July 2018 Moms

STM- How/when do you plan to break the news to your kids?

edited November 2017 in July 2018 Moms
My DD is 5yo and wants a sibling so bad. She wants to steal the neighbors 2yo and "keep him at our house." I'm thinking Christmas Eve. I'll be 10wks. I think I'm going to get her a shirt that says something about being a big sister. But I want to hear everyone else's ideas first.

Re: STM- How/when do you plan to break the news to your kids?

• My DD is younger and doesn’t do great with change, so we have already started talking about it with her. Talking about sisters, and who she knows that is a sister. It’s going to take her a while to get it and she’s not talking well enough to spill the beans so I’m not worried about that. 
  • Interesting, I haven't even thought about it. DD just turned 2 so I'm not sure how much she will understand. She is very verbal though and when I've asked her if she wants a baby brother or baby sister she always says yes and alternates between telling us she wants a baby brother and baby sister. I think I will get her a book or 2 about being a big sister and take it from there. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Interesting. 
  • nver we arent going to tell anyone ever.
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• My DD is 5yo and wants a sibling so bad. She wants to steal the neighbors 2yo and "keep him at our house." I'm thinking Christmas Eve. I'll be 10wks. I think I'm going to get her a shirt that says something about being a big sister. But I want to hear everyone else's ideas first.
    Thank you for posting this! I really don’t know when I will tell Kitty (3 YO). She has been asking for a sibling. I know though when I tell her, the world will know because she doesn’t understand secrets and I wouldn’t expect her to keep this news to herself.

i actually haven’t even told my mom yet...I had really severe pre-e last time, and almost legit died, and I know it really freaks my mom out (the idea of me being pregnant again). So I’m not telling Kitty until after I tell mom, which will probably be when I’m showing and she sees me and there’s no hiding it anymore. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • hmm @brittany121087 so when do you plan to start supporting other members? because all your posts so far have been self focused including this one. 

• That's why I was going to wait till Christmas Eve. Because that's when we will tell DH family. I figured she could wear her shirt there. Because I know as soon as I tell her, strangers in the stores will know. Everyone she passes will know.

• That's why I was going to wait till Christmas Eve. Because that's when we will tell DH family. I figured she could wear her shirt there. Because I know as soon as I tell her, strangers in the stores will know. Everyone she passes will know.

I agree. When is your edd again? Mine is 7/23 so I’m very early in the pregnancy. But it’s my second so who knows when I’ll show...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Dangggg @lindsayleigh1989!!! That’s one way to stir the pot!
  • I’m just ignoring her @mamabird18 ....my mama always said whoever stirs the shit pot eventually has to lick the spoon.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • well considering started this thread  to do just that i have no bothers to give. 

• My EDD is 7/22. So, we are pretty close. I told at 10 wks last time. So, I'm okay with not waiting till 12wks. As long as we see/hear the heart beat, I'm okay with telling family. 
  • Basically everyone in our families already knows, due to our mothers (and my aunt) who can’t keep a secret. I think we will announce via social media on New Year’s Eve since that’s when we will find out the sex! Can’t wait! :)

My daughter isn’t quite 1.5, so she doesn’t understand the concept AT ALL. But we will use her adorableness in our announcement of course! Haha!
  • Last pregnancy I had to tell my family almost immediately because my mom and I were going to New Orleans for a trip and obv couldn’t drink and all the amazing food smells were making me dry heave, so everyone knew like the DAY DH and I found out. So I’m enjoying having a little secret time, although my sis who lives nearby figured it out.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mamabird18 lol that's why telling the mom's is like telling DD. Once they know, EVERYONE knows. 

@sopranoali We were young and excited last time and told everyone almost immediately. This time I just don't have the same urge to tell everyone. DH AND I are enjoying are little secret. 
  • I also kind of resent myself for not telling my mom. My sis figured it out, I’ve also had to tell the childcare center DD goes to, I’m pretty sure some of my undergraduate students have figured it out from my frequent trips to the bathroom...idk I just don’t want my mom to stress. My dad died in 2014 and it was so shocking and none of us really recovered from it. My mom stresses about the potential risk of EVERYTHING and I just don’t want to add to her stress
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I also kind of resent myself for not telling my mom. My sis figured it out, I’ve also had to tell the childcare center DD goes to, I’m pretty sure some of my undergraduate students have figured it out from my frequent trips to the bathroom...idk I just don’t want my mom to stress. My dad died in 2014 and it was so shocking and none of us really recovered from it. My mom stresses about the potential risk of EVERYTHING and I just don’t want to add to her stress
    I understand that. I'm sorry to hear about your father. I know personally, loses like that make these exciting times slightly bitter sweet. Your mom sounds like she has some anxiety from it. That must be hard on her. I would just make it special when you tell her, with anxiety there isn't much someone can do to prevent it unfortunately. Let me know how it goes though when you do.
  • We already told our 3.5yo. it was rough haha! She thought we were telling her that SHE was going to have a baby and she started crying and told us she's not an adult yet. We fixed that misunderstanding and then she still didn't believe me because my belly isn't big. So I had to explain that baby is teeny tiny and now she's finally on board haha

