December 2017 Moms

STM+ - Biggest surprises during Labor

skc040512skc040512 member
edited October 2017 in December 2017 Moms
@MJDsquared mentioned seeing this on the April '18 board. Even having had a baby before, it was interesting to read through, so here is a thread for us! STM+ what was the thing you were least prepared for/most surprised about? 
---------------------------------------------------------------
STM and TTM, what surprised you the most about:

going into labor (or the process of induction or scheduled csection)
- the laboring process
- the delivery itself
- recovery

Any tips for getting through any of the above surprises?

Edited for autocorrect issues...

Re: STM+ - Biggest surprises during Labor

• Loading the player...
  • I love reading all of these!  Thanks for sharing everyone. 
    DH: 34 | Me: 35
    DS1 9/24/13
    DX Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Factor V Leiden Mutation, Secondary Infertility
    MFI (SA #1
    Count 11mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    MFI (SA #2Count 7 mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    Oct. 2016: Clomid + TI
    IVF: ER 3/1/17; 5 retrieved, 3 mature & fertilized
    Results: 2 PGS normal embryos
    Planned on August 2017 transfer
    **TW**
    Natural BFP 4/3/17,Expecting baby boy via RCS 12/7/17

• @peachy13  WORD.  Same. Is there such thing as pre-traumatic stress disorder?! 

I just found out yesterday that the OB office decided long ago without telling me, that the planned CS they implied I would have for dual-purpose ovary removal, is definitely not going to happen. Thankfully we have already done a birthing/newborn 101 class but I was preeeeeettty much banking on not having to remember most of it.  

Thank you ladies for sharing.  I think the biggest surprises here (and in speaking with family/friends) for me have been the amount of nausea/vomiting involved in all types of labor and delivery-- that's definitely something I never knew before recently.  Also the whole "spinal headache" concept with spinals and some epidurals.  YIKES.  
  • This has been an amazing thread to read. Me no likey surprises. 
  • Also, @ameliabedelia-2, I forgot to ask. How exactly did that work with you giving baby to DH?  Every video/story I've encountered makes it seem like they pretty much FORCE mom to take the baby so I'm just curious (if you remember any details) how that all went down-- just in case that's something that in the moment I feel like I need to advocate for.  I'm assuming it was after placenta delivery?
  • I think a lot of the nausea and vomiting comes in if you're sensitive to meds in general. I didn't get nauseas at all, but medicines really don't effect me. I did get the shakes really bad, though - wasn't ready for that at all. I think that was mostly from a combo of the stress, hormone changes, and the medicines. 
  • @cait5413 DS actually had a double nuchal cord, and it was a total non-issue. My midwives handled it like champions and there was zero fear/worry on my part that they had it under control. They weren't able to flip it over his head before his body came, so they somersaulted him through it. He cried before he was even completely out so I knew he was totally fine! Stats say about 30% of babes have a nuchal cord and and the vast majority of the time it is fine, just a variant of normal. Some theorize that nuchal cords are often blamed for other birth issues, because they are so common and easy to blame, even though they probably weren't the root cause of whatever the problem actually was at birth. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @Skcobb  Good to know. I don't typically have nausea reactions to anaesthesia or narcotics but I only have like 3 life events to base that on, so who knows.  I am, however, a raging emetophobic so vomiting during L&D would be pretty traumatic for me, as silly as that sounds in the grand scheme of the situation.  My mom said she got the shakes bad, and she didn't have an epidural at all, so I imagine a lot of that is the hormones!
  • sjissjis member
    edited October 2017

the first initial contractions were a shock and not too painful, but as they progressed I was a bit alarmed. We went to the hospital fast only to wait around awhile for labor to progress faster. I think this time around I’ll take a shower at home first. The epidural was very painful but quick, after that I slept through most of my contractions.

- the laboring process

Labor with the epidural was quite calm and not as stressful as I imagined. 

- the delivery itself

I didn’t listen to the doctor really well and just kept on pushing due to the enormous pressure I felt. I think if I took my time more I wouldn’t have had a 2nd degree year. But other than that delivery was smooth!

