July 2018 Moms

Cloth Diaper Mama Check In!

Re: Cloth Diaper Mama Check In!

• GREAT information on this thread. I’ve got a decent stash of BumGenius AIOs from me first, who was cloth diapered until 6 months. It felt like too much work after he was eating solid foods (exclusively bf until then). However he’s 15 months now and all the talk on this thread has me wanting to break them back out and try them again, along with buy some new ones for this next kiddo. 

Also, we didn’t find the laundry situation to be bad at all. It’s not like clothes laundry where you have to sort and hang things up (the worst part in my opinion). It was really easy and it totally convinced my husband. 
  • @kmac103 are you on your phone and using emotes? Any emotes except those provided by the bump end in posts being cut off. Super annoying. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I plan to cloth diaper. I started researching last time and remember some of the basics but will have to start researching again.
    Me: 38, DH: 37
    Married: 8/10/13
    BFP- 12/18/15, D&E- 4/8/16 @ 21w5d- confirmed Thanatophoric Dysplasia
    BFP- 11/7/17, M/C- 11/18/17 @ 4w6d
    BFP- 8/25/18 ~ EDD- 5/9/19 ~ DD born 5/2/20 *Lillian Hazel*
    BFP- 10/9/20 ~ EDD- 6/21/21

• @christycalifornia Yes! The app on my phone does it! I guess I'll have to stop using all my fun emojis then. Ugh. Thank you for telling me!

Kylie M.

Baby #1 Born 12.16.2015

Baby #2 Due 7.13.2018

• I am cloth diapering my first kid right (he’s 18 months) and definitely plan to continue with #2. I use mostly grovias (hybrids and AO1) during the day and fitteds with wool covers overnight. I don’t find the laundry bad and only use disposables on holidays and occasionally when we are out. I’ve been super happy with my decision to cloth diaper, though have made some adjustments along the way. Happy to answer questions if I can be of help to anyone. 
  • I started CDing with my son at like 3-4 months. I'm trying to decide if I want to buy some NB diapers for this bump or just assumed my OS will be fine?! 
    I primarily use Grovia hybrid however I have a couple others. We won't find out if baby is a girl or boy so I'm trying to resist the urge to buy all the diapers now lol. Waiting till baby is born may end up saving us money haha 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• @danrud36 that's one of my favorite FB groups!! I get so many awesome deals from there!! It's a bit addicting though haha 

• I have been thinking about CD, but slightly histant because we live in an apartment, and share washers/dryers. This thread has been helpful! Learning lots!
    Me: 34 DH: 33
    DD: 07/19/18
    EDD: 06/22/22
  • @MrsRucinski85 my son didn't fit in the OS pockets I had. I happen to have like 3 NB size that I used but I had to use seventh generation NB diapers until he was big enough for the OS. After he hit a month old, he's been wearing the same diapers since. He's 23 months now! I am tempted to buy a few more NB ones so I don't have to use disposables at all.. I just don't know if it's in the budget lol

Kylie M.

Baby #1 Born 12.16.2015

Baby #2 Due 7.13.2018

• Cloth diapers here! Which reminds me, I should strip them in a few months and get them ready. And get a few newborn ones! 
  • @ajsanders-2 we didn't have a W/D when we started. I stalked criags list and Facebook market place and found a great deal on an apartment washer and dryer. Have you looked into one? It hooks to your sink and drains back into the sink while the dryer works off a regular plug. Buying used I got a great deal. I'm not going to lie, if you have to use a laundry mat and pay to wash it gets really really expensive. Used it for over 2 years with no issues!!
  • @danrud36 - I hadn't even thought about that! Might be something to look into! Thank you!!
    Me: 34 DH: 33
    DD: 07/19/18
    EDD: 06/22/22
  • *Lurker* I really liked Jaimee Gleisner's Cloth Diapering 101 videos on YouTube. It helped me get straight in my head what all the different types were. We use fitteds and covers. 
  • Thank you all so much for the great advice. I used disposables for my first two but am very committed to CD this time around. I wasn’t even sure where to start but I am now!! 
  • @kmac103Ive decided to resist the urge right now for NB unless I find a super super awesome deal. I mean we've got plenty of time before baby comes so if I come into money lol maybe I'll splurge 

• Ok- so I was looking into the GroVia hybrids to use with the biosoakers (the disposable insert) does anyone have any input on those? @st3lla?? This is probably my last pregnancy so I feel like maybe it’s not worth starting to CD at this point. And I like the disposable aspect of thos groVia hybrids, but I feel like it’s  not any more cost effective than traditional diapers..  
  • @hillbillywife personally, I never saw the point to hybrids, but I remember some ladies on here loving them, so they'd probably be better for the pros. To me, a hybrid with a disposable liner just meant you were doing the work of cloth (washing and carrying around a comparatively bulky cover) just to throw away (i.e. handle) the contents of the diaper. I never wanted to have to touch the inside of a diaper, so for me something I could either throw away (disposables) or throw in a bad (cloths) was my choice. And besides cost the main reason I was doing it was to reduce waste, so it didn't make sense for me. I did buy two, thinking they would be less bulky to carry around than AiOs, but just didn't like it. On cost, I think it depends on what you buy. I just did the math, and it comes out to about $.40 per diaper, which is on the high end. But my Bambos, which is the environmentally friendly brand we used when we didn't CD, are about $0.47 each, so that is a bit of a savings over time. 

Any moms who love hybrids want to chime in?
  • @hillbillywife I basically agree with @christycalifornia on the disposable inserts with the Grovia covers. If you’re going to wash covers, may as well also wash inserts. We used the disposable inserts once on vacation but found it a bit annoying to always split the clean up between what would be washed and what went in the garbage (it’s especially hard with a squiggly or fussy little one). I do LOVE the grovia hybrids with the microfiber inserts (I think they call them the “stay dry” ones). It’s nice to not have to wash the cover every time when it’s just a pee diaper and the snaps keep the inserts from moving. Definitely recommend those. 
  • I cloth diapered my son using mostly grovia hybrids with prefolds as inserts. They worked great for us. I thought the disposable inserts were kind of pointless, when I wanted something disposable it was just easier to buy regular disposable diapers. I never bothered with newborn clothes diapers, as he fit one size by six weeks. I don't think I will get newborn diapers for this baby either. I just am not committed to extra laundry during those first few exhausting weeks. 
  • Makes sense! Thanks for your input. I guess I just really didn’t want large amounts of poop in my washer lol. Maybe CD still isn’t for me  :D
  • @hillbillywife I never had a problem with poop in the washer. I mean, there was never tons in there. Most baby poop after awhile is pretty solid, and you just plop it out into the toilet. You can get a sprayer for the ones that are less solid. You're never supposed to just put tons of crap in your washer lol, just what doesn't easily fall off the diaper. 
  • @christycalifornia yeah I understand that too. Idk. Maybe this stems from my dislike of bodily functions as a whole lol. 
  • @hillbillywife I almost exclusively use Grovia Hybrids. I like them because if my son only pees I can swap the insert and not have to change the shell. If he poops I swap both the shell and insert. Now I don't need do the disposable inserts, I use the washable ones. So for me it's still cost effective. 
    As far as poop, I cut up a $2.50 fleece blanket from Walmart into rectangles (about the size of an envelope) and use them as a barrier between the diaper and my son. It "catches" the poop and makes it easier to clean it prior to throwing in the wash. Breastfed only babies you don't need to rinse off before putting in the wash. And once they start doing "plopable" poop it's SO much easier. 

• I am definitely considering cloth diapering... mainly to pinch pennies. This LO is baby #4 and I really don't want to dish out $100/month on disposable diapers and wipes again. Fingers crossed I get hubby on board. He believes cloth is time consuming and stinky. Plus the thought of dirty diapers sitting for days grosses him out. Any arguments against these points would be great! 

