February 2018 Moms

Activity Accountability w/o Oct 13 (formerly Fit Mom Friday)

Back by popular demand (by which I mean the handful of Wednesday ticker change ladies who miss the Fit Mom Friday thread), we're re-branding as a place to discuss what we've done to stay active this week, and goals to stay active moving forward.  As we all move into the latter half of second tri, it's hard for any of us to feel "fit" at the moment, so we thought changing the thread to focus on activity would have more appeal. 

So, for those who like the motivation/accountability of a weekly thread, welcome!

What did you do to stay active this week?

As you get further along in your pregnancy, what has been your biggest barrier to staying active?

What are your goals for next week?

Re: Activity Accountability w/o Oct 13 (formerly Fit Mom Friday)

• YAAAAY!!!! thanks for rebooting this, @psm2462:smiley: 

So this week I was not active. Like, at all. lol. It's midterms, and I have been buried under a pile of over 100 freshman essays to grade  :'(

Time has really been my biggest barrier so far-- I feel pretty good physically, although the pelvic pressure/ pain has gotten more intense and I've started to have some problems with sciatica in the last week. Time is pretty much always an issue, though.

My goals for next week are to:
    1) do the 30-min indoor triathlon my university is sponsoring on Monday (10 min each of swimming, biking, and running... totally do-able at this point);
    2) run at least 3 more times (Weds afternoon, Friday afternoon, Sunday afternoon-- yay the weather is finally cool enough to run in the afternoons!); and
    3) do at least 15 min of prenatal yoga/ stretching before bed each night, if for no other reason than to calm my brain down.

Question for all: how many wear an activity tracker (eg. FitBit)? Any tips for getting steps in when you're glued to a desk most of the day? I have the daily 10k goal, but only ever manage this on days I run. Every other day I fall woefully short. Before we moved we lived in a very walkable community, so it was a piece of cake to get in 10k every day. Now we live in a place with no sidewalks :(
    Married 5/27/13
    Anniversary

Baby#2
    BabyFetus Ticker

DD#1
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Thanks for this @psm2462

I ran. Once. I'm pretty disappointed in myself. 

As you get further along in your pregnancy, what has been your biggest barrier to staying active?
    I'm actually more tired lately than I was in the first trimester. I don't know if it's pregnancy related or just the change in weather, but my motivation has been minimal. I also can only run every other day or it bothers my hip. Not sure if it's my sciatic nerve, increased weight, or combo...

I'm definitly restarting my yoga practice. It was more due to time that I stopped in the past 6 weeks. So I would like to run 3 times, then yoga twice. Fingers crossed!

• Loading the player...
  • I messed up my back last weekend carrying my 2 kids through the airport :/ I could barely move last week, but I’ve been stretching and to the chiro twice. This week I could at least walk on the treadmill slowly without pain; I have walked three times and managed 20 minutes on the elliptical. Hoping to improve to jog/walk intervals this weekend and next week without flaring it back up. 
  • Haven't posted in a while, but here's mine:

What did you do to stay active this week?  Yoga every single day this week.  Minimum of 20 minutes, max of 1 hour, and even twice on Wednesday (home practice in the morning and prenatal class in the evening).  It's getting routine for me and is helping immensely with holding this growing bump upright and wrangling a toddler.

As you get further along in your pregnancy, what has been your biggest barrier to staying active?  The only realistic time I have is first thing in the morning before DS wakes up and if I don't get a good night's sleep it cuts into active time.  The other barrier is simply getting bigger and having to find new ways to move.

What are your goals for next week?   I did 4 cumulative hours this week Mon-Fri, so I think I will aim for 5+ hours next week.  I will be on a business trip for 3 days, which means I should be able to get in a solid hour each morning with no toddler interruption.
    DS 2.07.15
    #2 due 2.15.18
  • @jessilee15, hope you feel better soon! I swear, traveling with kids is hazardous to your health :)

@katefb17 I have an activity tracker on my Garmin, and like you it's set to the standard 10k steps.  I also find it difficult to hit the goal on days I don't run, and I live in a city and rarely drive.  Having a desk job makes it tough, and the only real walking I get is to/from daycare and the subway.  I try to be conscious of taking regular walk breaks during the day, especially now that sitting for a long time bothers my lower back.  Usually it's just a lap around my office floor to fill my water bottle (and the increased trips to the bathroom helps, too), but small bits add up.  I'm lucky to live in a walkable place, so I don't really have an excuse! Do you have access to a treadmill? If so, what about walking while catching up on TV or reading? 

