May 2018 Moms
Options

Good Prenatal Vitamin/DHA Rec?

Ok so I seriously think my prenatal vitamins are making me super nauseated. I've switched brands AND times during the day I've taken them. The nausea is always AFTER the vitamin/DHA. Plus I have flat out refused to take the DHA lately because...fish burps...I can't handle it! I searched the group and didn't find any thread on recommendations for prenatal vitamins and/or dha pills, if I missed it I am sorry! But have any of you all had good luck with any prenatal vitamins that seem to be okay on your stomach!? Also DHA pills that won't cause fishy burps? I have tried Kroger brand and Walgreens brand. I don't want to keep experimenting if you all have a great one I can try! They are kinda expensive...Thank you! 

Re: Good Prenatal Vitamin/DHA Rec?

• Options
    I take Natures Made prenatal with DHA. I have never had fish burps. That sounds so disgusting. I took these vitamins with both of my pregnancies and never had any nausea associated with them. 

Only downside is they are huge...but I think most prenatal with DHA are. 
  • Options
    I don't have the name in front of me but I'll tell you my dha is not from fish oil so no fish burps. I can come back later with the name but you can search no fish oil dha. Mine was on Amazon. My PNV is new chapter and it's organic and can be taken on empty stomach. Never felt sick.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Spectrum is dha. I think dha is from nuts and seeds in it?
  • Options
    +1 for New Chapter. I’ve actually been taking them since I was pregnant with DD, who is 3.5. Never felt sick. I take their “Wholemega for Moms” as well, and no fish burps or nausea from those either. I have them on subscribe and save with Amazon. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    abhphillyabhphilly member
    edited October 2017
    I get the Zahler Prenatal + DHA 300 auto-delivered from Amazon and it's great. Not cheap, but high quality and includes DHA. It also includes folate instead of folic acid, since some people (with MTHFR gene) can't process folic acid. I take calcium separately. https://www.amazon.com/Zahler-Prenatal-Vitamins-Development-Certified/dp/B01KYBTSQQ?th=1

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Make sure your'e taking a DHA supplement that is for pregnant women.  The reason for this is twofold.  First, some DHA supplements include fish liver oil, which contains high levels of vitamin A (not from beta carotene).  Secondly, you don't want the DHA from walnuts, as this is actually ALA, which does not provide the same benefits as DHA.  You can get DHA from fish oil, algae, some veggies, etc.  It's important to ensure you're getting the right dose of this good stuff. 
  • Options
    +1 for Zahler. Never had any issues
  • Options
    @Ceridwen77 my spectrum says prenatal DHA. It has algal oil and sunflower oil and sunflower lecithin so maybe I misunderstood and it's from algae. No walnuts in it though. I just also needed to get rid of the fish burps because it was so awful.
  • Options
    +1 for Nature's Made.  I take it before I go to bed and it seems to upset my stomach less.
  • Options
    I take a vegan DHA but I am not sure it works as well as one from Fish oil.\

I can take my PNVs on an empty stomach and still be fine and I have a SUPER sensitive stomach...

• Options
    I take and like these:

• Options
    I just switched because Honest Cos were making me sick too. Only reason I had thrown up during pregnancy until Thursday night...
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I also take Nature's Made with DHA, I took it with DD2 and now this pregnancy. Never had any nausea problems with it. 
  • Options
    SaratiffSaratiff member
    edited October 2017

I had wicked HG with my first and these were the only ones prescription or otherwise i could tolerate and only the raspberry and lemonade flavor. Not the most perfect prenatal but often times it was the only nutrients my daughter got 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I've been taking Garden of Life my kind organics and ocean's mom dha.  I was taking nature's made with dha, and liked it (took it all through my last pregnancy too) but my morning sickness was bad for awhile,  so I looked for something that may be gentler.   This one is completely food- based and doesn't bother my stomach,  so yay!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers PitaPata - Personal picturePitaPata Dog tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers photo 401ba615-b560-419d-8272-b89fb96034ec.pngphoto sushilovers.png

• Options
    A 2nd thorne PNV- they also have folate instead of folic acid.  They're fabulous.
  • Options
    I take one called Pre Natal SAP by NFH.
    https://www.nfh.ca/products.asp?id=166

I don't regularly take a fish oil or DHA one...Oops.  Should I be?
    I do have one by the brand Nutrasea, which I quite like and doesn't give you fish burps. It comes in flavours too. 

• Options
    I take materna DHA supplements, and no fish burps. But I have to take everything right before bed or else I feel sick as well. Best of luck mama! 
  • Options
    I've been taking pnv the last 5 years of so, in preparation for one day starting a family. It didn't matter what type I took, if I took them with out eating recently I would puke. I learned in high school, taking iron supplements for donating blood, if I took them before eating I would puke. I remember my mother trying to keep me home from school because I vomited, but I had perfect attendance and I refused to stay home. Try eating a half hour before taking them, or see if you actually need the iron in them. I know I need the iron so I make sure I eat even if it means having some toast before bed at 11pm.