August 2018 Moms

Weekly Questions, 12/3

Thought a place for questions might be good to get started. Post 'em here ladies! 

Re: Weekly Questions, 12/3

• I get really nasty migraines from time to time and Dh got me plain old Tylenol which is safest for pregnancy. Unfortunately they’re the chalky pills and I need gagging on them and can’t get them down. Anyone know if  strength gel is ok? 
  • @kristen8040 If you can wait until tomorrow, I’d call your OB. Otherwise, there should be someone at the pharmacy of your local drug store/pharmacy who can advise you as to your best option!
  • Loading the player...
  • proudparent2bproudparent2b member
    edited December 2017
    Which is your favorite type/brand of prenatal vitamins?
  • Thanks @proudparent2b! Thankfully it went away. I just called the on-call dr. yesterday to check about delsym for my cough so I’m trying not to be a crazy person! It should be easier the second time around  :#
  • @proudparent2b the kind you can stomach! I get gummys which my oB wasn’t a huge fan of last time but I can’t take huge vitamins especially when I don’t feel well. 
  • mrslittlemacmrslittlemac member
    edited December 2017
    I use gummies too! My OB had me on an extra B supplement (pills were cut in half so not so bad) and a vitamin D supplement (tiny gels) as well. I've been on the gummies and vit D since DD was born, just resumed the B regimen this week. I couldn't handle the pill style prenatals. Just way too difficult and I'd feel gross for hours, if they stayed down at all. 
  • Add me to the gummy prenatal vitamin train.  I can't handle the huge pills by OB prescribed.

• I’m taking best nest pnv - they have methylfolate instead of folic acid

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• @pghctwife is there a benefit of methylfolate vs. folic acid in PNVs?
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • What can you do for cramps? Just Tylenol? Are heating pads a no no?
    *TTC History*

Me: 37, MH: 38; Married August 2017

TTC #1 October 2017: BFP on 12/1/2017, DD born 7/24/2018 @ 37+1 after induction due to preeclampsia

TTC #2 January 2020: AMA, dx with DOR in May 2020

IVF July 2020: 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, 3 blasts, 2 PGT-A normal

FET 10/7/20: BFP on 10/12/20!!! (EDD 6/25/21); First beta 10/16/20 (9dpt): 148; Second beta 10/19/20 (12dpt): 621; Third beta 10/26/20 (19dpt): 4732; Fourth (and final!) beta 11/2/20 (26 dpt): 22,000+

• I Just take cvS brand pills. But I don’t have any problem swallowing a big pill. I made sure they have all the right percentages as what my OB recommended and they’re cheaper. She actually said I could take any vitamin as long as it had folic acid(I forget the exact amount). 
    Curious about the methylfolate too. I thought folic acid was the most important. 
  • methylfolate is the natural form of the vitamin b9, whereas folic acid is synthetic. Folate is better absorbed by the body from what I understand. Also I think there are people whose body does not absorb folic acid, only folate.
  • @legallykate You can use a heating pad, or muscle rub.

re-vitamins: any vitamin should be adequate as long as it has the correct amount of folic acid/folate.

Also, most medicines and their safety during pregnancy can be found here: https://americanpregnancy.org/medication/

Formerly known as Kate08young
    August '18 Siggy April Showers:

Me: 28 H: 24
    Married: 7/22/14
    Baby L: 8/4/2015  August 2015 Moms
    Baby E: 11/18/2016   December 2016 Moms
    TTC #3 08/2017  BFP 11/27/2017. 
    Twin B lost 11/22/2017, Twin A doing well. 

• Yes, it’s a newish popular thing to do, many women carry the mthfr gene mutation and it’s $ and unnecessary for most to test for, but taking methylfolate instead won’t hurt. If you aren’t absorbing the folate it’s associated with defects like cleft and tongue ties (which my 2&3 had and are quite common). 

I was swutched snyhow but also it also did test positive for a minor mthfr mutation (losses). So I take best nest plus extra methylfolate. And b complex. And prometrium. And omega 3... and probiotic... blah.

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• @legallykate You can use a heating pad, or muscle rub.

re-vitamins: any vitamin should be adequate as long as it has the correct amount of folic acid/folate.

Also, most medicines and their safety during pregnancy can be found here: https://americanpregnancy.org/medication/
    *lurker* unfortunately a lot of vitamins aren’t labelled correctly. Check out LabDoor because they actually test all the major brands.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• How many weeks will you be at your first appointment? 

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ecwk - I’ll be 7 1/2 weeks along at my first appointment.
  • @ecwk I’ll be 7 weeks. It’s a week or two earlier than typical, but I asked to be seen early so I can potentially get my dating ultrasound done before Christmas. It’s optimistic because I won’t get the script until the 13th and I know the lab books up quickly, but i wanted to get as much reassurance as possible before telling family on Christmas. 
  • @ecwk I'll be 8w1d. I have a history of cervix issues, but they aren't too worried about them yet. I'll get all my regular blood work and maybe a transvag US then. 

• astraealynnastraealynn member
    edited December 2017
    @legallykate Maybe unpopular opinion but maybe not: with my first, I had terrible cramping throughout. I took hot baths and I did use heating pads, but I put the heating pads on my low back instead of my tummy and tried not to do it for too long. 
  • astraealynnastraealynn member
    edited December 2017
  • I'm feeling so stressed because I don't think they will do an u/s until 12 weeks and I can't wait that long. I have a terrible fear of a MMC. Waiting to hear back from insurance to see if they will cover an earlier one! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ecwk FXFY!!!! I hope you get whatever you need to calm those nerves. Have you looked into a home doppler?

