July 2018 Moms

Cloth Diaper Mama Check In!

Any other cloth diaper mama's? I know there has to be some! Would love to have a weekly check in to see how your stash is looking or for any mamas thinking about cloth Diapering and need some advice!!

Re: Cloth Diaper Mama Check In!

• Here! Didn't for first, but definitely will this time. I'd already done the looking and testing with my son before this pregnancy and decided to go with GroVia. It's just been the diaper to stay the cleanest on, leak the least, and been the easiest to clean after use. I plan on just making a small order every pay check to build up the stash to avoid initial sticker shock, lol. The SUPER fun part is going to be getting my husband to install the sprayer ;)  
    Ziggy       <3 07/2018-08/2018 <3
    Micah      <3 10/2015
    #recurrentpregnancylossawareness
  • Hooray! I love fluffy butts! We did part time cd last time, and I'm excited to get into it again! OOh! and I just got an email that GroVia is discontinuing two of their colors, a pink and a blue, so they're on sale. I haven't pulled out our stash yet to look at it, but I think the only things I need to bulk up on are newborn aios, and get a new sprayer, diaper pail, and maybe a few new wet bags.  It's going to be interesting with this baby, because I was in a more-or-less one story last time, and now we have three levels we actively use in this house. I don't want to have multiple baby things on each level, but I think it may be unavoidable when it comes to diapering. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I am interested in cloth diapers now that we have a house and washing machine but I have no idea where to start. 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• I didn’t CD with my first two but I’m kind of thinking about doing a hybrid type diaper this time. Maybe. I like the idea, but then I talk myself out of it
  • @lindsayleigh1989 It's tempting to jump in and start researching online if you're new and wanting to learn, but honestly it can get extremely overwhelming. The thing that helped me the most was going to a local baby store that carried cloth diapers, so I could get my hands on them and see how they worked. We even took a class, my husband and I, which helped dispel a lot of his worries and fears about CDs. Before I got to look at them and touch them, I couldn't keep all the names and acronyms straight. But once I'd seen them in person, I could picture what I was reading about and online research started to make sense rather than feeling overwhelming. 
  • Yay! Some new fluffy butts! @hillbillywife @lindsayleigh1989 if I can help in anyway please let me know. 

I started at 5 months with my daughter. We went through tons of trial and error and totally restashed 3 times
  • We decided we will be doing CDs this time around. Financially it just makes most sense for us. I have been researching, its absolutely overwhelming, but getting less so as I research more. Honestly my husband was on the fence but then I explained the costs difference and he's on board now.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

BabyFetus Ticker

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I thought about CD with my first but decided against it with everything I had going on (school, internship, work+ newborn). I think I'm seriously considering it this time, but how much extra laundry would I be looking at? I really, really despise laundry. 
  • I did some cloth diapering - the old fashioned type - with my boys, and I had a few I think all in one diapers with my youngest. I loved them. I really want to use all or mostly cloth this time around. I was planning on making some before, but I think I will just buy and register for some instead. 
  • @acunamatada I worry about the laundry factor too.
  • @acunamatada it completely depends on how many diapers you want to commit to. If you get enough to last you a week, you're looking at one more load per week. If you get enough for a few days at a time, you'll have to wash more often. If cost isn't an issue and you want to buy enough to make it two weeks, you'll still likely have to do two loads every two weeks depending on the size of your washer, because unlike clothes, diapers need a LOT of water to swish around in. I wouldn't do this personally if I didn't have a large washer and dryer in the house. But I didn't find that the laundry itself was a huge commitment. The folding can be tedious depending on what kind you get. I did All-in-ones mostly (more $ but more convenient for me) so I just had to fold em to look pretty, but all the folding and stuffing can take a bit longer if you do all-in-twos because it's like folding a bunch of socks over and over. 
  • Keep an eye out for sales, ladies! That's what I did between my daughter and this baby, just kept buying one or two here and there as they went on sale. We did the flats and covers for the newborn months, but I've slowly bought up a decent stash of newborn AiOs, and bought a BUNCH from a friend of mine who had twins, went to town, and her husband ended up hating CDs.  Sales are great, and honestly, nothing wrong with geantly used. 
  • @christycalifornia
    what would you recommend for newborn all in ones?
  • edited November 2017
    @AKFarmerBecky I don't have a ton of experience with them because I bought mine after my kid was big enough for real AIOs, but I really, really love the grovia brand. They're eco-friendly materials, hemp/cotton core is super absorbent, fit slim, closest to a real diaper, I've never had any leaks, and they come in nice, saturated, solid colors. Prints, too, but solids are their main. The ones I got from my friend are a bunch of random fuzzy ones, and I'm not sure of the brand. I actually really liked flats and covers for the first 2/3 months. It was really easy once you got the hang of it, and WAY cost effective. But once we switched to AIOs after the newborn phase i just loved the convenience and the lesser bulk, so I started buying them up slowly ever since. 

