Infertility

Unexplained Infertility/Endometriosis

Hi! I was diagnosed with stage 1 endometriosis after a lap surgery in August 2017. The surgery came after 6 failed IUI’s. Post lap surgery I’ve had 2 more unsuccessful IUI’s. Our RE suggested we try 3 IUI’s after my lap surgery and then consider IVF, but I’m wondering if I should even bother with a 3rd IUI. Has anyone had success conceiving after their lap surgeries? Are there any supplements anyone suggests to better my chances at conceiving? In 2016 we were diagnosed with ‘unexplained infertility’ after all of our extensive testing cake back “normal.” I’m not in a position to do IVF anytime soon so I am trying to devise a plan. Any advice/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance! 

Re: Unexplained Infertility/Endometriosis

• @hopefuljourney6 our stories are very similar. We were unexplained and had three failed IUIs before I got diagnosed with stage 1 endometriosis after a lap in September. We had two more failed IUIs after that and are now moving on to IVF. From what my doctor has said and research I’ve done online, even if they remove the endo there could still be some beneath the surface that they can’t see and it can secrete chemicals that prevent sperm and egg from meeting and fertilizing. As far as supplements the only thing I can tell you is to try reading It Starts With the Egg which has a lot of information about improving egg quality with supplements and lifestyle changes. 
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• @ShellShockedMama Thank you so much for sharing your story! Very interesting, as I’ve never heard of that. I can’t help but to think that’s what is happening. We have been TTC for 2+ years without any success. Thank you for the recommendation. I will definitely check that book out. Wishing you the best with your IVF process! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @hopefuljourney6 I can relate to your journey, we had 6 failed IUI's before I had a lap and some endometriosis removed. We had 2 natural + 1 IUI cycles after the lap (all unsuccessful). At that point we moved on to mini IVF (We also have MFI). I know this doesn't help as far as continuing with IUI's but we were glad we did IVF.

*TW*

Mini IVF worked for us. And it was less expensive than the standard IVF, just FYI

I also HIGHLY recommend reading It Starts With The Egg, I followed the supplement recommendations for IVF and I believe it helped a lot. 
    There is hope! Hang in there.

Me 34 DH 36 Married since July 2010 
    MFI (High DNA Fragmentation) & Mild endometriosis
    TTC #1 since June 2015 
    Aug 2016 - May 2017  6 IUI's with letrozole - BFN
    April 2017 - laparoscopy to remove mild endo
    June 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU - Cancelled early ovulation, no eggs retrieved. 
    Aug/Sept 2017 - Mini IVF letrozole 12.5mg, Gonal-F 75IU, cetrotide - 13 eggs retrieved, 11 mature
    5 eggs ICSI'd 6 eggs frozen - 1 day 5 blast transfered, 2 expanded blast frozen - BFP!
    May 2018 - Baby girl born - Our Joy

TTC #2 since July 2019
    July 2019 - FET - BFN
    Jan 2020 - FET - canceled due to family health issues
    Mar 2020 - FET - low beta - chemical pregnancy
    July 2020 - ICSI'd remaining 6 eggs - 3 fertilized - 2 survived to early blast stage, transfered both - Chemical Pregnancy