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • Omg @flockofmoosen3 your sweet daughter that makes me LOL. That will be a fun story to tell her when she's older. 
  • My sons 21 months (will be 2 in February) so I told him the moment I found out. He doesn’t really get it. Like he knows what babies are and that I have one in my belly but he’s so young that waiting wouldn’t have been a “surprise” or anything. 
  • My daughter turned two in August.  She loves babies and she’ll probably be excited even if she doesn’t fully understand.  Since I haven’t had my first doc appt or ultrasound yet, we haven’t told her.  We have told our parents, siblings and nieces (who are older). We just want to wait until we hear the heartbeat at least before we tell her, just in case.  It’ll take her a bit to understand and I’d hate to have to try to explain if something happened and we lost the baby.  

We probably won’t do anything too exciting to tell her.  But since your daughters older, you could be more creative! It seems like I’ve seen so many cute ideas on Facebook and Pinterest but I’m completely blanking right now...
  • I’m struggling with this too. Mine are 9, 6, and 3. The 9 and 6 yo’s are already on to me. They keep asking why I lay down a lot and why I don’t feel good all the time. I don’t want to scare them. Or lie to them. We plan on telling them before they go back to school over Christmas break. Just wish all this nausea and sickness would go away so I could put on my brave mom face for them. 
  • We’ve been trying to get our son (4) used to the idea of there maybe being a baby since we started TTC so he knows it’s a possibility but we haven’t told him outright yet.  I think we’ll probably tell
    him after my appointment next week if all looks well.  He’s got a big mouth so I didn’t want to tell
    him before I was ready for teachers and neighbors to know, lol.  
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • My girls are 3 and 4. I already told them. My 3 year old is very attached to me and is going to need a while to be happy about a new baby. My 4 year old has been asking for a new baby for months now and was excited. 
  • We may have DS (4) announce for us on Christmas, but would have to wait to tell him until 5 seconds beforehand.. otherwise everyone - our family, his teachers, grocery store employees - will all know.
  • @AlyLynn07 that's my DD. I'm the most excited to tell her. We'll see how long I can hold out. 
  • We told our 3 1/2 year old last week. He’s excited and keeps saying things like “mommy is the baby still in there?” And “the baby can watch my tablet” Today I had my first appointment and apparently he thought I was going to come home with the baby

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Originally I was going to add a newborn sleeper to their Christmas box, and tell them when they ask who it is for. However, we couldn't wait to tell them. We ended up whispering it in our eight year old's ear at Thanksgiving dinner. She immediately turned to her little sister and told her the news. Then they started asking family members if they knew we are having a baby. 
  • I'm not telling until I want the WHOLE WORLD to know, haha. It would be all the little ones talk about. My son has already said a sidewards comment about a baby, but I'm not sure he really knows. With both the kiddos being three, I think they'll be excited until the baby comes home (and they realize they're not the babies anymore).
  • We told my son on his birthday a few weeks ago. He has been asking for a sibling for a while now, and it was the perfect opportunity.
    Meagan
    <3 Married 6.12.10 <3
    DS 11.8.12
     Baby GIRL! due 7.4.18
  • Probably not until we see/hear the heartbeat. *TW*
    I told them around 8 weeks last time and then a few weeks later had to explain to my DD that I lost the baby (ds is too little to understand). We never heard the HB or got an ultrasound with that one, so we'll wait until we do with this one. 

I told ds (2) I have a baby in my tummy and he argued with me that I don't, his aunt does. She is 9 months pregnant and has a big belly, so he's like "no mom, you don't have a baby in there" 
  • I am waiting to tell DS until I want the world to know...probably around 14 weeks. 
  • @brittany121087 what is that huge thing in your siggy and anyway you could make it smaller or get rid of it?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @runsomewhere Thank for letting me know. I only access through mobile anymore and can't see sigs. I'm not sure what all that mess was.
  • @brittany121087 thanks, I hope my comment didn't sound rude btw didn't intend for that I was just like what is that?!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • runsomewhere said:no
    @brittany121087 thanks, I hope my comment didn't sound rude btw didn't intend for that I was just like what is that?!
    No, not at all. That was weird.