December 2017 Moms
Options

Stressed with Holiday plans and in-laws.

Since we're going to be having newborns during the height of the Christmas season, what is everyone's plan for handling your families and keeping baby safe? 

At at this point I'm tempted to make a "beware of mama bear" and "handle at your own risk" sign with a list of health and safety rules for anyone who considers getting too close. They were all suggesting at my baby shower that our baby will be getting passed around like a hot potato between all the relatives on Christmas Eve. I tried to be polite, bite my tounge, and just smile at the comments, but in the back of my head I was thinking " yeah right, not if you don't want to loose an arm or a leg". I'm not a people person to begin with do not appreciate people in my personal space, so I'm afraid that may get worse once baby gets here. Alot has changed in the past few years on baby care, and all the relatives seem to be suck in the 1950's with the mindset of "we didn't do things that way when we were kids and look how we turned out". I'm also a liscensed vet tech so I understand the benefits of things like vaccines and preventing the spread diseases that can be transferred on simple vectors like clothing or direct contact with skin or mucous membranes. And just as a slight rant, it really bugs me that my MIL refuses to attend a baby CPR class, her excuse that that she's a teacher so she's already had to learn CPR. Of course lets just ignore the fact that she teaches 3rd grade, so there's a huge difference in the child's size, and my FIL has zero CPR training. She's also never had to actually give CPR to anyone. Being a vet tech I've had to give CPR numerous times and even I learned a lot from taking the baby CPR class. 

For whatever reason my in laws seem to have these grandiose expectations of what we will be doing with them during the holidays, they're excuse is that " everyone's in town" so we must spend all our time with them. We've already told them no to quite a few things, but they are the type that don't take no for an answer and continue to push every single time. Normally I can keep my cool and continue to say no, or make up some sort of excuse, but it gets exhausting to deal with the same contestant questions and request no matter how many times you've explained why they can't have everything their way. I'm afraid that I'll be homormal and/or exhausted and snap at some point. They mean well, but they just don't get it. For example we've had the same issue of spending time with them on Christmas come up every single year that my husband and I have been together. I've stood my ground on the issue, to the point where I spent Christmas alone one year because of it, but thankfully my husband has come to agree with me on the issue. Both of our parents live within 30 mins of us. Every year we spend Christmas Eve with his family and they have a huge party going into the wee hours of the night. For Christmas Day we go over to my parents for breakfast or dinner and spend the rest of our day relaxing and enjoying eachothers company. Every year my MIL insist that we go over to her house on Christmas for breakfast or dinner since we don't spend the entire day with my parents. And every year I put my foot down. They get us for either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, but they don't get both. The fact that we don't spend the entire day with my parents is none of their business and we have offered many times to switch days if they really want us on Christmas Day. Apparently from what I've been told by my SIL they're already upset that they won't be getting us and the new baby on both days, even though this issue comes up every year. They also had the crazy idea that we would be able to a family outing to a hockey game 2 days after Christmas since we'll still be off on maternity leave and the "family will still be in town". Thankfully my husband shut that down right away. But seriously who would even consider that new parents would want to make the 1-2 hour drive to the hockey game, spend 2 hours at a cramped and noisy restaurant before the game, and then 3 hours in a cold and noisy hockey stadium, before driving 2-3 hours home; keep in mind this would all be with a 2-4 wk old new born and a hopefully breastfeeding mama. Thankfully my husband and I are on the same side and my SIL "gets it", since the inlaws have made ridiculous demands with her time as well, she can at least help explain and backup our position.

I'm going to be a first time mom and I've read as much as I can to prepare for a newborn, but I have a feeling that there's no way you can truly know what to expect until you've been there, so I don't even know how much energy or desire we'll have to even want to spend time around anyone. My biggest concerns are protecting baby from all the overbearing relatives, and insisting that we can't spend all our time with everyone. Does anyone have any ideas or tips that may help dealing with the inlaws, or what you're planning on doing with a newborn during the holidays? 

Re: Stressed with Holiday plans and in-laws.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    If you search through the established threads you will see that we have already had discussions about our holiday plans etc with new babies.  
  • Options
    If you search through the established threads you will see that we have already had discussions about our holiday plans etc with new babies.  
    I tired using the search feature and going back a few pages on the forum and didn't find anything related to dealing with the holiday stress and having a newborn, perhaps you could direct me to that thread?

@whiska thanks for going all Dear Abby, it's nice to get some positive reinforcement for doing what works for us and not worry about anyone else's expectations. 

But what I'm really curious about is, for those parents with newborns who are planning on going to some sort family gathering over the holidays, what is their plan of attack for keeping baby safe and themselves sane? Are you planing on letting everyone hold your newborn, only a select few hold or touch them, or just tying them to you and only letting people look but not touch? And is there any polite way to ask people not to touch, hold, or to give your baby back without seeming like an overprotective parent? Are you expecting to spend a significant amount of time visiting the family or are you going to just pop in for a half hour and sneak out the back door when it's time to leave?

Also on a side note, does anyone have any new holiday traditions they plan on starting with their new family? If there's already a post on that subject please let me know.
  • Options
    I don’t think anyone is planning on going to huge family gatherings. I for one, am not going anywhere. You are not required to go anywhere you don’t want to. I think that was the point most of us were trying to make. And i REALLY hope you do not take your newborn into a loud germy hockey stadium. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker