luck!  
     ^This 100%. My DS is Henry too :) 
    Me: 38 DH:39
    TTC #2 - August 2016
    MFI
    IUI #1-3 BFN 

Heart Mom - DS 3/15/13
    BFP 4/21/18 MMC 6/11/18