October 2016 Moms

Re: October Randoms

• waaaahhhhh how are our babies turning (or have turned) a year already!? It still blows my mind that a year has passed.... Abigail's birthday is friday. 
    *American lady living in Tanzania.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
    BFP #1 - MC Dec 2, 2015 (@ 9weeks)
    BFP #2 - Feb 2, 2016 --EDD 10/10/16 --Abigail- October 6, 2016. Heart warrior.
    October 2017- Began fostering to adopt T, (DOB:November 19, 2013)
  • Still can't believe it. And it seems that just since his party on Sunday I'm looking at him different. Like now he's classified as a toddler and not a baby. Waaaah
  • Loading the player...
  • Amd how bout those 1 year shots. Even after all the shots he's had. I'm still dreading taking him on Thursday for his 12 month shots.  My poor baby. 
  • brzvicebrzvice member
    edited October 2017
    @kmolletz OMG Abigail is already next.. :'(:'(  These one year Bdays are coming too fast too furious. I am so happy for her and your whole family that she is hitting this milestone as happy healthy little girl, like she never had heart surgery at all . My heart soars for Abigail. I still remember when we all thought she  was going to to a BOY. What a blessing that sweet girl is.  <3
    Image result for its raining meme

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Welcome back @AshleyGemini24 ! Congrats on TTC #2. I am right there with you. We have been slacking on the sexin part so I'm going to try next month to follow a stricter regime. The MyDays app has been very helpful for me.

Regarding shots- Yes I am freaking about the 1 year shots. V is fully vaccinated as of right now but I did choose an alternate schedule where I spaced out her vaccines VS. doing the combo  doses. I definitely want her to get all her vaccinations but am Hesitant to do MMR & Varicella together at 12 Months. Ugh. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @brzvice thank you. <3 it is crazy. It is so easy to forget that she had open heart surgery, and only 5 months ago at that! She is such an incredible little blessing. She will have another follow up echo in November to make sure everything still looks good.

And ughhhh vaccines. We had been following the Tanzanian schedule but they don't offer all the normal vaccines that American babies would get so our pediatrician wrote us a prescription to go to the big pharmacy in town and buy them. Her apt isn't until the 25th though, but I am still dreading it. 
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • @kmolleltz @brzvice What a surprise it was when Abigail turned out to be a little girl! Haha #1 O16 BMB plot twist :D Now look at us... a year in with almost non-babies. 2016 seems like it lasted an eternity and 2017 has been a blink in comparison. 
    @AshleyGemini24 Please keep us updated on your TTC journey! I(we) would love to know when it happens for you guys. Same goes for you @brzvice I'm not exaggerating  when I tell you that occasionally I randomly wonder whether or not you're PG yet.

Johnny's appointment is today, and maybe he's just the odd duck, but he's always handled his vaccinations well. Barely whimpers, doesn't seem to get sick or sore afterwards- he's a champ. I think the part I dread most is having to help hold him down, distract him, and I feel nauseous if my squeamish self sees the needles haha
    He's also finally having his birthday party on Saturday :)
  • haha yes. My surprise baby girl. Next time I will just let it be a surprise for real. Hahaha. I am so not even interested in getting pregnant again. I think I want another baby, but I am still not ready to be pregnant again. haha. We will see.

@allythekid Abigail does pretty well with vaccinations, generally just a super short cry/shriek haha.. but agreed that I hate trying to hold her down/distract her
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • I definitely am not ready for another baby right now. But when I see someone that is pregnant or a teeny tiny little baby, I start to miss it...a little. 
  • kmolleltzkmolleltz member
    edited October 2017
    ABIGAIL IS ONE!!!
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • *American lady living in Tanzania.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • @kmolletz Abigail looks fit for royalty in her little crown and party dress on a throne! So sweet, she is a gorgeous little lady. Congrats Mama on making it through her first year! 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Oh my goodness, she is so precious @kmolletz!  Happy birthday Abigail!
  • I am dreading weaning off the bottle to a sippy cup and also am freaking about weaning from formula to 100% milk. Ugh.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you ladies. I found that crown at the dollar tree when we in America and even though it is kinda ridiculous I loved it. Haha. 

@brzvice we are officially off formula! But I haven't switched to a sippy cup yet. We got a 360 cup but she doesn't understand it haha.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • We are 50% converted to coconut milk due to her dairy allergy. I'm increasing the amount of coconut milk an ounce per week. But we are still using bottles. She'll drink water out of the sippy cup but not milk. I am also weaning from nursing and tried to give her bottles today during the day. She only took one but I guess that's a start. 
  • brzvicebrzvice member
    edited October 2017
    V is having an eczema flair up I'm hoping it's just from the hot sweaty weather we have been having and not the whole milk we are transitioning to. She gets it on her legs and in the crooks of her arms and knees. Anyone elses LO have eczema? If so any pointers in lotions that work?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Storm has it. It's hard to keep in check. I use aveeno eczema lotion and aquaphor on top to try to lock in the moisture. 
  • I'm also having a hard time finding shoes that fit V. Since she started walking her feet have widened significantly so I'm going to have to shop around for a 4.5 Wide. Baby girl is starting to get expensive $$$

