Infertility

Another IVF cycle got cancelled - low ovarian reserve?

Hi All,

Our third attempt at IVF got cancelled yesterday, on Day3 (again!) due to low follicle count and high FSH (18). We've been trying for about 3 years and had tried 3 IUIs (with clomid) earlier this year. None worked. We took a few months break to get ourselves ready (mentally) for IVF. Finally, we accepted we cant get pregnant naturally, or with IUI so we moved onto IVF. Our first attempt got cancelled at Day3 due to low follicle count (7) and high FSH (11). At the second attempt they saw 11 follicles and my FSH was ok, so we started. After 12 days of high doses of stims (follistim +menopur), only 3 follicles grew. We didn't go forward with retrieval because of the low chances and the fact that we cant afford to pay for multiple IVFs. Still we spent over $6K just for that. That cycle got converted to IUI which again didnt work. We went in yesterday to start the 3 IVF cycle and learned the heart breaking news. 

My doctor never tells me anything, just we'll try again blah blah. He is a very good doctor with very bad communication. I know multiple people who went to him and got pregnant at the first try.  He didn't diagnose me with anything. But, from what I understand I have DOR (diminished ovarian reserve) and we are completely devastated.  We cried all day yesterday, thinking it will never work and we'll never be parents. I dont know what to do, feel completely lost. Even if we try IVF again, or attempt, what if it will be the same. What if my body will never be ready or wont grow follicles. I can't take the pain anymore. I feel like I should accept that I will never have a child of my own. Has any of you went through the same thing? Were you successful with IVF? Did you do anything differently? any supplements or alternative medicine? Please help. 

Re: Another IVF cycle got cancelled - low ovarian reserve?

• I'm sorry that you have such a struggle @Ilky.  I have DOR and we did three egg retrievals none of which resulted in a transferable embryo.  We are now doing IVF with donor eggs and I feel hopeful for the first time in a long time.  
    History and blog link in spoiler
    2016 - dx with super low ovarian reserve; failed cycle with clomid, failed IUI, 
    2017 - egg retrieval #1 - 3 eggs, 0 embryos appropriate for transfer; ER #2 2 eggs, 0 embryos on day 3; ER #3 1 egg 0 embryos
    moved to donor egg in summer 2017; 35 eggs retrieved; 19 fertilized; 9 total embryos
    Fresh transfer Dec 2017= BFP!  baby boy born 8/22/18

May 2019 - surprise natural pregnancy ended in MC
    Nov 2019 FET; MC at 9 weeks
    May 2020 FET; BFN
    July 2020 FET; CP treated with methotrexate
    Oct 2020 BFP! 

Take a look at my blog

• @Ilky So so very sorry you've had to endure all of this! I just added wheatgrass to my supplements, as I saw some people that swore it helps them get healthy viable embryos after they tried multiple times. It's natural, so figured it was worth a shot. I ordered the Amazing Grass brand in supplements; as I doubt I would take actual shots or would be good with it daily. 
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    2017 - Medicated Cycles & IUI's
    IVF w/ PGS  - January 2018
    FET #1 - April 2018 - BFN
    ERA Cycle May / June 2018
    ERA Biopsy June 2018 ~ Results: receptive (no change)
    FET #2 - July 2018 - BFP <3 Beta #1 - 137 Beta #2 - 410
    U/S #1 7wk1d - HB 144 U/S #2 9w1d HB 166
    Anatomy Scan 1st 11/2/18 2nd AS 11/19
    EDD March 28, 2019
    Baby Girl born 3/26/19  <3

• Loading the player...
  • @ilky- so sorry you are in this situation. My siggy has all my details, but I also had a cancelled IVF and two failed IVFs. However, on my third, I did get significantly more follicles/eggs doing estrogen priming and antagonist. Have they tried different protocols for your IVFs? with DOR, its usually not good to do any birth control before. Can I ask what your AMH is? You may want to join us on the low AMH thread, as we have experience with poor response to IVF. I also switched REs to get my best cycle. I have been treated by a total of 3 REs and had consults with another two. I would reco a second opinion for sure. Don't give up yet. I think its worth trying at least one retrieval, even with a few eggs, if you can afford it. If you only have one shot at this financially, donor egg may be something to consider. Its definitely not an easy thing to accept, but i have hope again i will be a mother since our DE cycle gave twelve frozen blasts!
    History in Spoiler

Age: 32 (same with DH). Together since 2006, Married June 2013 and TTC since August 2015
    Diagnosis: Mild Endo, DOR (AMH of 1.5), Poor Quality Eggs/embryos, Displaced Window of Implantation (ERA Post Receptive)
    March-May 2016: 1 TI and 2 IUIs- BFN 
    June 2016- Laproscopy- found/removed mild endo and confirmed only 1 normal healthy ovary.
    August 2016- IVF #1 with Antagonist Protocol- Cancelled (2 lead follies), converted to IUI- BFN
    Oct-Nov 2016- IVF #2 with Estrogen Priming Micro Lupron Protocol, 2 eggs retrieved, day 3 transfer of 1- BFN
    January 2017- New RE, IVF#3 with Estrogen Priming Antagonist Protocol, 12 eggs, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, 2 day 5 early blasts transferred (none to freeze :(), BFN
    May 2017- Sept 2017- Starting Donor Egg process! Waiting for donor to be available... and then she is pregnant at baseline :(
    Oct 2017- Donor #2: 25R, 22M,18F, 12 blasts frozen! Fresh transfer cancelled due to thin lining with fluid :(
    Nov 2017- Hysterscopy to remove polyp
    Dec 2017- DE FET #1 on 12/8 on 2 perfect blasts- BFN and devastated
    Jan-Mar 2018- ERA #1- Post receptive by 24 hours, ERA #2 RECEPTIVE with 4 days of Progesterone
    Apr 2018- DE FET cancelled for lining issues :(
    Jun 2018- DE FET #2 of two 1AA blasts- first BFP ever! Beta 10dp5dt- 378, Beta 14dp5dt- 2840, Beta 16dp5dt- 4035, beta 18dp5dt- 10916. Due on 2/20 with one baby after a vanishing twin
    Baby Born born early @ 33.5 weeks due to Pre-e
    Back for # 2!
  • Thank you ladies! @JamieH2000 my doctor doesnt do AMH, but relies on follicle count and FSH. He said he would not change the protocol next time (i was on antagonist). I was not on birth control nor estrogen priming. He doesn't really explain things and sometimes I dont even see him (on the weekends). So I just talked to the nurse yesterday who said come back in January (their lab is closed in last few weeks of December!!!) :( I will check out the AMH thread. Thank you!
  • dragonette505dragonette505 member
    edited November 2017
    @ilky I'm so sorry you are going through this... but It really sounds like a second opinion would be of value to you.... I am not a fan of doctors who don't communicate and educate. It would be one thing if it worked the first try... you can just move on with your life and have your baby. But since it hasn't, I think it would make sense to have a better Idea of why your doctor thinks his approach has not been successful for you and what value further treatments with no alterations would get you. If that approach hasn't gotten you to retrieval not once, why would you do the exact same thing again? It is already awful to have to go through IVF and we should have the amount of support and information we need to make informed decisions about moving forward... 
  • @dragonette505 you are so right. My doctor is one of the best in the area. He is all business but knows his job, so I thought I'll just let him control the process. But, you made a good point about expecting different results for the same protocol... I should research other doctors. 
  • @kristimh80 hi there! We talked a lot earlier this year when we were going through IUIs. I'm happy to see you but really sorry that you are still here. I was hoping everyone I talked months ago are already happily pregnant :( 
  • So sorry to hear you’re going through this! It must be incredibly heartbreaking and so disappointing. This is stressful, emotional, and expensive enough without continually getting cancelled. I would also recommend getting a second opinion. It’s hard to get appointments at new places so at least call and get your name on the books somewhere else - you can always cancel! Try to stay hopeful even though it’s hard. We are all here for you! Hope 2018 will be your year!
    TTC #1
    dx: DOR
    8 cycles Clomid (1 BFP & MC)
    3 failed IUIs (Follistim & Trigger)
    IVF #1
  • Ilky said:
    @dragonette505 you are so right. My doctor is one of the best in the area. He is all business but knows his job, so I thought I'll just let him control the process. But, you made a good point about expecting different results for the same protocol... I should research other doctors. 
    You could also talk to think doctor about changing his protocol with you... I would do both... second opinion (or third... ive done that too!!) and at the same time while you are still with this doctor tell him you would like to alter your protocol to see if anything changes.
  • @ilky- If you want to research REs for a second opinion, you could check out www.fertilityiq.com and get reviews of the REs in your area. There is also a facebook group- Low AMH/DOR sisterhood that is very active and has tons of info about supplements/protocols/REs etc.  It sucks to wait until January, but maybe you can squeeze in some second opinions in Dec since I think the REs are a little more available since they don't have patients cycling as much before the holiday shutdown.
    History in Spoiler

Age: 32 (same with DH). Together since 2006, Married June 2013 and TTC since August 2015
    Diagnosis: Mild Endo, DOR (AMH of 1.5), Poor Quality Eggs/embryos, Displaced Window of Implantation (ERA Post Receptive)
    March-May 2016: 1 TI and 2 IUIs- BFN 
    June 2016- Laproscopy- found/removed mild endo and confirmed only 1 normal healthy ovary.
    August 2016- IVF #1 with Antagonist Protocol- Cancelled (2 lead follies), converted to IUI- BFN
    Oct-Nov 2016- IVF #2 with Estrogen Priming Micro Lupron Protocol, 2 eggs retrieved, day 3 transfer of 1- BFN
    January 2017- New RE, IVF#3 with Estrogen Priming Antagonist Protocol, 12 eggs, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, 2 day 5 early blasts transferred (none to freeze :(), BFN
    May 2017- Sept 2017- Starting Donor Egg process! Waiting for donor to be available... and then she is pregnant at baseline :(
    Oct 2017- Donor #2: 25R, 22M,18F, 12 blasts frozen! Fresh transfer cancelled due to thin lining with fluid :(
    Nov 2017- Hysterscopy to remove polyp
    Dec 2017- DE FET #1 on 12/8 on 2 perfect blasts- BFN and devastated
    Jan-Mar 2018- ERA #1- Post receptive by 24 hours, ERA #2 RECEPTIVE with 4 days of Progesterone
    Apr 2018- DE FET cancelled for lining issues :(
    Jun 2018- DE FET #2 of two 1AA blasts- first BFP ever! Beta 10dp5dt- 378, Beta 14dp5dt- 2840, Beta 16dp5dt- 4035, beta 18dp5dt- 10916. Due on 2/20 with one baby after a vanishing twin
    Baby Born born early @ 33.5 weeks due to Pre-e
    Back for # 2!
  • @Ilky - I'm so sorry you are going through this. A third cancelled cycle would be devastating. That said, I wouldn't give up until getting a second opinion. I agree with PP.

Good luck to you! Hang in there!
  • @Ilky Yes, I remember you from this Summer on here too! I took a break from the boards, but was happy to see a familair face despite it all :) I took a long break from medicated cycles and got a 2nd opinion, etc so just now getting back into the swing of it all. My heart breaks for you, for everything you've had to endure. ((hugs))
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• Thank you lovely ladies. This is great information. I'll look into getting a second opinion. My doctor said he wont change the protocol and thinks I'm on the best suitable protocol (natural AF, day 3 scan and blood test, max dose follistim and add menopur later on). he said the other protocols will further suppress my ability to produce eggs. 
    Some days I lose all hope and want to quit, but other days I'm hopeful as ever. Today is one of those days and I'm hopeful and praying all of us get our babies very soon. xoxox 
  • @Ilky I think I recognize your SN from the IUI threads in the spring. I don't have much advice as I'm just starting my first IVF cycle, but I think the other ladies here gave you some good advice. I'd definitely check out a second opinion. I don't have FSH issues but my AMH is low for my age so I've done a little bit of research and reading and have obviously talked to my own RE, and I'm not sure that what your RE has said about your protocol being the only protocol that will work for you is entirely correct. My RE won't put me on BC for suppression because she said it suppresses too much, but she still put me on an estrogen priming protocol (I'm taking Estrace right now, CD 1 expected tomorrow). Also, from reading through the massive AMH thread, it looks as if some of those ladies have tried various different protocols to find the one that was best for them. The Low AMH thread is a landmine of information, btw, so I totally second giving it a thorough read through. If I tried the same protocol 3 times and was cancelled each time, you better bet I'd be asking to try something different. See if you are able to find an RE local to you that has good experience with DOR. I hope you are able to move forward with a plan that you are comfortable with that gives you some renewed hope. Good luck!

@kristimh80 I think I recognize you from the IUI thread too! Unfortunately, I think we both left around the same time due to having CPs. Glad to see you're back and moving forward! Good luck!

Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• @tosh24 Yes!!! Hi again! Good to see you around! I started IVF the beginning of January, so won't be too far behind you :) 
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• @Ilky I remember you from the IUI boards and I’m so sorry you’ve had canceled cycles. It sounds like you are working really hard to stay positive. I had a good doctor and trusted her at first. I got a second opinion and found out she was missing a lot and went with a different RE for IVF. I’m really glad I did. You will do the right thing for the next steps and you know best. It’s really fun to see a familiar face even though being here is brutal. 
    • Me: 36 DH: 33
    • TTC since June 2016
    • Me: PCOS DH: Morphology 1%
    • 3 TI with Famera and trigger shots-BFN
    • 3 IUI's with Famera and trigger shots- BFN
    • IVF August 2017 25 eggs retrieved, 19 mature, 13 fertilized (ICSI), 5 frozen, 3 PGS normal 
    • FET November 2017 Transferred one 6 day blast (a little GIRL) BFP EDD 8/4/18