Infertility
Options

Newbie to the IF board

ndz2018ndz2018 member
edited October 2017 in Infertility
Hey everyone! I am a frequent at the TTCA 35 board and we have our first appointment at the RE this Friday. We have been ttc naturally for the last 6 months with no results. I just turned 37 this month and SO is 42. Though we are a little dissappointed that we did not conceive naturally we’re ready for some help. I’d love to hear on what to expect this Friday at the appointment if anyone would like to share their experience at their first appointment:) 
Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself. THANKS!

Re: Newbie to the IF board

• Options
    Welcome! There is a recent welcome post that someone went into great detail. I wish I remembered which, but it was fairly recent.

For my first appointments, initially I had a consult with the doctor. My issue was unexplained early pregnancy loss, but they still ran all of the tests on me. Basically they will draw a ton of blood from you and your husband and run all the bloodwork and get a sperm sample from him to test. On day 1 or 2 of your cycle, they will have you come in for bloodwork to test estrogen and progesterone and give you a vaginal ultrasound to check uterus lining and folicles.

After they have all this data, they can usually start to narrow things down some. I hope this helps some.

As for treatment options, my RE tends to be kind of aggressive with treatment (I was 33 when I started. I had a child at 34 and now I am trying again at 36.) Considering your age, yours may be as well. He or she will most likely push for pgs and ivf if there's not a simple and obvious solution. This is what mine is pushing for, but pgs costs so damn much, lol
  • Options
    @Crystal321 Thank you so much! I’ve been google none stop but it’s so nice to hear someone elses experience!  I have insanely great insurance and I know majority of this journey will be covered ( up to a certain point obviously) however  I do not know if it covers genetic testing. I guess I’ll find out when I speak the the finically advisor.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Welcome :)

Take a look at this post for a rundown on the initial testing that you can expect.

I hope your meeting with the doctor goes well - good luck!
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• Options
    thank you @tosh24!! That is SUPER helpful!! 
  • Options
    I had awesome insurance on my first. Covered everything with only a 100.00 deductable. But pgs was not covered unless there were genetic abnormalities in the tests
  • Options
    @Crystal321 Would you happen to know a ball park figure for the PGS testing? 
  • Options
    @ndz2018 my clinic quoted me 4750 for 8 embryos. If I were to get less than 8 embryos from my next ivf, the testing would carry over to the next ivf(s) until they test 8 total
  • Options
    ndz2018ndz2018 member
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, it’s def pricey but worth it. I’m gonna write down all my question about cost , that’s def one of them @Crystal321