November 2017 Moms

Breast feeding

How is it going?
Any struggles lately? 
Any wins?!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Breast feeding

• I cut out dairy two weeks ago and I think we are finally seeing some difference with baby and the tummy troubles. My boobs are so much better,  engorgement is so horrible so now that my supply has leveled out baby is eating better. 
    My right side gets really sore sometimes and it's hard to feed him on that side. I think his latch is shallow there for some odd reason. 

• He's gaining weight and peeing tons so that's good. The engorgement was so bad and painful but I made sure not to remover to much milk and confuse my body. The initial latch still gets me 5 weeks in,  I think he has a tongue tie but I'm not going to have it fixed because it's not interfering with him and his pedi says he's fine. 
    I'm not a private nurser, it's not my first time.  At thanksgiving I went to a room to be alone but it was more escaping people. My DH is very supportive. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We've had some rough early evenings of cluster feedings. Just nervous that I'm not producing enough or fatty enough milk. I feel pretty good that we've made it into our 6th week.  
  • Today I feel like a feeding machine. LO is cluster feeding like every hour to hour and a half she is eating for 10 plus minutes. Also she has been fussy today. It's been a long day and I am so happy DH is home from work now. .... but Overall breast feeding has been going good.
  • Cluster feeding is nothing to worry about. There are wonder weeks where babies are developing fast and eat more and they cluster feed to up your supply. My LO claret feeds at night. And sometimes they just want to pacify using the breast. 
  • Overall it's going well! LO is gaining a ton of weight - 3 lbs in just under 3 weeks! He's now 9lbs 9 oz. he's BFing well and taking his 2 bottles a day just fine. He cluster feeds in the evening which is fine by me because I think it helps him go a little longer between feeds overnight.
    I have gotten mastitis 3 times now in 6 weeks which is totally the worst. It's the sickest I've ever felt. My doctor believes the antibiotics I had previously didn't quite kill the entire infection so we are trying a different one this time. FX. I don't think I could deal with this again!
  • Oh ouch! I always worry about mastitis when my milk comes in! I hope this round of antibiotics helps you! 

• PSA: if you are eating foods to increase milk supply..... do NOT put brewers yeast in your morning oatmeal. Only eat that stuff hidden in cookies and lactation bites 
    BFP #1: 1.22.16                 MMC: 2.29.16 ( tetrasomy 11, partial deletion 1, XXX) D&C: 3.2.16
    BFP #2: 4.14.16                 CP: 4.17.16
    BFP #3: 6.10.2016             CP: 6.17.16
    RE appt: 6.27.2016- saline sono all clear
    Progenity: + carrier Tay-Sachs, Gaucher's, hemachromatosis. DH: carrier Alpha 1 anti-trypsin
    PCOS, hypothyroid, MTHFR, hx of LEEP in 2006
    Clomid + TI Cycle #1: 50mg Trigger 8.24.2016- BFN
    Clomid 75mg + IUI#1 9.25.2016- BFP #4 10/6
    Beta #1 15   Beta #2 38    Beta #3- 71     beta #4 171   Beta # 5- 21  Natural MC 10/21
    HSG- clear
    IVF Jan 2017
    Egg Retrieval 1.22.17: 32 eggs retrieved,29 mature, 24 fertilized, 14 to blastocyst for biopsy
    PGS results: 4 PGS normal 2 XX, 2 XY
    FET: 3.13.2017 for 2 PGS embryos
    Beta#1: 3.24.2017......... 78; Beta # 2 241; Beta #3 4198
    Baby BOY due 11.29.2017