What did you do to stay active this week?  After taking more than my fair share of rest days, finally got back into a good routine this week.  Baby seems to have shifted position which helped with the frequent peeing and lower back pain, and I was able to get in one bike workout and three runs so far.  I'm officially no speedier than a snail, but still able to keep moving for 3-5 miles at a time.

As you get further along in your pregnancy, what has been your biggest barrier to staying active?  Like @awb1216, time is my usual limitation.  My only guaranteed time to myself is before DS gets up, which is usually by 6:30, and on nights I get to bed late due to work or life commitments, it makes the early wakeup time somewhat unrealistic.  

What are your goals for next week?   Assuming I feel as good as I did this week and baby stays in a good position, I'd like to run 4 days next week, at least 3 miles per run, and fill in the other days with walking and biking.  Maybe I will finally get to the pool (which is what I keep promising myself), but it's even harder to find time for that when it involves driving there/showering immediately after. 
  • Hi all! How’s everyone doing still?

personally, I can’t run much anymore. It’s wreaking havoc on my sciatic nerve. So the dr is urging me to use the elliptical.
  • @stephbp2007 this is about when I switched to elliptical with my last pregnancy for the same reason.  On the plus side, I appreciated being able to watch TV while on the elliptical which helped the time pass! And I felt like it did help maintain my running fitness while being much easier on my body.

I'm (perhaps too stubbornly) continuing to run, just having significantly slowed down, mixing in walking, etc.  My biggest issues are shin splints, which I assume are from weight gain/gait change, and having to use the bathroom every 5 minutes or so, so I've moved all running to the treadmill for convenience.  So far, no sciatica with this pregnancy, but as I learned last time, it can come out of nowhere! Dropping to only 3 days has reduced my overall pelvic soreness and seems like a more sustainable goal for the next few weeks.

finally made it back to the pool last week after claiming that was my goal for the past few months, and man, did it feel good.  If not for the time inefficiencies of a swim workout, it would definitely be my pregnancy workout of choice! On my non-running days this week, I got in two swim workouts and a bike workout.  Hoping to continue this mix of activities as long as possible, but taking it week-by-week and feeling grateful for every day that I'm able to do something active.
  • jessilee15jessilee15 member
    edited October 2017
    I have been run/walking three days a week and walking an additional day. I’m so bummed - I ran into third tri with my last two pregnancies.  And I don’t see that happening this time. It may be just walking very soon

eta: still have delusions of doing a 10K 11/12, even if it’s mostly walking. I signed up for the half marathon 5 months ago before I realized I was pregnant and I’m too cheap to not try (they won’t refund)
  • @psm2462 thanks. That makes me feel better. I don’t pretend that I was an elite athlete before I found out I was pregnant. I was just getting back into running longer distances and trying to lose weight (a nice extra 10 lbs seemed to appear after the wedding). So to go from running a 10K to only being able to do 2 Miles (and only running every other half mile) is slightly disheartening.

If I can do the elliptical and yoga for the remaining 15 weeks, or close to it, I’ll be happy at this point!

@jessilee15 they won’t even let you defer it to next year?
  • I was trying to be more actice and I got out for 2 runs this week and then I actually fell while running the second time. I tripped over the sidewalk (so embarrassed) scraped my knee up and my hands really good and hit my forehead too! Luckily did not hit the bump! So ive been limping and waiting for my knee to heal. But I'm done running! I'm taking my fall as a sign! My centre of gravity has shifted so much! So I'm looking for some more pregnancy friendly workouts and walking!
  • Although exercise isn't as easy as it used to be. I try and go to our Fit4Mom class 3 days a week. I definitely am modifying a lot of the exercises. But I feel good after I'm done. 
    However, I do notice that the more I'm active, the more swollen my vaginal area feels. But I'm still doing my best to stay active. I wasn't very active with my first pregnancy. 
  • @stephbp2007 if it makes you feel better, I ran my fastest ever half marathon in April (1:47) and now I’m slogging through 3 miles at 11:30-12:00 min mile pace and it still hurts my back. So I feel your pain at the changes!

They would let me defer the race until next year, but I’m not sure if we will be living here by then (husband is military). And I’m not sure if I will have time to train with 3 kids ages 4&under and a full time job...
  • Hi I've decided to hop on here for the first time to keep me motivated!

I am very proud of myself for going to yoga 3 times this week

I have trouble making myself go to early morning classes because I just want to sleep. Finally just making myself go to bed earlier.

Go to yoga 3 times and walk the dogs a mile on the off days.