Infertility

Waiting it out- anyone else?

Re: Waiting it out- anyone else?

• @J1006...... What kind of questions did you ask? And if you don't mind me asking, what is your diagnosis ?
    I just did my testing yesterday so I should be having my consult some time next week. I'm actually planning to do my IVF cycle early Feb so I'm using these few months to get my eggs in tip top shape.
    Me:28 DH:33
    01/10/12 : First ectopic pregnancy  :'(
    Dx:PCOS
    2012-2015: TTC #2 (2 rounds of clomid + metformin)
    04/13/15: Second ectopic pregnancy  :'(
    02/29/16: Third ectopic pregnancy  :'(
    Tubal Infertility
    Married: 2/11/17  <3
    7/21/17 : Consult with RE  :#
    10/12/17 : Second consult with a different RE
    1st IVF Cycle scheduled for Feb 2018
    02/13/18 : ER
    (22 follies,16m Eggs, 11 fert, 5 blasts)
    02/18/18 : ET 
    - 2 beautiful blast 3AA,2AA (highest quality)
    02/27/18 : First Beta - 193!!!
    03/01/18 : Second Beta - 546

• @mrsa2017. Right now we have an MFI diagnosis. Low count and extremely poor morphology. Everything looked okay on my end, but we had four failed medicated IUIs with donor sperm so maybe that's not the case. All hormone testing is fine. HSG was normal. Today I get a day 3 ultrasound and STD testing along with genetic testing. If I come back as a carrier for anything then DH will get genetic testing. Next week I have a SHG. I asked a lot about the timeline. She said once all of our testing comes back we will sit down again and talk about details and our plan of action. She said IVF with ICSI is the way to go along with embryo testing. She seemed very confident that we are good candidates for successful IVF. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @tosh24. I have Endo on my bowel. Decending Colon more specific, a large lesion that penetrates the bowel muscle wall and bleeds every month rectally along with AF. (sorry, TMI haha) My RE did not want to remove it as that will require resecting the intestine, which can cause complications. She thinks that pregnancy is the best treatment for endo, so wanted to either put me on Lupron for 6 months, or IVF. We picked IVF, and will follow up with Lupron after nursing if necessary. Most have my pain has been easily controllable with a progestin only birth control. But even with that large lesion present, RE said shouldn't impact IVF success. Also they "zapped" all of the other endo on my uterus, and other organs, and my cycle pain is no different. Still severe. That said I wanted the Lap just to KNOW what was causing all my trouble, and to assess my IVF success chances before spending the money. Best of luck whichever route you choose!
    -Steph

Me:28-Severe Endometriosis  DH:30 -Excellent

Spring 2008-Started TTC
    Fall 2011"Unexplained Infertiltiy"-3 IUI's with Clomid-All BFN
    Spring 2013-Divorce
    Feb 2017-RE Consult "unexplained Infertiltiy"
    Mar, Apr, May 2017-Letrozole/Ovidrel/IUI-BFN's
    July 2017-Laproscopy/Hysteroscopy-"Severe Endometriosis with Bowel Lesion not removed"
    November 2017-IVF-14-Retrieved, 7 Mature, 6 Fertilized(ICSI) 0 embryos. Fertilized did not divide.
    New d(x)-Egg problem

• Thanks for sharing your experience @steph8986! I'm not dead set on having the lap if my new RE thinks we should just down regulate for a bit and then go straight into IVF - I guess my thinking is that I just wanted to make sure that there weren't going to be any issues with accessing my ovaries and also adhesions/having my uterus expand with pregnancy. Well, also my bowel since I have a lot of bowel/rectal pain with AF. But I have sort of put a "stop" on TTC once the possibility of a 2018 baby is out the window, so March will probably be when I call it quits. If I can't get have my lap, recover, complete an IVF cycle and move on to FET by March at the latest, then I'll probably choose to forgo the lap and reschedule it for after March when I'm done TTCing. I just got my appointment time yesterday for my new RE which is October 24th, so I guess we'll see what he says.    

Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• @J1006 Will you be using the same donor again?... I hope all of your tests come back good. So this time you are trying with your H sperm?
    Both DH and I did a genetic test at the first consult we had with an RE in Florida and found out that we have alpha-thalassemia (which I knew I had since high school but not my husband) so I'm wondering if my new RE in Barbados, who we are having the consult with next week, will suggest ICSI .. God I hope not since we're OOP.

