March 2018 Moms
Options

Book Recommendations

I'm a person who likes to read for comfort/confidence, especially during the more challenging times in my life. I'm also trying to spend less time on the internet. So, I'm curious: 

What have you read, or what are you reading/planning to read to prepare yourself for late pregnancy, birth, and baby-raising? 

Re: Book Recommendations

• Options
    If you're interested in reading about a more med free, intervention free sort of theory this is a good one:  https://www.amazon.com/Ina-Mays-Guide-Childbirth-Gaskin/dp/0553381156/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510585103&sr=8-1&keywords=ina+may+gaskin
  • Options
    orbmakerorbmaker member
    edited November 2017

• Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Garten is a classic that's been recommended to me a few times over. ETA @antoto, my friend's sister just gave this to me!
    • Nurture: A Modern Guide to Pregnancy, Birth, and Early Motherhood by Erica Chidi Cohen... just started this, and I like it a lot so far! Seems like Doula-in-Book-Form for someone who might be interested in hiring a doula, but can't afford one.
    • The Philosophical Baby: What Children's Minds Tell Us About Truth, Love, and the Meaning of Life by Alison Gopnik was an interesting glimpse into baby/toddler behavior/psychology/neuroscience!
    • The First Forty Days by Heng Ou is a book about self-care/other-care for mothers in the post-partum period. I haven't read the whole thing, but I sent it to a friend before she delivered in October and she said it was helpful!
    ETA: Same friend just mentioned said she wished she had prepared more for breastfeeding, having focused so much on birthing during her pregnancy. Can anyone recommend a good breastfeeding reference?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @DDRRT1982 Also loved & read Raising Elijah prior to TTC. Changed my life! I'll look into these others you mentioned. Have also heard good things about Simplicity Parenting and How to Talk So Kids Will Listen & Listen So Kids Will Talk.
  • Options
    DDRRT1982DDRRT1982 member
    edited November 2017
    @orbmaker I read Simplicity Parenting when I transitioned to a more minimalism lifestyle.  It definitely impacted me in a positive way.  I highly recommend that book.  I love the title of the other book you recommended.  Basically describes my goals in it's title.  I will put it on my list.  Thanks!

Edit wrong word
  • Options
    @DDRRT1982 They have apparently come out with versions adapted to "little" kids and teens, as well. I think the original book is aimed at school-age children. 
  • Options
    I'm planning on reading Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth, as well as Birthing from Within. I've heard The Birth Partner is really great, too. The only books I've read consistently so far have been Expecting Better and the Mayo Clinic's Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy. A client who is 34 weeks with her second recommended Baby Led Weaning and The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. 
  • Options
    Oh, although it's not specifically a book about parenting/childbirth, my mom gave me Daring Greatly by Brene Brown and said that the section on parenting was wonderful. It's next on my list.
  • Options
    Oh also I love this other book - lots of birth stories.  It's definitely not instructional - it's a auto biography of a nurse midwife and it's a WONDERFUL read.  If you like reading birth stories and like the hippie vibe then I highly recommend "Baby Catcher"

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Catcher-Chronicles-Modern-Midwife/dp/0743219341/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510592865&sr=8-1&keywords=baby+catcher
  • Options
    @orbmaker The only breastfeeding central book I came across is Breastfeeding Take Two. It's written by a woman who exclusively pumped with her preemie son, and then breastfeeding with her second child. However, it can be helpful 1st pregnancies as well because the focus is on educating about breastfeeding and tips for a successful breastfeeding relationship. I found the section that went through specific interventions that can/do happen in during labor and their effect on the hormonal process of having your milk come in to be the most helpful. 

Spoiler alert - it doesn't speak favorably for any sort of interventions, and leans anti-formula (not like starve your child, but says it's not the biologically best nutrition for your baby). She's not anti-intervention because obviously the health and safety of mom/baby are most important. It's written more to educate moms on the impact it can have on starting breastfeeding. I would say she is anti voluntary intervention though. So, I'd take it for what it's worth. The other main thing in it is moving away from "Breast is best" to "breast is normal" [in a biological sense] as a tag line for breastfeeding. 

DS:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnant with #2: 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    1. AAP puts out a book that is amazing. It's basically everything your peditrician would say in a big, thick reference book. Not saying it replaces pedi visits, but it was so helpful to know "Is this a call NOW thing or call in the morning thing?" The book states the official AAP positions on most topics which was so helpful for me. 

2. I second Womanly Art of BF. I skimmed it during pregnancy and I attribute that book to our continued nursing relationship (My son just turned 2). Never thought I would be going that long, but here we are. We dealt with slow weight gain, Csection recovery, NICU stay, tongue tie, lip tie and the works. Throughout it all, this book taught me that it's most important to feed and care for my baby. One way of feeding is not superior. Being fed is superior. 

Somehow, that gave us the strength to keep nursing bc we weren't so bogged down with feeling bad about formula. If we used it, great, my son was fed. If he nursed, great, he was fed. 

3. I highly DISrecommend "Husband Coached Childbirth" by Dr Bradley. Throw that horse manure in the garbage. It offered nothing in terms of method and was a big "here's how nature gives birth" lesson. The few method tips it does offer meant nothing in the face of labor and my husband and I were very ill prepared. Horse manure is better than this book. Sorry to those it may offend. 
  • Options
    Innntttterrrrrressssttttttinggggg about the Bradley book.  My old chiro teaches this course, and it is very very time consuming so we weren't able to do it, but now I'm glad I didn't waste the time! 
    ***March '18 October Siggy Challenge: Halloween Costume Fails***

• Options
    I don't think anyone has said this and sorry if it's been posted before, but just FYI for anyone who completed an Amazon registry and wants a free kindle copy of Mayo Clinic's "First Year" click "pick a free ebook" under "exclusive offers" on your registry page and it's one of the options listed there.