February 2018 Moms

Sh*t my SO/ILs/Anyone Says

Re: Sh*t my SO/ILs/Anyone Says

• The drive-by ultrasound thread reminded me of this exchange with H yesterday:

[As we look at the ultrasound photos]
    H: "Isn't that the penis?"
    Me: "No, that's his arm."
    H: "Exactly! It's a baby's arm holding an apple!" Then he launched into the "Extrapolate that out" line from The 40-Year-Old Virgin.

His sense of humor is directly related to why I married him.
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Loading the player...
  • Proof that my students have more sense than some of the adults I work with...
    Student: Miss, can I ask you a question?
    Me: Of course.
    Student: It might sound rude.
    Me: Then maybe you should think of another way to ask it.
    Student: But I really want to know.  But it's going to sound rude.
    Me: Then I would wait to ask your question until you can think of a way to ask it so it doesn't sound rude.
    Student goes to her seat.  Another student comes up to her and says something that I can't hear.
    Student 1 to Student 2: Because you just don't ask a woman those things!
    That's hilarious - and you sound like a good "life-lesson" teacher, too!
  • My MIL has been obsessed with touching my belly literally since the second we told her about the baby. She got away with it then because of all the excitement, but I’ve been pretty up front about not being a big fan of it since then. Never anything serious, kind of in a joking tone because I don’t want to upset her. I know she’s just excited (first grandbaby), but she also knows I’m not a touchy feely person. My husband is the only person I’m ok with touching it. He has also been firmly on my side and understanding with this.  She’s been the only person with this need to touch it. Literally no one else has tried. 

That being said, he must have had a damn stroke last night. The in-laws are coming over tomorrow and he said to me last night, “you have to let my mom touch your stomach on Sunday.” I can’t believe I didn’t kick him in the jaw (my feet were in his lap). WTF?? I informed him that I will NOT be letting anyone touch my belly except for him until I say otherwise. Plus I’m barely even showing!! 
  • @kristinl492 He doesn't get to decide who touches you! My MIL touched mine when I was all
    of 8 weeks along and I thought "you're touching my colon. It's poop." Touch the baby when he gets here, but leave my body alone!
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• @kristinl492 Maybe she could rub your hubby's belly instead. See how he feels about it! 
  • @kristinl492 He doesn't get to decide who touches you! My MIL touched mine when I was all
    of 8 weeks along and I thought "you're touching my colon. It's poop." Touch the baby when he gets here, but leave my body alone!
    @kristinl492 He doesn't get to decide who touches you! My MIL touched mine when I was all

I think he quickly realized his mistake and he has (smartly) not mentioned it since lol
  • "You've definitely gained weight. Maybe not on the scale, but I can tell. You're big." Thanks, mom. 
  • kbrinks2kbrinks2 member
    edited October 2017
    @sre789 I feel like we should take these comments and tell them to someone who isn't pregnant. Oh wait It's because we aren't that inconsiderate!
     Why is it any more appropriate because we are growing tiny humans?
  •  today at the bank the teller asked "And what's this? " while gesturing at my belly with her hand making circles.   I answered "this is a baby" also gesturing with my hand in a circle.  

I live in a small town,  apparently the tellers have been discussing if i was pregnant or not since the last time i went in. 
    You should have said velociraptor 
  •  today at the bank the teller asked "And what's this? " while gesturing at my belly with her hand making circles.   I answered "this is a baby" also gesturing with my hand in a circle.  

I live in a small town,  apparently the tellers have been discussing if i was pregnant or not since the last time i went in. 
    That’s been happening over here too, but it’s so weird to me. “Ohhhh. Do you have news?” Or “what’s in there?” 

• ash0625 said:
     today at the bank the teller asked "And what's this? " while gesturing at my belly with her hand making circles.   I answered "this is a baby" also gesturing with my hand in a circle.  

That’s been happening over here too, but it’s so weird to me. “Ohhhh. Do you have news?” Or “what’s in there?” 

Tell them tacos.

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

• mooses77mooses77 member
    edited October 2017
    I haven't hidden my pregnancy just haven't told my coworkers because honestly they annoy me, but one cornered me in the hall and told me I was getting pudgy. 
  • ash0625 said:
     today at the bank the teller asked "And what's this? " while gesturing at my belly with her hand making circles.   I answered "this is a baby" also gesturing with my hand in a circle.  

What’s in there? A colon. Some subcutaneous fat. A stomach. What’s in your head, Judy?
  • @TattoosandLace I snort laughed. I should start telling people I just had a big lunch. 
  • @ash0625 I’m just overly salty this weekend. 
  • Our sept secratery freaks out the moment I lift more than a pencil. I moved a 10lb box and she nearly had a heart attack.  Friday she asked if I needed help carrying my laptop and notebook to the conference room. I still carry my 26lb toddler all over the place... I think I can handle a laptop down the hall
  • TattoosandLace said:
    MIL: SIL2 said it’s too early for you to be taking the glucose test. 

Glad to know now you guys know everythinrg about my medical history and my uterus seeing as you just got told about H at 19 weeks. 
    I had to do the 3 hr test very early on (I think it was like 5 weeks), because nobody told me I was having bloodwork done, and of course I would go and have a sandwich for breakfast right before this bloodwork...causing a high reading. That must have been the week I only wanted to eat turkey sandwiches. Glad it happened before everything made me nauseated, though! They can spring that test on you at any time.
    I think I’ve been overly salty this entire pregnancy
    I think I’ve been overly salty this entire pregnancy

**stuck in the box**

my husband would agree that I have been more salty this pregnancy than any other. Oops
  • DH and I went to a concert. He asked his parents who were also there to get him a specific shirt bc we had to get home bc babysitter. Anyways, they asked what size and if I wanted one to which I said no. 

