December 2017 Moms
Options

GTKY: Christmas Lists

I feel like this board has blown up with Christmas discussion today, so I'm just going to roll with it!

I want to get my Christmas shopping done ASAP, as I am sure you all do to seeing as we're all expecting in December!

I have the hardest time thinking of gifts - so I thought if we all shared our lists for our family members, perhaps we can give each other ideas on what to get!a

List the person, their age and gender/relation to you if relevant.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: GTKY: Christmas Lists

• Options
    My family and DH's family both do a secret santa -like exchange where we pick one name and only have to buy one present. It's awesome, especially now that everyone is pretty much married and has kids. I think this year whoever I get will receive a personalized cutting board from Etsy (with their last name and marriage year) plus an assortment of cheese and wine. Can't really go wrong there. For the kids, I'll get them each an outfit and a book.

For DH I get him stocking stuffers, and then also get him a hotel room and lift pass for a snowboard weekend with his buddies. I'm not going to go crazy with baby's 1st Christmas but may buy her a nice book or something.
    Me: 33 DH: 34
    Married: Oct 2015
    TTC #1: Sept 2016
    BFP: 10/19/16 ~ blighted ovum ~ D&C 11/23/16
    BFP: 3/24/17   <3  DD1 born 12/2/17
    TTC #2: July 2018
    BFP: 8/26/18 <3  DD2 born 5/16/19

• Options
    failuretoflyfailuretofly member
    edited November 2017
    @peachy13 so you only have to buy for two people?! that is crazy lol

So far what I've got is:
    My BFF (30s) & her fam (spouse, teenager, toddler & baby)- a cookie baking kit with mix, cutters, oven mitts and measuring cups/spoons
    My BFF (single, late 20s) a wine glass that says 'you had me at merlot', a delicious smelling candle that says 'bff' and I will probably toss a bottle of wine in there
    DH's BFF (30s) and his fam (wife, toddler) - hot drink basket with mugs, tea, coffee and hot chocolate
    We'll probably add a small bottle of baileys to each
    DH's brothers (30s) each a T-shirt from a craft brewery in our hometown, plus something else?
    My Mom (50s) a Brene Brown book, a nice mug, and fancy teas
    DH's bros GFs (30s) an assortment of soaps/bath stuff from Rocky Mountain Soap Company

and that's it so far, still have DH's parents, my dad, DH and DS and maybe a few other randoms to do!
    I love gift giving!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Christmas stressing me to the max. Last year we stopped buying for everyone but kids. So my nieces (3) and nephews (2) and then we buy for our parents. We felt like all we did was swap money around and honestly I would rather my child(ren) get things and not myself. DH and I don’t usually buy for each other either. We did last year but my birthday is the week before Christmas so it’s just all hard. 

I digress.... we make wish lists on amazon for the kids  and This is how we shop! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I don't think DH and I are exchanging, I'm totally fine with that. 
    I am taking my Dad to see Seinfeld 11/11, that is his present from us. 
    Mom will prob get a gift card. 
    IL's  that is on DH to come up with. 
    Niece (3) Nephew (almost 2) - drawing a blank.  
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    whiskawhiska member
    edited November 2017
    @Kirss We're going to see Seinfeld too!  I'm excited!

Thanks for this because it reminded me to text my siblings about lists for my nieces and nephews!
    Mom (63) - Pajamas and house slippers, gift card to Jo-Ann Fabrics, book
    Grandpa (99) - his favorite chocolate-covered cherries, take him out to dinner
    Cousin (27) - starbucks gift card
    FIL (65) - book, shirt or sweatshirt of his college team
    MIL (62) - book, necklace
    FIL & MIL - restaurant gift card
    SIL (28) - some stuff off her favorite fair trade website, like socks or tshirts; gift card to the local butcher
    BIL (25) - video game, shirt

Siblings and their kids (ages 6-17) - H and I cover one big outing like bowling or a movie around New Year's.  Anyone have suggestions for activities like this with a newborn? :grimace:  Ice skating?  I guess H and I could trade off with the bebe?

