May 2018 Moms
Options

Question for STMs & beyond ... being a mother of boys

cuppylovecuppylove member
edited October 2017 in May 2018 Moms

I recently found out that baby #2 (& most likely last baby) is another boy. I am so excited and overjoyed, but I also have this slight sad feeling about the fact that I'll never get to experience having a little girl. 
I know there are definite ups and downs to raising both genders, but I'd love to hear from other mothers of boys...

-What surprised you about parenting only boys?
-What are some struggles and successes you've experienced?
-What are your words of advice?

Re: Question for STMs & beyond ... being a mother of boys

• Options
    So far we have 2 boys and we have no clue about this one. We won’t find out until 18 wks. I’m pretty sure it’ll be a boy (that’s what we make). I love having boys. They are so fun to run around with. They are really physical and energetic. It’s great for us because it keeps us going and in shape. Our boys are definitely adventurous!  I like that they are best friends and come up with games to play together. The clothes go right from ds1 to ds2’s closet.  The hardest part is that I grew up with a sister and we didn’t do all the wrestling and play fighting. They also have super short attention spans so there is no coloring for more than 5 mins or sitting quietly to play. 
    *I realize all of this can be true of girls also!  We have plenty of friends that have girls that act exactly the same way. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I have two boys already.  The oldest is 3.5 so I don't think there's been anything different in raising them vs raising girls yet.
    November Siggy Challenge

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have 2 boys (3.5 and2). Don't know what this one will be, but expecting a boy. I understand how you feel, I would love to raise a girl, though am happy to have lots more boys too. 
    This will be our last as DH doesn't want more. My boys are so energetic and fun. They are each quite different in character. I joke that even if we had a girl, she would just join in with the boys, so I really don't think it would make that much difference while they're little!
    My heart would really love to buy some baby dresses though! Lol
  • Options
    I have 2 boys, ages 4 and 5.5, and honestly I love it! I don't know what the girl experience is like so i don't know any differen- just my own experiences as 1 of 3 girls.

What surprised me?
    The farting. So much farting. And butts and penises and potty jokes are HILARIOUS. Also poop. Nothing funnier than a good poop joke. I guess I figured if we didn't make a big deal about laughing about farting and pooping then it wouldn't be? WRONG. So very wrong. WHY IS IT SO FUNNY??

Struggles and Successes?
    Potty training was such a struggle. Boy thing- I don't know- totally could be just my kids but they felt no real need to take time away from playing to go to the bathroom when they could just do it in their diaper and get changed when it was more convenient for them.

But they do love love playing together and that's been really fun to watch. They have each others back and it's really sweet. I love hearing them call each other "my brother". They are super close, though that is probably more the age gap than the gender. 

Advice-
    Embrace it! Get a Costco membership cause they're going to eat you out of house and home. And prepare for wrestling matches and broken lamps (according to the older one it was the dog- not buying it) and fireplaces (they cracked the glass on the fireplace playing "soccer academy"). But truly, I wouldn't trade my boys for anything and I would have no problem if the third is a boy too. 

My one rant is that everyone seems to think it's he end of the world if we have another boy and if one more person says "I hope you get your girl" I'm going to lose it!

• Options
    I LOVE having a little boy. He is so sweet and such a mama’s boy.  Tons of energy and just so fun to have around. To be honest though, I wouldn’t think too much about it, who knows what their personality will be like and I have seen plenty and boys and girls who don’t fit into gender stereotypes with their personalities.  
  • Options
    My girls are pretty obsessed with farting and poop jokes.

My friends with older kids say that in middle school there is so much drama with the girls, but not much with the boys.

The people I know who only had boys go nuts with girl clothes as gifts for other people. That seems to be the big thing they feel they missed out on. 
  • Options
    If this one is a girl I will be making tons of clothes, I admit it.
    November Siggy Challenge

• Options
    codik86codik86 member
    edited October 2017
    I have one boy. He’s 3.5 (almost) years old. He is so stubborn, and I really want someone to tell me 4 is a better age. Other than the hard bedtimes and stubbornness, I love having a boy. He’s so full of energy and I don’t know how it is any other way. He just goes and goes. He only took a 45 minute nap today and I fought getting him to go to bed on his own clear until about 10:40pm. He has moments where he’s sweet and cute, and listens well. I shouldn’t complain, because today was just hard...he’s so rambunctious.

edited because I repeated myself. So tired. Good night!
  • Options
    Tbh- I was terrified of having a girl. I have boy-girl-boy so far and the boys have sweetest bond as brothers and my girl is I kid you not, more the typical boy kid that people think of. She's tough and athletic and cares very little for typical girly things. I honestly really don't think the sex matters at all. Each of my kids has a very unique personality. They've been so different as babies and toddlers and now school age and I'm realizing anew how much of the gender stereotyping and boxing in of kids we do as a society. If they didn't know they were boy or girl it wouldn't change a thing foe my kids. They are just them. :) as for parenting boys, I think just being a good parent is all that matters. Don't treat them any differently than you would a girl. Teach them to be kind and tough and gentle and understanding. They'll get it. You'll be great! 
    Momma to four, and we're expecting one more!

• Options
    I agree that the individual personality matters more than the gender.  I will say I am committed to keeping my son away from stereotypes of toxic masculinity.  Sitcoms make it sound like men are supposed to be incompetent sex-crazed idiots.  He has a wonderful daddy to show him a healthy version of manhood, but I want to be sure what he sees on TV is not these toxic lies.
    Jana Lynn
     Happily married since 5/24/2015  Momma of a baby Viking since 4/16, expecting #2 in 5/18
  • Options
    I have one boy already, and have a feeling this one will be as well (but, who knows!). I am thrilled at the idea of the brother, but since this is our last baby, I would definitely have to mourn not ever having a girl. Not so much because of the childhood stage, but rather the adult stage. I have a best friend type of relationship with my mom, and my son is SO CLOSE to her and my dad. I know this isn't the case all the time, but a lot of grandchildren are closer with their maternal grandparents. I would just be sad to never have that grown daughter/mother bond like I have. But, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it and I know a life with 2 sons would be just as wonderful obviously!

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker