May 2018 Moms

Boy Clothes

Hey all! 

I just found out last night, it’s a boy! I was raised with all sisters and all my close friends have girls, so having a boy is completely new to me! Anyone have any good places to buy cute, unique boys clothing? 

Re: Boy Clothes

• Targets brand Cat and Jack has cute boy clothes. Zulily always has great finds as well. 
  • holli0801holli0801 member
    edited December 2017
    I second Cat and Jack. Old navy and H&M also have really affordable and adorable clothes. Also, Rosie Pope, Kick Kee and Burt’s bees... More pricey, but can find good deals. Etsy for special occasions. Wire and Honey online for graphic/pop culture tees... 
    I loved Mustache pacifers and the little drool bibs for boys are so cute! And converse when walking!  
    ETA H&M sizes are so weird when they get bigger, but in infant clothes they were pretty typical sizes... I liked Carters for early stages as well, but started to fit weird when he got older, too..

• Loading the player...
  • I love Carter’s and it’s still my go to brand in toddler sizing. Cat and Jack are ok on occasion, but nms most of the time. Gerber and Gymboree fit super weird, so I’d skip them if I could go back.
  • I second Carter's, the fit is usually right on, there were a few outfits that definitely ran small but we've had good luck and you can't beat the sales. 
    This babe is a girl, but we still plan to use a lot of what we have saved from DS. 
  • We have done a lot of Target, and Old Navy once they got a little older. I try to shop a season off, so I get most things on clearance. I got some great summer stuff a little while ago- I just buy it a size or two up and store it until the proper season. We also do a lot of secondhand stores, especially when they're little and the clothes have only been worn once or twice. As they've gotten into toddler and up sizing the clothes get distinctly more worn and harder to find. 
  • I have a lot of Carters clothes for DS. I agree that they were better when he was younger. I still like their shirts and pjs, but I like Gymboree because their pants are adjustable waist and DS is skinny!

Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I also used Carter's for DS. They wear really well, especially of you plan on keeping the items for more LOs in the future. I avoid Gerber as well because they do fit super weird, even on DS cause he's on the skinny side. Can't remember what brand Wal-Mart clothes are but I tried those out too and the shrunk an unbelievable amount in the wash over time. 
  • Dont forget to check out used children’s clothing stores! I consistently find clothes that have barely been used or even sometimes clothes with the tags still on. This is especially true for dressy outfits. 
  • Oh I forgot to mention primary. They are more expensive than other brands, but I love the quality of their fabric. It’s also nice to not have your kid constantly wearing a phrase or a picture. The onesies hold up extremely well, and are super soft, and the t shirts are great too. 
  • mmb4532mmb4532 member
    edited December 2017
    :)@meggles816 and @ivyvines6

Yes! I’m not partial to the shirts with sayings and characters. I’m more of a basics person..I also hate boys athletic wear that has phrases like “Go the Distance” or “Our Time”....Thanks for all your help!  :) 
  • Ohh I forgot about Old Navy and Zara. There isn’t a Zara near me but I have family in nyc that sends the best  clothes. Babies r us has cute dress clothes -just wait for a coupon or sale. 
  • I have bought ALL of my baby clothes at Goodwill,Savers, and Once Upon a Child. For me, consignment is the way to go but it's not for everyone.  Also, FB marketplace always has boy clothes.  And, if you do want to buy new, baby Gap has a nice variety.
  • @gildah, I don't like them either.  I have only bought a couple and the others that DS has were bought for him.  I'm a teacher and I REALLY dislike when kids wear shirts that say things like "My dog ate my homework" or have silly pictures about how TV/video games are life or "sorry, I wasn't listening".  Whatever if that's what you want your child to wear on the weekend, but what message are you sending to your child/their teacher if you send them to school in it. 

Anniversary

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I'm with @justsuzie.  Second hand for the win.  But for new stuff, Children's Place is pretty expensive, but they usually have really good sales, especially clearance stuff.  We just buy end of the season for the next size up.  

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP June 2013- blighted ovum, D&C Aug 2013
    BFP Oct 2013- twins!  A&H born May 2014
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• @gildah @JNCPro3130

Yes to both of you! I hate sayings on shirts! I agree, I’m a teacher too and hate those shirts. I  also don’t like TV character shirts. They just aren’t my style. I want to dress my son like a little adult. 
  • Kids get to a certain age though and they gravitate towards those shirts with crazy sayings, so I guess while they are young you can still have a little control. 
  • I'm ok with certain sayings for either a boy or girl. I love Daddy/Mommy. Smores are yummy. Sleepy. We are all made of stars. Those kinds of things are fine. Chicks dig me. Pretty princess. Crap like that, not fine. 