- recovery

ugh. Lots of blood. The squirt bottle they give you, dermoplast and cooling pads are your friend. I wasn’t prepared for how swollen I would get and sitting/moving around was an effort. For me the first poop was the worst pain, I sobbed through it and nearly passed out. Even though the nurses plied me with milk of magnesia and stool softeners, I didn’t pass for a few days after leaving the hospital. I plan on eating as much fruit salad and fiber the week I’m due and eating better after.

tip: 
    get a pedicure right before you’re due. Your toes and feet will look nice in the stirrups, and it’ll be awhile before you leave the house.
  • @sjis...the first poop. I still have nightmares.
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • @sjis amen to the pedicure. I was glad that some part of me looked pretty during my hospital stay!

As for the first poop, I remember sitting on the toilet crying because I was so afraid to go  :D thankfully I had been religious about colace and a high fiber diet so it wasnt bad at all.
  • Omfg I’m terrified of the c section I’m probably going to have to get.  Thanks for the stories you guys. I’m now so fearful of my first poop. And I love pooping!
  • @breezybee definitely request a stool softener after delivery!  I had an emergency c-section with my first and I asked for a stool softener and had no issues in that department. 
    DH: 34 | Me: 35
    DS1 9/24/13
    DX Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Factor V Leiden Mutation, Secondary Infertility
    MFI (SA #1
    Count 11mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    MFI (SA #2Count 7 mill, Motility: 18%, Morphology: 1%)
    AMH .328 
    | FSH 13.2 
    Oct. 2016: Clomid + TI
    IVF: ER 3/1/17; 5 retrieved, 3 mature & fertilized
    Results: 2 PGS normal embryos
    Planned on August 2017 transfer
    **TW**
    Natural BFP 4/3/17,Expecting baby boy via RCS 12/7/17

• @breezybee I had an emergency csection too and the first poop wasn’t bad at all! As others have said just make sure to take all the stool softeners they give you. 
  • going into labor (or the process of induction or scheduled csection)- I was surprised that when my water broke, it wasn't a big gush.  It trickled with larger leaks here and there.
    - the laboring process- The epidural made me very shaky and cold.  It took some getting used to, and I don't remember feeling that way while pushing.   I was also surprised (but happy) that I could still feel some of the contraction with the epidural.  I wasn't feeling much for an hour or so after they gave it to me, but then I called a nurse in because I felt an urge to push, and she said I had dilated.  I liked feeling the contractions and that urge to push, even with the epidural. 
    - the delivery itself- After three hours of pushing, baby's heart rate was dipping with each contraction.  They ended up pulling her out with a "vacuum"/suction cup thing.  IT HURT. 
    - recovery- So much bleeding.  I knew I would be bleeding, but it lasted for about 5-6 weeks and it was just more than I anticipated. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Another thing about recovery that I was reminded of today: you lose so freaking much hair. It wasn't immediate, but around 6-8 weeks I started losing it by the handful (seriously, taking a shower was terrifying because I thought I was going bald  :D) Keep taking your vitamins to help reduce the loss. 
  • Skcobb said:
    Another thing about recovery that I was reminded of today: you lose so freaking much hair. It wasn't immediate, but around 6-8 weeks I started losing it by the handful (seriously, taking a shower was terrifying because I thought I was going bald  :D) Keep taking your vitamins to help reduce the loss. 
    Then, when it grows back, you get all these nice short (for me, frizzy) hairs around your face for a while. So annoying. 

Married May 2014
    DD born August 2016
    Baby #2 due December 2017
  • @Skcobb @cait5413 I had heard about the hair loss. I am specifically waiting until after the kid is born and the shedding happens to get my hair cut/layered because of it. I have sooooo much fine hair. It's going to be everywhere.  My poor vacuum cleaner. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks so much to everyone for sharing!

First time mom here, so it's really useful info for me.

