July 2018 Moms

Let’s talk vehicles...

Re: Let’s talk vehicles...

• AlyLynn07 said:
    @4deep - would definitely love to see pics!! I have a RAV4 (which we purchased 2 days before I found out I was pregnant with our first), but am currently expecting our 3rd, so we will need a new car for sure. I am a Toyota fan, so it's looking like the Highlander or Sienna. I love the idea of the Highlander with the captains chairs, but am nervous about cargo space with the 3rd row. Can you fit strollers? 
    I’m so sorry! I completely lost track of this thread! I’ll take pics TODAY and post them here this afternoon. 
  • @kmalls and @eagregg we bought the traverse 1LT with captain chairs last night and I loooove it! Thanks ladies, you were totally on point. We got a ton of bang for our buck and the 2018s look sleek AF
    @Crystal321 congrats! It’s a great car! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @4deep no rush at all, I'm just so thankful that you're willing to do that! We would probably be looking at 2017 models to try to get a deal at the end of the year. 
  • Ok, here’s our 2017 highlander with the 2nd row bucket seats. I was hoping to get pics with all the kids but I keep forgetting in the evening. So hopefully you can still get an idea. My double stroller (city select) is in the attic, but it fits easily in the trunk. So instead I put a bunch of typical cargo we carry constantly so you could see. And it would have fit much more. 

2nd row

Walk through

3rd row

Big ass car seat 

Front

Trunk

• Anyway our family of 5 rides comfortably with all our crap and we love it. 
  • @4deep oh my thank you so much for all the pics - will definitely have to show DH!! Looks way more spacious than I anticipated. You fit all that in the trunk w the 3rd row up?? Can't you also fold down half of the 3rd row if needed too?
  • AlyLynn07 said:
    @4deep oh my thank you so much for all the pics - will definitely have to show DH!! Looks way more spacious than I anticipated. You fit all that in the trunk w the 3rd row up?? Can't you also fold down half of the 3rd row if needed too?
    Oh yeah that’s with it up. You can fold the whole 3rd row down if you want. The third row is a single seat and two seats. You can fold down one or both. 
  • @4deep thank you again!! I really appreciate it. I thought we were destined for mini van land, but this has me pretty pumped! Can't wait to check it out (after my first ultrasound and such of course)
  • My husband just sent me a link about Subaru's new SUV coming out next year with a third row! And captains chairs in the second row. We love our Subies here haha (living in Western NY)

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • I’m slightly panicky- DH and I got new cars in 2013. He chose a stupid Honda Civic and I got a Honda CR-V. Now that we are expecting twins on top of our 1.5 year old (3 rear facing car seats), we need to replace our cars. That’s just way too tight and I don’t want to have to deal with figuring out 3 car seats in one row. Obviously we can’t afford two car payments unless DH gets an awesome raise next year, so we plan to just replace one. The thought we are having is replace my car and save money keeping DH’s tiny car, and we will just have to drive only the one bigger car if we have to drive all 3 somewhere. Would you get a minivan or something like the Chevy Traverse? I’m thinking minivan and then when DH replaces his car he gets the Traverse... so many things to think about  :s
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @lucky13mama I'm facepalming myself about the Civic I bought in 2012 and just paid off in March. MH and I had only been dating for a year at the time, so I wasn't even thinking about car seats. So now I have a paid off Civic with only 45,000 miles on it. This will be our first child, so I'm hoping to still make the Civic work for a couple of years since it's a 4 door at least. 
  • We are going car shopping Monday... I read a post in this thread (now I can’t find who said it :s )about Subaru’s being bad in the snow... that’s the reason I wanted a Subaru... I live in northern Illinois and really want something that handles great in snow and ice... I’m car clueless and open to suggestions.... 
  • @pregnant_and_paleo Toyota 4Runner!

Lab Mom (x2): Sept/Oct 2014 
    Married: August 2015
    DS: Nov 2016 (36w)
    Baby H #2: July2018 (Team Pink!)

• @djh513 holy toledo those are huge... looks awesome but huge adjustment from my Ford Focus lol
  • @pregnant_and_paleo Lol we are definitely SUV people, I didn’t even think about it being too big! Oops. We both have one. My husband is dying for a Yukon XL right now so his 4Runner is feeling “small” to him as we talk about 2 kiddos. 