We get all the girls clothes at Target, Kohl's, and Carter's. We also check Burlington sometimes. I was planning to do the same for a boy.
  • For daycare purposes, we stock up on carters, TJ maxx stuff and clearance target! For when we want them to be a little more dressed up, I do some nicer stuff from target (I think target really has a range!) and gymboree (but I find some of their older boy stuff really hit and miss). My oldest is moving out of toddler sizes and it's depressing because the boy stuff is so boring to me. 
  • At some point I'm sure we'll have a "Clothes" thread in general of some sort, but question for STM+: 

What clothing do you need to have stocked up a bit before baby comes? I'm confused by how many of each size, and also what sleeve length and such, since May is pretty transitional weather over here and it could still be kinda cold or it could be 80 degrees. Should I just wait til the last minute and at least see what the weather's doing? Guess I can't really predict the baby's size or how long he'll stay that way...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @abhphilly I'm guessing you're from philly! I'm from pittsburgh and had an april baby. I mostly stuck to short sleeve stuff with pants for the nb and 0 month sizes and then got more shorts and such in slightly bigger. Newborn brands run so much more all over the place than bigger kid/toddler so it's really hard to know until you have the kid and see how much/fast he/she is growing. I would stock up on lots of sleepers that zip! That's critical at the beginning. And stuff with layers (or have little sweaters and jackets handy) 
  • @abhphilly Onesies.  Lots and lots of onesies.  Short sleeve, long sleeve, the little cross over jacket style ones....lots of onesies.  And pjs.  May really is a very transitional month, so I would get a little bit of everything, because even if you're due in later May, the nights can still be pretty chilly.  As far as sizing, I would wait until closer to your due date, they normally do some more ultrasounds and can give you a *pretty* good idea (within a pound or so) of how big baby will be, and that will give you an idea of how much newborn to stock up on, or if you should skip and go straight to 0-3 months.  

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• @abhphilly, DS was born in March and that is our up and down weather.  I bought pretty much all long sleeve sleepers since babies tend to be cold anyway.  I did have some outfits that were short sleeves, but had little jackets so we could layer.  I think this time around, since it will be may and close to summer/hot weather, I will definitely do light layers.  I'm probably going to be wearing LO a lot since I'll be chasing DS around.  

Anniversary

BabyFetus Ticker
  • FWIW, we don't buy anything for baby before birth. With my first daughter, i think MIL came to the hospital with a onesie to take her home bc and i guess a jacket or something. We got presents pretty quickly so just wore what fit and was able to exchange stuff. I wouldn't get lots ofnewborn clothes either way. The 0-3 month might be baggy at first, but it'll work. The newborn really is hit or miss. I think Gerber ran very small.
  • Very good point, @nanifrog!  Different brands fit very differently, some are designed more for short, roly poly babies and some are better suited for longer, skinnier babies.  I want to say Carter's ran a little on the big side, and Gerber does run small, does that sound right to other STM+?  We actually had to have people run out and buy Preemie clothes for our twins, they came about 5 weeks early and even some of the preemie stuff was too big, depending on the brand!  So we did use a lot of our newborn clothes.  But they grow out of sizes so quickly in the beginning that it doesn't make a huge difference.  It was such a relief when they got to 18 mos/2T and I could keep the same size in their dresser for more than one season LOL  For me personally, they were in onesies and pjs for most of the time the first few months anyway, unless we were going out and I wanted to show them off  :) so I would definitely buy more of those than you think you'll need.

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• All our gerber onesies are used for doll clothes. They are tiny! 
    I usually put newborns in long sleeve sleepers with cuffs that you can tuck their hands in, otherwise they scratch their faces. My smallest baby was almost 8 pounds, so I always buy 0-3 month clothes. I don’t actually think I’ve ever used newborn size. If you or your SO are particularly tall, I would buy newborn size sparingly. 
  • @sandbar517 yep on the gerber running small, i also thought the overall quality of gerber was inferior.  