Also does anyone have experience with Thirsties duo covers and GMD prefolds? Opinions? I came across a great deal and am considering purchasing them. TIA!
  • @MrsKandyceStewart you spent 100/mo on diapers and wipes?! Yikes.
    We didn't spend much of anything on diapers for the first 6 or so months because I had a diaper raffle at my shower but I get mine off Amazon prime and its about 25 monthly for diapers and like 17 bimonthly for wipes in bulk. BUT I buy luvs because they're just poop catchers, and I haven't had any issues with allergies or irritation. 
  • @oh_kay Loved GMD prefolds! That's what I used for newborn with my daughter, and they were awesome, durable, and absorbent. I don't remember what covers I used, but I know Ive heard good things about Thirsties. I think most major brands of covers are great, though. I remember using a variety and liking them all.

What about the diapers sitting grosses him out? If it's the smell, I'll tell you right now CDs do not stink. You put them in air-permiable bags, and it's counter-intuitive, but allowing air to circulate keeps the smell at bay. Diapers in a pail in plastic bags stink because the smell is allowed to sit and fester. Also, did he change the diaper pail every night? If not, didn't those diapers just sit, then? If so, then I can see not wanting to do laundry every night...although I suppose you could and just do a fold every few days. The washing was never a big deal for me, it was always the folding that took forever. 
  • oh_kayoh_kay member
    edited November 2017
    It's not always $100 but that's what we budget. We usually spend around $60 on diapers, $15-$20 on wipes and $15-$20 on diaper cream. We are currently using Huggies little movers, Pampers sensitive wipes and Aquafor as a barrier. My DS has a sensitive skin and eczema. Even his soap and lotion is pricey. We have to use Shea Moisture eczema bar soap and Lush dream cream on him. His stuff cost more than mine and my husband's combined.
  • Is there a limit on words? The below text didn't show on my response.

Luvs are great diapers. I've babysat kiddos that wear them and even Target Up and Ups. Unfortunately they break DS out. But who knows, this baby may be completely different.

I'm going to check out Prime's prices. I don't know why I haven't checked their prices before. Thanks for the advice!
  • @oh_kay I loooooove prime, with Amazon mom you get a discount on diaper subscriptions too! 
  • @oh_kay If you're on mobile and try to use an emoji TB will cut you off. They only want you to use their emojis. Eyeroll
  • Hey all! I am a part time CD user, trying to get better to save money now that we are on one income. I will definitely keep trying with this little one. With my first, he was in daycare and we discontinued because they changed every 2 hours and that gave him a rash. I was worried the diapers were causing it so I quit. Turns out if I changed him every hour the rash didn't appear. Now he's not as sensitive (we can use store brand diapers vs. honest co now, where I couldn't before). Anyway, I wanted to add that I have noticed a fleece lining gives my son zero rash vs the other types of pocket diapers that have a different lining. Also, cover that are plasticky-I don't know the type of material-tend to give him rashes where the edges meet his legs if I don't snap them loosely. This may have been covered but there is so much info in here I honestly speed read! Lol. Also I didn't see it mentioned but kelly's closet online has a lot of info about each type of diaper, plus you can buy diapers there.

Looking forward to getting to know other types of CDs so I can go at it full force with the new LO.
  • Thanks for the info! I'm taking the plunge and buying them. Did you you stop using covers and prefolds after the newborn stage? If so, what did you transition to? I've heard covers and prefolds aren't very trim and can restrict baby's movements. 

Currently we have a trash can with a lid for all of our trash. It's taken out daily. My DH hates the smell of poo and for the longest time didn't even change diapers. I think he assumes if dirty diapers sit for a couple of days our house will reek. 

Ideally I would like to do a wash every other day. Are diapers stinky in a wet bag after two days? 

• @ok_kay Wet bags are meant to keep everything in, so they're not the best for diaper pails if you're worried about stink as they don't allow air circulation. Yes, they would be stinky. With an inexpensive pail liner you'll never notice it, and you dump the whole thing, liner, diapers and all into the laundry. 

