May 2018 Moms

Progesterone Supplements

Anyone taking them?
I'm on a natural progesterone supplement - chaste tree, also known as vitex. I take 1 in the a.m. and 1 in the p.m. each day. I'm seeing my naturopath soon about how to ween off them, but I'm nervous since I had a MC before (no progesterone supplement that time). What are your plans for going off the supplements? When did/do you plan to start reducing or stop taking them? 

Re: Progesterone Supplements

• I'm on 100mg progesterone taken vaginally. My doc wants me on them until 12 weeks.  I'm almost positive they are causing my brown spotting. TW Hate them but I'm fresh off 2 losses so this is the plan. 
  • I have a 50mg PIO injection once a day. I did the suppositories last time and loathed them. Not only are they messy but they were a total cock block. The injections hurt but I prefer them. 

I don't personally believe in naturopathic "medicine" so I can't offer any advice specific to your situation. I hope they help for you! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I am taking 100 mg vaginally twice a day. I think I can come off them around 12 weeks. It's annoying because they are a pink color so it looks like spotting when the coating leaks back out. I am not as familiar with using vitex as a supplement. 
  • +1 for suppositories, twice a day. Definitely cockblocks like you said @thedawkterswife and honestly, I'd have preferred the pio! Our RE has me taking it easy anyway so not the biggest deal. I was told to be on them til 10 weeks and will probably go to one a day then for a week. 
  • I'm on 400mg progesterone suppositories. They are terrible and cause irritation, but I'm already taking one daily injection so I decided to deal with it (which is fine I guess since I'm on pelvic rest anyway). I will be stopping around 12 weeks, maybe sooner. I'm also not familiar with vitex.  
    Me: 36 DH: 36
    TTC #1 since September 2015
    *TW*
    BFP #1: CP, April 2016
    BFP #2: 10/5/16, MMC 11/3/16 at 7w5d (embryo stopped @ ~6 weeks), misoprostol 11/11/16 (EDD 6/16/17)
    Dx: Luteal phase defect, uterine polyps, stage 2 endometriosis, low morphology
    Uterine polyp removal (laparoscopy) 3/28/17
    BFP #3: 6/19/17, MMC 7/11/17 at 6w3d, misoprostol 7/17/17 (EDD 3/1/18)
    BFP #4: 8/25/17 EDD 5/4/18

BabyFetus Ticker
  • I am on 200 mg suppositories once a day. They are a pain but whatever helps. I will stop taking between 10-13 weeks depending on what my OB thinks.
  • I'm on 200mg oral (which can be taken as suppositories but @thedawkterswife is totally right about the cock blocking and I'm still feeling decent enough for it now and then) until 12 weeks. I did this with DS and I was on it for about 2 weeks before my last miscarriage. I have habitually low preogesterone
    Angel Babies 1&2 2/14/09
    DS born 3/11
    Angel Baby 3 6/28/11                                                         9/5/17 BFP!!
    divorced October 2014                                                       9/6/17 hCG 88 progesterone 9.1 (prometrium started)
    Married DH 10/15     DH's DS born 6/09                            9/8/17 hCG 242!!!
    Not preventing since 11/15                                                 EDD 5/8/18        Adjusted 5/15/18
    TTC since 1/1/16                                                                9/27/17 we have a heart beat!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy TrackerBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Update, in case any other ladies are in the same boat as me. I'll be taking the 2 a day until 10 weeks then going down to 1 a day. At 12 weeks I will be stopping. Between 12 and 14 weeks the placenta mainly takes over so we want to make sure things are functioning as they should and the low dosage won't be doing much for me then anyway. 
    I'm glad I'm on are pill! The suppositories sound like a bit of a nuisance but hope it's working well for you all! 
  • Progesterone is an inexact science anyway. Some REs will tell you PIO is best and others say it's suppositories. There isn't enough evidence that it really does much to help, but it doesn't hurt so why not? :) 
  • They have me doing 200mg, three times a day as suppositories. It is sooo gross and agreed about the cockblock. I'm not keen on sex due to that and blowjobs are a no go when I'm this nauseated so DH is just about climbing the walls.
  • I am taking 200mg progesterone 3x daily. 2 in suppository form morning and night and one pill at noon. 

• Just curious, do those of you on supplements find your nausea is getting worse as times goes on? I'm feeling really sick lately and have seen that nausea can be a side effect of progesterone, so am wondering if that's part of it.
  • @thunderberry mine does personally. but I'm one of the only prescription oral takers on here (I think, the other orals on here are natural, right?) with DS my nausea stopped 2 days after the supplements. This round, I fell asleep 2 nights in a row without taking it, oops, and my nausea was so much better the next day. of course that went away after starting them again.... blah. oh well, we don't have to take them forever, and it's a small price for a healthy sticky bean
    Angel Babies 1&2 2/14/09
    DS born 3/11
    Angel Baby 3 6/28/11                                                         9/5/17 BFP!!
    divorced October 2014                                                       9/6/17 hCG 88 progesterone 9.1 (prometrium started)
    Married DH 10/15     DH's DS born 6/09                            9/8/17 hCG 242!!!
    Not preventing since 11/15                                                 EDD 5/8/18        Adjusted 5/15/18
    TTC since 1/1/16                                                                9/27/17 we have a heart beat!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy TrackerBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @thunderberry @ladystinson I'm taking a natural oral progesterone, which I take 1 in the a.m. and 1 at dinner. I find that I have to eat with it or I feel very nauseous. I still feel nauseous throughout the day, but I think that's more related to my HCG levels and regular pregnancy symptoms.  It's hard to know what causes things since there is so much going on! 
    I'll be going down to 1 pill at 10 weeks and off completely at 12 weeks (approximately). 
    Maybe you can talk to your doctor about adjusting the dosage. At a certain point the placenta takes over anyway. 
    I know our situation isn't the same but hope that helps! 
  • So I had a pelvic exam yesterday and the OB said my insides were very pink....so it's def the suppositories. 
  • justsuzie said:
    I'm on 100mg progesterone taken vaginally. My doc wants me on them until 12 weeks.  I'm almost positive they are causing my brown spotting. TW Hate them but I'm fresh off 2 losses so this is the plan. 
    I've had some random days on tiny spots too - my RE said was probably the vaginal suppository. Makes the cervix a bit delicate...
    Pregnancy Ticker Anniversary
  • I'm on 1ml progesterone in oil intramuscular shot in the morning, and 1x vaginal suppository Endometrin at night. IVF so I have none of my own progesterone (no corpus luteum!) 
  • I’m nervous about seeming off at 13-14 weeks. I feel like it’s my crutch now. In my head I believe this is what’s making my pg progress. Ugh. Pgal brain. 
  • justsuzie said:
    I’m nervous about seeming off at 13-14 weeks. I feel like it’s my crutch now. In my head I believe this is what’s making my pg progress. Ugh. Pgal brain. 
    Reassure yourself the placenta has completely taken over by then and produces the hormones.. the corpus luteum only lasts about 10 weeks... 
  • @babys_2018 I was thinking of talking to a doctor to get my levels tested, but I'm kind of between doctors at the moment so not sure who to ask. The fertility clinic that prescribed them is no longer following me since I made it to 8 weeks and had my ultrasound, but I don't see a doctor to actually follow my pregnancy until 10-12 weeks, depending on who I go with. It makes it tricky! I have an appointment with a family doctor who I am considering as using as our doctor on Tuesday, but then I will only be a week away from being done with them anyway, so by the time I had the blood work, got results etc it would probably be almost time. So I'll probably end up just suffering through it.
  •  Resurrecting this thread because I have a question. Has anyone been taken off of their progesterone yet? I was told today I could stop taking it, and I'm happy because yay for no more  suppositories, yet I'm nervous about getting off them. 
  • I was only an oral, natural version and I was fully weaned off at 11.5 weeks because I ran out. So far, so good! 
    Usually you go off any where between 10-14 weeks because the placenta takes over. How far along are you? 
  • edited November 2017
    @babys_2018 - I am 14 weeks today. I was taking oral 1x a day and suppositories 2x a day. They said I could completely stop today,  and I didn't need them anymore. I of course trust my doctor, but I'm still a little nervous about getting off them. Maybe it's because it became such a routine part of my day. I was on them since 6 weeks.
  • @tacosandvirginmargaritas, I stopped taking them like 2 weeks ago at 11 weeks.
    My RE said I could stop at 10 weeks, but instead I went fro twice a day to once a day to help feel like I "weaned" more than coming off cold turkey. That helped ease my anxiety more.
  • I am on them until 14 weeks (I’m only 11 now). Has your doctor been doing blood work to monitor your levels? Last pregnancy they didn’t but this time they are (I ended up bumping up from one suppository a day to two). I’m not sure if they’re planning on checking my level after I go off it to make sure it’s good or if I will just stop taking it
  • I was on the suppositories until 11 weeks, so done about 3.5 weeks now, and I didn't do any weaning or anything else because I could not be done with that gross crap fast enough.
  • Today is my official day off of them and I am 13 weeks today.
  • Hi ladies, Are any of you having your progesterone level monitored via blood work? The doctors office just called and said my level is 11.7 at 11 weeks. It was 12 when I started at 6 1/2 weeks then 16 at 9 weeks. They want me to go for an ultrasound but of course it’s the end of the business day on a Friday so now I am going to be anxious all weekend. Does anyone know if it’s normal for progesterone levels to drop as the placenta starts to take over? That’s what I’m praying for.
  • @suchaglencoco I think I might wean myself as well, just to keep my mind at ease. The NP told me it wasn't necessary to wean, but I think for my sanity I need to. I will do 1 a day for the next few days.

@MrT723 I haven't had mine monitored at all, only the one time when they found it was low, and then a week later to make sure the supplements were working. I meant to ask if I should get it tested to make sure the placenta has taken over, but I forgot to. I'm going to call monday and ask about that. 
  • @tacosandvirginmargaritas I was going to suggest the same thing. As far as I understand, it is ok to keep taking them so if it gives you some assurance, I would continue or wean yourself off (Maybe every second day or some kind of lesser schedule). 

@MrT723 It was my understanding that the placenta takes over for hormone production, which is usually why your symptoms start to disappear. I do not know how this appears in blood work though. Is there someone at the office that you can ask? It's a pretty general question that isn't specific to your levels so they may be willing to answer it over the phone. 
  • @mrt723, I would think that the levels would not drop, but would instead rise.
    I say this because I know some women start to get weekly progesterone shots around 16 weeks to help try to keep them from going into preterm labor.
    Again, this is all just an assumption on my part. 
  • abhphillyabhphilly member
    edited November 2017
    @suchaglencoco I’m starting those shots next week! I’m a little scared. Anyone else getting Makena injections? I’ll be doing them 16-36 weeks. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @abhphilly I did not. I have a friend who did them last pregnancy and this pregnancy and she said they'e fairly easy.
    I did do progesterone shots twice daily up until week 12 when I was pregnant last time, and honestly they weren't too bad.
  • I was on Endometrin 100 (mg?) suppositories. I took 2 per day from 5w to about 8w, then 1 per day until 9w, then stopped.
    My TTC journey:
    Me and DH: 30-35
    Unexplained infertility
    TTC #1 since 2015
    11/2015 - BFP!     12/2015 - MC  :'(
    IVF #1 July 2017 freeze all (20 eggs, 15 mature, 10 fert, 6 blasts, 4 PGS normal)
    FET #1 TBD  Surprise BFP 9/2017 while waiting for FET... hoping for the best!

Pregnancy Ticker

• I stop my progesterone suppositories at 13 weeks. I have never had a level checked I think it's just protocol for having done IVF.