March 2018 Moms

All the Registry Stuff

Questions & tips about where to register and how to maximize rewards, questions & advice about what to register for and what to skip, how to register without losing your marbles, etc. 

Me: 34 DH: 38
Married: June 2011
TTC since Feb 2016
BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18

Re: All the Registry Stuff

• So... Babylist. If I register for, say a certain toy from BuyBuyBaby but someone sees the same toy at TJ Maxx for cheaper, they can buy it where they saw it and then check it off the registry even though they bought it at another store? 

TTC since Feb 2016
  • @kiki75 from my understanding they can, but I’m not 100% on that. Babylist is apparently pretty good about customer service/support so I think if you email them they can give you a definitive answer. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @kiki75 I'd maybe also do a second "normal" registry for those who are less tech savvy - one guests could print at the store. Can you "connect" a registry from Target or BuyBuyBaby to Babylist?
    Me: 30 H: 30
    Dx: PCOS
    Married: June 2013
    TTC#1: January 2015
    BFP #1 8/24/15 | MC 9/3/15 at 6w2d
    BFP #2: 12/12/15 | DD born 8/29/16
    TTC#2: June 2017
    BFP #3: 7/15/17 | DS born 3/20/18
  • @becausescience I think you can. I haven't gotten that far yet to be sure, though. I did start a BRU registry because I was buying some Black Friday stuff and wanted it to count towards my cash back. 

TTC since Feb 2016
  • @kiki75 I'd maybe also do a second "normal" registry for those who are less tech savvy - one guests could print at the store. Can you "connect" a registry from Target or BuyBuyBaby to Babylist?
    Do you know the completion discount is at Target?

• @livingthedream-3 I think it's 15% at Target. 

I ended up doing a private share only Amazon list because everyone we planned to share it with uses Amazon (not having a shower so only shared ours with immediate family + anyone who asked us for it directly). I looked around a lot and wasn't able to find things cheaper than on Amazon for most things. When I did find something cheaper elsewhere I just took it off the registry and bought it myself where it was cheaper. I did do a Target registry at first but I ended up not sharing it with anyone and just buying a maternity hoodie, rolling laundry basket, and shower stool there (side note, now that I'm getting bigger those last 2 things have seriously saved my life, guys). Amazon's free gift box is WAY better than Target's btw. If you don't want to add all the stuff you need on the Amazon registry you can click the boxes in the "checklist" to indicate you don't need them (you can't get your goodies box until all the items are checked and someone buys one 10 dollar item). The only issue I've had is my mom is pushing 70 and not super tech savvy so she forgot to put the items in the cart from the list and clicked on the items first, which meant my list didn't register that she had purchased an item. It wasn't a big deal we just had to verbally go over what she bought so I could remove it from the list. ALSO sort of a weird quirk I noticed is that if someone puts an item in their cart but waits a few weeks to check out and in those few weeks you removed the item from your list (say because your mom who is pushing 70 clicked on it first instead of putting in her cart directly from the list...), it will pop back in to your list after they buy it. But their return policy is 90 days so you can correct that later, worse comes to worst.
  • I just stuck with Amazon to keep things easy.  No one who will be invited to the showers would be unfamiliar with it (both of my grandmas have passed and my aunts are all tech savvy) so I'm skipping in store registries.

I thought about Babylist but I feel like it's just lesser known than Amazon and it might get confusing for some.  
  • @kiki75 I did babylist and really like it. You can connect a registry from a physical store to it as well. 

I did a physical registry with the bulk of items at buybuybaby and linked that to my babylist registry, which has about 20 items on it. My items on babylist either weren't available at buybuybaby or were cheaper on amazon so I put it on the babylist one instead. 

BabyFruit Ticker

[spoiler]

Me: 28  Him: 30

Married: 11/15/14

TTC: 02/2016

IF DX: MFI (low count & morphology) & mild PCOS

June 2016 BFP - MC @8w2d

August 2016 BFP - MC @6w1d

June 2017 - 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI = BFP 7/6/17!!

Beta #1 = 422 (14dpo), Beta #2 = 810, prog - 12.3 (16dpo), Beta #3 = 5023, prog - 18.9 (20dpo)

[/spoiler]

• I just created a Target Registry and it says I can get a gift of samples from Guest Services, has anybody done this? Do I just walk up and ask for my free stuff or do they email a voucher?

• notthefathernotthefather member
    edited November 2017
    I just created a Target Registry and it says I can get a gift of samples from Guest Services, has anybody done this? Do I just walk up and ask for my free stuff or do they email a voucher?
    Yep, you just have to ask! My Target didn't even check to see if I actually made a registry. They just handed me a bag.
    Edited for Clarity.

