August 2018 Moms

Any STMs still Breastfeeding? Let’s talk!

How old is your nursling?

Do you plan to wean before the next baby comes? If so, when?

Do you plan to tandem nurse?

Any rants/raves thoughts or questions?
*Siggy Warning*
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: Any STMs still Breastfeeding? Let’s talk!

• How old is your nursling? 19 months 

Do you plan to wean before the next baby comes? If so, when? Not unless he weans himself. At least that’s my plan for now.

Do you plan to tandem nurse? If DS wants to, I’m open to it.

Any rants/raves thoughts or questions? Just a little nervous about the unknown. Will my milk dry up, will that upset DS? What is it like to nurse a newborn and toddler? I know people do it, but I think most people would think I’m crazy.
    *Siggy Warning*

• How old is your nursling? 10 months old

Do you plan to wean before the next baby comes? If so, when? Not sure yet. I know it's considered safe for at least 24 weeks, will probably get my OB's opinion on it for after that point. I would love to nurse right through.

Do you plan to tandem nurse? If DD is still interested, yes

Any rants/raves thoughts or questions? I'm a bit concerned about the hormones causing contractions or early labor, but really value the time I have with nursing DD. Guess I'll get Dr's opinion and go from there when we get to that point. Also my supply keeps taking one hit after another lately. If I end up with MS as bad as last time I don't think my body will sustain it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @mrslittlemac as far as I’ve heard, it’s perfectly safe all the way through in a low risk, uncomplicated pregancy. Definitely ask your OB, but I would get the advice of a IBCLC as well. 

The way my DS nurses, I think he would just dry nurse until my supply came back, but I can’t be sure, of course.
    *Siggy Warning*

• How old is your nursling? 2.5

Do you plan to wean before the next baby comes? If so, when? Yes... not sure but I’m getting kinda over it. I didn’t want to wean earlier after a loss, sorts selfish but god forbid I couldn’t get pg again I didn’t want all of it to be over.  And I’ve been nursing in the start of every pregnancy so I like that I can say I’ve been nursing and or pregnant for a ridiculous length of time.
    but... he’s 2.5 and it’s gettjng old. Maybe after winter (sicknesses)

Do you plan to tandem nurse? No

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Nursing during pg is only dangerous when you have a history of preterm labor, it’s rare that nursing is an issue. If you start noticing contractions while nursing you might consider weaning. 

My 1&2 both nursed dry. My oldest self weaned a month before brother was born. My second was mostly done when baby cane but he nursed occasionally for a good 3-4 months. 

My sister tandem nursed for like a year 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• How old is your nursling? 10 months

Do you plan to wean before the next baby comes? If so, when? I do hope to wean before baby #2, but I'm not sure when yet. Sadly, I'm already kind of 'over it' with nursing, and feel like tandem nursing would just be so much time that I don't have my body to myself. 

Do you plan to tandem nurse? I would rather not, just because I feel like that will consume so much time! But who knows. 

Any rants/raves thoughts or questions? Hmmmm any advice on how/when to wean?
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • How old is your nursling? 10m

Do you plan to wean before the next baby comes? If so, when? Yes, ideally by a year unless ms kicks my butt again then it might be sooner.

Do you plan to tandem nurse? Nope, my little man practically dances around while nursing so I think he'd squish/hit his new sibling.

Any rants/raves thoughts or questions? Would also love weaning advice....
  • How old is your nursling? 22 months

Not planning on weaning and would consider dry nursing if I dry up. It's just a comfort for her and id love her to self wean.

Considering trying tandom nursing once the new lo is bigger. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @laufisch obviously it’s your choice, but I didn’t really notice a significant drop in nursing until DS was closer to 15 months. So if 12 months isn’t successful for you, that might be an easier time. But I never introduced cows milk or anything, either.
    *Siggy Warning*

• @lalala2004 that's good to know. We'll give it a go at a year and see how it works, if he really resists we'll try at 15m :)
  • I am not still nursing, DS self weaned over the summer when he was about 14/15 mo but I do still produce tiny drops. I plan to nurse again this time around. Has anyone here ever collected colostrum before birth or is anyone thinking of doing it this time? 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ecwk said:
    I am not still nursing, DS self weaned over the summer when he was about 14/15 mo but I do still produce tiny drops. I plan to nurse again this time around. Has anyone here ever collected colostrum before birth or is anyone thinking of doing it this time? 
    Not necessarily colostrum, but DS never drinks from a bottle now, so if my supply lasts and I end up pumping for some reason I may have some milk that I could potentially use for this baby. For instance, in March we will probably go away overnight for our anniversary and I might need to pump once or twice due to engorgement (again, that’s if my supply lasts!) or we may end up taking a little baby moon. So we’ll see. 

That is is something to consider, though, because I hear that there is a limited supply of colostrum before your milk comes in, so if you are tandem nursing you have to make sure the new baby gets enough. That makes me nervous, so maybe pumping a little before birth would make me feel better having some extra just in case.
    *Siggy Warning*

• @lalala2004 that's a great idea and would surely give you peace of mind in the event you do end up tandem nursing. I really want to look into the colostrum gathering because we had to supplement in the hospital with some formula because of a rough start to BFing so I would rather avoid that this time! 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Saving colostrum worked really well for us last time! I pumped starting around week 37 with my daughter, mostly to get familiar with the pump and I thought I could get my breasts to "toughen up" a bit before birth. While my OB was aware and didn't take issue with it, one of the nurses in the hospital seemed pretty disapproving. She briskly told me that it's a form of induction and can be dangerous to the baby. That's why I had put so much stock in the "dangerous after 24 weeks" theory. Now after investing more time into researching the topic I feel more comfortable with nursing straight through, but still want OB's opinion. FTR I was like 40+5 when I went into labor but it definitely did cause contractions for the couple weeks leading up to it.
  • How old is your nursling? 22 months

Do you plan to wean before the next baby comes? If so, when? Yes- want to get through winter, and then plan to wean.  He will go to bed without nursing when I’m not around, so it shouldn’t be too hard.

Do you plan to tandem nurse?  No.  I had a very traumatic breastfeeding experience for about the first year of DS’s life- abscess, multiple bouts of mastitis and a massive oversupply, so I want to focus on one at a time.  Life can change things, though.  We’ll see.

Any rants/raves thoughts or questions?  Nope!
  • @dustergrl wow, you’re amazing for sticking with it after all of that. Mastitis is a bitch.
    *Siggy Warning*

• @lalala2004 Yeah, it wasn’t easy.  I had an abscess that had to be surgically drained and I was in the hospital for 2 days when DS was 3 weeks old.  My milk came in late, but when it came in I was producing an extra 12-20 ounces per day!  I’m hoping I can regulate things better this time.
  • @dustergrl yikes. I hate it when people say “Why is oversupply a problem?” Your case is exactly why! Hopefully you’ll have an easier time knowing what you know now. I’m hoping it’s a little easier for me this time around, too. The first few weeks were pretty painful.
    *Siggy Warning*

• How old is your nursling?

I hope so 

I’m hoping DD weans

boob soreness has picked up. Ouch. DD only nurses from the left though. 
  • ecwk said:
    I am not still nursing, DS self weaned over the summer when he was about 14/15 mo but I do still produce tiny drops. I plan to nurse again this time around. Has anyone here ever collected colostrum before birth or is anyone thinking of doing it this time? 
    I started pumping in hopes to kick start labor when I went post dates with my first. I did freeze what I got. It was only .5-1oz at a time. 
  • How old is your nursling? 2.5 but she only nurses in the mornings so I can get some extra shut eye

Hopefully she will be done but she only nurses once in the morning so not too concerned

Do you plan to tandem nurse? No

• My nursing is 11 months and a massive milk monster
    I don't plan to wean. I have heard that some baby's self wean because of the milk tasting different and a drop in supply. I am not ruling it out if I find it difficult to cope though.
    I would consider tandem nursing if that's what she seems to want and I can keep up with the new born.
    My daughter is allergic to cows milk soy milk and eggs so I'm not eating any of them. I'm a touch concerned about nutrient levels. Especially if my morning sickness is as bad as last time. I couldn't keep vitamins or food down. Eek 
  • @xinran you are a Rockstar for giving all that up. I don’t know if I could do it! Hopefully you will get lucky and not have morning sickness.
    *Siggy Warning*

• Definitely not a rockstar. More just stubborn ;) I harvested colostrum last time. But only for the last couple of weeks as the breastfeeding consultant I saw said the consultants do not like you doing it before then because of possible early labour. But honestly it had no effects that I felt so I don't think I'd be concerned again. I didn't think colostrum was limited in amount either from what I was told. I collected a fair amount and froze it. Taking it to hospital with me. 
  • How old is your nursling? 17mo

Do you plan to wean before the next baby comes? If so, when? Yes, night wean asap and full either when it's naturally happening or by third tri. 