They came today with a shirt twice DH’s size saying “it was all they had left, we thought it would fit (insert my name) right now”. This thing is 4 FOUR sizes too big for me. Thanks guys. No, I won’t be wearing it. No one will. Way to kill my confidence. I’m only 24 weeks tomorrow. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • babybro218babybro218 member
    edited October 2017
    I realize all of  these things are said with good intentions, but it's all about word choice and timing....

Last night, we took my aunt to dinner for her birthday.  On our way to the table, she was walking behind me with my husband and said to him, "[My name] will be one of those people who loses all the weight she gained..."
    This morning, I was heading to the microwave at work to heat up soup for my 2nd breakfast when a co-worker gave me a look.  I told her that, yes, I was already eating part of my lunch.  She said, "It's better to have 6 small meals instead of 3.  Just don't become one of those people who eats too much when you're pregnant and gets GD."  

Edited because I hit enter by  accident.
  • I don't know if my blood pressure is weird or what but I've been getting really flushed randomly and my skin is so pale it is VERY obvious. So my secretary points it out to me all. the. time. 

Yes. Thanks. I know I'm flushed. I can FEEL IT. Well today it happened, she pointed it out, and another lady said "You need to start taking walks around the block."  Because my face is flushing or because you think it shouldn't be? Freaking people. 
  • I was exhausted yesterday because I didn't sleep well the night before. My hips are killing me at night. My boss asked why I was so tired and I told her why. She said "you've got a long way to go so you better get used to it and not complain about it." I WASN'T COMPLAINING! You asked a question and I answered! AURGH!!

****TW Signature****
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD born 04/28/2002
    Married DH 03/25/2017
    1st MMC 08/13/2016 2nd MMC 02/14/2017
    BFP 06/16/17 Rainbow DS Born 02/05/2018

• I realize all of  these things are said with good intentions, but it's all about word choice and timing....

Last night, we took my aunt to dinner for her birthday.  On our way to the table, she was walking behind me with my husband and said to him, "[My name] will be one of those people who loses all the weight she gained..."
    This morning, I was heading to the microwave at work to heat up soup for my 2nd breakfast when a co-worker gave me a look.  I told her that, yes, I was already eating part of my lunch.  She said, "It's better to have 6 small meals instead of 3.  Just don't become one of those people who eats too much when you're pregnant and gets GD."  

Edited because I hit enter by  accident.
    YOU DONT GET GD BY EATING TOO MUCH. I hate people. 
  • I went for a routine pap smear with my family doc and a co-worker who I mentioned this to, asked if my family doc knew I was pregnant and if it was safe to have that done while pregnant. Um, yes, obviously he is aware of baby and it can be done or he wouldn't be doing it. And don't you think I checked beforehand?

Then, she went on to talk about how she wouldn't be chancing it and playing around with her cervix with a baby in there.
  • *snip*

Lady, your kids are all grown up! Rules change. New studies are coming out every day. You don't think I've done my research?
    This is the kind of stuff that has me worried about my mom watching the baby. Things have changed so much in 40 years that I'm afraid she'll do something wrong. And even now when I tell her how things are now her reply is "That's horseshit." So not really inspiring confidence....

@Mekimchiie Odd logic aside, that story is adorable.
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• @eggplantface my parents were pretty uneducated on car seat safety, even though my nephew is 3! Before I was even pregnant with DD I was constantly fixing my nephews seat because his parents were clueless. I just verbally told my parents things and then sent legitimate studies to back up what I was saying. They know a lot more now and I don't worry about them doing something wrong with DD. With both my parents and my in laws I'm pretty cut and dry about "I don't care if you're the grandparents if I can't trust you to do xyz you can't watch my kids". MIL told DD she'd give her ice cream when I left (4 months old) and I said I guess you don't want to watch her then!
  • @eggplantface I wasn't worried about them babysitting until that moment. Now I am a little. 

• **lurking** @eggplantface @SarahFoley725 @ldawngirl781

Check your area for grandparent classes! My MIL is over the moon about going to one because it makes her feel more involved with LO. My mom had the complete opposite reaction of "how insulting, why would I need that?" I gave her the example of sleeping/SIDS protocol. My sister and I were stomach sleepers with blankets and both of those are hard "no"s nowadays. Just remind them that a lot changes and it would make everyone feel more safe if everyone brushed up on the latest. Besides, it will be easier for your parents/ILs to hear from a teacher about what is right and wrong vs. from you about "your naive preferences" as a new parent. It's worth a shot! GL :)

Me: 25 | DH: 32
    TTC #1: November 2016
    IF Dx NIR PCOS: March 2017
    BFP: June 2017 | DS: February 2018
  • *snip*

Lady, your kids are all grown up! Rules change. New studies are coming out every day. You don't think I've done my research?
    This is the kind of stuff that has me worried about my mom watching the baby. Things have changed so much in 40 years that I'm afraid she'll do something wrong. And even now when I tell her how things are now her reply is "That's horseshit." So not really inspiring confidence....

@Mekimchiie Odd logic aside, that story is adorable.
    MIL has never babysat either of my kids for this reason. She refuses to fallow any direction I give her. And if I can’t trust her then oh well. I won’t lie it’s been terrible and lots of drama... my kids my rules though 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker