December 2017 Moms
Options

Swelling

How is everyone's swelling these days? I haven't worn my wedding rings since August and I recently went to an infant CPR class and noticed everyone was still wearing their rings.... I feel bad like in some way I'm not respecting DH and I's marriage, but its just not going to happen.
Also, How is everyone doing with shoes? Now that its getting colder I'm still at a loss of how to cram my pudgy feet into warm shoes to go to work. I can wear jeans to work which is nice, but today had to squeeze into a pair of Keds.... Any ideas on how to keep my swollen feet toasty while still not wearing slippers? How is everyone else dealing with swelling? 
BabyFetus Ticker Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Swelling

• Options
    I only have it if im on my feet for long periods but other than that i haven't had much....maybe because i dont move around a-whole lot. Last time i went to hospital for mentoring of blood pressure shes like oh you've got some swelling and im like nope, sry to disappoint but thats just the pudgy padding on the top of my foot lol. 

I usually soak in epsom salt if it gets annoying and that seems to help me out. 
  • Options
    @abcola don't feel bad about your rings. with swelling in particular, i've definitely seen that YMMV. not to mention, some people just have rings that are a little too big most of the time (so, room to accomodate some pregnancy pudge). 

as backwards as it sounds, DON'T cut out all salt, and DRINK as much water as you can. i still recommend compression stockings, although wrestling them on my legs each morning is a serious, serious challenge. like olympics-level accomplishment. try to elevate your feet when you can, even if it's just to knee level. don't stand for long periods of time. 

what region are you in? (re: needing warm and toasty feet)

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @anewadventure I'm in North Texas, which isn't terribly cold, but I still wouldn't want to wear open toed shoes... I guess warm/toasty is relative... 
    BabyFetus Ticker Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I have had swelling in my feet/ankles on and off since September.  I bought compression socks and they have helped a ton.  I second @anewadventure . Getting them on and off is difficult, but totally worth it.  I'm in New Jersey and the temps are dropping rapidly, but I'm still wearing flip flops to work since they are the most comfortable.  FYI, I got the compression socks with the exposed toes so I could wear sandals.  

Recently, my fingers, particularly around the knuckles, have become swollen and my doctor recommended that I stop wearing my rings.  He said he has countless stories of women having to get their wedding rings cut off due to swelling. My husband understands and would rather me be comfortable with my rings intact instead of having them get cut in half.

If you can't wear flip flops, or it's too cold for you, I would recommend the sketchers flats or something similar.  You can even go up a half or full size or get a wide fit so they will be comfortable.  I would definitely avoid any shoe that needs to be tied since that is also a tremendous feat nowadays. Good luck!
  • Options
    Surprisingly my feet have been fine, but I had to give up my rings about 2 weeks ago, same as with DS. I might be able to squeeze them on here and there, but it's just not worth the risk of needing them cut off if I leave them too long. I have a silicone ring that I normally wear for work that has become my day-to-day alternative, maybe get one of those? Mine was like $10 for 6 on amazon. 
    All my swelling is in my crotch haha. I don't even like to look down there anymore because it looks like someone else's... I hate it. Epsom salt baths seem to help with generalized swelling, but it doesn't relieve it completely. Keeping tabs on sugar does help too, which I have not been doing with all of the halloween candy. And like @anewadventure said, I find my swelling is at it's BEST when I am well hydrated, so keep chugging water!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    If you feel odd going ringless, I second the recommendation of a silicone ring!
  • Options
    I had to stop wearing my rings about two weeks ago. Ive been managing in flip flops and sandals, but I’m in Ohio and it’s getting pretty cold for that. I only have three weeks left and I REALLY don’t want to buy new shoes. I guess I’m going to just have to suffer with cold feet for awhile, haha. 
    Me 29 I Him 26
    Married 4/22/16
    TTC 9/2015
    **TW**
    BFP 2/1/16 I MC 3/21/16 (11w)
    TTCAL 6/15/16
    BFP 3/23/2017 Team pink! Quinn Leigh EDD December 1, 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    peachy13peachy13 member
    edited November 2017
    I started swelling right around 29 weeks in mid Sept. It's my feet, ankles, and fingers. I have a small batch of shoes that fit and now that it's getting chilly (30 degrees in Boston today ah), it's becoming more of a challenge. Slip-on flats are great, and I've been trying to wear tights and dresses so the tops of my feet feel warm with the flats. If I wear sneakers, I will wear compression socks which help. I ordered these from Amazon not too long ago and they've been good (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5LOWIK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Otherwise, I find there's not a TON I can do. There's stuff that helps temporarily, but then the swelling comes back and you just have to shrug. Somethings that helps in the moment though are elevating your feet, swimming, and massaging -- especially with lotion and essential oils like tea tree oil or lavender oil. I will do this after the shower when my skin is dry, and the lotion and oil feels wonderful. I did have a prenatal massage a few weeks ago and they really took care of my ankles, to the point where my feet looked normal! Of course it only lasted for a few hours, but it was awesome.

ETA: oh, forgot to mention my rings. A few mom friends of mine said that it's not a good idea to wear your rings to the hospital since they pump you with fluids there. Last thing I want to deal with while in labor is trying to get my rings off my fat fingers or worse - worrying about having to cut off my rings if it's really a problem. My wedding band is tight but removable if I work at it, but my engagement ring is really on there. I actually took it off last night but it was pretty painful and took me about 15-20 minutes in the shower with conditioner to remove it. I'm glad it's off and relieved I don't have to worry about it come labor time.
    Me: 33 DH: 34
    Married: Oct 2015
    TTC #1: Sept 2016
    BFP: 10/19/16 ~ blighted ovum ~ D&C 11/23/16
    BFP: 3/24/17   <3  DD1 born 12/2/17
    TTC #2: July 2018
    BFP: 8/26/18 <3  DD2 born 5/16/19

• Options
    failuretoflyfailuretofly member
    edited November 2017
    @jlemons-2 well I haven't attempted to in a couple weeks :D haha but even then it looked alien, I am sure it's not much better now! (potentially worse!)

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @abcola I've hAd my rings off since July. The heat and humidity was making me swell so bad I was scared they would get stuck!  As far as shoes, I've been wearing slippers at home and slip on flats when I leave the house.  They aren't warm and we finally have some cold weather but I've been a hot box so it hasn't bothered me yet. I don't know what I'm gonna do if it snows though. 
    DH: 34 | Me: 35
    DS1 9/24/13
    DX Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Factor V Leiden Mutation, Secondary Infertility
    MFI (SA #1
    Count 11mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    MFI (SA #2Count 7 mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    Oct. 2016: Clomid + TI
    IVF: ER 3/1/17; 5 retrieved, 3 mature & fertilized
    Results: 2 PGS normal embryos
    Planned on August 2017 transfer
    **TW**
    Natural BFP 4/3/17,Expecting baby boy via RCS 12/7/17

• Options
    jlemons-2 said:
    @failuretofly you can see your crotch??? 
    Lol spit out my water when I read this 
    DS1 9/24/13
    MFI (SA #1
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    **TW**

• Options
    @abcola --I wear my wedding rings on a chain around my neck. Also, I recommend Sketchers with memory foam--stretchy and super comfy.

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • Options
    I bought those rubber rings to wear. I haven't been able to my wedding since May 
  • Options
    I haven't noticed any swelling yet, but I appreciate the tip to leave the wedding ring at home, since labor/delivery is a crazy experience and who knows what will happen!
  • Options
    Umm I have shrek feet all of a sudden..I'm assuming this is normal? Lol  

DS1 9/24/13
    MFI (SA #1
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    **TW**

• Options
    @Marley629 my feet can be pretty swollen at the end of the day, but I would probably go for a blood pressure check if that just started happening out of nowhere!
  • Options
    I had horrible swelling with dd1. My hands and feet were ridiculous. She also was taken at 38.3 due to high BP and Risk of preeclampsia. I have had very minimal swelling this go around. It’s so weird how two pregnancies can be so different. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @Marley629 I told the DH last night look at how huge my feet have gotten and he about fell out of bed when he saw them. (They look like yours maybe even worse) anyways i told him if I could even get my feet in high heels they would have that fat roll out. Like this and DH couldn't stop laughing. I told him it wasn't funny. 
  • Options
    Aww @weaver15!! lol glad im not alone with my flintstone feet but sorry you are dealing with it too! 
    DS1 9/24/13
    MFI (SA #1
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    **TW**

• Options
    @Marley629 Out of 4 pregnancies, this is the first time I ever had swelling
  • Options
    weaver15 said:
    @Marley629 Out of 4 pregnancies, this is the first time I ever had swelling
    Yea I didn't swell with DS1 either even though I gained 40lbs more with him than this one. It's very true that every pregnancy is so different! 
    DS1 9/24/13
    MFI (SA #1
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    **TW**