On our way to baby #2!
    BabyFetus Ticker
    EDD March 12, 2018

• What's in the Target gift bag?  
  • @crossfitbabybump Babylist does a welcome box?! That's what I'm using, but I didn't see anything about a box. I wonder if I missed something.
  • @stlbuckeye132 - supposedly they do! I just registered today but one of the girls from our Facebook group got her welcome box. I will ask her!
  • @stlbuckeye132 - okay so I guess she clicked on a link through a facebook ad that allowed her to get a welcome box. I couldn't find it but I hope it will pop up soon! if it does, join. There's good stuff in that box!
  • @crossfitbabybump Thanks for the info! I set mine up with them a few weeks ago, so I'm thinking I may have missed out on it. I might be super cheap and email my "personal Registry Happiness Consultant" asking if there's a way I can get one. Give me all the free samples!
  • @stlbuckeye132 - please do! let me know if they give you one cause I would love one, too! :D
  • @crossfitbabybump I just sent her an email... no shame. I played dumb and said my friend received a welcome box and asked if they automatically send those to everyone or if I need to do something in order to get one. I'll keep you posted!
  • @crossfitbabybump I just got this back in response:

Thanks for reaching out! In order to qualify for our Hello Baby Box, your registry needs to have an arrival date, a shower date and at least 30 unique items listed.

I meet all those requirements, so she said she was going to check on getting one out to me, but she did mention it could take up to 3 weeks. Thanks for letting me know about the box! :smile:
  • Does BuybuyBaby have a completion discount? I automatically assumed yes since they're affiliated with Bed Bath and Beyond and we got a discount for our wedding registry eons ago......
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @stlbuckeye132 - when did you first register with them? Was it recently or over 3 weeks ago? And you’re welcome! Thanks for emailing her! I hope we get the boxes soon! ☺️
  • @crossfitbabybump I started my registry with them about 3 weeks ago, but I just entered my shower info yesterday bc it was sort of up in the air until now.

@cford08 I'm pretty sure they do? I just looked through my registry bag and googled though and didn't see anything about it. They must offer one... right?
  • Great tips on this board, thanks ladies! I have a quick question for you all. When I was registering with a friend of mine (who has 1 yr old twins) she advised I register for: Rock n Plays, swings, bassinets, and pack n play (this in addition to cribs). Do I really need all of these things? Seems like this is a lot of gear even for two babies. 

Anyone have any advice/suggestions on what to start out with as a FTM? 
  • @i-wanna-b-the-girl-w-most-cake I only had one, but I used the bassinet for the first three months, then the pack and play for the next three (so I could keep her in our bedroom until the SIDS risk dropped.) She primary napped in the swing until she was about 6 months, and she hated the rock and play for the most part. But every baby is different, and with you having twins, honestly I would recommend buying at least one of each item so you can feel out what your babies like/don’t like. 
  • ashleyf911ashleyf911 member
    edited November 2017
    @i-wanna-b-the-girl-w-most-cake Honestly it just depends on what your plan is after they're here. With my first, we did a cradle/bassinet that DH's grandpa built in our bedroom for sleeping overnight, then a pack n play (for napping) and swing in our living room. We wound up only using the little napper part on the pack n play, otherwise it just took up unnecessary space. Even when he was older, we never put him in it. Some people use theirs every day though to keep babe confined. This time we're going with the cradle in our bedroom for overnights, a bassinet in the living room for naps and a Mamaroo.  The swing and pack n play just used up too much floor space in our smaller living room. 

IMO, the rock and play bassinet are interchangeable... if you have one, you probably don't need both. They both are mostly just a place for babe to nap or sleep. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @i-wanna-b-the-girl-w-most-cake I’m a FTM but Lucie’s List (I believe) recommended the Tiny Love 3-n-1 bassinet/rocker/bouncer so I’m registering for that. It costs about as much as the auto RNP but you can use it for more things. I might keep the RNP on my registry as something more travel friendly, though. (The Tiny Love one doesn’t fold up I don’t believe.)
  • Just going to leave this here for anyone who's interested... :lol:

https://www.delish.com/food-news/news/a56951/dominos-baby-registry/
  • @stlbuckeye132 Dominos is gross. Now a Pizza Hut baby registry.....  :D
  • Great tips on this board, thanks ladies! I have a quick question for you all. When I was registering with a friend of mine (who has 1 yr old twins) she advised I register for: Rock n Plays, swings, bassinets, and pack n play (this in addition to cribs). Do I really need all of these things? Seems like this is a lot of gear even for two babies. 

