May 2017 Moms

Anyone still here? 11/2

Just wondering how everything is going. Anything new?

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

Re: Anyone still here? 11/2

• Nothing new here. Still waking up every 1.5 to 2 hours at night, lo is now 5.5 months and I will have to do some sleep training soon. 

For some reason I am excited to put up my christmas tree and decorations already, I will resist the temptation though until after thanksgiving. However I hate that they already play christmas music on the radio.

I've already started my Christmas shopping too, we have such a large family I get overwhelmed when I shop last minute like I usually do.
  • I am with you @lrwardrop on resisting the temptation. I am excited to get some new stockings. Now that DD can be added to the bunch, it means I can get new fun ones for all of us.

Do you know what type of sleep training method you want to use? I only trained DS1 and I used a mashup of information I read online. I never trained DS2 because he slept through the night early on, however I am really struggling with him now.  The struggles with him make me want to do some sort of training with DD so that she doesn't fall into the same trap of not being able to put herself to sleep in the future.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Loading the player...
  • New stockings are exciting. Last year we hung up babies stocking even though he wasnt born yet. I have a nice combo of buffalo check and fur. I got these cute name tags on etsy that hang with the stockings.

With ds1 I used the sleep sense program by Dana obelman. I had to pay almost 100$ for the material I think but it was well worth it because he was a terrible sleeper as well. By night 3 he was sleeping 12 hours. Since I knew what to expect I've tried to impliment some of the strategies early on to get him to self soothe but I haven't stuck with it. I think I have let him nurse to sleep too much, also he uses a pacifier.

The program basically tells you that you need to eliminate sleep props, have a consistent bedtime routine and put them to bed awake. Not too different from any other advice ive read. 

Ds1 has been great sleeper ever since I did the sleep training. Naturally we have had some regressions but try to stick with the consistent bedtime routine although my husband falls for his stalling techniques. I think at some point most kids need some sort of sleep training.
  • Still here... I thought last week's post was the last for this board. Glad you're both still here.

Seems like sleep is our #1 issue for both boys. We never did sleep training for DS1 and yeah, totally regret that. Is training at 2 too late? Also, we've developed some pretty bad sleep habits with DS2 during this hellish 4-5 month period. All this change (move to new house, addition of caregiver=grandma, etc.) didn't help either. Now, I'm looking at a new shift so that I can be home for bedtime. I'm 99% sure the position is mine but just need to wait until it's posted. Maybe once I'm home for bedtime, i can start training? I feel like MH isn't too consistent with DS1's bedtime routine despite all the discussion around it.  My mom is with DS2 3-4 nights a week until I get home from work and even though she tries to follow a routine, it's pretty hard for her if DS2 had a "rough-no-nap kind of day. So, to say the least, bedtime is pretty inconsistent.  

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• I've been popping back in recently to see what's up. Little man will be 6 months Sunday, so this weekend, we are starting solids. We are doing baby-led weaning, so no puréed foods. He can get his nutrients from breast milk and just play with food at first. 
  • @mrsrep123 I dont think its too late to do a little sleep training with your toddler, although it may be more difficult. Maybe just small changes gradually to work toward your goals? I'm not sure. Toddlers are soooo moody . My toddler knows how to work my hudband and stay awake longer each night by asking to cuddle.. Or play.. Or he needs a snack...Then a drink.. Etc. He used to go to bed at 730pm now he's up until about 815pm. 

@MollyandD for some reason I never really understood baby led weaning. Why not just give them baby food? Not trying to judge you but I actually am curious as to why. 
  • lrwardrop said:

@MollyandD for some reason I never really understood baby led weaning. Why not just give them baby food? Not trying to judge you but I actually am curious as to why. 
    That's a great question. There are a lot of reasons that I liked from reading the book. It saves time and makes meals a family event instead of feeding the baby separately. Baby led weaning babies tend to be less picky due to experiencing new flavors. Babies have more control over what goes in their mouths, so they get to manipulate and explore food before it is shoved to the back of the mouth on a spoon. Starting at the front of the mouth makes food easier to control. 
  • Thanks @lrwardrop. I forgot to add we are also starting potty training, lol. I'm hoping as he feels more like a "big boy" the other "big boy" behaviors will follow. Yeah, i think my toddler knows how to work MH like yours.

DS2 will be 6 months old on the 7th and we will start solids (yes, we did end up waiting). But, I've gotten him used to sitting in his chair at the table in the meantime. Just like his big brother, we will start with pureed food. I guess we're lucky in that he's a good eater and often tries new food, usually asking for it himself. 

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• @mrsrep123 how old is your toddler? Mine turned 2 in August and I think yours is around the same age. He doesn't seem like he's quite ready yet, ive been making him sit on the potty at his usual poop times but hes never went in the potty yet. I havent fully committed and gave it my full attention though. Once I get ds2 sleeping a little better ill start the potty training. Any tips? I hear boys are harder than girls and that closer to 3 is better for boys? 

@MollyandD did you do blw with another child or is this your first? I personally dont think baby food takes up much time and I usually feed baby while I eat my dinner as well. I did try blw a little with ds1 but I worried more about him choking, which he almost did when he bit a chunk of banana. After that I said ok baby food only. I do hear people rave about blw though.
  • @lrwardrop my toddler turned 2 at the end of July. I've heard the same as you in regards to timing and difficulty with boys, but he's been showing so much interest in it, even before ds2 was born. But, I listened to everyone and waited because I wanted to avoid another major change or any regression. We've been reading books (Daniel Tiger, Elmo), singing songs, having him sit on his potty (just introduced it this week as I've been off of work), and encouraging him to tell us before he has to go as opposed to telling us as he's going or when he's done like he's been doing. He is VERY regular and pretty much poops first thing in the morning and right after every meal so that's when I plan on sitting him on the potty. We make all of his big boy behaviors a big deal and the positive reinforement does seem to make a difference... hopefully it does the same for potty training! Good luck if you end up going for it!

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• @lrwardrop choking is actually less common with BLW than you think. It’s actually quite rare because they have control. Also keep in mind that real choking is usually silent if they can make noise, they can get air and will usually work it out on their own.

@mrsrep123 we potty trained at 18 months, for about 2 weeks he was perfect, then regressed really badly. He had been showing lots of interest but we put him back in pull ups. Then a week before he turned 3 he just gave up the diapers and we haven’t looked back. In almost a year he has only had 2 accidents. 
    Me - 22  |   DH - 32   |  Married - 24 May 2014
    DS - January 2014 
    TTC#2 - December 2015
    BFP - 6 March 2016  |  MC Confirmed - 21 March 2016
    TTCAL  |  April 2016
    CP  |  June 2016
    CP  |  July 2016
    BFP - 25 August 2016  |  Due Date - 11 May 2017
  • MollyandDMollyandD member
    edited November 2017
    @lrwardrop this is my first baby of my own. I worked with infants for years in child care and have a large family with infants. None of them have done baby-led weaning. I actually heard of it from my hypnobirth instructor and the lactation consultant in the hospital raves about it. Her grandson was a baby-led weaning baby, and she said that she was worried about him choking, but he never did. The book makes it clear that gagging is a natural safety measure and is not choking. True choking is rare and is why no child under one should be left unmonitored with food. 

Baby food doesn’t take up too much time, sure, but I like the idea of baby eating the same foods as everyone else for a few reasons. It’s less work, plus it’s motivation for my husband and me to eat healthier things. It’s messier, so clean up takes away from time saved compared to spoon feeding, but I’m ok with it. 
  • @redheeler maybe we'll take it nice and slow and see how it goes...

DS2 has switched up his eating habits and is taking around three 4-oz bottles through the night. Before this 4-5 month period, no bottle at night. When I'm home/on my days off, i try to get him to eat more during the day... although as I'm writing this, i suspect my mom has him snacking throughout the day. Looks like we need to have another chat...