@tosh24 @steph8986 boy that Endo is really bad news. A close friend of mines has it and I feel so bad when I hear how painful it is and how what she goes through during AF. 
    Tubal Infertility

• UGH I got AF today and because DH is starting a new job soon and we'll be in insurance weirdness, we're putting TTC on hold for a few months
    image image
  • Ugh, @FloridaStanley, I'm sorry you've hit another delay in your journey! 
  • Meds are here and 24 days until Baseline. Just a LITTLE more waiting....lol
    -Steph

Me:28-Severe Endometriosis  DH:30 -Excellent

Spring 2008-Started TTC
    Fall 2011"Unexplained Infertiltiy"-3 IUI's with Clomid-All BFN
    Spring 2013-Divorce
    Feb 2017-RE Consult "unexplained Infertiltiy"
    Mar, Apr, May 2017-Letrozole/Ovidrel/IUI-BFN's
    July 2017-Laproscopy/Hysteroscopy-"Severe Endometriosis with Bowel Lesion not removed"
    November 2017-IVF-14-Retrieved, 7 Mature, 6 Fertilized(ICSI) 0 embryos. Fertilized did not divide.
    New d(x)-Egg problem

• I had my SHG this morning. OMG. Worst thing ever. My RE was not at all gentle when she had to clean my cervix THREE times. Luckily everything looks good! No polyps, cysts, or fibroids. 
  • @J1006 Seriously?! I thought only the HSG hurts? Dang I know I will have to do one of those but I really thought that it would not be as bad as having a HSG done.
    Tubal Infertility

• @mrsa2017. I thought the same thing!!! I think it was just my doctor. It was way shorter than my HSG though. 
  • @J1006 I would've been upset and say ouch really loud lol... 
    Tubal Infertility

• Hi Ladies!

I posted here a few weeks ago but kinda disappeared because of the wedding craziness - we got married on the 24th and it was an amazing day!  Everything went perfect and we had a great time on our honeymoon!

So had my first appt back with my RE yesterday and he feels that the IUI isn't working for us.  We've tried various combos of meds and insemination and nothing has worked as of yet.  Apparently my eggs are super healthy, hubbys sperm is super healthy, my uterus is fine and my tubes are fine.  So he's diagnosing me as "unexplained" *sigh*.  I kinda knew that was coming but it sucks not knowing why we are having trouble getting pregnant.  He wants us to stop spending money on IUI (in his opinion physically injecting the sperm is not doing anything to increase our chances because DH sperm is fine motility wise and my tubes are fine as well).  He thinks the problem is lying with the actual fertilization which means our next step is IVF.  Considering we are saving for a house and just paid for a wedding (though we budgeted super hard for the wedding and actually didn't spend that much on it) the financial aspect is quite daunting.  I hate that our insurance doesn't cover any of this.  We are trying to figure out if we can do it without taking out any loans and I think we can manage the two round package the clinic is offering.  

On the bright side I love how excited my husband is to be a dad.  I was worried about telling him the cost of everything when I got home, worried he might be like "lets wait for awhile longer" (he didn't come to the appt because we werent sure if it would be a regular consult or if he would just be rechecking me before my next cycle started and he is low on vacation time at work).  But when I got home he gave me a hug and said basically - we can do this, we will figure out how to save the money and we are going to do the IVF!  I was so happy to hear he was just as motivated as I am to move forward!  

We did decide that we are going to take two cycles and try naturally - with a bit of help from meds that the RE prescribed to help my follicle growth (basically the stuff I was taking for IUI just without the monitoring and insemination).  Then once we have the financials figured out, and if we are still not pregnant we will start IVF at the end of December.

This whole process is just so stressful!  I wish we could just start right away but I think we are making the right decision to take two months and get the financial stuff squared away so we aren't stressing so much about the money once we are underway! 