I did switch from prefolds after she was big enough to fit into All-in-ones. I didn't use pockets except as backups because I didn't like the extra step of stuffing after laundering, but pockets tend to have less drying time than AIOs and are more easily customizable for absorbency, so there's pros and cons to each.
  • Just a quick PSA for Canadian CD mommas that Lagoon Baby and Enfant Style both have Black Friday sales on now (I think both have 20% off most items). I’ve ordered from both before and been really happy with the service and delivery. 
  • Thanks for all of the good ideas and tips! I am also planning on CD but am a first time mom so it's nice to hear from people that have experience with it. It sounds like grovia is a favored brand in this group. 

I was wondering if most/all of you with experience with CD also use a sprayer, or if there is another method that you like?

Also I have read a few places that the CD load should be run through the wash 2x. Do any of you do that? Or do you do any extra steps to keep your washer clean?

• Hi. We clothed with our first for about 8-9 months and loved it! I saved all of our diapers. I spent a lot on them since buying the different styles can be addictive
  • We cloth diaper exclusively and will with this next one! I already have a growing newborn stash.  I use Blueberry all in ones.  For me the all in ones were worth the extra money because of the convenience.  I have never ever had a blow out or a rash in them either.  Unlike what others have said I change diapers less frequently than with disposables.  Mine have a stay dry fleece liner sewn in that wicks away moisture.  He wears them overnight even, so he's in them for 13 hours, no leaks, no rash.  I don't wipe him between diapers either because he's not wet, thanks to the stay dry liner.  People worry you'll have SO MUCH extra laundry.  I do two loads a week (some people say to have a weeks stash and do just one load but that is too long for my comfort for poop and pee to sit in my diapers).  They smell way less than disposables.  I have an open top trashcan in his nursery and bathroom and we don't have any funky smells.  When babies are breastfeed you don't even have to spray off the poop because it's water soluble and can go straight in the wash.  Once they start solids and their poop thickens up then you spray them (or some people scrape them with a spatula) over the toilet, rinse with a toilet sprayer, toss in the bucket until wash time.  He's 24 months and I use 5 diapers a day.  I have bought almost all of mine on sale or clearance.  I'll break even on cost after baby number two.  The best part is that there is a resale market so I'll probably get 50% of my money back after baby number two! We even do cloth wipes so I've  only bought wipes for out of the house.  There all sorts of questions and types of diapers.  If you have any, feel free to ask! I love cloth diapering, it has been great for us.  
  • Also, for those ladies asking if newborns are worth it or want to try out a lot of different brands at once, try a diaper rental service.  You'll get newborn diapers to try out for a few weeks, a few different brands, and the price is pretty good.  It's a great way to try something before investing a lot of money.  Do not, I repeat, do not but an entire stash without first trying on ON YOUR BABY.  The fit will be different than your last baby.  You may find you HATE stuffing pockets, you suck at wrapping prefolds, or you hate having to take a little extra time, that you need double gussets instead, etc.
  • lavillard said:

I was wondering if most/all of you with experience with CD also use a sprayer, or if there is another method that you like?

Also I have read a few places that the CD load should be run through the wash 2x. Do any of you do that? Or do you do any extra steps to keep your washer clean?

I use a diaper sprayer, but as pp mentioned you don’t need to use anything if you’re exclusively breastfeeding (for the first 6 months I just threw everything directlyin the wash). 

Fluff Love University (google it) is the best resource for washing. I do two wash cycles - a short cold one to get rid of the solids, followed by a hot long one to fully clean the diapers and it works great. It doesn’t take much longer as the first cycle is only about 20 min and I just spin the drum to make sure the diapers aren’t stuck, add more soap, and restart the machine. We wash diapers twice a week after bedtime (dryer runs when we’re in bed - diapers are ready in the morning). We find it pretty easy. 
  • *Lurker*

I run a warm rinse cycle and then a hot wash cycle with soap. That's it. 

Regarding having a week's stash and washing once a week. I do not recommend that. Most resources will say three days is the max you want to go. I personally know someone who does an every other day wash, and she said she forgot for a few days and they started to mold. She does not use a wet pail.

Also, based on my own every other day and now every day and a half wash, I don't think there would be enough room in the washer to wash that many in one load. My washer is almost half full every otherp day. You don't want the washer too full because you want plenty of room for the diapers to agitate around.