H and I might get a set of new pots and pans as gifts to ourselves, or the house?  So romantic :lol:  We usually only get one or two things to exchange Christmas morning, one <$25 and then something big -- like one year I gave him a mug for his favorite NFL team and then tickets to see a game.  It will be fun to incorporate a dad gift or gift from baby this year!!! :love:  
    Me: 36  | DH 35, Married 2007
    TTC #1 June 2015
    April 2016 - AMH, FSH, Progesterone normal
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    *TW* BFP - Aug16, demise confirmed Sep16, incomplete m/c, D&C Nov16
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart

• Options
    We are frugal and think it's ridiculous to purchase individual gifts for ALL the extended family members, especially since we both come from big families.
    In our own family, with our kids, we do the "rule of 4" for their gifts... something they want, something they need, something to wear, and something to read. (can't take credit for that I saw it on pinterest or facebook)... They usually get a lot from grandparents and other family. 
    So far I've only purchased the "something to read" gift from DD3's monthly scholastic book order. which I highly recommend using if you're purchasing books at all this year, I got 6 books (2 for each kid) for $12. They have a lot of $1 deals and they are good books too, chapter books, classics, etc. 
    DH and I usually exchange a gift or two, and we will get a "family gift" for the local extended family members. Usually a DVD or a board game, something their whole family can enjoy together. 
  • Options
    We usually never buy for the holidays. His family usually did a name draw and we just gave her 20 bucks and she bought whatever they wanted and said it was from us. Last year and going forward we only buy for the kids since there is so few left and it was easier. This year im not even worried about gifting, buying, or anything since we will have a one month old. SO will be going to family functions to get the presents and update everyone. 

However, with that being said i try to buy for my nieces when i can. They are 8 and 11. I usually get them a xmas eve box that has new pjs, a current movie they in love with, and a pack of hot chocolate mix. Then, i usually try to get them a toy for xmas morning. But, usually my sister decks them out so she usually just says one of her is from me to prevent duplicates. 
  • Options
    tmk0325tmk0325 member
    edited November 2017
    I'm going Christmas shopping this weekend... I have many birthdays in December, so it's like a double whammy. Not to mention this baby will most likely be a Dec baby.

Grandparent gifts from my kids for both sets - no ideas. Need help! We already do a ton of photo gifts through out the year, so that's out.
    Mom Bday - Kinky Boots tickets
    Godson bday- Basketball Jersey
    Godson xmas - Nike shoes (this kid has expensive taste)
    Godson #2 - PS4 games
    Mom/Dad - Photo calendar, plus something else... 
    Godparent gifts from both kids - I ordered personalized outdoor flags for their houses.  Got a groupon and they are cute!  They have their last names on them and go on a cute little stand. Both of them own their own houses and have everything else, so this is usually a challenge too. 
    Girlfriend exchange - doing a spice box this year.
    My twins - Since they are so little I got some Melissa and Doug puzzles and a Hammer/Peg board, two contigo water bottles, and will get them some clothes.  Honestly they don't know the difference yet.  
    Daycare lady - Personalized christmas doormat.  Also a groupon.  
    My nephews (ages 2, 8 months) - toys/clothes
    And I always get ornaments for my family members. 

If anyone has any good parent/grandparent gifts please let me know. I'm at a loss. I was thinking some sort of personalized grandparent sign for their houses.

Edited to add - SO and I don't exchange gifts.  Usually we go on a trip someplace warm, but this year we won't with a new baby.  We are building a house, so I guess that's gift enough!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My siblings and I (including DH and BIL) draw a name out of a hat. This year, DH and I are going to opt out so no one has to buy for us or us for them. DH's aunt/uncle/cousins and their kids also do this, so we'll opt out of that one too.

I think I'll get my mom a gift card for a pedicure or something, my SILs gift cards to Nordstrom, and DH's parents he can figure out. I'll be nine months pregnant and won't see any of our family on December 25th (or I'll have a newborn, and if that's the case I have no idea who I'll see or not).

As for DH...I'm hoping I can convince him no gifts. His birthday is in January and he bought me a few small things for my birthday, so I'll have to buy him stuff for then anyway.