• LO had his 2 week checkup today and I learned he's slowly gaining weight. He is always breastfeeding but he isn't back up to his birth weight yet, so the pediatrician recommended I start fenugreek 3 times a day to work on my supply. The lactation consultant thinks LO is too sleepy at the breast. I'm trying not to be bummed, and we go back next Tuesday for a weight check. 
  • @missrekaeagle it's so hard to not be bummed when it comes to growth and breast feeding.  It sounds like they have a plan for you though and that is the important part.  You are doing the best you can!! I struggled with those feelings as well.  It seems like there are others with sleepy feeders.  I struggled in the beginning with that.   The thing that helped me was feeding lo in only a diaper and having my husband take her and wake her up if she fell asleep.    Hang in there.  
  • I had to pump and dump today, twice! That was so hard! The first time I pumped it was 4oz I had to pour down the drain. The second time it was 6oz! I really wanted to cry! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Why did you have to dump @cwalker042?! That would make me cry!!
  • @cwalker042 but why!?!?!?
    BFP #1: 1.22.16                 MMC: 2.29.16 ( tetrasomy 11, partial deletion 1, XXX) D&C: 3.2.16
    Progenity: + carrier Tay-Sachs, Gaucher's, hemachromatosis. DH: carrier Alpha 1 anti-trypsin
    Beta #1 15   Beta #2 38    Beta #3- 71     beta #4 171   Beta # 5- 21  Natural MC 10/21
    HSG- clear
    IVF Jan 2017
    Egg Retrieval 1.22.17: 32 eggs retrieved,29 mature, 24 fertilized, 14 to blastocyst for biopsy
    Baby BOY due 11.29.2017

• I had oral surgery this morning and was given versed and fentanyl to knock me out so I pumped about 4 hours after I received the narcotics. Then a few hours later I was in immense pain so I took a Percocet and had to pump and dump again. I stood at the sink looking at the milk for a good 2-3 mins before I could dump it. It was an awful! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We broke down last night and gave DD a pacifier. We tried everything to soothe her for an hour straight and she wouldn't stop crying. As soon as the pacifier went in, she felt asleep within 2 minutes and slept for 4 hours. 

I am a bit bummed because we wanted to either not use one or wait until 4 weeks (she is 2.5 weeks), but I am so glad we got sleep last night. The night before was torture when she only slept for 20 min intervals. Our plan is to just use it at bed time and hope it doesn't affect breastfeeding. 

Anyone else EBF and introducing a pacifier?
  • @dragonfly87-2 we tried introducing the pacifier last night too. We had a similar situation with DD crying and nothing really soothing her. Unfortunately, it didn’t seem to help much. She would suck for a bit and then spit it out or she would just gag. I was really hoping it would help.

I think my LO has gas that seems to be causing her pain. She wants to nurse to soothe but it just makes it worse because then she over eats and spits up. I gave her gas drops and they help sometimes but not much last night. I’m very tired. 
  • @littlemissc17 sorry to hear to pacifier didn't work. My friend said she put some breast milk on hers and her LO took to it better. 

DD has had some gas pains too. We use drops and do bicycle kicks with her throughout the day to help ease the pain.
  • @dragonfly87-2 I never thought about putting breastmilk on it. Thanks for the suggestion! 
  • I've EBF with both DD and DS and each of them used a pacifier....Brought them to the hospital and all!

I was nervous about introducing a paci as well at first, but then a dr told me that a small piece of plastic won't ruin millions of years of evolution and breastfeeding.  Best piece of advice ever. I've never looked back since.

For my DD, they were a life saver for soothing and sleeping. At one year old, we limited them to nap/bedtime. For my DS, he uses it at times but I wouldn't say he is dependent on them. 

Good luck!
  • We use pacifiers during the day if she seems really fussy and just need to be soothed. I did use a pacifer monday night casue she was having a really fussy night but most nights I rock her to sleep on my chest for 10 minutes and then put her in her crib and she is good.
  • We use a paci frequently (have since day 1) and absolutely no issues with BFing. It's a lifesaver!
  • @dragonfly87-2 we introduced the pacifier last night, LO will be 2 weeks old on Monday. The midwife said to offer the breast first and if she has eaten for 45min+ then offering the pacifier is okay... this is to make sure she is getting enough to eat. Turns out LO prefers a finger to the pacifier, but hopefully she will get used to it.
  • How long does your little one typically feed for? At first, she would go for 15-20 minutes. Now, she averages 8-10 minutes, unlatches and either is passed out or refuses more when offered. She is gaining weight, but just curious if others experienced something similar.
  • Thanks everyone for the responses on the pacifier. 24 hours in and she seems to still be latching fine and eats, and we are going to keep just using the pacifier for sleeping. Wanting to keep our sanity and her being able to be soothed is going to win in this case :)
  • LO eats for maybe 10 minutes, he started at 15-20. He wjkl either unlatch or will start to just nibble/pacify himself.  Hunter doesn't seem to like a pacifier, I'll keep trying though. 
  • We EBF and have been using a pacifiers since two weeks old. He constantly wants to suck me he gets so mad when he can't  get his hands in there right so without the paci he gets frantic and cries a lot. No issues with latch so we will keep it going.

