November 2017 Moms
Options

Last Minute Prep for LO's Arrival

dragonfly87-2dragonfly87-2 member
edited November 2017 in November 2017 Moms
I know our group is getting smaller, but figured it might be nice to put some tips or things that you are planning to do or have done for last minute prep for LO's arrival. Those with LO's who have arrived, feel free to jump in and mentione what you did or wish you had done!

Re: Last Minute Prep for LO's Arrival

• Options
    We feel pretty set at this point. We took our last prep class today (breastfeeding basics) and set up the pack and play in our room.

Our approach is pretty low key, but we have the bag packed, the nursery is fairly done and we just need to: 

• Learn how to install the car seat (and will probably run by a police station to make sure it is correct)

• Have the house cleaned one last time--luckily DH's mom is a housekeeper and she offered to come on Monday to do a thorough cleaning/do our laundry. I feel a little awkward, but it is a kind gesture and it will save my back from having to do it.

• Going to wash the new parts and pack my breast pump for the hospital as well. Our doula said it can actually come in handy if labor does stall at the hospital. Interesting tip, in the event contractions stop or slow, rather than using medical interventions (i.e., pitocin), you can stimulate your nipples with a breast pump and get contractions going again.
  • Options
    Having the house cleaned and laundry all done is definitely a great idea. Also suggest cleaning the fridge and making sure you have food ready for when you get home. Last thing you want to worry about is meals. And if you are BFing, you will be hungry all.the.time.

my hospital has breast pumps for you to use during your stay and in the NICU if needed. They give you a set or two of parts to use with it.

prior to coming home, I would suggest discussing with your partner what your expectations are for their involvement in nighttime duties, feedings, bottle washing etc. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mymulligan Thanks for the tips on the fridge/food situation. Need to do some grocery shopping for sure. Our hospital didn't mention having a pump available when we did the tour, but they may! We did a post-partum prep class a few weeks ago and discussed division of duties and a routine...so hoping we can stick to it (and adjust where needed).
  • Options
    I just started nesting yesterday...which I have been waiting to kick in. And of course with my separated SI joint I can only do so much before the pain is so bad I have to sit down.

But with that, I have set up the pack n play, attempted to install carseat - DH has to check it, did dishes and laundry, started the hospital bags for all of us, took all the animals into the vet for checkups.

I still have to clean the living room and dining room of crap. We have things stored in there, and they need to go! Put the second carseat in DHs truck, wash bottles and pump parts, finish hanging the decor in the nursery, finish hanging photos/decor in the house (they're all on the floor right now), move dog kennels/cat litter to make room, clean baby's bathroom (which will also be the guest bathroom, and where the litter is right now), and get things to storage for the winter. 

Just when I think I've gotten a good chunk of my list done, I realize I have even more that still has to get done. 10 days to go!
  • Options
    I regret not having a stocked fridge but he came on a Friday and Sundays is when I get food. His nursery was almost done but I had the changing station and bassinet ready to go and stocked.  All his clothes got washed and put away and laundry for my daughter and I were done. 
    The day before he arrived DH and I went and got last minute things we needed mainly for me or the hospital and packed our bags. 
    I feel like when we went into the hospital I was feeling pretty prepared.  My house hasn't sparkled since I've been pregnant but at least it was tidy enough for when we came home. 
  • Options
    I finished all laundry the night I went into labor and I'm really happy I did that because we've been able to make if four days home without having to do any. I agree that having a stocked fridge would have been nice as we had to run to the store the day after getting home. 
    I had pads already at home but really should have got dermaplast spray and epsom salt(for baths) before hand. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We hired a cleaning service to come do a deep clean of our house a couple days ago -- so worth it. My husband also got the bassinet set up yesterday; we had been delaying that since it takes up a fair amount of room next to the bed and it's easy to set up, but I started feeling like I wanted EVERYTHING ready. :) I still need to make some padsicles -- need to get witch hazel for that.
  • Options
    I vacuumed out my car today n husband is going to install the car seat tonight. I also started packing a hospital bag. I still need to get a breast pump- my insurance won’t send one until week before due date and I’m not due until nov. 29. 
  • Options
    Just need to finish packing my hospital bag and I would ideally like to give the whole house a good scrub. The baby's bag is packed, carseat is installed, and pack and play is set up beside our bed. I also made some freezer meals since family is far away and I don't think I will be up to meal planning and prepping the first week. The one thing I can't seem to make my mind up about is how many newborn outfits to wash - I don't want to end up wasting them if she is too big for them when she is born! Right now I have about 4 washed and figure DH can wash the rest if that's what she fits into lol.
  • Options
    @Airynn Chica So exciting that your little one will be here in two days!