And of course, this could all go out the window depending on if I deliver early or something. This is the first grandkid/niece for our parents/siblings so that's a pretty big gift in itself! Haha.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • Options
    DH: some new tools he wanted, new underwear (from MeUndies & Duluth Trading), stocking stuffers: a cocktail muddler, a blutooth adapter for his car (not sure it will work, but it was cheap!), etc. for his birthday (February), I got him new sheets, a new duvet cover, and a new towel, and more underwear! I know I also wrapped something as a gift from DD and something from the pets, but no memory now of what it was. 
    DD: her big santa gift is a play kitchen I got on consignment for $10. It is missing the faucet for the sink, though, which I didn't realize at the time, so I may need to find something to use as a faucet replacement. Otherwise, she is getting clothes, a book, a contigo water bottle, some Melissa & Doug travel water activity books (the "pen" holds water and colors the pages), and another book from baby. 
    Baby: a book from DD, some clothes
    Niece (3) & Nephew/godson (18 mos): she is getting The Princess who saved Herself book; he is getting a toy truck, and I may also send him an advent calendar
    Goddaughter (10): Book for Christmas, nail polish set for birthday
    Friend's son (5): animal mancala game
    My mom: calendar from Snapfish or Shutterfly--we don't do gift exchange with my mom or brother/sis-in-law anymore, but I always make her a photo calendar
    DH's parents: coasters with pics of DD on them, photo book from our trip up to see them this summer, maybe a framed pic of new baby. DH will also buy them stuff, but that is on him. They do lots of little gifts and I stay out of it. 
    One of my best friend's birthdays is in Dec. I will probably get her some Yankee Candles or something Ole Miss related (she is an alum and now that I live in MS, the stuff is everywhere), and then as the Christmas gift for her and her husband, either a snacky gift basket of some sort or some beer gift basket--they both like beer. She's lactose intolerant now, so that affects the available food gifts. 

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • Options
    Oh my gosh guys, I feel like an idiot.  I just realized maybe we'll have enough pictures to put a little book together for my mom and ILs! (It's their first grandchild) Thanks for the inspiration @cait5413 !
    TTC #1 June 2015
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart

• Options
    Budget is going to be the big thing this year. We're trying to keep things manageable so I've been following a lot of "deal" groups on FB and grabbing rando things for all of the kids (10 nieces and nephews) as they present themselves. One I really like is called Save a la Mide: Hot Deals for Kids! We've already started shopping, but still have a ways to go.

I am making a yard dice kit for DH, we already have the 4x4s and the stain/paint and the tools necessary to make it. I'll print and laminate the game stuff at work and grab a 5 gallon bucket at Walmart. We love hosting people and playing washers/bags/etc so I am hoping this is something he'll enjoy and it's going to be virtually free. I will likely end up getting him some new clothes and some candy/jerky/little stuff for his stocking as well.

We already bought DS' gift - a play kitchen. MIL is getting the accessories. I am sure we'll end up getting him a few smaller things, but this kid has enough crap so it's going to be sparse. I'd love for the grands to get him some experience-based things (memberships, swim lessons) but that proved to be an unpopular request for his first birthday and now that he is getting more cognizant I doubt it will go any better. 

DD won't be getting much. Maybe some clothes and pacifiers? Things we'll need. I don't want to get her nothing in case DS notices and thinks that's odd, although I doubt he will.

As far as our moms go (I'm not close enough with my dad to gift and his passed years ago), I have no idea. Ideally, I'd like to do something really nice as they've both been a godsend this year but realistically, "really nice" isn't in the budget. Unpaid maternity leave right at Christmas really is poor timing lol. If baby is here early enough, definitely something picture based, but with at 12/20 due date I really don't want to count on that as I'd like to be finished up with xmas stuff sooner rather than later.

Other than that, we don't do too much gifting. We used to be in an exchange with his 4 bros and their spouses, where each couple would draw another's name, but it turned into just exchanging gift cards for some and it seemed silly to continue. I'll buy for an aunt and uncle with whom I'm very close, but we get them the same thing every year (manicure gift certificate and Best Buy giftcard). 

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Options
    @failuretofly haha yep basically! DH and I both have several siblings combined so it was getting to be too much to buy something for them plus their SOs. Like everyone has what they need, and now that kids are getting thrown into the mix, it seemed kind of wasteful to keep buying each other gift cards and stuff we don't need. The secret santa thing has been awesome. It includes our parents too which is a huge help for them since all they want to do is buy presents for their grandkids.
    Me: 33 DH: 34
    Married: Oct 2015
    TTC #1: Sept 2016
    BFP: 10/19/16 ~ blighted ovum ~ D&C 11/23/16
    BFP: 3/24/17   <3  DD1 born 12/2/17
    TTC #2: July 2018
    BFP: 8/26/18 <3  DD2 born 5/16/19

• Options
    @whiska I am so excited for Seinfeld!! 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    DH and I have just been doing stocking stuffers for one another the last few years, and it's been great.  He was not so good on the hint-taking for big gift ideas the first few years of our marriage, which ended up making both of us feel like crap, so we've found that a few small surprises has been a lot less stressful and a lot more fun.  

