Baby Names
Options

Baby Girl?

We are currently expecting Baby #2. We don't know if we are having a boy or girl yet, but I need some help on our girl name. DS is named after both of our fathers, so if we have a girl we want her named after both mothers. Currently, DH loves the name Lainey. I love it, too, but is it too "toddlerish?" My mom's middle is Elaine, and originally we liked the name Elaina, but where we're from it's super popular right now, and now one of my good friends is using it. Middle will be Jo, which is MIL middle. Opinions? Ideas? Thanks!

DH: 29 years old.
Me: 25 years old.
DS: born 12/30/14
Baby #2 due 6/8/18

Re: Baby Girl?

• Options
    I personally find Lainey too be very nicknamey and kiddish.

If popularity is a concern, Elaine is the least popular of your options, and you can still call her Lainey.
  • Options
    How do you feel about calling her Lainey Jo? I think that flows nicely together. 

I also like the suggestion of Elaine and calling her Lainey. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love Lainey Jo together. My issue is that I don't like the sound of Elaine Jo. I find it too choppy. I loved Elaina, but then a good friend decided to use it so obviously we won't be using it now. I'm just worried about Lainey sounding kiddish. My mom's first name is Teresa, so I tried to find something I liked related to that, but haven't had any luck there either.

Baby #2 due 6/8/18

• Options
    Agree Lainey is too nicknamey. I️ do love elaine we used it as a middle for our DD. What about Delaney as a given? 

• Options
    If you love Elaina nn Lainey , then you should use it.....it sounds like you will be using Lainey most often anyway. Elaine Teresa sounds very good together.....Instead of Lainey Jo you would have Lainey Tess.
  • Options
    Delaney was the name of a girl I went to high school with who was not very nice, so we have said no to that one from the beginning. I love Elaina I'm just unsure how my friend would feel about our daughters having the same name. Jo is no question the middle name at this point. I'm sensing I was right about feeling that Lainey was too nicknamey. I'm glad I asked :smile:

Baby #2 due 6/8/18

• Options
    How about Tessa Jo? 
  • Options
    Was just gonna pop in to say what @jessilee15 recommended.  I dont like Lainey, I feel like it is a forever child name and also reminds me of Lainey Boggs from Shes all That (probably irrelevant). I think Tessa is somehow a nickname or related name to Teresa and Tessa Jo is cute! 

Me: 29  DH: 31, married 6/21/14, TTC since 7/14
    BFP #1 EDD 7/17/15, MMC 1/9/15 @8w
    BFP #2 4/3/15= ectopic treated with methotrexate 5/1, YET ruptured 5/18/15= One Tube Wonder!
    2 Cycles of Femara, Ovidrel, & Progesterone= BFP #3 DS born 5/17/16
    TTC #2 March 2017 (initially med free) 
    BFP #4 8/14/17 *natural cycle* EDD= 4/25/18, MC @5-6w D&C 9/22/17
    BFP #5 12/29/17 w/ Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone/Synthroid, EDD= 9/11/18 found out 1/18 ITS di/di TWINS!!!
    DS and DD born 8/21/18 
  • Options
    You could also try a middle with Jo in it.

Elaine Joesphine
    Elaine Johanna
  • Options
    Elaina Josephine nn Lainey Jo
  • Options
    BabyBoyH92016BabyBoyH92016 member
    edited November 2017
    Similar name suggestions with lots of cute nn options. I didn’t put all the nicknames down, but they are endless. 

Aleni (nn Leni)
    Alana (nn Lana)
    Alina (nn Lina)
    Eloisa
    Eloise 
    Elena 
    Louisa (nn Lou, Loui, LuLu) 
    Helena 
    Leanna 
    Alessia
    Elissa 
    Talia
    Elenora 
    Rayna
    Shayna 

• Options
    I second Tessa Jo....I have an aunt named Teresa that gets Tess as a nickname 
  • Options
    I have a cousin named Tessa Laine, otherwise that would be my top choice. Thanks for the suggestions, ladies, I'm just going to have to do some digging.

Baby #2 due 6/8/18

• Options
    lainey definitely sounds like a teenager in the 90s to me.
  • Options
    I knew a girl in high school named Marlena pronounced (marlaina) and she used Marley as a nickname.
  • Options
    I'm going to be the dissenter here and say that I really like Lainey.

As PP suggested, the long form Helena would be nice--Helena Jo.
    Laura, mom of:
    James (14)
    William (13)
    Elise (11)
    Zachary (5)
    George (3)

www.letterstoauntkay.com [making the blog private.  PM me if you want to subscribe]
  • Options
    i also think its too nn ish
    love the marlena suggestion
  • Options
    I knew a girl in high school named Elaine who 100% went by Lainie then and still does now.  It never seemed childish to me.  I actually much prefer it to Elaine.