Infertility
Options

Infertility and proposed tax reform

Hi everyone,

I want to encourage you to call your senators and congressional representatives about the proposed new tax plan. It proposes eliminating tax deductions for medical expenses that exceed 10% of your annual income (read: infertility treatments not covered by insurance), AND to eliminate the adoption tax credit. Please help women going through infertility be able to afford to grow their families. 

https://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

https://www.house.gov/representatives/

Re: Infertility and proposed tax reform

• Options
    @beanship Horrible!!! As if its not hard enough already! Thank you... will make time to call soon!
  • Options
    @beanship That was my first thought this morning when I heard that on the news! I hope they revise and keep medical deductions! I am so glad we decided to push through for this year just in case that bs passes!
    -Steph

Me:28-Severe Endometriosis  DH:30 -Excellent

Spring 2008-Started TTC
    Fall 2011"Unexplained Infertiltiy"-3 IUI's with Clomid-All BFN
    Spring 2013-Divorce
    Feb 2017-RE Consult "unexplained Infertiltiy"
    Mar, Apr, May 2017-Letrozole/Ovidrel/IUI-BFN's
    July 2017-Laproscopy/Hysteroscopy-"Severe Endometriosis with Bowel Lesion not removed"
    November 2017-IVF-14-Retrieved, 7 Mature, 6 Fertilized(ICSI) 0 embryos. Fertilized did not divide.
    New d(x)-Egg problem

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    adc0417adc0417 member
    edited November 2017
    Oh no!! I hope they keep the deductions specially for ppl like us who have no insurance coverage for fertility treatments.
  • Options
    Are you kidding?! This is ridiculous. It’s hard enough paying for this out of pocket, now they want to take away the little that we can get back. I will call on Monday. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    It made a huge difference for me to be able to claim medical deductions the last two years, for what I've spent out of pocket on IUIs and IVF.

The medical deduction is popular across the board, with both Democrats and Republicans. I think politicians will pay attention to these phone calls.
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)