July 2018 Moms

Let’s talk vehicles...

I currently have a Grand Cherokee which absolutely does not have as much room in the back seat as one would expect. Thinking about upgrading to an SUV with a 3rd row, but do not want to sacrifice the ample trunk space. Also considering a minivan, but not sure if it’s necessary for two kiddos. Thoughts and recommendations? 

Re: Let’s talk vehicles...

• I loved having my minivan! I miss it everyday. I am thinking with this third kid I am going to get one again. It was so roomy and easy to get the kids in and out, especially when people park too close to me. I had the Honda minivan. I loved all the features it had.   
  • I’ve heard good things about vans. I personally love my Ram 1500. I have a bed cover so I don’t worry about not enough storage and the back seat is huge.

We have two sleeping beauties in heaven.
    Jack gained his wings on 09/02/2016. 
    Kali gained her wings on 07/28/2015.
    They will be forever missed. <3
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I’ve heard good things about vans. I personally love my Ram 1500. I have a bed cover so I don’t worry about not enough storage and the back seat is huge.
    We got rid of the van for a F150, but of course my husband always wanted to drive it so I would get stuck with the car! It was nice, but between the two I would still lean towards a van. 
  • hillbillywifehillbillywife member
    edited November 2017
    We had a older grand Cherokee and I about panicked when my second was born because our infant seat didn’t really fit in the back seat. We made it work but it was very tight and the passenger seat had to be pushed forward quite a bit. 

We have an (old) suburban now and I love it so much. It’s giant but I like all the space it offers! 

ETA I almost had myself talked into a minivan. They have good fuel economy, definitely easy to use/drive. I probably would have gone that route if the surburban didn’t come up 
  • We currently have two Toyota 4Runner Limiteds - mine has the third row, DH’s doesn’t. Definitely limited trunk space when the third row is utilized (basically never). At some point in the next couple years, DH will upgrade his car to a Yukon XL or similar. I’ll keep my 4Runner - it’s a 2016 and I think it has adequate space for 2 kids (we are 2 and done). 

Lab Mom (x2): Sept/Oct 2014 
    Married: August 2015
    DS: Nov 2016 (36w)
    Baby H #2: July2018 (Team Pink!)

• I should also mention I live where it snows for quite a few months. Some of my friends who have vans have issues in snow, so when researching vans if you live where it snows make sure to research how it does.

We have two sleeping beauties in heaven.
    Jack gained his wings on 09/02/2016. 
    Kali gained her wings on 07/28/2015.
    They will be forever missed. <3
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    We have a 2013 Ram 1500 that I LOVE. We also have a 2002 Galant that we're going to need to replace this winter. I would love to get another Ram but we can't afford two car payments so I've been looking at getting a used Escape or something similar we can just pay cash for. 
  • Granted I don’t have one:
    Dodge Durangos look huge these days. From the pictures ive seen they look pretty spacious in the back seat. 
    It looks like the storage would be HUGE without the third row, but could probably be big with the third row. Also, you could get a rack for the top if you’re ever needing more. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I love, love, love my mini van. I actually drove one in college, because that's what was available to me, and it was great then and even better now with a kid. It makes nannying easier, and will make having two kids of my own much easier. They are just so convenient beyond the seating, and they're comfortable to get in and out of which is big for me. I'm from a Honda family, so I went for a Honda Odyssey. Hondas are super reliable and will continue to run pretty much until there's nothing left, I'm talking up into the 350,000 miles range where most makes are only to 200,000. I've always had used Hondas, too, and they've all done really well. 
    Ziggy       <3 07/2018-08/2018 <3
    Micah      <3 10/2015
    #recurrentpregnancylossawareness
  • I brought this up to DH last week! I have a Toyota compact sedan (that I love), he has a Honda Element (that I don't like driving -because the seat belt lays across my neck, so I have to tuck it under my armpit).

We're thinking about getting me a Subaru or Volkswagen station wagon. We have two medium-large dogs and I don't want them to sit on the baby when I'm taking them to the groomers, or vet. We don't need a mini van, and I don't like SUVs  :/

I hope I can find a good used car in the summer!
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • I have a Jeep Liberty and I love it. I don’t think I’ll have any problem fitting 2 littles and all their gear, but it was an upgrade from a 2 door Toyota so it’s huge compared. I really liked the Ford Edge while I was looking. 
  • I have 3 boys, 2 in booster seats and one in a convertible seat. I had a 4Runner for 11 years until earlier this year. My main issue was needing to access the 3rd row by walking through. 4Runners have a 3rd row but the 2nd row is bench seating so you’re stepping on or climbing over to get to the 3rd row. Just wasn’t feasible. I’m not a HUGE car person and I’m definitely NOT a mini van person. Everyone wanted me to get a Tahoe but I didn’t want that kind of payment. We ended up getting a Highlander. BEST DECISION EVER! Love love love it, so functional! We have the second row captains seats so the boys can walk back to the 3rd row where there’s plenty of room for them. There’s also plenty of trunk space available when the third row is being used, which is always for us. I couldn’t be happier. If you’re serious in looking for a new vehicle and want to know more about the highlanders space and function I’ll take pics and show you what it’s like loaded down with kids. We love it !
  • We just purchased (back in May) a Chevy Cruze, and we also have a Chevy Sonic, for us these will work pretty good, since this is only baby #1, and then the next time we go looking for vehicles we'll be looking into an SUV, but there will be plenty of time before that happens. 
    Me: 34 DH: 33
    DD: 07/19/18
    EDD: 06/22/22
  • @4deep I would definitely be interested in seeing photos if you end up taking them. I've been looking into the Highlander, I don't necessarily need a 3rd row now but would be nice to have if/when we decide to have a 3rd. The captain seats would be ideal but it looks like only the new Highlander's have that option? I would be buying used, likely 2014-2017. 

Right now I drive a small sedan/compact. I'm sure I could fit the infant and convertible, honestly not sure about two convertibles though. And definitely not enough trunk space for a double stroller. My H drives a Subaru Forester and I know that's big enough (barely) for 2 kids and a dog, so we can get by with that and just keep my car for commuting, but I like the flexibility of either of us being able to drive the kids without having to pre plan who is driving which car. I'm torn. We don't have any payments for my car, and adding a car payment right now isn't ideal, but we could swing it. And if we have a third kid, we'll definitely have to swap out one of our cars for something bigger, and waiting will just mean less trade in value. Lots to think about! 
  • @ajsanders-2 I have a Cruze as well. I think the trunk space is great, but the back seat is extremely small for us. I nanny a two year old and I have to push my seat up pretty far to accommodate her feet. Have you put an infant carrier in it yet? (probably unlikely, lol, but I've been curious about the space)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @gspmom21 - no not yet. I am still doing my research on what brand of car seat I would want. lol. Our cruze is the car we use most of the time while driving around, and when my husband drives I sit in the passenger seat which I would be able to move up a fairly good amount, I am 5'5' so I can sit pretty far up if need be.
  • @ajsanders-2 That's the same case scenario with us too. I'm 5'3, so I have the leg room.. but I'm just nervous being that close to the airbag. lol Granted I know when we have the little one I will be in the back with him or her, but not when they get bigger. I know we're planning to upgrade vehicles for baby number 2, but baby number 1 will most likely be 2 by then... so a while to be squished in the front.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just brought this up to DH yesterday. I currently drive a Hyundai Elantra. It's pretty roomy, including trunk space. However, I've had my eye on the Hyundai Santa Fe or the Mazda CX5. My mom has the Santa FE and its incredibly roomy. Fits 2 boosters and a car seat without being cramped (2 nephews and 2 nieces who are over all the time). Plus the gas mileage is great. 
    DH has a sports car and has NO plans of getting a "family" car. I guess the plus side to this is that I get to push my car onto him and use his for a freedom drive. :lol:

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• I have a Ford Explorer which is fine for me, but DH has trouble with leg room if our rear facing seat is behind him. My mom has a Chevy Traverse with captains chairs instead of a bench seat and it is very roomy even with the rear facing. 
  • @ajsanders-2 @gspmom21 I have a Chevy Cruz as well- I could fit an infant seat in the middle seat, but the front seats did have to be pushed up a bit. I'm 5'2 so it wasn't an issue for me but DH was not a fan. DS is 2 now and still rear facing but I think the car seat we have now is more compact than the bucket seat, the seats aren't pushed up nearly as much. 
  • @acunamatada - good to know. I have already planned using the middle seat for the car seat already. My DH is 6'0 but he should still be fine. He just leans back his chair more than most people do, so he'll just have to sit up straighter! haha.
  • @ajsanders-2 it was definitely tight but not impossible. I also didn't do much research on the size of the car seat before purchasing it- I'm sure I could have found one a little more compact. I have to say I love my convertible seat though- I researched the crap out of that one and it was one of the most compact for its type. 
  • We just got a minivan last week and looooooove it. I have an Altima and DH had a corvette. No room for three kids in the corvette so he traded it in. 
  • Anyone have a Chevy Traverse?

Tip to FTMs... be very careful with trunk size if you go with a sedan. If I could go back and do it again, I would have made trunk and back seat space a huuuuge factor in my decision
  • gspmom21 said:
    Granted I don’t have one:
    Dodge Durangos look huge these days. From the pictures ive seen they look pretty spacious in the back seat. 
    It looks like the storage would be HUGE without the third row, but could probably be big with the third row. Also, you could get a rack for the top if you’re ever needing more. 
    I’ve been looking at Durango’s with the 2nd row bucket seats, I just wonder how much room is available in the trunk while utiliIizing the 3rd row. I also live in Iowa so need something that gets around decent in the snow. I love my Grand Cherokee but it just does not have the room I expected it to. I would love to hear from a momma that chose a Durango over a van!
  • I've got a Volvo XC90 and utterly love it. Plenty of space and it's been a very reliable/safe ride.
  • @4deep - would definitely love to see pics!! I have a RAV4 (which we purchased 2 days before I found out I was pregnant with our first), but am currently expecting our 3rd, so we will need a new car for sure. I am a Toyota fan, so it's looking like the Highlander or Sienna. I love the idea of the Highlander with the captains chairs, but am nervous about cargo space with the 3rd row. Can you fit strollers? 
  • Same @kat029 I have had Volvo XC90s since I was 16 (always liked me a mom car) and haven’t bought anything different ever since. So much trunk space and option to add a 3rd row. Also incredibly safe. 

• I should also mention I live where it snows for quite a few months. Some of my friends who have vans have issues in snow, so when researching vans if you live where it snows make sure to research how it does.
    I do too, and in my experience any car can do well if people put snow tires on or just really good all-season tires. AWD only helps you get going if it's deep snow, but it does not help you sto or prevent a spin out if you hit a big enough patch of ice. I see Subarus on the side of the road all the time from ppl not being careful. A few years ago my husband and I got caught in a snowstorm unexpectedly and he hadn't put his winter tires on his AWD Subaru WRX (manual trans) yet, and we were sliding EVERYWHERE and it was horrible. The following winter we hit a snowstorm on a road trip and going up this massive hill there were cars and trucks stuck, sliding down hill (backwards), and it was a disaster. My husband's car with winter tires was just about the only car to take through that safely. 

Tldr; If you have snow, snow tires and be careful. Also, get the minivan. No one I know regrets it haha

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • Anyone have a Chevy Traverse?

Tip to FTMs... be very careful with trunk size if you go with a sedan. If I could go back and do it again, I would have made trunk and back seat space a huuuuge factor in my decision
    I have a Traverse and love it! It’s nice to drive and has lots of room. We typically leave the third row folded down for awesome trunk space but can use it when needed. The only thing I’m going to recommend is getting it with captain’s chairs if you can find it (we had a difficult time hence why we settled). Now that number three is on the way they would be a life saver. It can fit three car seats safely in the middle, but it’s going to be too tight for DD to get her hand between the seats to buckle her seatbelt. If she were still in a harness we’d be golden. So, she’ll get bumped to the third row, we’ll leave part of that row folded down, and she’ll crawl in through the rear hatch. Certainly not the most convenient option, but she’ll think it’s great so it works. 
  • @eagregg thanks for letting me know, I had no idea! I went and test drove one yesterday and really liked it. It's huuuge, but that's what I need. I don't want to have to buy another car in 2 years if we have another kid
  • gspmom21 said:
    @ajsanders-2 I have a Cruze as well. I think the trunk space is great, but the back seat is extremely small for us. I nanny a two year old and I have to push my seat up pretty far to accommodate her feet. Have you put an infant carrier in it yet? (probably unlikely, lol, but I've been curious about the space)
    I haven’t read all the way through, so this may have been answered already, but I had a Cruze when DD was born, so I thought I’d chime in. 

The infant seat (we had a graco snugride) fit, but just barely and it was not super comfortable, but possible, to ride in the passenger seat in front of it. We made it work right up until she turned one and we switched to a RF convertible (Britax Boulevard) which there was absolutely not room for. 
  • So h and I both have new cars ( making the surprise pregnancy even more finachially challenging). I have jeep Cherokee and he had a grand Cherokee- he had an older version of the same car with our first and space was okay. I had a Saturn Vue and space was okay. I’m hoping my car works well with two seats in them
  • I have a Toyota minivan and I love it. We just recently traded in a highlander. We are expecting our second and I didn’t think I’d be able to sit in the back with two car seats which I like to do on longer trips. DS is still rearfacing and even in the highlander which is a large suv, the front seat had to be pretty far forward to accommodate the car seat (DS is in a graco extend2fit). We didn’t have the captain chair option in the highlander which may have changed my mind about keeping it, but even so, if we used the third row, there was very little space behind it for strollers or bags. Very happy with the decision to switch to a minivan
  • Anyone ever get a chicco infant seat in a 2 door mini cooper?  I've been able to get my 3 year old nephews car seat in it,  but I'm not sure how a rear facing seat will go.  :|
  • ***lurking from April ‘18***

@eagregg @Crystal321 we have a Traverse and it’s the freaking best. We got our first one when our first child was born about 2.5 years ago, and then upgraded it to a model with captains chairs about 6 months ago (we had since had baby #2). Totally agree that captains chairs are a lifesaver. We’re currently pregnant with baby #3 and there’s no way I could get a kid in the third row with a bench seat in the middle. To echo @eagregg, the captains chairs aren’t super easy to find (and they’re actually a bit more expensive) but it’s so worth shopping around for. 

If you know you’re going to need the space, look at a Traverse for sure. We test drove both Highlanders and Durangos and the Traverse was very noticeably bigger than either of them. 

Good luck! 
  • Thinking about a new vehicle makes me sick! Lol. We just got a brand new F150 last year and I love having a truck!! But with two more on the way, we need something much bigger!! #SixWontFitInAPickUp lol
    we want to get maybe an expedition but they are super pricey. So right now we are just browsing and probably won't make any real choices or really looking till may. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Buying a new car is definitely on our list, I want to save as much as humanly possible and put most, if not all down. I don't want another car payment, so we won't be looking to buy until probably early summer. I want an SUV, even if it's a small one- my lil clown car just won't do with two- DH can have it!
  • DH and I just settled on a Nissan Rogue this summer. This will be our first but there is a ton of room in the back seat. FX there's a good fit when car seats come into the picture. 
  • @kmalls and @eagregg we bought the traverse 1LT with captain chairs last night and I loooove it! Thanks ladies, you were totally on point. We got a ton of bang for our buck and the 2018s look sleek AF