Lab Mom (x2): Sept/Oct 2014 
    Married: August 2015
    DS: Nov 2016 (36w)
    Baby H #2: July2018 (Team Pink!)

• @djh513 my DH drives an F150 so he wouldn’t think it was big but we have a tiny one car townhouse garage so I need something smaller for now... I’m sure by the time we get to baby 2 (and have moved into a house with a driveway) I’ll be ready for something bigger.... I just need safe and snow sturdy for now. I also love that you and your DH liked the car enough to have two of them...definitely speaks to the car being awesome!
  • @beanship my DH has no excuse- we bought his Civic 1 year before getting married but were engaged and knew we wanted kids. He refused to listen and wanted his last “fun” car. I still want to punch him in the throat over that choice  :D
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I’m slightly panicky- DH and I got new cars in 2013. He chose a stupid Honda Civic and I got a Honda CR-V. Now that we are expecting twins on top of our 1.5 year old (3 rear facing car seats), we need to replace our cars. That’s just way too tight and I don’t want to have to deal with figuring out 3 car seats in one row. Obviously we can’t afford two car payments unless DH gets an awesome raise next year, so we plan to just replace one. The thought we are having is replace my car and save money keeping DH’s tiny car, and we will just have to drive only the one bigger car if we have to drive all 3 somewhere. Would you get a minivan or something like the Chevy Traverse? I’m thinking minivan and then when DH replaces his car he gets the Traverse... so many things to think about  :s
    I love my traverse and recommend it to anyone. However, the twins thing is throwing me. I always say get the captains chairs no matter what vehicle you end up with, but having to buckle three could get really fun when you have to crawl to the third row. I feel like I’m leaning minivan for you. It seems like it’d be easier for the adult to climb in and out of to help with buckles?
  • @eagregg that’s what I’m leaning towards, too. We can always get the Traverse when DH replaces his car, and we would definitely get captain seats. my sister has twin 3.5 yr olds and a 1.5 yr old and has an Odyssey so I know they like a can for all that.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have a 4d Mini cooper.  From what I read on the Mini forums a carseat can fit comfortably. I have no plans to get anything bigger anytime soon.  
  • We are going car shopping Monday... I read a post in this thread (now I can’t find who said it :s )about Subaru’s being bad in the snow... that’s the reason I wanted a Subaru... I live in northern Illinois and really want something that handles great in snow and ice... I’m car clueless and open to suggestions.... 
    Who said that?? Haha, was it my story? Subarus are GREAT in the snow, as long as you plan to get good all-season tires or put on snow tires in the winters. No car is safe in the snow unless you have good tires, was the point of my story. Otherwise, we live in snow westernNY  and everyone has Subarus because they're such great cars. They really are workhorses when it comes to getting in or out of deep snow. The AWD really helps. I've never gotten stuck, and their engine sits low so they are not easily tipped.

• @flockofmoosen3 it may have been yours! Sliding all over the place during a snow storm...? My DH convinced me that a lot of that is people thinking they are invincible because of AWD and driving like idiots. We bought one yesterday actually. A crosstrek. It has brand new all season tires (11 miles put on them so far). Our plan is to stick with the all seasons this year and see how I do on those, and next year get winter tires if we need to. 
  • Yay @pregant_and_paleo! Nice choice! Yeah your new tires should do well. Your DH is right about the people who are idiots and think they are invincible in their AWD. I'm always very careful. I also like to be"test" the road conditions by doing controlled swerving and sudden stops in my neighborhood before I head out on the main roads, which are usually better condition anyway. My original post was supposed to illustrate how Fwd cars can be as good in the winter as AWD, and both are bad with the wrong tires. 

• @flockofmoosen3 I understand what you mean now, thank you so much!
  • @flockofmoosen3 it may have been yours! Sliding all over the place during a snow storm...? My DH convinced me that a lot of that is people thinking they are invincible because of AWD and driving like idiots. We bought one yesterday actually. A crosstrek. It has brand new all season tires (11 miles put on them so far). Our plan is to stick with the all seasons this year and see how I do on those, and next year get winter tires if we need to. 
    @pregnant_and_paleo I have a 2014 Crosstrek and I love it SO much! Hope you love yours too! I just saw that there’s going to be a new Subaru with 3 rows of seats and I’m going to have to convince myself I don’t need  it lol. I love Subarus!
  • @ashbub714 We're also coveting the new Subaru Ascent--it's too bad it isn't coming out until next fall at the earliest! 

• @flockofmoosen3 ah I hadn’t dug deep enough to figure out when it was coming out! That’s a bummer and great all at the same time because that means I can’t make any impulse purchase any time soon lol my husband has a 2 door civic and I told him we should just get the ascent to replace his car and have two subarus  :p He thinks I’m nuts.
  • I just got a Volvo XC90 and absolutely love it! I live on the bench of the mountains in UT so I get the snow thing!
  • morethanamamamorethanamama member
    edited February 2018
    I hope you ladies don't mind me resurrecting this thread! We currently have one car (I work from home) and a scooter (DH's treat for himself, it was amazing to go to the beach with it last summer!). We sold my car in August knowing that we could enjoy a year of with one car payment and get a SUV when babies came. 

We checked out the Volvo XC60- it's beautiful but holy crap $$$$. His parents are helping us with this purchase but we already have a pretty $$ Acura TLX and I just can't justify another hefty car payment.
    We liked the Subaru Crosstrek and for the price we could get it fully loaded BUT, the trunk opens manually which is something that in my head is a huge bummer. I see everyone has been mentioning very different cars so I wonder if any STM here thinks it's a big deal to have that. I'm being silly but it's really a deal breaker for me at this point. 

By the way, it looks like the Subaru Ascent is coming out in July now. I know it's cutting it close, but it *might* be an option for some of us. 
  • @kissableviv it wouldn’t be a deal breaker for me unless it was a heavy trunk, but most aren’t these days. Really, the baby is usually already in the car by the time you’re going to open the trunk so it’s not so for me hands free isn’t a nesessity. 
  • Agree with @acunamatada I actually can't think of a time I've had to open/close the trunk with baby in arms....I always put him in the car first, or if I'm loading groceries I keep him in the shopping cart until unloaded. Wouldn't even be on my radar personally but if it's important to you then look for one that has it. We have a Subaru Forester and honestly the trunk pretty much goes up by itself once you unlatch it. 
  • @jenny2018 I had an XC90 in high school and haven’t had a car since because we live in Manhattan and don’t need one but with 2 babies coming resigned ourselves to having a car again. Just bought the new XC90 and love it-seriously would never have another car, it’s the best! 
  • @kissableviv I drive a clunky old Suburban and it has a manual back hatch. I’ve never been hindered by it. If you like everything else about the car then I wouldn’t let that hold you back. I love those crosstreks too! 
  • Thanks everyone. I actually just fell in love with the new VW Tiguan. It's awesome! Great price and it has a lux feel. We just cannot justify the Volvo. It's beautiful but we already have a fully loaded Acura that DH loves and we don't need to spend so much on the SUV. But it would be a great car to have of we only had one car, for sure.

I'm keeping the Subaru on the list and I'm going to check out Hyundai and Mazda now:)
  • We just test drove a pacifica minivan this week! With the twins coming and ds1, we’ll need lots of room. I loved the vans doors and accessibility, it has. Totally want it now 
  • We're a one car household, and have a Subaru Outback.  When it comes time for us to get a second vehicle, we're talk about getting a second one.
  • @noideawhatshesdoing I forget, you also work from home? You guys have decided you can keep one car when the baby comes? 
  • @crabcake18 those Pacifica minivans are so dreamy!
  • @noideawhatshesdoing @kissableviv we have just one car too for about a year or so,we plan on getting another car before #2. I’m a SAHM and I take the car on the weekends when I work. It’s totally doable with a kid, we’ve got a park and library in walking distance, but newborns have lots of appts and it might be tricky. Not impossible though. 
  • @acunamatada totally. It's been ok for now, one car since August. My DH has a scooter:) and his office is not far. But in the winter, even here in California, he's had to take the car. And by the time I finish work it's dark out and I don't wanna walk anywhere. Plus it's been a pain with my doc appointments. Definitely doable, just a pain sometimes. I can't imagine driving him to work like I've done occasionally when baby comes:) and I don't want him to get ideas about keeping just one car and upgrading his scooter to something that goes on the freeways!!!lol