ETA the newborns in Lotus and Topaz colors (honestly my two favorites) are only $11.96 right now!!! if I wasn't broke till payday I'd buy four!
  • Two PSA's for people considering cloth diapers: a tip and a product plug.

First, if you've done regular diapers before, know cloth are not the same in how frequently you can change your kid. You know how in regular diapers you can kind of fudge it if they only pee a little, and wait until the next pee? Or, like my hospital told me, you don't have to wipe every diaper if it's just pee? With CDs you have to change them every time they're a little bit wet, and you have to wipe their little booty totally dry every time. I didn't know this at first, and my week-old daughter got a raging, angry diaper rash because I left wetness next to her teeny tiny bottom. I figured it out quickly, and honestly she never got a rash again. CDs are GREAT for diaper rash, so long as your kiddo's not sitting in them damp. You can mitigate the wetness with microfiber lining a bit, but honestly you are regularly checking for wetness and changing diapers at the least amount of damp. The upside is the baby can really feel it, so they let you know when they're wet and uncomfortable. That was just something I didn't know when we started, and I would have loved to be told as part of the consideration process.

And I just wanted to put in a plug for Grovia if you all have never tried them. They're a lesser known brand, and have some amazing innovations in their diapers. I've tried most of the major brands; did a lot of bumgenius, several rumparoos, a few thirsties, but tended to buy more heavily on the eco-friendly materials side. I loved Moraki for their materials and mission, but found them a bit bulky and for sure cost prohibitive. Grovia lets you get a bulk discount, whic helps the wallet. If you've never checked out their O.N.E. diaper it really is amazing, and great for customizing absorbency. It came out when we were close to done with CDs and I wish I'd gotten more of them earlier. I love the button panel and fit on their normal AIOs because I never had trouble fitting tiny jeans over them, they fit so slim. I've heard they're not the best for super chunky babies, long-term, because of the fit, and some moms with big kids would have to other diapers for later years. But I had a normal sized kid, and she could fit them until she was two, and prob beyond. (At that point we were moving and I was NOT doing cloth during that three-month process.)
  • danrud36danrud36 member
    edited November 2017
    I have been cloth Diapering now for 2.5 years so I am absolutly happy to help anyone who needs it! And I just love talking about it. I also admin the cloth diaper auction page on Facebook which I think is by far one of the best places to get deal's on diaper a. We have almost 30k members now so literally every diaper possible. If anyone needs some one on one help I'm totally willing to chat I've text or th messenger! Just let me know. 

As far as laundry goes. It's not much. It's an extra load of laundry every 2-3 days deoending on stash size!
  • @danrud36 Ooh, link me to that page, please! You can DM if you want. 
  • i still feel so lost and overwhelmed by the concelt but @christycalifornia I had no idea about the diaper rash and changing so that is really good to know! 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• @lindsayleigh1989 Its all good honey! Just ask questions! We're happy to be a resource. And really, see if you have a local shop. It helps so much. 
  • I had wanted to cloth diaper with my daughter in 2014, but became so overwhelmed with all the options and wasn’t sure what to use or buy. I ended up not going with cloth. I am really wanting to learn more this time around and actually try to do cloth. Hopefully I can learn a lot of tips from you all and maybe get a stash started!
  • dreamalwaysdreamalways member
    edited November 2017
    @danrud36 can you please send me the link for the Facebook group. 
    Also, could you please tell me what you feel are the best to use for newborns and later years. Any tips would be extremely helpful and appreciated. Thank you! 
  • @christycalifornia thank you for all the info! I’m looking into those diapers now.  :) 
  • We did cloth for my first and plan on doing it again.  My favorite were Bumgenius Freetime, no pocket stuffing required!  I'll probably buy another 10-15 after baby is born.  Usually they're the cheapest straight from their website cottonbabies.com 
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • @dreamalways @christycalifornia

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1528816637432945&ref=content_filter

Link for the auction group. 

Brands are so hard to recommend. First I would suggest researching what type of diaper you want to use. Find some YouTube videos that explain the different ones. It IS very overwhelming at first. I remember feeling like I had no idea if I was ever going to get it but it does become very second nature after a while. Not even that long. You just have to take the plunge and do it! Newborn is a tricky stage and a lot of people choose to just use sposies in lieu of getting a nb stash however I think prefolds are an excellent option for newborns because they are inexpensive and you go through so many. The bulk of my newborn stash is going to consist of these as well as workhorses. GMD is where most people buy their prefolds and workhorses. https://www.greenmountaindiapers.com the only thing is you have to learn how to find and snappi or pin prefolds but it isn't difficult. A few YouTube videos and some practice and you will get it. Workhorses are basically already folded and snapped/unwrapped prefolds. Prefolds and workhorses are not waterproof and require a PUL cover to be waterproof but for me while I'm at home because your changing so often I just stay aware of when they wet and don't use a cover at home. For on the go I will buy some nb PUL diapers. Some inexpensive options that I like  are THX and little joeys. Both are AIOs and require no stuffing. Very simple! 