Thanks for reading this super long post!!!!!!
  • @thothscribe81 congratulations! And welcome to the dugout aka the wait...
    I too recently got married and we plan to have our first IVF cycle Feb 2018 if all goes to plan (IVF seems to not always start when you want it too) in Barbados. My country does not have ART and no insurance company covers infertility either so we're fully OOP as well. We actually are still saving to do IVF but we believing God to make a way for this to happen.
     My DH and I had a consult in July with an RE in Florida but we decided to go with Barbados (recommendations from a friend) and so we're still waiting for our phone consult with the RE there. All of my initial testing hasn't come back yet so I had to reschedule the appointment three times already.
    I have PCOS and no tubes due to TW** 3 ectopic pregnancies** but my husband is good.
    Hopefully you get KU in this two month wait but if you happen to find yourself back here then we're all here to support each other.
    Tubal Infertility

• @thothscribe81. I know the financial part can be really scary. I was super nervous to hear the numbers. Ask your office if they offer a payment plan option. Ours offered a down payment and then monthly payments for 12 months. That made the overall number not look so bad.  
  • @J1006 .... Oh wow I didn't think clinic's did payment installments. 
    Tubal Infertility

• @mrsa2017. I didn’t either. I was pleasantly surprised. The only thing not included is the drug cost which is understandable.  The finance lady I was taking to said this is just how they bill it. We can pay in full upfront if we want, but there isn’t an advantage to doing so. This takes so much stress away!!
  • @J1006 that's great news..  Now you can just focus on doing what needs to be done and not worrying about the financial aspect of it. 
    Tubal Infertility

• I've been kind of MIA lately. *TW* (loss mentioned) I had my 2 month f/u from my d&c last week and we made a plan to start TTC again. My body hasn't done a darn thing like usual (no period, lining was only 5mm) so I'm on provera to give me a period. Then I'll start femara and have another SHG done to make sure the miscarriage/d&c didn't damage my lining and if all is well we'll proceed with an IUI at the end of the month/beginning of November. I am so ready. So many of my friends are announcing their pregnancies and it seems so many are having girls (which is what I lost). Lots of reminders of what could have been. 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• @thothscribe81 Congratulatuons on getting married! My DH and I are also diagnosed as “unknown” infertility. My RE thinks it’s due to scar tissue from a previous surgery I had for Crohns. I am on day 3 of my stim meds. I’m on Menopur and Follistim for our first IVF cycles. I’m hoping that if they can just get the fertilized egg in there it will take. 
  • @J1006 @mrsa2017. I had two shgs and they were each totally different experiences!  The first, he was actually doing it as a less expensive option over HSG, since we were OOP, to also try and check if my tubes were open, along with the ute situation.  Plus, I don't think he did them very often.  It was awful and my palms were so sweaty and i was like omg what am I getting myself into, will I be able to handle labour here!?!?  Etc.  Omg.  So bad.

But the next shg I had, my current doctor was so gentle and didn't actually have to fully dilate the uterus to see what she needed to see.  She did find a polyp, so she said she ended up using more fluid than usual because of that, but I honestly barely felt a thing.  So moral of the story, don't necessarily assume every experience is going to be awful.  ;)  I have heard some women barely feel the HSG, too, so I think it really depends.

@thothscribe81. Welcome!  And congrats on the wedding, and having YH on the same page regarding treatment.  That is huge!!!

AFM, I started BCPs over the weekend, so I'm just waiting for my polypectomy on Oct 18th.  So close!  Then we can move onto FET prep for early November.  I don't know what day yet, but I figured out if it's the week she said it might be, I could be +/- 40 days away from transfer!  I thought that was pretty cool to think about, kind of like the biblical season of waiting, too. ;)  It somehow makes it easier to handle when I think about it like that.
  • @mrsa2017  Thank you!  I hate the OOP expense of infertility - its so challenging!!  We are having to decide between buying a house and having a child which sucks.  We decided to save for IVF for an extra few months so we don't have to borrow anything and then get a house in a year or two.  Luckily my company has a nice HRA plan which gives me some money I can use towards OOP expenses, but it doesn't come near covering an IVF cycle!  But every little bit helps!!

@J1006  Unfortunately our office doesn't offer a payment plan, full payment is due at the time of starting the cycle.  They do offer recommendations for some loan programs designed for people undergoing fertility treatment as well as a percentage off when you apply and are approved for their low income program (I think its 10 or 15% off which isn't much but every little bit will help - we just aren't sure if we will meet the criteria, I think we are right on the edge of making "to much" money, ugh!)  We decided just to keep saving and we will put off buying a house for a bit.

bassetlover1  Thank you!  The wedding was amazing and I'm so excited to be married to my husband!  Luckily we had started the whole infertility process when we were engaged so we've been through some of the tough times already before we even got married!   DH is super supportive and its awesome how much he wants this baby too!  I definitely don't feel alone with him doing this along side me! Good luck to you on your journey as well!