• I just called today and they said they’d see me on the 14th (7 weeks according to the day of my last cycle) but I’m pretty sure I ovulated a week late, so I asked if we could push it back a week. I can’t wait though! 

@ecwk hopefully you can get in sooner. 
  • @princesslockness I haven't because i think I would freak myself out if I couldn't find it!! 

@amac12999 thanks, I hope so too! Sorry to be nosy, but what will they do at your appointment? Will they do an ultrasound?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ecwk I found that after about 8 weeks, its fairly easy to find, if I pay attention to the youtube videos. I have some extra 'fluff' so I thought it would be difficult, but so far its been ok. 

• aj1327aj1327 member
    edited December 2017
    ecwk said:
    @princesslockness I haven't because i think I would freak myself out if I couldn't find it!! 

@amac12999 thanks, I hope so too! Sorry to be nosy, but what will they do at your appointment? Will they do an ultrasound?
    No worries about being nosy! If I remember correctly they do a vaginal ultrasound (I think that’s what it’s called) to confirm pregnancy & heartbeat. 

My son measured behind at the first one and we had to go back and make sure he was growing properly like a week and a half later. Pretty sure it would’ve been the same deal this time, so I just made the appointment for a week later than normal.

I didn’t get a Home Doppler for the same reason you said, but some of my friends have used them & it’s been good they said. 

ETA: they also take blood to check hormone levels at my first appointment 
  • @amacc10 that's what I want and that's what I had for my first
    oregnancy but this time they're not offering it, they don't want to give me an appointment until 10 weeks and an ultrasound at 12. Which I guess is "normal" but a lot of people are saying they get in earlier and I'm jel 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I like Vitamin Code prenatals. Only vitamin brand ever to not make me nauseous 
  • Rainbow light! This is my second time around, the first time I tried a couple different ones and I couldn't keep them down. This one is food based so it was easier to keep down (for me). Also it's packed with great vitamins to cover the bases. Highly recommend. :)

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @Danelle+Miguel Very cool! I’ll look into it!

I’ve been taking the cheapest prenatal gummy vitamins from Target for nearly 2 1/2 years (since before I was expecting with my first LO) and I’m starting to feel ready for a change of vitamin.
  • What are some good but maybe not obvious questions to ask at your first prenatal appointment? I have a list of Qs relating to diet, prohibited activities, etc. and some oddball ones from DH (i.e. "can we go back to our normal lube?"  :D) but I don't know what I should be asking in terms of the process/how she handles prenatal care. Any suggestions appreciated!
    *TTC History*

Me: 37, MH: 38; Married August 2017

TTC #1 October 2017: BFP on 12/1/2017, DD born 7/24/2018 @ 37+1 after induction due to preeclampsia

TTC #2 January 2020: AMA, dx with DOR in May 2020

IVF July 2020: 16 eggs retrieved, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, 3 blasts, 2 PGT-A normal

FET 10/7/20: BFP on 10/12/20!!! (EDD 6/25/21); First beta 10/16/20 (9dpt): 148; Second beta 10/19/20 (12dpt): 621; Third beta 10/26/20 (19dpt): 4732; Fourth (and final!) beta 11/2/20 (26 dpt): 22,000+

• @legallykate How available after hours are they? Do they require cervix checks after a certain point? What does ‘it’s time to panic’ situations look like? How aggressive do they handle things like Gestational Diabetes? How long over due will they let you go? When/if ever would they push for a C-section? What will they do if your blood pressure is spiking?

• @legallykate some questions (they may cover anyhow): schedule of appointments for an uncomplicated pregnancy, will you see various care providers for visits. Information about early testing - pros, cons, risks, reliability, what are you specifically at risk for. 

Depending on on your group, under what circumstances would you risk out of their care (I see a midwifery group so it’s relevant). Depending if you care: what is their stance on stuff like induction (avoid at all costs or do it often), how late will thet let you go assuming no complications, if you care about being med free, breastfeeding etc ask about support there. If you need a cs can it be gentle? What are their cs rates? 

Assuming its it’s your first and just the ppl you were seeing for gyn care, you may want to see now if they fit your birth preferences, assuming you have options 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Is someone on call 24-7 for maybe non emergency but important questions that might come up? I can text my midwife and I’m fb friends with her so I have lots of access which is uncommon but it is good to be able to call with a question about a side effect that doesn’t warrant an emergency etc 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Cslling all Teachers: How do you go about pumping at work? Do they work around so you can actually pump every 3 hours, or is it just on your prep?

• Cslling all Teachers: How do you go about pumping at work? Do they work around so you can actually pump every 3 hours, or is it just on your prep?
    I was only working part time while pumping, but I pumped during my prep. Sometimes I pumped while eating lunch. Pumping to and from work is also an option. I had to do that a couple times. Hopefully they’ll work with you. I think it just depends on the school how accommodating they are. It’s protected by law, but in the real world it isn’t very enforced, unfortunately.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

I pumped during my prep and during lunch. I was able to use my classroom for half the year and then I had to use another room after that. My work was pretty accommodating. Hopefully yours will too! I put all my pump stuff in a tupperware container and kept it in a freezer bag in the fridge. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @lalala2004 @ecwk I used my room, but IF I try to enforce the every 3 hours, then I'll have to find somewhere else at least once a day. Did they have a sub or aid that could cover your class for when it wasn't your prep?

I pumped during my preps and lunch.  I also pumped in the car on the way to and from work, which really helped keep my supply from plummeting.

I've always had to be vigilant about my supply because I'm not a huge producer so I did it whenever I could.