• My LO is a pretty efficient nurser and will actively suck for about 6-8 minutes and then stay latched and occasionally swallow for another 5-8 minutes. Then he will either sleep latched or unlatch himself.

• @dragonfly87-2 We has also planned to wait until four weeks but were losing our sanity and offered the pacifier after the pediatrician gave us the green light at our two week appointment. It’s been three days and no latch issues, though we haven’t used it much at night.

We’re experiencing a similar situation with her feeding. They were typically longer (15-25 minutes) but for the last 12 hours she’s been doing very short feedings and only taking one breast. She’s still producing enough wet diapers so I’m not concerned at the moment, but it is a big change from her typical behavior.
  • Babe typically eats for about 10 mins then just kind of comfort suckles. Although I think he's going through a growth spurt because he's been eating like crazy the last 2 days.
  • She is now nursing on average of 15-20 mins.  Sometimes, when she doesn’t fall asleep, she will suck for over 45 mins. I think it’s more for soothing though.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have one very clogged duct in my right breast. I have tried warm compresses and massage, the large knot still comes back. Anyone have good tips for unclogging ducts? 
  • Sunflower lechtin 
    HSG- clear
    IVF Jan 2017
    Baby BOY due 11.29.2017

• Also recommend super hot water in the shower after feeding.  Massage and hand express until completely empty 
    HSG- clear
    IVF Jan 2017
    Baby BOY due 11.29.2017

• I second the super hot shower, let the water run over your breast and hand express / massage. 
  • I tried the got shower and it got the knot down a little bit it returned. I also found a bleb (blister) on my nipple which is likely causing the blockage. I am going to keep trying compresses for the next few days, order the sunflower letichin and nurse more on that side to see if it helps.
  • NYTino24NYTino24 member
    edited December 2017
    @cwalker042 I was given Dilaudid for days after birth and I didn't have to pump and dump, but they did say that it was safer than Percocet even though it's 3-4x the strength of Morphine.

@dragonfly87-2 Don't beat yourself up over it. Using a pacifier is what helped our son start latching better. DH was super against them until he was able to use one to calm DS down. Mostly, he hugs the animal part of the Wubbanub and occasionally uses the pacifier part to self soothe. It's more of an option if his hand doesn't do the trick! For a clogged duct, try dangle feeding and pump if needed.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • @dragonfly87-2 - I have as 2 plugged ducts on far.  Constant hot compresses during the day, nurse on that side first, massage the duct while nursing, and massage in a hot shower helped. And hydrate! 
  • Been doing a lot of reading about breastfeeding rates in the US and sadly, many women do not continue it for very long or meet their initial goals. It often links it to lack of support, short maternity leaves, workplace inflexibility and social acceptability of breastfeeding. Therefore, by 6 months many women have stopped breastfeeding, even though many had hoped to make it to a year.

I am curious, what are everyone's goals for length of breastfeeding? Do you think you have the support and ability to reach your goal?

Personally, my goals are:
    • 6 months of exclusive breastfeeding (having to start using pumped milk at 3 months when she goes to daycare)
    • Continue to breastfeeding for 1 year, starting solids at 6 months
    I think DD and I have established a good routine so far with minimal difficulties so far. Also, I think with DH's support (helping with getting her ready with a diaper change, etc) and having a workplace that easily allows for pumping, I should be able to reach my goals. 
  • I nursed DD for 2.5 years if not longer. She was exclusively breastfed until 6 months then we started solids (always breastmilk followed by food as it's suppose to be complimentary to breastmilk or formula). 
  • @MaximumEffort 2.5 years is quite impressive! Honestly, I don't think I could do it past 1 year, especially having to pump. But I commend those who do.