• I’m finally back! I had hysterscopy and laparoscopy today. They only removed the polyp that we knew about. No uterine septum or endometriosis (which I was worried about personally). So back to TTC after I get my next period! 
  • @BusinessWife I hope my experience is a good one. I will definitely update you all when I have mines done. 

@thothscribe81 We have been saving from after we got married so a lot of stuff we wanted to do got put on hold. DH and I will actually be going through our IVF cycle on our anniversary trip (if all goes to plan)... We're killing two birds with one stone since we planned to go to Barbados. Because IVF is not a 100% guarantee the first time, I convinced my husband to do IVF this early.

@mrsjcrane Glad everything went well for you. welcome back to the dugout lol
    Tubal Infertility

• @dmo1371 Hi! How are things going? Have you moved ahead with a new cycle? How was your SHG?

TFAS since 2012

Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!

• Hi everyone! I guess I belong here now. Before attempting to transfer my last PGS normal embryo, I will do an ERA cycle. So that’s put me at mid December for ERA and late January for transfer...
    TTC history in spoiler box:
    Me: 42, single
    Hysteroscopy: 2013
    IUI #1-2: 2013 BFN
    Surgery 10/2015: Planned to start trying again but had a surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    Surgery 5/2016: Planned to start trying again but had another surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    IUI  #3-5 (with Clomid): summer 2016 BFN
    IVF #1: 11/2016. 30R; 21M; 20F; 8B (6 day5 & 2 day6); 4 normal after PGS
    Medicated FET #1: 1/31/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFP. Embryo stopped growing at 6w 1d. MUA at 9w 3d.
    Medicated FET #2June 2017 - cancelled...
    Hysteroscopy #2: June 2017
    Medicated FET #2: 8/7/2017 transferred 1 embryo 5BB. BFP. Ended in CP.
    Medicated FET #3: 10/11/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFN
    ERA: December 2017 - need an extra 12 hours of PIO
    Medicated FET #4: 1/24/2018 transferred 1 embryo 4AA. BFN
    Out of embryos.  :'(
    IVF #2: 03/2018.

• @prudence9-2 welcome to the dug out. 
    I'm waiting on AF so I can do my HSG (my OB doesn't do SIS)  and my 3 last testing. I start stimming the first week of February so you will hopefully be PUPO just as I begin. 
    I have actually been following your journey and so sorry that your last transfer went the way it did.  Praying for everything to work out for you next time. 
    Tubal Infertility

• @mrsa2017 haha. Love your dug out comment! I will also probably start stimming around the same time.  I was told I could start everything at the end of October but then she changed her mind since my office closes for a month around Christmas. She said I wouldn’t be ready for retrevial by their closing date. So we will start everything in January. Month of BCP then I start stims. 

@prudence9-2. Welcome. Hopefully your wait goes by quickly!
  • Lol @J1006 well I'm guessing it'll be either you or me starting the Feb IVF
    Tubal Infertility

• Thanks @mrsa2017 & @J1006 :)
    Surgery 10/2015: Planned to start trying again but had a surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    Surgery 5/2016: Planned to start trying again but had another surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    Medicated FET #1: 1/31/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFP. Embryo stopped growing at 6w 1d. MUA at 9w 3d.

• How’s everyone doing? I started Lupron injections today and will continue it for the next 3.5 weeks more or less. With 2 ERA biopsies about 4-4.5 weeks from now...

• I'm doing good. How are you? @prudence9-2.. AF finally showed up yesterday, after 41 CD. I thought it would have regulated after taking myo-inositol for a few weeks but I guess I have to wait for my next flow to see. I also just scheduled my HSG (my OB does not do the SIS) at the hospital for next Wednesday. I'm hoping it won't be as uncomfortable as the first one I did 4 years ago since I have no tubes this time.

How come you're having 2 ERA biopsies done?
    Tubal Infertility

• tosh24tosh24 member
    edited November 2017
    Good luck with the biopsies @prudence9-2. I hope they give you some useful information.

