October 2016 Moms

All things Christmas

Well with Thanksgiving officially behind us lets share details of gift ideas for our LO's, holiday traditions and everything else festive!
Image result for christmas is coming GIF
Image result for its raining meme

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: All things Christmas

• Anyone else dreading putting up a Christmas tree this year due to curious LO's? I don't own a  fake tree and have always done real so that adds another mess factor into the equation.

Anyone else Black Friday/Cyber Monday/ Amazon Lighting Deals shopping over the next week? *Raises Hand*

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I am NOT doing a tree again until Johnny is three! So, I'll decorate a Yule log to either keep in the window sill or on the dining room table until the sprouts can be trusted to NOT be instruments of mass destruction.

I may check out some lightening deals, but I will NEVER brave black Friday. Johnny and Jimmy are super into books, and their sister's broken leapfrog laptop, so I think they'll be getting items to that effect. 

I love this time of year, but have to keep a lid on my enthusiasm so as not to embarass myself haha
  • Loading the player...
  • I am thinking about making a large paper tree to hang on the wall in our sitting room. I did manage to snap 4 stocking when I was in America which I'm pretty excited about. 
    *American lady living in Tanzania.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
    BFP #1 - MC Dec 2, 2015 (@ 9weeks)
    BFP #2 - Feb 2, 2016 --EDD 10/10/16 --Abigail- October 6, 2016. Heart warrior.
    October 2017- Began fostering to adopt T, (DOB:November 19, 2013)
  • Since we’re renting right now (in the process of building a house...again,sigh.), there’s literally no room for a tree! I plan on buying a small real one and putting it on top of the table. We’re going to decorate it old school with popcorn garland, etc.

and yes to Black Friday sales! We’ve already bought tons of things online and saved $1,500!
  • I didn't really have much luck with shopping the online Black Friday sales. I made out great a couple years ago. I plan to get quite a few books since S is obsessed. I really want a toy that will keep her distracted for awhile. Any ideas?

I did get a new pre-lit Christmas tree but now I'm worried about putting it up. I'm almost considering putting up my old one in case S gets any ideas. I can't not have a tree!  But how do you keep them away from it??  

• I got V a little kitchen set and some melissa & doug stainless steel pots and pans. I have absolutely no idea if it will entertain her at my home but she plays with a similar one at the church nursery and seems to enjoy it. My idea behind it being to distract/detain her from "helping" me unload the dishwasher or "help" me with anything else when I'm in the kitchen which usually ends in lots of No No's and screaming baby pulling on my legs. Sound familiar to anyone?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • exhibit A & exhibit B

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @brzvice haha! those pictures are too much! I hope her toy kitchen will give you a little space in the real kitchen.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • I was thinking about a kitchen also but H thought it was strange and asked why. I really didn't have an answer lol. And yes that is all too familiar but those pics are cute!  Anyone have one of those mini recliner looking chairs?  I've seen pics with babies sitting in them looking chill. S is all over the place so I wonder if I'd be wasting my money. 
  • @Ladybug2821 I also was thinking about buying one those little chair/sofas but was wondering the same thing.

My MIL bought the Fur Real Roarin Tyler, I think V will like like it even though its for 3+. She loves kittys and constantly makes a roar noise when she sees tigers/lions. I will let you all know come Christmas how she likes it

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My LO has a kitchen and a little chair. She loves both of them!!
  • @brzvice Those pictures have brightened up my night! Oh my goodness, she kills me haha My boys aren't allowed in the kitchen period. Baby gate is up unless it's nap time or bedtime for the night. I stub my toes every day on the gate, but I can say with 100% honesty that I prefer that over the devastation they can cause!

Johnny LOVES little chairs, my aunt has one just his size that he adores when we visit her, which came as a shock to me since he's such a busy-body. I'm kind of at a lass toy-size other than books and a leap frog. Honestly, they have more fun playing inside of boxes than anything else. We have a collection of diaper boxes that we keep their toys in, but they just dump out all the toys and get I side the boxes!

@kmolleltz I am stealing your idea of a paper tree! That is absolutely brilliant! Tree problem solved. 

I'm braving cyber Monday tomorrow, hopefully I'll just stumble onto some good finds for good prices.
  • @AllyTheKid Definitely let us know if you find something good. 

I put up the tree, just the tree and the lights it comes with, none of the decorations. S just pointed at it and screamed a few times. So far she hasn't messed with it. Hoping it'll stay that way once the decor goes up. 
  • Oh yeah, I made out like a bandit with cyber Monday deals. Got both big kids a new tablet with fancy schmancy Bluetooth headphones, and got Jimmy and Johnny some toddler learning activities and a Vtech toy t.v. remote that helps them learn to count. I'm not overloading them with toys though, because honestly they'll probably never be as cool to the boys as the boxes they come in.
  • I'm not sure that I made out but I did take advantage of getting an extra 15% off at Target. I got S a Fisher Price Tea Set, a book set, a book about the story of Christmas, and a ride on toy. MIL said she got S a kindle. Ummm isn't that basically just an electronic book?  Not quite sure what she'll be able to do with that. 
  • Well guys Santa came early this year and delivered  me a BFP. V is going to be a Big Sister!! 
    I'm off to Aug 18! I will not be leaving you guys just will be popping on both boards now. Wish me luck- if all goes well V and LO will be 22 Months apart. Definitely will need mom of multiples advice from @AllyTheKid so you guys are stuck with me <3