___
    Due date 12/9
    I can't figure out the pregnancy countdown tickers, but I do know how to make a signature!
    #40andpregnant

As of 12/15/2017, my new hashtag is #41 and pregnant!
  • This is so fun! I loved reading these.

I was induced with the doctor breaking my water. It didn't hurt but looked like an extremely forceful waterfall. My doctor commented, "That is...a lot of fluid."  :D I chalk it up to me drinking 6-7 32 oz. water bottles a day for the month leading up to my delivery (anyone else SO THIRSTY toward the end?). 

- the laboring process

We gave birth unmedicated, which I've discussed in another post. The contractions in my tummy area weren't so much painful--they more felt like a horrible charley horse.

However, the back labor was an absolute nightmare and I was NOT prepared for it. It felt like each vertebra were breaking over and over again with every contraction. My doctor said not everyone has back labor, and just because you have it once doesn't mean you'll have it again. So, fingers crossed for this one! 

- the delivery itself

I pushed for an hour and it took me probably 3/4 of that to get the hang of pushing. Maybe I'm just a bad listener. 

The entire process is exhausting, which I also didn't anticipate. I labored for eleven hours and pushed for one, and my doctor restricted my eating throughout. By the time everything was done, I was starving and could barely keep my eyes open. This time, I may sneak some snacks...

- recovery

Dermaplast, witch hazel/aloe frozen pads, squirt bottles, and pillows to sit on. Oh, and Percocet. Lifesavers! 

• Thanks @wabash15. I totally believe you and that makes me feel a lot more calm!
  • Going into Labor - The biggest surprise for me was that I didn’t go into labor at all.  At 38+3 I woke up and wasn’t feeling him move.  I drank some juice and laid down, but he still wasn’t moving for about an hour.  Just as I was about to call my doctor he kicked 3 times so I got ready and went to work.  He was moving very little throughout at the morning and only moved once in the hour after I ate lunch.  At this point I decided to call the doctor since they had just told me a couple days prior that if I did not feel at least 6 kicks in an hour after eating I should come in to be checked out.  I went to the doctor and he scored an 8 out of 8 on the ultrasound.  They decided to order a non stress test and after about 10 mins on the monitor they still didn’t see any big movements so decided to keep me on a little longer.  After about 5 more minutes his heart rate plummeted and the doctors came rushing into the room.  Luckily his heart rate came back up, but to be safe they sent me to the hospital.  At the hospital they hooked me up to the monitor and his heart rate kept dropping more frequently.  They still didn’t know what was wrong with my DS at this point, but made the call to do an emergency csection.
    The delivery - I honestly don’t remember too much about the delivery as I was so worried about my DS.  They wheeled me back and placed the epidural and I feel like my DS was out pretty quickly after that.  When he came out he was very very pale so they immediately took him away and I sent my DH with him. I don’t remember much after that until the wheeled me into recovery.  The doctors came back and told me they were transferring my DS to another hospital with a NICU.  Luckily, they were able to get me a transfer a couple of hours later.  I got very nauseous in the ambulance but luckily they were able to give me meds before I threw up.
    The recovery - I was up and walking just over 8 hours after the surgery.  They would not remove the catheter until 12 hours after delivery though. I definitely pushed myself though because I wanted to go see my son in the NICU and the doctor’s weren’t going to let me go until they saw that I was determined to go myself. The recovery was very easy for me, but I think it helped that I did not have a baby to take care of as my DS was in the NICU for 2 weeks.  I did stay in the hospital was 4 nights too because DS was there and I had no reason to leave.  I’m definitely worried about the recovery this time since I will have a 2 year old and a newborn to care for at home.
  • @ameliabedelia-2 did you use reusable cotton pads? Or what brand did you like?
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @failuretofly, no I didn't have reusable, though that would probably be good. I don't remember the brand but I just bought some organic, unscented cotton disposable pads on Amazon. My doctor said the super absorbent synthetic ones can make you feel dry while still allowing the area to stay damp. You'll go through the thinner cotton ones more often but it will let things breathe. 
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3