July 2018 Moms

Glucose Test Flavors

edited December 2017 in July 2018 Moms
Hey all! I just had to chug the toxic nectar that is the glucose test drink, and thought I'd do a poll to help the FTMs out. STM+ which flavor is the least offensive in your opinion?

Glucose Test Flavors 35 votes

Lemon-Lime
17% 6 votes
Orange
60% 21 votes
Fruit Punch
20% 7 votes
Other (list below)
2% 1 vote

Re: Glucose Test Flavors

• IMO I remember lemon lime being not God-awful, orange being bad, and punch being noxious. Curious what you all remember!
  • IMO I remember lemon lime being not God-awful, orange being bad, and punch being noxious. Curious what you all remember!
    Lemon lime was definitely better than punch
  • Loading the player...
  • i didnt mind either fruit punch or lemon lime 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Orange tasted like flat soda to me 
  • I've done so many glucose tests I can't even think about drinking it.  I think I'm going to see if I can just test my blood sugar several times a day rather than the GTT.  In my last pregnancy, I took the 3-hour test 2 different times. :s  (I was borderline passing so they had to recheck and when they wanted to check a third time I said F that, I'm calling it GD and skipping the test).
    Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had the orange- it tasted like @wildtot said like flat soda like. I drank it super quick though and tried so hard not to think about it. 
  • I loved the orange..but I also love orange soda haha! The fruit punch was awful just awful and I almost didn't make it through! My doc mentioned doing an early 12 week test but I'm hoping he secretly forgets
  • I don't remember being given a choice or what flavor I even had last time.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Voted orange because I wasn’t given a choice. My recommendation is ask for it cold(if possible). I didn’t think it was as bad as everyone made it out to be. 

@christycalifornia why so early??
  • I wasn’t given a choice - I had the orange and it wasn’t pleasant but also not too horrible. Not looking forward to doing this test again!
  • KellyFM522KellyFM522 member
    edited December 2017
    The orange. Also, ask for it before hand to take home the appt before,so you don't have to wait for a whole hour at the drs office. I drink it, wait, head to the dr and let them know when I'll need my blood drawn. Makes life easier! 

Duke Winter 10/11/12
    Baby Duex 05/20/15

NYC Momma 

"My stroller is my SUV"
  • edited December 2017
    @paytonpedro I have a family history of diabetes (genetic, not adult onset, and the two who have it were very healthy otherwise and could control it with diet) and am overweight, so this facility elects to do early screenings with those two factors, or so it was explained to me. They hope to catch it early if it exists. They'll do the test later at the normal time as well. I was fine with my daughter, so hoping for similar results this time. Also I was doing the genetic testing, so they just did it all together so I didn't have to get stuck more than once. 
  • I've only ever had the orange! I feel slightly upset that I wasn't given any other options. It wasn't too bad at first, but hard to chug in however many minutes they allow you. Lemon sounds better.
  • WorkinWeezelWorkinWeezel member
    edited December 2017
    I've only ever beem offered orange! Weird. I just chug. When is that test typically? I dont remember ot being this early!!! 

ETA just saw it was ordered bc of family history.  Hope it turns out well @christycalifornia
    Met: 1/21/2005
    Married: 6/27/2008
    DS: 3/14/2010 Planned, PG first try
    M/C 6/2012
    DD: 4/22/2013 Planned, UnDx Infertility, PG on our own
    BFP: 10/28/2016 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE! 
    M/C 12/12/2016
    BFP: 10/27/2017 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE
    EDD: 7/2/2018

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker
  • I have mostly had the orange but I think I got to have a different flavor one time and liked that better. 

Also agree with the suggestion above- it’s much easier to get down when it’s cold!
  • I was only offered orange last time. Tastes like McDonalds orange drink which I loved as a kid so I didn't mind it at all!
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @comealongponds ahh really?! i hope they have that one this time!! 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• @AlyLynn07 having just chugged the lemon after trying all three last time, I can confirm it's a very benign taste. 

I can see this tasting good like flat soda, if you like soda or sweet drinks. My problem with these things is I just don't have much of a sweet tooth. I always do salty snacks and never drink soda or tea with sweetener, so this stuff just makes my teeth vibrate. I was jittery after and sugar-crashed once I got home. Ate the biggest salad afterwards, it tasted amazing. 
  • Orange tasted like an orange crush soda without the fizz. Way too sweet but bearable. The lemon one was so awful. 

imageimage

• Has anyone had luck convincing their Drs to let them do the glucose test with real food, like dates etc? I've heard of this but don't know how realistic it is. 
  • @ckmb_knottieI think my doctor said I could have something with no sugar like eggs for breakfast if I really needed to. However when I got to the place that does the test they said I should be fasting. I think food might make you more likely to fail and have to do the 3 hour test.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Has anyone had luck convincing their Drs to let them do the glucose test with real food, like dates etc? I've heard of this but don't know how realistic it is. 
    It's typically not recommended since glucola has been extensively studied while alternatives have not and other aspects (like fiber or whatever) might skew the results. You're safest tonjust do the standard test, gestational diabetes isn't something to mess around with. 
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @christycalifornia I have a huge family history on both sides of both type one and type two and wasn’t offered it either time! That scares me that my office isn’t concerned... hopefully it goes smoothly this time for you as well! :) To be fair I was fine last time. 

***I wish i could could use more of a variety of emojis to convey my emotions haha
  • @paytonpedro the lack of allowed emoji's here sucks. And don't be worried. I think it's just this place/provider. I'm the same weight I was when pregnant with my daughter and have the same family history, and my OB last time in California wasn't worried. I just went with it here even though I'm pretty sure I'm fine. I'm sure you will be, too. :) I have a feeling it has more to do with my weight than my family history, but they probably don't like to say "well we're mainly concerned because of the spare tire around your waist, but family history is there, too!" :D

@ckmb_knottie I remember last time two of my friends had midwives that let them eat to test. I think it was two eggs, a piece of toast, some fruit, and a glass of orange juice. We were all so jealous.