November 2017 Moms

FTM Questions for STM+ : Postpartum Mama Care

Mom's who have been here before, what are your top tips for mama-care postpartum?  I picked up everything to make padsicles, and I've got breast therapy hot/cold packs and nipple balm on my registry (I'm planning to nurse). But I'd love to hear your tips for healing and self-care while adapting to life as a new mom.

Re: FTM Questions for STM+ : Postpartum Mama Care

• What all goes into a padsicle? Many people tell me to have them but idk where to even start. 
  • Second time mom here. My labor was horrendous daughter was big and had a big head that required suction to get her out. I ended up having second degree tears with stitches. Lost a quart of blood after giving birth to her. To be honest my stitches and vagina did not hurt what hurt me was my groins, I was not use to stretching my legs back like they needed to be for labor and it had me crippled up after delivery barely able to walk. Only things I used for postpartum care was the witch hazel circles they gave me to put on my pads and my  perineum squirt bottle for rinsing after going to the bathroom also the dermoplast spray the gave me in hopsital as well to spray my stitches/vagina area. I also took Colace stool softener as recommend by doctor for few weeks after birth. I also bought assurance underpads to lay on in my bed incase any blood leaked so I wouldn't ruin our memory foam mattress. Other than that I didn't use anything else. Within a few days I was better able to get around. Definitely second lanolin for breastfeeding mother's used it in the hospital before and after feedings. Everyone's recovery is different but for me that's all I used. Good Luck momma's!
  • Loading the player...
  • You sound pretty ready.  I would suggest taking the stool softener offered in the hospital.  I honestly didn’t use padsicles although the hospital had this awesome cooling spray and ice packs that I took home.  I actually took home a bunch of stuff from the hospital for baby and me, so there is a lot that I didn’t have to buy.  

Try to wear comfortable clothes and underwear (after you’re done with those sexy hospital gauze underwear.  It would be smart to have a couple freezer meals or have friends ready to bring you food.  Also make sure to have a ton of snacks and water.  You’ll be hungry and very thirsty 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage
  • I am planning to have the following on hand:
    heavy pads
    colace
    ibuprofen 
    a HUGE water bottle / jug (lots of hospitals will give you one)
    lots of snacks
    Nursing pads  (I just use the disposable)/ nipple cream 
    nursing tanks/tops/bras
    a zip up hoodie / sweatshirt - I wore mine everyday, great to cover up when guests stop by and use as cover up over nursing bra/tops
    I had a csection so I didn't need the padsicles

if anyone offers you meals, take them up on it! If you're not up for a visitor just ask them to leave it at the door. My ILs brought groceries and meals our first day home and it was a huge blessing. 
  • @kaitlinliz - I was the same, but finally looked up a few "how to" posts. Most common add ones were witch hazel (everyone recommended), aloe, glycerin, sometimes essential oils known for healing- rosemary, lavender. I bought Always discrete incontinence pads for the first few days, then regular pads for after that.  I also ended up just getting a bottle of Dr. Thayer's alcohol-free Witch Hazel rose-water toner. It has all the recommended padsicle ingredients all conveniently in one. 

Unwrap the pad, generously squirt the ingredients onto the surface, re-wrap, and freeze. Most blog posts and the Mama Natural book suggest changing at least every hour. 
  • I used those huge pads from the hospital as long as they lasted. If you ask for extras when you leave they’ll give them to you, along with the mesh panties. You definitely won’t want to wear your own for a few days! Also, take the pain meds they give you. If you’re breastfeeding, they’ll just give you extra strength ibuprofen, but it really helps. That squirt bottle they give you is by far my favorite thing! It feels so good and helps you feel clean. And they’ll give you lanolin at the hospital, too, so you won’t have to buy it for awhile. You don’t use much each time, just a small drop, so it lasts awhile. 
  • Just to follow up on what @rachelb51212 said, if you have a csection, you get sent home with prescription pain meds (Percocet maybe? I can't remember) that is safe for BFing. 
  • A step stool or way to get into bed if it's high up at all. I ended up making my dh lower the bed. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Ftm but i was told that icing the area can help and reduce pain and swelling but only in the first 24 hours. After that the swelling that occurs is fluid and ice won't help but it'll subside on its own. Best to just keep the area clean and dry . Suggested to have 6 to 8 localised baths/showers and a designated clean town to pat dry in that first 7-14days . Especially with stitches or tearing. 
    Midwife said hand held shower heads are perfect for it because you don't need to have a full shower every time and it only takes a few min . After going to the bathroom is a good time .
  • Have some comfortable and cute clothing choices ready. You will be "slumming it" fashion-wise for a while but you will also want to look semi-presentable when you have to leave the house for a doctor's appointment or to stop at the pharmacy/grocery store, and laundry is not going to be at the top of your list. It's better psychologically to not be stuck in actual pajamas for weeks on end but you also are not going to want to get all dressed up.

Stock up on books and things to watch on TV. There will be a lot of time sitting on the couch or in bed. We never had cable until my daughter was born, when I decided I absolutely could not endure maternity leave with just regular TV, and it was a huge help for those hours spent pumping. (my husband works for Comcast so we did get it really cheap)

In terms of personal care stuff, I didn't have any issues to speak of with my c-section scar or any more than the usual heavy bleeding that the hospital pads took care of. I just took the pain meds as prescribed and I didn't have any pain either. The worst thing that happened to my body postpartum was mastitis, and there's no way to prevent that - but I will say, if you see it developing, CALL RIGHT AWAY and get an rx for antibiotics. It is miserable and you don't want to hesitate to get the meds working. Also, if you get constipated, which is super common - I found Colace did nothing, but Miralax or even epsom salts actually helped (they're gross but adding lemon juice actually makes a difference).
    Pregnancy Ticker  
  • Padsicles are made and in the freezer, and I received a package of post-partum bath bombs (made by Earth Mama Angel Baby) as a shower gift.  Breast therapy hot/cold packs are ordered.  Pump is ordered and delivered (probably should take it out of the box, right?).  I think I just need/want to order some nipple balm (was holding out till after my last shower).  For anyone who tried it, is the nipple balm more effective than coconut oil? I have that in spades ... Has anyone used any of the milkies or other leak-catching supply-saver type bags?  I have bamboo washable leak guards, but am intrigued by the idea of the milk-savers.  Reviews from some mamas indicate they only wore those on the breast not then used for nursing/pumping to catch any let-down leakage.  Clearly a FTM here, but is that a common problem? I have a double-pump for going back to work, but am trying to sort out best practices and options for when breastfeeding at home.

I think the only mama-care thing left for me to do is move the nursing camis and bras my SIL gave me from the bureau in the guest room to my bureau.  I have a feeling that at least through maternity leave I'll be living in her soft-cup/wireless nursing bras rather than the underwire/supportive ones I bought to wear at work.  
  • @curiousfool1 I did leak a bit when nursing, but usually only on one side. It didn’t seem like enough to need a device to catch it. I probably wouldn’t purchase anything until you actually begin nursing and determine if it’s an issue for you. I would take some of the little extra milk that leaked and rubbed it on my nipple as I read it was good for the cracked nipples. 
  • samsterrrsamsterrr member
    edited October 2017
    Dermaplast spray was my best friend for about the first week. And omg those peri bottles!! Saved me since I had burning from the catheter. To be honest padsicles weren't comfortable for me because an ice cold vag just isn't fun.
    I found lanolin from the hospital to be just too thick and I didn't like it. I started using Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple cream and I LOVE it. So I have some of that. 
    Taking the stool softener will also be a big help!