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• Helloooooo. Our board is dying  :(:(

This weekend I did some sleep training with ds2 and its so hard. I took away his pacifier and he hasnt been very happy but he did sleep 10 hours in a row! He was waking up every 1.5 hours to eat and not going back to sleep. We have made such great progress but it is not easy. 
  • @lrwardrop This board really is likely on it's final thread :( Glad to hear your LO got in a 10 hour stretch. That's great news for both you and him.

The time change a few weeks ago messed with DD's sleep but I think she is finally starting to get back on track. I am hoping this Friday is her final PT appointment, but I am not holding my breath. I know I should be thankful that I have a healthy baby, but I feel like DD is having to "prove" herself so much more as a preemie than DS1 had to. I know each kid is different but she was born almost a full week later than he was and required less interventions in the NICU.  Yet, she has so many more appointments and follow ups than he did. The frustrating part is at every appointment they tell me she'd doing great but then still want to follow up.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• @mcvgal yes the time change is awful! My toddler gets up around 6am now. It gets dark at 530pm and it makes you not want to leave the house because its so cold and dark. 

That would be frustrating having to keep returning to the doctor. Thankfully she is healthy. My mom has been a nicu nurse for 25+ years. Since I grew up with a mom as a nurse we never went to the doctor unless we were very ill, I'm a little bit different as a mom but I would probably stop taking my kid to the doctor if they were perfectly fine. Its so much work planning appointments and finding a sitter for your other kids or taking them with you.  
  • @lrwardrop we got home yesterday at 540 and it was so dark I wanted to get everyone's bedtime routine started.

I don't know if it's hospital policy or if things have just really changed  since DS1 was born 6 years ago, but I had to sign a form stating that I was aware the not following through with the DD's appointments could lead them notifying Child Services. All they do is monitor her and make sure she is not falling behind in her development.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• @lrwardrop WOW! That's amazing! Please share what you did because DS2 is eating every 3 hours at night now. It's crazy!

@mcvgal That's great she's doing well but I can't believe they could call CPS on you?!

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• @mcvgal wow that's kind of crazy they would threaten that but sadly I bet its necessary for some.

@mrsrep123 I had to get rid of my baby's pacifier. Cold turkey. We have been doing a bedtime routine for a few months now which also is part of the program. Its been 6 days now and today was probably our best day. He fell asleep on his own in his crib for all 4 naps and at bedtime, the longest he cried was about 4 minutes. I stopped breastfeeding him to sleep, I feed him when he wakes up from his naps instead. I used to feed him to make sure he was full right before he slept but I read not to just feed them when they are tired because they associate that feeding with falling asleep. I did the same program with ds1 and he adapted much faster with very little crying. Ds2 cried f0r 40 minutes twice even with me next to him patting him. The whole process was very stressful this time around and I almost gave up but in the end worth it. I think ds2 had a much harder time because he's exclusively breastfed and I'm at home with him. I did the sleep sense program by dana obelman if anyone is interested. You can get the full program on her website, I like the daily coaching videos. Or you can buy the ebook on Amazon I believe. It works but it may not be easy depending on your child.
  • @lrwardrop THANK YOU! I'm definitely checking out her website.. RIGHT NOW. Luckily, I think ds2 is pretty much over his pacifier if that counts for anything. Fingers crossed - my boss texted me, said that position I've been waiting for was posted today and that we'll discuss it tomorrow! If I get it, I'll be home to put both boys to bed EVERY night! 

DS1 7/24/15

DS2 5/7/17

• @MollyandD what book did you read about BLW? DS turns 6 months bext week and I've been meaning to do more research about BLW. DS isn't quite sitting up totally unassisted and I've heard to not start BLW until baby can sit unassisted. 
  • @mrsrep123 yay ! Hopefully you get the position. Consistency at night will definitely help your ds2.
  • @luckywife10 I read “Baby-Led Weaning” by Gill Rapley and Tracey Murkett. So far it’s going great. We didn’t truly start until Tommy could sit up alone but we let him try some stuff when he sat assisted in our laps.