Anyone have any advice/suggestions on what to start out with as a FTM? 
    You don't need a bassinet if you get a PnP that includes one that snaps on top. Neither of my kids liked the swing but loved those little vibrating seats. We hardly ever used the PnP but used our RnP a lot. I know people who used the PnP all the time, so it depends on what you think your needs will be.

• @i-wanna-b-the-girl-w-most-cake I asked something similar on another thread here awhile back maybe before you started posting and got a lot of great responses. The FTM/MoM thing makes everything so expensive, right?! What I ended up deciding was to get 2 cribs, 2 bassinet/pack n play combos, 1 mamaroo swing, and 1 bouncer. I figured that was more than enough to start and if I still feel like something is lacking I can buy more later. Several ladies here suggested that the twins could take turns on the bouncer and swing and I decided to go with that (and just kind of crossing my fingers that they don't both love the same one and hate the other). 
  • This is all great advice, thank u. I'm just trying to be as prepared as possible but at the same time knowing I can only prepare so much...I have no idea what each baby's preferences will be, nor my own preferences for that matter seeing as this is my first time! All I know is I'll want to have a place for them to be comfy/entertained both upstairs and downstairs so we're not lugging baby gear around. 
    I'll probably just end up registering for one of each then go from there. I can always return an item or buy another if need be. 
  • KASGKASG member
    edited December 2017
    I forgot the name of it (sorry) but there's a registry where you just put what you want and when people go, it tells them what stores, physical or otherwise, have it. I'll try to find it and come back.

@i-wanna-b-the-girl-w-most-cake honestly, most stuff you probably don't need and you don't always discover that until you're in it. I will say, about the cribs though, my 16 month old hasn't slept more than 45 minutes at once in hers in her entire life. I found out late, but the pnp is better for her. This time, I'm getting a bassinet with rocking motion cuz I'm not about co-sleeping anymore, especially since #1 still does it 90% of the time lol Anyway, think about how you might want to operate on the daily and try to get things that will aid in that. Tip: apparently babywearing is a great way to still do things you need to around the house, especially if you have a clingy baby :wink:
    Me: 28
    DH: 29
    Married: 7/4/15
    TTC #1 since marriage
    BFP 11/17/15 -- EDD 7/31/16

• Every baby is different.  We had a hand me down bassinet and our first hated it, used a rock n play one night and she loved it.  Transitioning to the crib was brutal though since the rnp is inclined.  Also, we had a mamaroo and she hated it, so we returned and got an ole fashion cheap swing from Target.  Now this next baby, who the heck knows!
  • Anyone have any double stroller recommendations for a 20 month old and newborn? I want a jogging stroller but BOBs are too expensive and I don't want anything too big. Wondering if I should get a compact double stroller and jogger or just a double jogger that isn't too big. Was thinking a baby trend expedition jogger. 
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA

• Has anybody gotten a noobiebox? They are charging shipping, bu the codes my girlfriend gave me aren't work. Anybody have any good codes?

https://www.noobiebox.com/products/noobie-box-pregnancy-edition

• As far as the gear goes for newborns, as others have said, all babies are different. My son hated typical swings, tolerated the Mamaroo (which we borrowed from someone whose baby outgrew it then I bought one used), and hated the bouncer. We ended up with two hand me down pack and plays which we used a total of twice. I gave one away and will do the same with the 2nd. My son slept in a bassinet (the stroller one, we didn't get anything separate) for about 2.5 months before I got him into the crib. He took naps in it a little longer than that, and we used it until he grew out of it for walks. With this one, who knows. He also really enjoyed the activity mats, especially the one where there was a small keyboard at the feet to kick.

DS:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnant with #2: 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @jerseygirl9090, I don't have any specific double stroller recommendations. But I will tell you to look closely at the jogging ones. I bought a second hand one, and it suuuuuucks. Reason being, the front wheel is "locked" and doesn't swivel. It's great for jogging, but SUCKS for walking. Unless you get a big momentum going, you have to essentially pick it up to turn it. Not ideal, especially with 2 kids in there. So make sure the one you get has a swivel wheel unless you're strictly going to use it for jogging :)
  • @justkeeptrying thanks ! I have a graco single jogger from my first and it sucked ths swivel wheel broke. So we got another single jogger it was a Baby trend and it works so much better so that's why we are leaning towards another baby trend definetly with a swivel wheel because we will use it for walking too. I am debating on getting a regular double stroller for errands and stuff because joggers are so big and bulky and don't fit great in crowded/small stores or places.
    Daisypath - nBGk

Lilypie - GQnA