Baby Names

Catherine or Hermione

We're thinking about trying for #3 and are finding that our preferences have changed a lot in 5 years since we last talked baby names! We have literature themes for our LOs and their names also have Greek origins. DS is Theodore Robert, named after Theodore Laurence from Little Women, nn Teddy. DD is Anastasia Josephine, mn is after Jo March, nn Annie. I'm a huge Jane Austen fan but Elizabeth is not a first name option for us. I also love the Harry Potter books. So here's my short list:

Catherine Elizabeth
Hermione Jane

We like nicknames. What are your favorites for Catherine and Hermione? Also, in the HP books the character's name is Hermione Jean. If you're a Potterhead, will you look askance if you hear Hermione Jane instead? TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Catherine or Hermione

• I prefer Catherine. Largely because I think most of the obvious nn for Hermione are weird. And I think it goes better with your sib-set. I like Cate, Cat, Kitty, or Katie as nn for Catherine. Probably Cate is my favorite
  • Hermoine has a harsh and unpleasant sound to me so I prefer Catherine. Although, I love love your other kids’ names and Catherine Elizabeth sounds boring in comparison (although classic and pretty).  I like Cat as a nn. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Catherine! I do love Harry Potter but was never a fan of Hermione’s name. I agree with the above poster about it sounding unpleasant/harsh. 
  • Hermione just seems like such a fictional name, although I do love where your going with this! Have you considered other females names from the movie? I just can’t think of any good nns. Hermy? Mine-y? I mean if that’s what you like our opinions don’t matter, but of the two I’d pick Catherine or a different name from Harry Potter. I personally LOVE Ginny!!
  • I like Catherine, NN Cate.
    I’m sorry, I don’t think I could ever get on board with Hermoine. She will be forever asked, “like in Harry Potter?” 

Other HP names:
    Lily 
    Ginny 
    Luna 

• Thanks for the feedback! DH says no to Luna and Ginny and thinks Lily is too popular but maybe I'll keep trying. In searching for nicknames for Hermione, I saw suggestions of Minnie, which I like (don't mind the Mouse connection). 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    edited October 2017
    Minnie is a cute nickname.  It might be a stretch but maybe it could be short for Wilhelmina or Philomena?

ETA- or you could use Winnie short for Wilhelmina, Winifred, Winona, or Gwendolyn
  • edited October 2017
    As much of an HP fan as I am, I prefer Catherine to Hermione. It fits better with your other kids' names and doesn't completely scream "I'm named after a book character!" like Hermione does. Not that there's anything wrong with naming your kids after literary characters, but after a while she might get tired of hearing "Like from Harry Potter??" every time she introduces herself.

If you like Minnie then what about Minerva (as in McGonagall)? I think it's a nice name and not as recognizable as Hermione.

ETA: I forgot to answer your questions- for Catherine, the nicknames Cat and Cathy are nice. I would just pick whichever one fits your DD the best. Hermione really doesn't have much NN potential besides Hermy which IMO isn't great. I used to read HP fan fiction and I sometimes saw people use the nickname 'Mione (just drop the HER) but I'm not sure if that's reaching. And no, I would not side eye Hermione Jane.
    Anniversary 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Other HP ideas than the ones listed above:

Molly (Weasley)
    Angelina (Johnson)
    Katie (Bell)
    Helena (Ravenclaw)

• Since you love Jane Austen, why not turn to the trove of names there (aside from Elizabeth)? 

Penelope (The Watsons)
    Selina, Hannah, or Clara (Emma)
    Louisa, Georgianna or Harriet (Pride and Prejudice - also how sweet is Hattie short for Harriet?)

Those are just my favorites, but there are so many great options!
  • JMU_Bride09JMU_Bride09 member
    edited November 2017
    While I don't find Catherine Elizabeth to be as exciting as Hermione Jane, I would pick Catherine to go with your sibset.  Theodore and Anastasia are much more classic, and Catherine fits right in there.  Hermione itself isn't a trendy name, but it feels timestamped due to the current popularity of Harry Potter.  

• I adore the HP series, but I think being named Hermione would be a hard thing to bear for a child.  It's such an uncommon name outside of the Potterverse that even in your child's generation, people's minds will jump right to the books/movie.  This name is not like Theodore or Anastasia Josephine.

Also, Hermione herself may be a tough character to live up to... OR... live down.  Will your future daughter want to bear the name of a super-smart (but occasionally annoying) student?

Another consideration -- when your daughter is the right age, you will want to share your love of the books with her.  Being named after Hermione might make that future reading experience weird for her.  

FWIW, we named our newest cat Padfoot, and EVERYONE who hears it says, "Oh, did you get that from Harry Potter?"  I can only imagine the reaction to a child named Hermione.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Since you love Jane Austen, why not turn to the trove of names there (aside from Elizabeth)? 

Penelope (The Watsons)
    Selina, Hannah, or Clara (Emma)
    Louisa, Georgianna or Harriet (Pride and Prejudice - also how sweet is Hattie short for Harriet?)

Those are just my favorites, but there are so many great options!
    You can name a child Georgiana after Darcy's sister, but you CANNOT name a child Louisa after Bingley's sister.  She's a terrible human!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Thanks for the feedback! DH says no to Luna and Ginny and thinks Lily is too popular but maybe I'll keep trying. In searching for nicknames for Hermione, I saw suggestions of Minnie, which I like (don't mind the Mouse connection). 
    I mean this very kindly... You are wading deep into “I can’t tell if she’s joking or not” territory. And for naming a baby, I think that’s not a good place to be. 
  • I vote for Georgiana, nn Georgie. I think it goes best with Anastasia.