AFM, I just had a hysteroscopy and endometrial biopsy yesterday. The biopsy was not the most pleasant thing in the world (slight understatement...) but it was over quickly so no biggie I guess. Uterine cavity and opening to the tubes look good. Should get biopsy results by Thursday and I'm hoping everything is OK there too. Got a call from my clinic that I can call in CD 1 for my IVF cycle anytime after November 6th, but I still haven't been able to confirm with them if that means I have an actual spot this month or if it's "first come, first served" and they'll let me know if there's still availability when I call in. I really hope it's the former. AF is due around Nov 22nd and I should O in the next couple of days, so I'd have to go in for my progesterone blood work and start estrogen priming next week. I'm going to try calling again today to see if I can get some answers and hopefully get this show on the road!

ETA: GL with your HSG @mrsa2017

TFAS since 2012

• @tosh24 I hope all looks good for you as well. And thank you I pray everything looks like it should next week.It is so crazy how a fertility clinic can have a "first come, first serve" approach with something that is sooooo important to a person. You are entrusting these people, to make decisions about what to do to your body and to care for your embabies, to seem like you're not a priority to them. I think that was also one of the reasons why I chose BFC as well, because I wanted a clinic where I felt like a priority and not just another number.
    I wish that everything goes really well for you and this cycle be your cycle for a THB.
    So you can possibly be stimming this month or next?!
    Tubal Infertility

• Thanks @mrsa2017! Yeah, I totally wouldn't purposely choose a clinic where I felt like just a number. I'm actually at a super awesome clinic and I LOVE my RE. I'm in Canada and where I live we have an IVF program that is funded by the government where every woman gets one "free" (government-funded) cycle of IVF where they don't have to pay anything for the IVF cycle or any subsequent FETs that may result from frozen embryos. The catch is that there is only a certain amount of funding from the government each year and different clinics have dealt with the limited funding in different ways. Some have chronological waitlists and some use more of a lottery system. So, I wasn't sure which category my clinic fell into which is why I was stressing! If you want to do a private cycle where you pay OOP for IVF, you can start that anytime you want - the clinic does not make you wait. I finally got a call from the office yesterday and they confirmed that I am on the cycle list for November so I will be starting my estrace next week and then waiting for AF to get started with stims! I have moved over to the November IVF board but I'll still be lurking over here to keep up with all of you :)

TFAS since 2012

• @tosh24 Wow .. Any type of funding is so great, knowing that a lot of persons have to pay OOP for every cycle (like myself). It is a real blessing that you got an RE that you love as well. I understand now why it's that way, thanks for shedding some light on that. YAAAAAAAAAAAAY for starting this month, that is so exciting. I am actually crossing off the days so they can go by faster lol, I am so ready to get started. I still have my HSG and 3 more blood tests to get through and then BCP hopefully if AF behaves this month.
    Tubal Infertility

• Good luck with the last leg of your prep work @mrsa2017. Hope everything goes smoothly!

TFAS since 2012

• @mrsa2017 & @tosh24 thanks! 

The reason they do two biopsies is that they have two data point of whether it is receptive. That way I won’t have to do a repeat era the following month. 

@mrsa2017 good luck with the HSG. What blood tests do you have to do? I’m still waiting for the blood clots blood tests panel that I’ve done a week ago. 

• tosh24 said:
    @dmo1371 Hi! How are things going? Have you moved ahead with a new cycle? How was your SHG?

@tosh24 - Sorry I haven't been on the bump in a while so I'm just seeing this. My SHG was a couple weeks ago and it was normal. I was on femara already (we were assuming the SHG was normal and didn't want to put off trying a cycle) but I didn't respond to it as well as my last 3 cycles. My RE re-dosed me and I just had another monitoring ultrasound today (which is CD 23) with 24mm and 17mm follicles so I'll have my IUI tomorrow. I'm so glad to be trying again and not stuck waiting. 

How are you? It looks like you are starting IVF soon. I'm so glad you found this clinic and it's covered for you!!!!!
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• @tosh24 thanks love. I'm almost up to bat but you will be up way before me lol

@prudence9-2 OK I understand now. And thank you as well. I have those 3 antibody tests to complete and I'll be done.  
    I actually get light-headed,  while sitting down to get my blood drawn. I'm trying to wrap my head around getting stick during stim... You must be in the hall of fame of needle sticking by now huh

Tubal Infertility