April 2018 Moms
Options

Prenatal Genetic Center- Gender Test

Hi all,
So I went ahead and purchased a gender test through the Prenatal Genetics Center which is a Canadian company. The way this works is that you pay out of pocket for the test (so I got the tubes for the blood and instructions), they locate a lab near you that offers blood draw (they found a local hospital that charged me $20 for blood draw) and then you mail out the package back to them. They then analyze the results in their lab and essentially search for a Y chromosome to determine whether the baby is boy or girl.

So I did lots of research (or tried to) on this before purchasing and found some stuff but decided to give it a try anyways. I figured some of you might be looking into it if you are in the same boat I am in which is essentially too impatient to wait until 20 week sono and not eligible for prenatal genetic screening as there's no risk factor determined. So here goes...

I got my results and they were even willing to send the results to someone else who helped prepare a reveal for my husband and I. It was much easier than I expected to get my blood drawn and mail and we had results within a week despite not paying the expedited fee. My results say its a boy and I have a couple of weeks left until that 20 week sono where we'll reconfirm or find out that the test was a phony. 

I will keep you all posted on how the results turn out for me. Wondering, did anyone else do it and if so what was your experience? 

Re: Prenatal Genetic Center- Gender Test

• Options
    BTW- I posted this way before I realized there were board rules, sorry ladies! If we need to delete please let me know :)
  • Options
    I don't know about the rules wither but I did this test through my doctors office I love knowing the sex early and any issues (luckily there is none) how much did this cost you if you don't mind sharing!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i'm sorry! I never realized you replied. It cost me $220 and I didn't have to worry about insurance covering or not covering. Luckily it all worked out and anatomy scan confirmed- boy :) 
  • Options
    zulmatic said:
    i'm sorry! I never realized you replied. It cost me $220 and I didn't have to worry about insurance covering or not covering. Luckily it all worked out and anatomy scan confirmed- boy :) 
    Just in case anyone reads this in the future I just wanted to say that you should check with the company that offers the NIPT test through your OB because even if your insurance doesn't cover the test they may offer a reduced rate. The company my OB uses was only going to charge us $100 out of pocket to get the test done if our insurance didn't cover it. 
  • Options
    Completely agree, check to see what your providers will offer and what the fees are in your area. My doctor wouldn't offer NIPT at all since I was not at risk, even if I wanted to pay for it out of pocket. I tried locating other offices that would do it and in my area they were charging upwards $450 as an 'estimate'.