We also have a "if we really want/need something we just go get it for ourselves" policy which makes coming up with gift ideas (or knowing what to tell family) kind of difficult.  We're pretty discerning spenders and I hate getting random things I don't want or need from family just because they feel like they have to get us something, so I am hoping and praying that MIL has decided this will be the year we start to ONLY exchange gifts for the little kids, although I'm not 100% positive since our LO won't necessarily have arrived yet. A girl can dream!
  • Options
    I have a small family so we all buy for each other. I actually started in July with the casual shopping but then didn't buy one thing all through September and October so I have to get in gear! I am done with DD and I got a few things for the new LO because she is old enough to know if he gets anything from Santa. I am almost done with stockings. I really need to finish up DH and my dad then it's all little stuff.  I host Christmas every year and I make a Christmas ball game (the plastic wrap one) so I need to finish getting goodies for that.  We will be making our cookies early this year and freezing them.  I am so excited for my oldest to experience the holiday.  She wasn't old enough last year to really know what was going on.
  • Options
    DH and I will exchange something... typically I add a watch to his collection.
    Mom/Dad- dinner gc and wall decor
    MIL/FIL- dinner gc and picture frame
    BIL/SIL- dinner gc and wine
    Sis/BIL- ???
    Bro/his gf- ???
    16 yo niece- money and book
    12 yo nephew- money and book
    7 yo niece and 4 yo niece and nephew- gc to Billy Bee's (indoor jungle gym/activity place) and rock n jump (trampoline place)

My sister has really pushed us to give her kids "experiences instead of toys" so I am usually buying passes for zoos, parks, etc... I love the idea and will be adopting it for our.LO
  • Options
    @kdestito I love the experiences over stuff gifts too and will be encouraging family to do this for our kiddos!
  • Options
    I’m sure I’ll be frantically ordering Christmas gifts for everyone on Amazon while I’m in labor because I have zero time right now.  The only people I think I know what we’ll get are my in-laws and it’s a super selfish gift.  I want to get them tickets to a Broadway show while they’re in town (they’re staying with us for a week starting from the day after LO’s due date  :| so honestly I’m looking for a way to get them out of the house for a day).

One thing I was wondering, are any of you planning to get gifts for your new babies?  I know they won’t know any better which makes it weird, but I feel like Santa has to come for his first Christmas so I’m torn!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Piccola1988 we aren't getting LO anything specific for Christmas...we'll probably wrap up one or two new outfits for her and a stuffed animal that we already have. More for DD1 to start learning that Christmas isn't just for her lol. But we also don't do Santa, so it's not like we'll be missing out on a tradition if we don't end up doing anything after all (let's be real, it's a 50/50 shot I even get gifts for DH wrapped right now, let alone gifts for the kid who will be about 2 weeks old)
  • Options
    @Piccola1988 We are doing a few things for baby--clothes, books, etc. Can't have presents for DD and not the baby (though I'm sure DD wouldn't remember)

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
  • Options
    Piccola1988 I may put a few things in her stocking, but all essentials that I would have otherwise also bought (pacifiers, socks, etc). Same as @cait5413 - JIC DS is paying attention I need to have something for his baby sis, although I highly doubt he'll notice.

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Options
    This is our first holiday where DH and I will be at the same place. My family does xmas morning just our parents and the kids (who are all over 28) and we open presents one at a time for like four hours. Which sounds crazy, but we also take time for brunch. It's wonderful, and I feel like I'm going to miss out on it because DH wants his mom/step-dad to come that day, and it's awkward to have someone else's family there. I honestly feel like he's ruining my xmas. 

Tl;dr: "newlywed" drama = no list yet. 
  • Options
    @babybison could you do Christmas morning at your parents' and afternoon/dinner with your in-laws?

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
  • Options
    sjissjis member
    edited November 2017
    DH and I exchange ‘care kits’ with the total value not exceeding $75. Usually it’s filled with our annual slippers, or face care stuff, last year I did a car safety kit (window breaker, flares, etc), also we throw in some fav snacks, maybe a small gift card to iTunes, car wash, etc. It’s not very glamorous but it works.

since he has a huge family we all do a ‘white elephant’ not exceeding $50 for the grownups. It’s great! As for the kids in the family, I think I’ll do stockings filled with little things like candy, gift cards, bath bombs, etc.
  • Options
    this thread hasn't helped my brainstorming but has been a breath of fresh air in once sense - someone tell me why every "gift guide" out there seems to be for bazillionaires? like, does every item have to be super special, super expensive, and snobby? do i really need an all clad pan set for the cook in my life? all clad is pretty great, but that's not in my budget. "get the tech fan in your life a new iphone x for 1000 dollars!" wut. no. not helpful. not helpful at all. 

Met: September 2005  Married: October 2008   DS: 09/2014
           Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
           Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @babybison @anewadventure I feel you! We've been married 8 years (today!) and the holidays schedule is still a full scale negotiation.  It's gotten easier over the past few years, since we both have settled into similar expectations about which family members will make grabby-hands at which dates (and effing off to Europe two years in a row has made everyone SUPER GRATEFUL that we might show up at all this year).  We usually start divvying out dates in Sept, but we're way behind this year and that's stressing me out.  It also means I can't make a list of who to shop for, because we're not sure what we're doing and who will be there and when I start to make run on sentences like this DH says something unhelpful and absurd like "we're getting everyone socks. Done."
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Is it bad I've already wrapped a bunch of presents? I feel like I'm using baby as an excuse to start all my Christmas fun early!
  • Options
    @anewadventure we just moved half way across the country and started making babies (i.e. too hard to travel super pregnant +/- newborn) to solve that problem :D I actually will probably never go 'home' for Christmas again, my family ruins it for me. 
  • Options
    Also, based on my timehop and facebook memories from the last few days, in past years I already had a significant amount of Christmas decor up already at this time... I am actually BEHIND this year... WTF?!

• Options
    @jlemons-2 not at all. Lol. I’ve taken down all the fall decor on the inside and will be secretly starting to decorate for Christmas. I’ll prob have hubby take all the cornstalks etc off the front stairs/porch this weekend, and start to get the lights up! We got a new artificial tree this year so excited to set that up sooooon. Then i will have somewhere to put the gifts I am dying to wrap. Lol
  • Options
    Ok so this is the only place I feel “safe” posting this. haha! I’m so excited about Christmas and having everything up for when we come home with Adaline, Especially now that we have a scheduled csection.
    This is the first year we are putting up a fake tree and I LOVE it. Put it up yesterday and put the lights on it last night. I love waking up in the morning and putting the tree on first thing!
    @jlemons-2    Now I have a place to put all the gifts I want to wrap hahahaaaa xo
  • Options
    @ShyTonia I love it! I've been holding off on mine but I do t know how much longer I'll make it. Maybe tomorrow...
  • Options
    @ShyTonia I'll be joining you soon! Today we are having a yard sale (85 degrees in AZ lol) Then hopefully tomorrow we can donate the rest of our junk, clean, and then start getting out our décor so we don't have to worry about that later on! I normally don't decorate before Thanksgiving - but I think we have a good excuse this year.
  • Options
    ShyToniaShyTonia member
    edited November 2017
    @jlemons-2 and @balletnerd it feels so nice to have it up! And doing a bit at a time! Been adding the ornaments here and there. I started listening to Christmasmusic this am lol. 
    Good luck at your yard sale @balletnerd!!!!
    40 degrees here in Jersey!!! 
  • Options
    I'm jealous of all the Christmas decorations. I hate my apartment, and it's so small, so combine that with me being massive and a 19 month old running around = very little decorations for us this year... :(
  • Options
    I'm putting up my decorations this weekend and cannot wait! I'm so excited to be bringing home a baby during the best time of the year and getting to snuggle up in my cozy house for the winter. 
  • Options
    @hellothere47 I'm jealous.  H nixed the idea of putting up Christmas stuff this week (I think because we're having friends over on Saturday and he doesn't want to be judged as those people who do Christmas too early, but I'm over here like, buddy I want to get this stuff DONE lol).  So I'm putting up the random decorations starting Sunday and then we'll do the tree the day after Thanksgiving.  There's a good chance I will just be watching from the couch at that point :lol:
    TTC #1 June 2015
    June 2016 - HSG clear
    BFP 3/27/17, edd 12/7/17
    DS - 12/9/17 
    <3 
    TTC #2 December 2018 
    BFP 2/22/19, edd 11/4/19
    DD - 11/1/19 <3
    My Chart