Do you plan to tandem nurse? Maybe

@lalala2004 my first two babies were born 18 months apart and I tandem nursed them. When I was pregnant milk dried up a bit in third tri and my first almost weaned herself. Once my milk came in I tandem fed them for a little over 6 months. The main issue I had during the beginning was regulating supply. Baby1 would want to nurse at the same time as Baby2 but it was kind of random. I had engorgement issues for way longer than my first time. I would recommend trying to get into a schedule with nursing the toddler as much as schedules are possible with little humans. I had to wean the toddler when it was getting overwhelming for me, but the oldest was over 2yo by that point so we were all ok with it. I'm glad I tandemed with them, as I think they bonded more as siblings because of it and my older got to nurse longer. As stated above though, still waiting to see how things go this time because baby3 will be 2y1mo. We will see though because I might keep her Morning and after nap feeding if I can. Baby 2 and 3 were 2y3mo apart and I purposely weaned before birth. Not doing tandem for 2 and 3 was certainly less strenuous for me, but my 2nd is a little more needy in other ways it seems because she sees her little sister nursing. They fight over me a lot more, whereas the first and second would each just get a boob lol. Sorry for the long post, but I've been wanting to write you since lurking from TTGP! Let me know if you have any questions. 

@laufisch For weaning, it helps if dad is involved as much as possible. If you do dairy, you can heat up milk and add a tiny bit of honey and a pinch of salt for a special drink for them to have before bed if that is when they want it the most. Otherwise offering snacks and lots of water throughout the day. Wearing them in carriers helps too as long as you don't place them right at nursing level.

@ecwk Interesting thoughts about the colostrum. Let us know if you end up doing that. 

@dustergrl Sorry about your tough time BF, hope it goes smoother for you this time. 

@hotairballoons99 My current baby only nurses from the left now too! Totally my fault as that is the more convenient side for me, but my boobs are lopsided now! This didn't happen with any of my others, but I was probably more diligent about switching sides. 

@cwagner86 2.5 years good for you. A morning feed should be easy to keep or wean, whatever ends up working :)

@xinran that must be so hard with all the dietary issues, and not really being able to give her a substitute drink. Hopefully her allergies get better, not sure if that's possible in your case.

TTGP December Siggy Challenge: Favourite Holiday Movie Moment

• @matryoshkadoll I’m so glad you’ve BTDT! I never turn down a nursing session, but he is mostly just nights and naps, so I’m hoping frequency doesn’t increase. I’ve heard of people having a special box of toys for their toddler to play with while nursing their infant, so I may try that out to avoid him wanting to nurse every time the new baby does. 
    *Siggy Warning*

• @matryoshkadoll that is an amazingly helpful post. I don't know anyone who has tandem nurse and perspective from someone who has been there is really useful.
  • Not nursing any more, but just coming here to say you Mamas are awesome!  I stopped at a little after 11M.  My supply really dwindled away.  The good news is I feared those moments when I wouldn't be able to give him what he wanted, but he has never missed it that I can tell. 
  • edited December 2017
    How old is your nursling?
    17 months

No, but I hope she cuts back some because I just can’t imagine how I’ll keep up. 

I’m not going to deny her but I’m not sure if I’d offer. I have to see how it goes. 

I’m just wondering if anyone can share their experiences if they’ve nursed through pregnancy and beyond, emotions, logistics, etc. 
    Also, I know it’s so early but I’m nervous to leave DD while I’m at the hospital. I’m trying to night wean but she needs DH and me in the middle of the night for comfort. 
  • The hospital bit is a good point. I'm sorry I have no experience to share.
    Has anyone noticed any change in their lo's? Mine seems to be dreaming more (really active dreams) very odd.
  • @mommymommymommyhi We are working on that, too. I’m thinking we are going to have some monthly practice runs of my DS staying over at my parent’s house starting in March. That’ll be our anniversary and I know we want to do a night away then. Hopefully he’ll be sleeping better on his own, then. Even now he is doing better about not always nursing right to sleep. He’ll nurse for a bit, break off and wiggle around until he’s asleep (he’s in a twin floor bed, now). That’s a pretty recent development, so I know we'll get there!
    *Siggy Warning*

• @mommymommymommyhi We are working on that, too. I’m thinking we are going to have some monthly practice runs of my DS staying over at my parent’s house starting in March. That’ll be our anniversary and I know we want to do a night away then. Hopefully he’ll be sleeping better on his own, then. Even now he is doing better about not always nursing right to sleep. He’ll nurse for a bit, break off and wiggle around until he’s asleep (he’s in a twin floor bed, now). That’s a pretty recent development, so I know we'll get there!
    Haha we are picking up the twin mattress this week and the floor bed is being made and coming in a few weeks! Guess we’re on the same exact page! I’ll have to try a practice night, too!
  • My toddler has been super clingy esp at night. Gone from totally sttn to waking 2-3 Times most night and needing “mommmmmmyyyyyyy”

could be untelated or could be related, no clue. I’m feeling a bit over it now, some adversion kicking. I was thinking to nurse through cold and flu season before weaning but we’ll see. 

@mommymommymommyhi I’ll bet at that age it may not be as bad as you think... kinda like how mynutslings always go to bed just fine for sitters but for me it’s a loooong nursing stretch. 

Or it’ll be a s-show in which case... it’s be ok too. He will survive and so will his caretaker. One of many reason I prefer not to stay at the hospital longer than required (24hrs).

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• @pghctwife I feel the same way about being in the hospital. I don’t really want to stay the full two days if I can avoid it. After the first night I was ready to go home. Can’t get much sleep, uncomfortable bed. It’s nice being able to lounge around, but home is better, and missing DS will have me wanting to get out of there even more, I’m sure. I’m going to do what I can to get out of there ASAP.
    *Siggy Warning*

• pghctwife said:
    My toddler has been super clingy esp at night. Gone from totally sttn to waking 2-3 Times most night and needing “mommmmmmyyyyyyy”

could be untelated or could be related, no clue. I’m feeling a bit over it now, some adversion kicking. I was thinking to nurse through cold and flu season before weaning but we’ll see. 

@mommymommymommyhi I’ll bet at that age it may not be as bad as you think... kinda like how mynutslings always go to bed just fine for sitters but for me it’s a loooong nursing stretch. 

Or it’ll be a s-show in which case... it’s be ok too. He will survive and so will his caretaker. One of many reason I prefer not to stay at the hospital longer than required (24hrs).
    Haha yeah, I will be out of the hospital as quick as you can say greased lightning!
  • Thanks @matryoshkadoll! I like the idea of him having a special drink before bed. We're starting to wean now, I don't pump during work and my husband does two bottle over the weekend but I'm worried about night time feeding.
    We're moving him to his own bed next week so I was going to use that to stop over night feedings then slowly stop breastfeeding completely.
  • LOL I’ll don’t know what the bump autocorrect is smoking but I meant my nurslings not nutslings

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• ha.... auto correct fail.....nutslings is hilarious though
  • Ok resurrecting the thread. I was just wondering how everyone's doing. 
    Has anyone weaned or cut down?
    Is anyone finding their supply has changed yet?
    How you all coping with symptoms and breastfeeding? 
  • My supply is down a bit when I'm pumping, but she doesn't complain on weekends when we just nurse, so I guess she's getting more than the pump is.  I'm considering changing one of her bottles over to formula in the next few weeks.  She's only 7 months and i want my stash to last a year so she's getting at least some BM every day.  I nurse her before bed every night and the days I work from home I nurse in the mornings, but she takes 2-3 6 ounce bottles at daycare and I'm about one short when pumping now (i am 9 weeks today).  I know it will get worse so I want to start supplementing soon.  I feel super guilty about it, DD1 never had a drop of formula and nursed for 18 months and I feel bad that DD2 won't get the same treatment.  But I also don't want her to starve, so formula it is.  She has started solids too so her needs should begin decreasing as my supply gets worse.  I plan to quit pumping when she turns 1 (which coincides with 3rd tri for me) and just nurse her before bed while giving cow's milk during the day at that point.