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @brzvice Shop on zulily! They typically always have baby shoes on there. Usually name brands like stride rite for $19 or so. You just have to look every day and jump on it immediately if you see something you like.
  • Storm has little fat feet. H bought her shoes for her birthday coming up. Hopefully they fit. 
  • Since we are in the weaning process, it only be made sense to start giving S bottles during the day on the weekends also. I was only to get her to take 1 bottle over the weekend. Looks like nursing may go past 1 but at least I'll be able to stop pumping. Any tips from anyone that has weaned?  H did say she's even been more so playing with her bottles during the week but girly won't drink her milk out of the sippy. 
  • @ladybug2821 I don't think there are many tips for weaning other than to just be patient. We make sure Johnny has a sippy with water in it available at all times to help get him used to a sippy, but he still gets his bottle with formula in it 3 times a day. It'll take time, but once he's proficient with his cup, the bottle is being tossed.
  • @AllyTheKid S is good with water in her sippy.  With milk, she'll take 1 sip and then throw it. I'm sooooo ready to be done with bottles. The cleaning is way too time consuming. Since I'm putting coconut milk in her bottles, I actually have excess BM. We are 1 oz away from a full bottle of coconut milk. Is it wishful thinking that I won't waste this extra BM?  I'm worried if I stop pumping it'll affect my supply for the times I am BF.  But I'm so ready to stop especially since I have this extra. 
  • You can freeze the extra BM for up to 6 months and use it as needed, if you're out and about or whatnot. If you stop pumping, your BM will adjust to produce just what S drinks as she nurses. So your supply will drop some, but it should completely drop until you completely stop. I was producing and leaking for two weeks after weaning personally. I know every woman's body differs from the next, but as far as I know, those are fairly standard estimates. Good luck!
  • I guess my concern is I'll confuse her if I keep going back and forth between  between BM and coconut milk. Honestly since she can't have whole milk anyway I kind of want to go the route of no milk at all because coconut milk is super expensive. The allergist said we don't have to give her any kind of milk at all as long as her diet has all the right nutrients. But I'm still struggling to have 3 good meals a day for her and still giving purées some of the time. 
  • I don't know what to do about whole milk either. We have her pediatrician appointment November 1st so I plan on asking then. 

I have tons of milk in the freezer but am so tired of pumping! I'm thinking about going down to pumping just once a day and doing 1 ounce of whole milk in each bottle until my freezer stash gets low and then go to 2 ounces.
  • I so don't miss being attached to the pump,  @fitlady21 you will soon be able to either store it until the next baby or if your like me tempted to watch it burn!!

I've got some serious drama at work right now guys- keep me in your thoughts, I've had 9 years with the company and Im going to start looking elsewhere. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @brzvice I hope everything works out girl, that's a long time to have to throw away over workplace BS!

I wish I had something more helpful to say about the pumping situation :/

So I pretty much give up, y'all. I was really hoping my periods would be normal after I got that implant removed, but I only had about 5 days between cycles so far. Two cycles already in the last month. I don't have the pain and inflammation I had before, so I attribute all that mess to the implant, but still super close periods. Boo :( I guess on the bright side, I have a nearly constant reminder that I'm not pregnant.
  • Ughhh that sucks @AllyTheKid.  Maybe it'll just take a couple months to regulate. FX!

@brzvice I'm sorry you're dealing with work drama. Work does not have to be that way. If people would only just worry about themselves, work would be peaceful. 
  • I don't know if I said this already, but buy stock in tampax pearl and I'll make you millionaires.
  • Ahh ladies. We finally started fostering our little boy last week and let me tell you, in exhausted. Hah. I love him so much and am so happy he's home but I didn't know it was this possible to be so tired. Babies are easy. And almost four year old learning everything new? That's hard. We could you your positive thoughts /prayers as he pushes boundaries/learns this is his home.
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • @kmolleltz Really??? I thought a biological family member came for him, did that not work out? Not trying to be nosy, I'm just really happy for you guys! I remember how crushed you were when family showed up after all the time you spent with him and everything you guys did to try to adopt, I'm seriously so happy for you!
  • mothernorthmothernorth member
    edited October 2017
    Yep. He's a Ruttman.

• @allythekid it was a really weird situation on behalf of social welfare. We went to visit and his grandparents asked us if we would take care of him. That's the short version but since we are currently only fostering I have to be careful what I post on the internet 
    DH - Tanzanian Maasai 
  • @AllyTheKid Which IUD did you have? I know you had tons of problems with it so I'm hoping to avoid that one. I've been talking to the doc about the paragard since it's hormone free and the mini pill is making my hormones out of whack. I've never had an iud before so it definitely makes me nervous. 
  • @fitlady21 I didn't have an IUD, I had the Nexplanon implant in my arm. I do not recommend it because it uses an extremely large amount of hormones: due to the fact it is in your arm, it has to release more hormones than what you would get from a pill or IUD constantly to make sure there is enough in your bloodstream to actually reach your ovaries and uterus.
    I have a few friends who got it and LOVED it, but it was nothing but a nightmare for me. But I'm thinking there is just something wrong with me, because now that the implant in gone and I'm on the mini pill, not only are my cycles still out of whack, but now the cysts that used to plague my poor ovaries have returned. 
    I'm considering stopping all BC and modifying my diet to whole foods to see if I can start eliminating factors. 
  • @AllyTheKid ohhhh gotcha. Yea my Doctor said to definitely not get the nexplanon. I don't seem to do well on birth control either.. at least before pregnancy. After a few months on it I would start randomly spotting.
  • @brzvice I think I remember you say saying you have wavy/curly hair. Has  your texture changed?  My hair used to be fine and soft but now it's really rough. I'm having such a hard time combing it because it gets tangled super easy and I'm ripping out tons of it. I even wear my hair in a braid or bun to go to bed with a silk pillow. Do you have a good shampoo/conditioner that works well?
  • So remember me saying I wish I would start my period... I totally take that back. It's AWFUL! I keep bleeding through everything and it's getting old having to change the sheets each day. Hopefully the next period won't be as heavy as this one. 

Any mamas still nursing? We still nurse but I really want to stop pumping while at work. When I'm home on the weekends, she wants to nurse all day long. Will my milk eventually level out to where I don't create any during the day (work hours)?