Now if we want to get into cloth wipes I'll link you to my favorite store for them! https://etsy.me/2yRhj0C she sells 30 for 10$ of the 1ply I bought 90 when I first started and aside from loosing some theu lasted my entire 2.5 years of Diapering. With my wipes I just wet with water, popup fold them and put them in a buggies wipes container and they function just like disposables. My husband wasn't sure about wipes when we switched so I had to promise to make them just as easy as sposies and he found they are even easier! With sposies you usually wipes and change and roll the wipe up into the diaper. If you use disposable wipes you have to throw it away and then throw the diaper in the pail. If you use cloth wipes you can just roll it up all together and throw it in your pail. Easy peasy.

Pails: there are different options for pails. I used a flip top trash can with a pail liner. I had 2 planet wise pail liners that I rotated through. Another option is the large hangijng wet bag. I don't prefer this option becaude with diapers, the way to keep the stink away is air. It sounds kinda backwards but you want the most open option possible. If your diapers are closed up they are going to stink.

My advice is start with looking in YouTube. Find some cloth diaper for beginners videos and get acquainted with the different types of cloth diapers and decide what you might want to use. Pockets, All in one, All in 2, Fitteds, hybrid fitteds. Those are the main types. Then there are also hybrid systems like Gdiapers and flips that allow you to use washable and disposable inserts. Let me know If you have any more questions. I can do some more posts and what not or if you have any specific questions!
  • kmac103kmac103 member
    edited November 2017
    So much great advice on this post!

I’ve been cloth diapering number 1 for almost 2 years and plan on continuing with our second! My stash is HUGE lol I am in a local BST group and have snagged a ton of great barely used or never used pocket diapers and inserts including about 12 ADORABLE little girl diapers that my husband refuses to allow our son to wear lol He has two pink ones that I use and I guess that’s the quota of “girlie” diapers he’s allowed to use

Kylie M.

Baby #1 Born 12.16.2015

Baby #2 Due 7.13.2018

• I second prefolds for newborns unless A) you have a good amount of extra cash to spend, or B) absolutely plan on having more kids and cloth diapering them.

(For the record, prefolds are like old fashioned diapers; layers and layers of soft cotten folded into a rectangle and stitched together. You fold them on the baby, use a plastic snap to keep them together, and put on a waterproof cover. It's actually really easy once you practice once of twice.)

The reason for this is newborn diapers will get the least amount of use, time-wise, and you need more of them per day than you will when your baby is bigger. Depending on how big your kid is when born and how fast they grow they may grow out of them in a few weeks. My girl was 7lbs 2oz when born, and was in the lower percentile for weight so we used them for about three months. After she grew out of them, they became the BEST burp cloths, napkins, paper towels, etc ever. So you don't stop using them, whereas newborn All-in-Ones (AIO) or All-in-Twos (AI2) go in a drawer. 

Also, if you're considering a diaper service, most in my experience only do prefolds. Diaper services take away some of the cost savings, but can be really nice in the beginnibg, especially if it's only until you switch to a different kind when bigger. 

And you will want to switch, at some point. Prefolds are great, and cost-effective, but are bulky comparatively. A friend of mine did prefolds until a year and a half through a diaper service, until I let her borrow a few of mine. She noticed right away an increase in her daughter's mobility and speed, because she had better range of motion and less weight. 

This time around I do have a bunch of newborn AIOs, because I really enjoyed having one less step once we switched (just snapping on one diaper instead of putting on the prefold, then snapping on a cover), but that's because I've just bought them up over time, and from friends who didn't use/need theirs. It would have been financially burdonsome to buy them while getting the bigger diapers and all the other stuff we needed for the baby. I'm not at all saying they're bad to have, just much more money for a very small amount of use. 
  • edited November 2017
    So I grow bigger babies... 8lbs8oz for my first 9lb3oz for my second and both were 21.5inches at birth. How soon would they be out of newborn size? I think we used newborn sposies for a week or 2 before sizing up. But it's been 8 years so I can't remember!
  • edited November 2017
    I keep thinking of things I wish I'd known before I started, so here's three more tips if you're considering starting:

First, going online at first was overwhelming for me, mostly because there seemed to be so many ways of diapering/washing/storing, and everyone insisted their way was the way you HAD to do it. I really like the tone of the moms on this thread, even in saying brands are hard to recommend, because really there is no one-size-fits-all way to do this. It's all about what you like, your budget, your water/wash machine, and your lifestyle making cloth diapering work for you. Ask questions, but don't feel like you have to do what one person says jus because they say they're way is the only way. 

(That being said, one thing you have to do is use a natural, non-barrier diaper cream. Anything designed to keep moisture out like desiten will ruin your diapers.)

Second, I didn't take into account how much space cloth diapers take up when choosing my first diaper bag. I went with one with lots of pockets/compartments because that's what I liked in a purse. I could fit two cloth diapers in there. Big, open pockets are best, because you can fit about ten disposable diapers in the space two or three clots take up. Plan accordingly. 

Third, make cloth diapers (CD) work for you and your life. They shouldn't be a burden. I wanted to CD because of cost savings, early potty training, and saving the earth, but I didn't want to be fanatical about it. We took disposables on vacations, any time I was going to be out of the house more than half a day, and kept a few in case I just couldn't get to folding laundry fast enough. I tried the swimmers and honestly didn't like them, so we used the disposable Dory's with everyone else. If you want to CD 24/7 and never have anything unnatural touch your baby's booty, my hats off to you. But don't let anyone make you feel badly, or like if you don't do 100% why bother. Figure out what works for you, and do that. 
  • @coco2787 are the Freetime the ones with two flaps made of microfiber? If so, I think I have around 4-10 (memory is fuzzy) that got used once or twice if ever. They weren't my favorite, they fit my daughter really oddly and anything synthetic was hard on her skin so  we only used the natural stuff after awhile. I'd have to look when I pull out my stash in a few months, but if you love them I'll be happy to sell them to you cheap. 

@kmac103 Hahaha that's so funny! I deliberately bought "boy" AND "Girl " patterns last time because I love seeing little girls in robots and boys in flowers. If my next is a boy, he's wearing the pink with the blue, and the flowers with the sharks! :D
  • @danrud36 I posted to join the group! One of my friends from my last BMP is already in it!
  • danrud36danrud36 member
    edited November 2017
    @AKFarmerBecky you won't be in newborns long and you might even be able to get away with starting with OS. For you it might be more cost effective to start in newborn sposies for the week or 2 weeks before baby can fit well into OS. 

Going online IS super overwhelming. I almost cried and quit because it is just so much info. Then picking and buying your first stash. Start by figuring out what system will work for you via YouTube. Most start with pockets and/or AIOs. After that dive into brands. If you let me know your budget I can help with diaper brands to keep you inside your budget. The sticker shock gets people. My first stash was about 500$ but you have to remember that that is IT. No matter how many kids you have that is IT. Except for washing expenses which I minimal thays it. Unless yoir insane like me and prefer diapers thag cost way more than I should spend for something to catch poo
  • @AKFarmerBecky yeah, with those size kids I wouldn't even bother. Do prefolds for sure over AIOs, or even disposables then switch if you don't want to make an investment on something you may only use a few weeks. Newborn cloths do actually go up pretty high, about 12-16 lbs usually, and bigger AIOs or AI2s usually fit pretty small, depending on the brand (some as low as 10 lbs, which sounds like your kids would hit in a few weeks). The reason people like to use newborn sizes is because even though the larger sizes do go pretty small, they can be very overwhelming on a newborn frame and tough to get a good fit with, which can lead to leaks. More than weight for CDs though, frame is important, so if you know your kids tend to be stocky with big thighs early, I'd just wait. 
  • @christycalifornia yes the Freetime are the ones with two flaps.   They did recently come out with an organic cotton version as well, but if you didn't like you fit then you probably wouldn't like those either.   I  might take you up on your offer though, I'll let you know.  

I second using prefolds for newborns.   Even the ones that say they should fit eight pounders are still pretty bulky for newborns.  
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • @coco2787 I did get a bunch of elementals and they fit her great when she was bigger. My kiddo just never got super chunky, and I loved the slimmer-fit diapers. But I loved the elementals for night time!
  • Just approved someone into the auction group who said they found the link here
  • It's def about what you prefer. I prefer fluffy diapers because I'm weird
  • @danrud36
    That was me! Krista is my friend. <3
  • Two things: 1) For some reason only half of my post actually posted. Dumb technology. 2) In the part of my post that didn’t show up, I said I hadn’t had any leaking problems with my son since realizing he was a heavy wetter and started using two inserts. Well, jokes on me. He just leaked all over me

Kylie M.

Baby #1 Born 12.16.2015

Baby #2 Due 7.13.2018

• Omg it did it again! What the heck?! Why isn’t it posting my whole post?! Imma bout to fight my phone

Kylie M.

Baby #1 Born 12.16.2015

Baby #2 Due 7.13.2018