@abhphilly DS was 7 lbs even when he was born and he fit into newborn clothes for maybe 2-3 weeks then we moved up.  I loved the snap front foldover shirts when he was first born it made dressing him a little easier with the umbilical cord stump care. They have them in both short sleeve and long sleeve. 
    https://www.carters.com/s/Carters/carters-baby-boy-sale-bodysuits-5/190795475432.html?cm_mmc=ip_Carters-_-Google-_-Baby_Boy_10-14_-_-190795475432&cvosrc=cse.google.43620036187&cvo_crid=186507589861&cvo_cid=778407025&scid=scplp190795475432&sc_intid=190795475432&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&gclid=CjwKCAiAjuPRBRBxEiwAeQ2QPjjK21A9VZHxFvbOTGLFwP6jW9_IaLJcvfFfmT-Cn5-Ex2wmaCxT1hoCqC4QAvD_BwE
    He also lived in sleepers for the first few months.  And be prepared to change them often, especially if you have a pukey baby.  

• Thanks everyone!

I get a little annoyed at Carter's because so many of their sets automatically include one onesie that says something about mommy and another that says something about daddy (we're two moms...but that's an issue with lots of stuff, like baby books and that sort of thing). I will just suck it up and focus on the solids from them though :). I love Old Navy's and Gap's stuff! It's all too wintery right now, but I'm excited to get some cute stuff when the spring lines come out.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @abhphilly same on the baby books.  You might have some luck on etsy, I know they can get a little pricey on there though.  I had the same problem because SO and I are not married and a lot of the baby books had sections about mommy and daddy's wedding.  It was pretty frustrating.  
  • I thought a lot about that when I had my girls, and went so far as to talk to one of my friends about starting a customizable baby book business.  They're getting better (maybe?) by saying My first Holiday and not necessarily My First Christmas, but they are still so "traditional" that they annoy me-All About Mom and All About Dad, etc.  I bought blue ones for my girls because I hate pink, and they say stuff about baby boy all through them.  And that got me thinking about people who aren't married, or are a same sex couple, or not Christian (or not religious at all) and how frustrating that would be.  

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• @bwow615 @sandbar517 I totally got this off topic :). What I'm planning on using is one of these 5 year diaries (https://www.amazon.com/5-Year-Diary-Blue-Cover/dp/0977648192/ref=sr_1_1). My wife and I have each written in one every night since our wedding too and it's fun to look back on. Less structured than a traditional baby book, but none of the pitfalls either.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @abhphilly That's a good plan, and it won't take a lot of time to reflect upon your day and write something small. 
    @sandbar517 you would probably be able to do really well with something like that.  There is definitely a market for all things baby and for parent's/couples looking for something that fits for them. 
  • @abhphilly That's a good idea!  I've had a hard time keeping up with my baby books anyway, so something like that might be easier for me to work with anyway.  
    @bwow615 I wish I had more knowledge of business, etc to get something like that started.  One of MH's cousin's has an etsy store for planner stickers, so maybe I could talk to her about it......

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• @sandbar517 i think a lot of it starts with having a good product!  I bet she would be a good resource.  I had an etsy shop a few years ago selling hand decorated baby blocks, i sold quite a few sets but the time commitment was too much for me.  It was a good creative outlet for me and I wish I had the time to do something like that again.  
  • I guess another option would be to do something through Shutterfly.  Put all your own stickers, pictures, and whatever information boxes you want.  I might look into that for this baby......

Me, 35 Hubs, 32
    Married June 2012
    BFP Aug 2017- EDD 5/8/17

• gildah said:
    Dont forget to check out used children’s clothing stores! I consistently find clothes that have barely been used or even sometimes clothes with the tags still on. This is especially true for dressy outfits. 
    Yes! I buy almost all of DD's clothes at consignment stores. I usually target certain brands that I know are good quality and that were initially expensive. Hanna Andersson is my fave; their boys clothes don't seem as cute as girls, but they're good quality.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • A few comments even though I have a girl:

The baby art book I have is modular and has inserts to exchange “Dad” for another Mom, make it for an adopted child, etc. lots of great modifications. If anyone is interested I will share the name. 

I find that Carters fits true to size for my DD, with Cat & Jack running small. I second the comment about buying zip up sleepers for newborns. Ain’t nobody got time for snaps. 

I also love Hannah Anderson and Janie & Jack. Pricier clothes but great for special occasions and the quality is awesome. 

I agree with not liking sayings on clothing. I avoid character clothing and words at all costs.