April 2018 Moms

Anyone ever wake up on their tummy?

hi all, I move around a lot in my sleep and woke up on my tummy at some point last night, and wasn't in any pain but didn't feel comfortable. I think I'm being paranoid but does this ever happen to you? Think baby is OK? I'm 17w4d so can't really feel baby yet, so don't have any way of knowing he/she is fine.

Re: Anyone ever wake up on their tummy?

• Every once in a while I'll wake up kinda half on my stomach, but usually I wake up on my back which also makes me worry a little. I think as your belly grows it will sort of prevent you from being able to sleep on your tummy, so you'll prob wake up naturally if your body tries to roll over onto your tummy. I believe my doc said not to worry too much about it for that reason. You can also try using pillows in front/behind or a pregnancy pillow like a Snoogle to help keep you on your side. 
    Me: 31  DH: 32
    Married: 10/3/15 
    TTC: May 2017
    BFP: 7/20/17
    EDD: 3/29/18
  • It's fine. You're not hurting the baby. As you get bigger it'll be impossible to sleep on your stomach -- it's fine. 
  • Loading the player...
  • kmalls said
    It's fine. You're not hurting the baby. As you get bigger it'll be impossible to sleep on your stomach -- it's fine. 
    This. Stomach sleeping was one of the things I was most excited to reexperience while pregnant with my first, lol. 
  • I'm still sleeping on my stomach every night, albeit cocked to the side a little for comfort. I know it's hard not to worry, but baby is well protected in there! And like the other ladies said, it will become impossible as you grow, and I'm holding on as long as possible!
  • Yes, you're fine.  Your body won't will move naturally in your sleep if it's in a position that isn't safe for the baby.  I still wake up on my stomach or back most days.  I did too with my other 2 pregnancies and my children seem relatively normal.  ;)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • All the time! I'm a big time stomach sleeper so I wake up on my belly a lot - and oddly enough, I wake up on my back quite often. Nothing to worry about, I just re position myself and try to get back to sleep. I actually just ordered one of those big U shaped maternity pillows so fingers crossed that helps keep me on my sides and support the belly this time - I remember that being a major issue with my last pregnancy 
  • Still sleeping on my stomach here as well, like PP I have one leg up so I’m not entirely flat on my stomach. 
  • @sjn00 I hear you - I slept badly on my side last night and my right hip and knee have been hurting all freaking day. Trying to sleep pregnant is probably the hardest thing about pregnancy IMO.  :(
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • @lindsye yes! My hips, shoulder, and back are all messed up! I feel this sense of relaxation in my body when i shift to my back for a bit! 
  • @sjn00 I end up on my back often, too. I asked my OB about it last week and she said that if my body and the baby were uncomfortable that way sleeping, it would tell me and wake me up. I always start on my side, but somehow end up on my back. I haven't gotten my snoogle out yet, but I'm wondering if that will help.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I’m jealous of you who can sleep on your backs still! That’s how I used to fall asleep (better for my neck). Now I get about 5 minutes on my back before I can’t breathe. We’ve got a long way to go lol!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @sjn00 I end up on my back often, too. I asked my OB about it last week and she said that if my body and the baby were uncomfortable that way sleeping, it would tell me and wake me up. I always start on my side, but somehow end up on my back. I haven't gotten my snoogle out yet, but I'm wondering if that will help.
    I got a snoogle and it does not work :(.  I end up on my back every night and it drives me crazy.  It is really weird how comfortable  it is, and how late into the pregnancy I can easily back-sleep.  Last time it didn't  get uncomfortable until like month 7, and I was carrying a huge kid.
    BabyFetus Ticker