Preemies
Options

3rd baby about to be born at 34 weeks. Need advice from mom's who have given birth around 34 weeks!

Due to a super rare high risk pregnancy, I have been in the hospital for the past month.  I turn 33 weeks tomorrow and they are planning my c-section for 34 weeks, so next Friday.

I am completely freaked about my c-section bc of a bad experience with my last c-section and all the risks involved with this pregnancy but that is another post!

My first two were born at 39 weeks and on her due date so I have no experience with a preemie, although I have heard that 34 weekers tend to do well.  Who here has had a baby around 34 weeks? Any advice for the NICU stay?  How long did they have to stay?  How was the breastfeeding process with a baby in the NICU, especially if you have other little ones at home.  I am sure I will think of more questions but those are the ones I can think of right now.  I truly appreciate every single person that responds!  TIA!

Re: 3rd baby about to be born at 34 weeks. Need advice from mom's who have given birth around 34 weeks!

• Options
    My son was born at 34 weeks due to severe pre-e and HELLP.  He was IUGR (growth restricted) and was 4.2 lbs at birth.  Nearly a month in the NICU but really as a feeder and grower - no major complications beyond some breathing issues that are common at that gestational age.  

He needed to be bottle fed fed after his tube came out since nursing was too strenuous.  We attempted to nurse for about a month and he was just frustrated after becoming used to the ease of bottle feeding.  I ended up pumping exclusively and it's what worked for us.  

Good luck to all of you!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker     

• Options
    DiFazette said:
    My son was born at 34 weeks due to severe pre-e and HELLP.  He was IUGR (growth restricted) and was 4.2 lbs at birth.  Nearly a month in the NICU but really as a feeder and grower - no major complications beyond some breathing issues that are common at that gestational age.  

He needed to be bottle fed fed after his tube came out since nursing was too strenuous.  We attempted to nurse for about a month and he was just frustrated after becoming used to the ease of bottle feeding.  I ended up pumping exclusively and it's what worked for us.  

Good luck to all of you!  
    This was almost exactly what happened with me. LO was born at 33 weeks for unknown reasons. Spent 3 weeks in the NICU. I also attempted to nurse but ended up EP-ing.

He is almost 2.5 years old now, and has no lingering issues. 

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Hi! Congrats on not losing your mind after a month in the hospital. I was on bed rest 6 weeks (2 in the hospital) before my twins came at 32w/3d due to a dynamic cervix and irritable uterus. A friend of mine delivered her twins a month before me at 34 weeks due to pre-e. All of our babies were in the NICU for about a month. One of mine had some major lung issues, but hers were mostly just growers and feeders. Make sure you pump really regularly to build your supply. Don't rush baby - you may not get breast feeding down until you're out of the NICU. My girls never learned to latch, so I pumped exclusively, but my friend got tandem breast feeding down to a science!

My best NICU advice is take lots of pictures. We don't think about it, because it's such a stressful time, but you'll want the memories to share.
  • Options
    DD and DS2 were both born at 35+6 and 35+2 respectively but behaved more like 34 weekers.  They both spent time on the CPAP to help them learn to breathe.  They'll monitor them closely for pneumothorax while they're in there, but those are typically easy to resolve.  

DS2 spent 2 weeks in the NICU because he needed help learning to eat.  He was tube fed once he came off the respirator and gradually syringe fed until he could tolerate more.  If you plan to BF, pump while they're in the NICU.  Most have hospital grade pumps you can use on site. I came out of there with a huge stash that came in handy later on after my supply dropped.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    My 2nd DD was born at 34 weeks and 4 days from PPROM and she did very well. She required no oxygen or feeding tube, she was on prophylactic antibiotics for 2 days and had to be under bili lights for a day or 2. She went home after exactly a week. We had trouble with nursing, I pumped for the first 6 weeks and wound up switching to formula. She's now a very healthy and happy 3 year old :smiley:

• Options
    DD2 was born at 33w4d. She was 5lbs10oz and, other than jaundice, did great and was a feeder and a grower. She only had to stay 8 days which is basically unheard of. Now she's a beast of a baby haha! Other than respiratory stuff here and there, she's really healthy, she was my best nurser, and she's doing realwell developmentally (behind in speech but all my kids have been)
                                          Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
                                                                     Formerly ChoicesMom
                                                                         "Squishy" 2007
                                                           "Lyric" EDD Nov/4/11 - c/p Feb/11
                                                                            "Fishy" 2012
                                                                            "Bean" 2014
                                                             "Lux" EDD Apr/21/17 - c/p Aug/16
                                                       "Kokonah" EDD May/24/17 - m/c Oct/16
                                1 surprise - 1 Noonie - 1 preemie - 3 gone but not forgotten - One more on the way!!
                                                          Grab bag of mental health disorders
                                                                              Pancolitis

• Options
    My boy was also born at 34 weeks. Via C-section due to preeclampsia. He spent 19 days in the NICU. They had to give him surfactant via intubation, was on CPAP, had an oral gastric tube then a nasal gastric tube & a PIC line. It was a scary 19 days, my advice is to take it one day at a time. Spend as much time as you can while getting rest(trust me your mental health will thank you). Call when you're away if you need an update. Tears will happen. Let them. You'll get thru it.