1st Trimester

Choices: water birth

Hi everyone, I am in my first pregnancy 11wks. Has anyone had a water birth or considering a water birth? I would love to know about your experience. I am trying to decide between 2 hospitals and depending on which one I decide I may have to switch OB doctors. Has anyone else switched OB doctors during pregnancy? Thank you.

Re: Choices: water birth

• *one hospital offers water birth the other does not 
  • considering this is the 1st tri board you may not get a ton of answers. id tri 3rd tri 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Loading the player...
  • I wanted one because I'd had friends who really liked it, and I'd heard good things about it easing the pain and helping you stretch so you don't tear. 

I labored in the tub for an hour or two, and at the end, I was so uncomfortable. I was tired of crouching and kneeling, and I wanted out. I ended up having her on a birthing stool, which I really liked. I think I would have liked a water birth better if I could be in an actual pool, standing up with the water up to my waist or chest.
  • https://www.skepticalob.com/2010/05/waterbirth-fatalities.html

Water births carry their own set of risks. I'd make sure you're fully informed before choosing one. 
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • https://www.skepticalob.com/2010/05/waterbirth-fatalities.html

Water births carry their own set of risks. I'd make sure you're fully informed before choosing one. 
    I was going to mention something like this, but didn’t have time to substantiate anything. The hospital I gave birth at didn’t offer birthing tubs, despite being a very holistic friendly hospital, because they couldn’t keep properly sanitized during delivery.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I'm a midwife and about half of our clients give birth in the tub. Most love it for pain relief and there's some evidence it reduces tearing. A few don't love it but the nice thing is you can always get out of the tub. 

Skeptical ob is a quack who doesn't even practice obstetrics. She conveniently ignores well done research or misinterprets it. 

However safety is important. Healthy babies don't take their first breath until they touch air so if there is any concern about well being, water birth may not be safe (although water labor is). The case studies where babies died after water birth occurred in an unsanitized outdoor hot tub and stale water being left for 3+ days. The cleanest tubs are the specifically made birth tubs with liners and I would hope that hospitals bleach their built in tubs. And also, don't leave the water for 3 days. I'm practice, we change it after 6 hours at most or anytime it gets too cold.

Be well informed. Evidencebasedbirth.com is a great resource. Cheers
  • callthemw said:
    I'm a midwife and about half of our clients give birth in the tub. Most love it for pain relief and there's some evidence it reduces tearing. A few don't love it but the nice thing is you can always get out of the tub. 

Skeptical ob is a quack who doesn't even practice obstetrics. She conveniently ignores well done research or misinterprets it. 

However safety is important. Healthy babies don't take their first breath until they touch air so if there is any concern about well being, water birth may not be safe (although water labor is). The case studies where babies died after water birth occurred in an unsanitized outdoor hot tub and stale water being left for 3+ days. The cleanest tubs are the specifically made birth tubs with liners and I would hope that hospitals bleach their built in tubs. And also, don't leave the water for 3 days. I'm practice, we change it after 6 hours at most or anytime it gets too cold.

Be well informed. Evidencebasedbirth.com is a great resource. Cheers
    Bahahahaha 

Are the CDC quacks too? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/to-your-health/wp/2017/06/08/infants-born-in-water-births-at-risk-of-legionnaires-disease-cdc-says/?utm_term=.380b1277c994

• Lol the fact that you think evidencebasedbirth is a quality source tells me all I need to know about your critical thinking skills. I'll leave you to your delusions. 

• im with @comealongponds on this one 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• I have had 3 hospital births. Two were pleasant my 3rd was horrific. With our 4th I had a water birth and it was so nice not be hooked to machines, people constantly checking me, and not being able to move. To deliver at birth center there are strict guidelines as to they allow to birth at the center. We will hopefully be having our 5th at a birth center. 
  • I wanted to try an water birth with this baby it is my third pregnancy.. I died on the hospital table twice with my first two deliverys..
  • Hi, pregnant with my third here.  My first I laboured in the water but birthed on the bed.  My second I laboured AND birthed in the water (also, hot showers are pretty great for laboring in, though I felt unstable and slippery).  For my third I definitely want to birth in the water again.

Do you usually find relief in baths though?  I am nuts for baths, especially when my belly is big and tight late in pregnancy, so it is so relaxing for me to be in the water.  
    About me: Daughter turns 4 in Feb 2016... second baby due in mid-Jan 2016!   
  • I have a friend who has two healthy baby after their water births. I thought she was very strong to do that without any meds; I'm more than likely sticking with any medication they'll give me. She seemed very comfortable with the hospital that has all the equipment for a water birth. If you can, you should get local reviews from that hospital. Good luck!