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Eeeeeeekkkk!!! Congratulations @brzvice ! I am so happy for you and have been thinking about you guys a lot this week! What a wonderful early Christmas gift ❤❤❤ 
  • ahhhh congrats @brzvice !!!
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • Yay!  Congrats @brzvice!  I'm so happy for you!
  • Anybody having a big shindig for Christmas or Christmas Eve, comparable to Thanksgiving?
    We usually have a good sized gathering, but I haven't bothered planning one at all this year. For reasons unknown I've been handed the responsibility of the familial matriarch so everybody sits around waiting for ME to initiate something, but I just don't feel like it this year.
    I don't want to leave everyone hanging, but I had almost zero help with Thanksgiving (did most the cooking, hosted in my house, cleanup was on my shoulders) so I'm not really wanting to put myself through that again. 
    I think I just want to go hang out with my cousins and let my siblings and parents fend for themselves, but I feel guilty about wanting to do that at the same time.
  • Don't feel guilty @AllyTheKid. It's ok to take a break and let someone else handle it every once in awhile. I normally have everyone over for Christmas and pretty much do it all myself also. I'm still doing it at my house this year but it will be for a smaller crowd had usual. 
  • @AllyTheKid if you hosted Thanksgiving I think it's an automatic torch pass to someone else to cover Christmas duties. You can assist and maybe make A dish but  you definitely shouldn't have to solo it all again.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks ladies- Is there a delicate way to pass it off and hint that I want somebody else to take over, or would it be best to just come straight out with it given the timeline? There is less than two weeks to plan now so... You know.
  • I would just casually ask "Where are we having Christmas this year?" to the person you best see fit/would be most willing and understanding to take over the hosting gig. See how they react and if it's a negative reaction just be honest and work out a plan to downsize the festivities by making it a potluck style, a gift limit per person etc. to simplify things.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I would be straight forward just because I would want it to be completely clear that I'm not doing it. I would worry that if I asked, that person would say well aren't you doing it?  Then i'd feel like I'd get roped into doing it. 
  • My aunt said she wants to do BYOS (bring your own steaks) at her house. That works great, I told my siblings, my middle brother is bringing a ham, I'm going to invite my parents, and then that's settled. Hooray! What a relief!
  • Our paper Christmas tree is up! 
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • brzvicebrzvice member
    edited December 2017
    @AllyTheKid love the idea of BYOS. Seems like a lot less clean up to grill then use the whole kitchen. Enjoy the cuz time! 
    @kmolleltz yesss! The tree looks great Mama. An evergreen tree in Tanzania who would have thought?! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • We're putting up our tree tomorrow, he decided he simply can't go another year without it up haha that's fine. He made a custom baby gate to keep the boys away from it, so why not.
  • I started my tree the weekend after thanksgiving and finished it the weekend after.  So far so good with S not really messing with it. I did keep the bottom pretty bare so she couldn't get the ornaments. 

@brzvice I never even mentioned it but my mom's friend bought S one of those chairs. It is so cute. She sits in it sometimes. Hopefully when she gets older she will be more interested. 

• brzvicebrzvice member
    edited December 2017
    @Ladybug2821 your tree looks great, Love the simple color scheme and the bows! 
    S is so studious in her big girl chair and reading her book. So sweet <3
    SIL ended up getting V the Minnie mouse pullout sofa for toddlers. I will post a pic of her on it after Christmas

ETA- those zip up jammies are precious too

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've seen some fake trees around town. Maybe we will go that route next year. It was so cute having T color the white ornaments. He drew him and Abigail on one and I almost died of cuteness. Hah
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • We just blocked off this area behind the couch for our designated tree haven.

@kmolleltz I'm still loving that paper tree!
    @Ladybug2821 I love the purple! I sometimes want to try teal if I can find it for my tree, but tradition always wins. S looks so studious in her little chair, love it :)
  • @AllyTheKid very pretty, love the lighting in the photo. Btw Those crochet stockings are awesome!

I'm a scroogy mcscrooge this year because my entire family has been sick basically since December 1st and picking up the tree is a family ordeal ( dad has the truck) so I am twiddling my thumbs waiting to see if a tree will come to fruition this year. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @brzvice My mom made them! They were mine and my sibling's since we were babies, now they've been passed onto my kids :)

I was being Scroogey and didn't want to put up the tree at first, but I gave in once he offered to make a fence and pull everything out. 
    We have a fake tree and aren't sick though, if I were in your shoes I'd probably still be Scrooging. I hope everybody starts feeling better soon, especially before the holidays!
  • Merry Christmas!

• Merry Christmas sweet girl!